rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Seborrheic dermatitis

Seborrheic dermatitis

I 've been struggling with this skin condition for 3 years now. In the last year or so i have had frequent cases of severe flares on my scalp mainly and my earlobes. I have read one of MikeCF's post about repopulating your gut where he advocates the consumption of foods containing probiotiocs. Any additional input from those who have had it and tried different things in their diet that has helped would be aprecciated. I have gone already to 3 different dermatologists and they've given all sorts of creams that have helped temporarily.I also eat a lot of eggs and kefir, are these 2 foods detrimental to my condition?

Seborrheic dermatitis

I have this too, and I've never found an answer.
I'm now trying the no shampoo method, and at first it seemed to work, but I seem to get bad flare-ups when I sleep badly or get stressed.

Seborrheic dermatitis

I have a mild case of SD. Head and Shoulders shampoo worked wonders for me, even on the face. Gently massage it on to the problem areas everyday for a week when you take a shower, you should notice a big improvement. From then on, use it every 3rd day to maintain.

Seborrheic dermatitis

Try enzymes & probiotics. I had a skin condition similar to Seborrheic dermatitis that went away after years of experimentation with different vitamins/substances/diets by simply adding an enzyme or two to each meal. Also, some enzymes were not effective for me, so you may have to experiment also.

If this is not an autoimmune disease I don't know what you should try.

Seborrheic dermatitis

I've had a bad case of this which went on for a couple of years.

I remember I used a steroid ointment (can't remember which one) on it twice daily but the real trick is to moisturize moisturize moisturize.

Use an odourless moisturizer, the oilier the better. Those nice smelling ones tend to have too much extra stuff in them, and you want as few chemicals as possible. I also have a history of eczema so I wasn't new to using so many creams.

I also used another cream for a short while but I can't remember what it was, I'll have the tube around somewhere so I'll hunt it down and let you know. It was prescribed by my dermatologist.

Anyway, good luck. Seb derm is a shitty thing to deal with, but be persistent, in most cases it should go away eventually.

Seborrheic dermatitis

Quote: (08-15-2013 07:43 AM)Acute Angle Wrote:  

I have this too, and I've never found an answer.
I'm now trying the no shampoo method, and at first it seemed to work, but I seem to get bad flare-ups when I sleep badly or get stressed.

Yes, my derm told me stress is a major cause of this condition.

Seborrheic dermatitis

This may sound strange, but this is a fairly common condition for dogs. I find that my dog's condition gets worse when I feed him fattier foods, i.e. table scarps and fat etc...

Although a bit counter-intuitive because your skin is dry and flaky, it may be that your body is seeking an alternate way to shed excess fat, through the skin.

If I was in your position and the dermatologist is useless as they so often are, I would:

1. Significantly reduce fat in the diet.

2. Juice. Visit the juicing thread. There is absolutely no way this could make it worse, and I notice as my juicing increases, skin condition improves dramatically.

Seems like your most effective solution will be a natural one.

Seborrheic dermatitis

Check out oil of oregano for this and alot of other skin conditions. I have patches that flare up under my eyes and on my chin. It has apparently worked wonders for people with even extreme symptoms - my flare-ups definitely improve quickly if I apply a drop or two 2-3 times a day to the affected area.

For your scalp, it SHOULD work just the same - maybe you would want to put a few drops in water and massage it into your scalp? I don't know. Test it on your skin somewhere else first of course to make sure there are no terrible reactions.

PROS: You will smell like pizza for a couple hours.

CONS: You will smell like pizza for a couple hours.

Seborrheic dermatitis

I have found a treatment for mine. determined that was/is caused by a yeast. so I apply the cream in the picture or american prescribed Xolegel (ketoconazole) and it goes away for a month from one application. the pics is what it used to look like. it's not me, but i had identical stuff. now it's clean skin

also these things causes flair ups

bread/beer anything with yeast

eating mushrooms (big one) apparently the mycoproteins when digested aren't processed fully by us but provide building blocks for the yeasts inside and outside

sweating and having hair on face/head. so i shave and don't sweat it. just apply the cream once every so often

also I don't use any shampoo really, any clean soap, mostly Dr. Bronners. . head and shoulders is the worst because it will cause your skin to become more oily if you stop. and that yeast eats that oil and secretes acid and that breaks down your skin layer.

Seborrheic dermatitis

My SD gets a whole lot better when I'm in a really humid country, like anywhere in SEA. Not sure of the reason - maybe my scalp is sweatier and therefore more moistened, or the shower water is a lot cooler so it doesn't wash out the natural oils.

Seborrheic dermatitis

Nizoral shampoo also contains ketoconazole. Maybe try that instead of your usual shampoo?Use 3 times per week max

Seborrheic dermatitis

Nizoral shampoo is 1% n meant to be washed off. So little retains. Cream is better

Seborrheic dermatitis

i get it on the cheeks ,seems to flare in summer. Hydrocortizone is standard treatment. Also letting the shower run on the spot will keep it from drying out.

Seborrheic dermatitis

Bump. I suspect I have SD on the skin beneath my eyebrows. Flaky and oily, white dandruff every day. No red skin though, but it feels itchy sometimes. Feels like a nightmare right now - my eyebrows have thinned considerably. I (used to) have thick eyebrows, now I'm losing a few hairs a day since summer. I'm scared to put a cream/moisturizer/whatever on because that will shed more hairs.

What's a guy to do? Haven't been to a derm, feels like everyone who's been to one have NOT been satisfied.

Seborrheic dermatitis

Take Zinc.

I had SD for years off and on. I don't get it anymore since I started supplementing with Zinc. Haven't had any flare ups in a couple years, even in the colder winter climate where it would usually always flare up.

I also use all natural soaps which help as well - Dr Bonner's and Black Nubian Soap

Seborrheic dermatitis

Ketoconazole shampoo.

Seborrheic dermatitis

Warning. you will begin itching if you google this information to verify.

Went to a dermatologist in Ukraine. They did a skin swab and looked under the microscope. Showed me too. Apparently some people, like me, get infested with demodex mites. Everyone has them. They live in the skin pores and eat sebum and flaky skin. But in some people... well I got three times the average density, some people can get 15 times.. and the inflammation is not caused by them. It is caused by the immune reaction to their gut bacteria that gets released once they die.our could be the yeasts that grow on their corpses. Either way. In order to get rid of the mites one has to rub with tea tree oil several times a day for a month and wash eye lids after a scrub with tea tree soap or diluted shampoo. Also the best thing against inflammation is nystatin cream. In the us sold against vaginal yeast infections.Best I found is 100000 unit cream made in Canada

Seborrheic dermatitis

Biz, how long before you noticed any improvement after taking Zinc? I've been taking ZMA for about 2,5 months for the same reasons. Read that B vitamins encourage hair growth (for my eyebrow loss) and my beard grows extremely now, eyebrows not much difference (though some thin spots have filled out, but other spots appear albeit slowly).

Virtus, interesting. Did not know about that and could see mites as a possible cause. I don't have red/inflamed skin at all though, which you get with SD/demodex mites if I've understood you correctly. I'm just worried rubbing tea tree oil on my eyebrows will thin them out even more; they seem to fall out very easily right now.

Seborrheic dermatitis

I use extra strength T-Gel shampoo every couple days and wash my face with Cetaphil antibacterial soap (in bar form) twice a day. This pretty much keeps mine under control. Both my father and brother also get it.

My grandpa used to get it and my uncles deal with it, so there's a genetic component at work. Like Virtus said, I've heard that it's an allergic reaction. This makes sense to me since we all have pretty bad allergies too.

"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18

Seborrheic dermatitis

You can try Dr. Moore's shampoo and scalp creme. He has a doctorate in Chemistry and Dermatology and makes his own products. Super smart guy. That is what I use. It knocked it out completely.

http://www.mooreunique.com/hair-care/sca...epair.html

[Image: dry_scalp_therapy_1.jpg]

[Image: scalp_hair_repair.jpg]

Coconut oil works okay as well as stuff with tea tree oil and shea butter, but nothing works as well as Dr. Moore's shampoo or those shampoos with tar, but the tar shampoos are strong as fuck and smell awful.

Dating Guide for Mainland China Datasheet
TravelerKai's Martial Arts Datasheet
1 John 4:20 - If anyone says, I love God, and hates (detests, abominates) his brother [in Christ], he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, Whom he has not seen.

Seborrheic dermatitis

Quote: (01-14-2015 09:07 AM)DarianFrey Wrote:  

Biz, how long before you noticed any improvement after taking Zinc? I've been taking ZMA for about 2,5 months for the same reasons. Read that B vitamins encourage hair growth (for my eyebrow loss) and my beard grows extremely now, eyebrows not much difference (though some thin spots have filled out, but other spots appear albeit slowly).

Not too sure really. I started to notice that it wasn't flaring up when it usually always does (cold weather, less sun exposure). The only thing I changed was the added Zinc everyday. I've used other supplements and change my diet every so often but the one thing I always take is Zinc.

Then I did a little research and found that it does help with the SD issue.

I used to go tanning a couple times a week during the winter to make it go away or mask it. During the summer it was less of a problem due to being in the sun more often and having some what of a base tan. I no longer go tanning.

Seborrheic dermatitis

I concur on the zinc as well. When i did get bumps while taking zinc, they were MUCH smaller and much less painful.

1 John 4:20 - If anyone says, I love God, and hates (detests, abominates) his brother [in Christ], he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, Whom he has not seen.

Seborrheic dermatitis

Quote: (01-14-2015 02:20 PM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

Coconut oil works okay as well as stuff with tea tree oil and shea butter, but nothing works as well as Dr. Moore's shampoo or those shampoos with tar, but the tar shampoos are strong as fuck and smell awful.

Thanks for the info.

I'm also slightly concerned that putting coal tar (T-Gel) on your skin is probably not all that healthy. It could be just environmentalist nonsense, but I don't really know. There are currently arguments for and against it leading to an increased risk of skin cancer.

I'll check this stuff out for sure.

"Men willingly believe what they wish." - Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico, Book III, Ch. 18

Seborrheic dermatitis

Quote: (01-14-2015 02:49 PM)TheWastelander Wrote:  

Quote: (01-14-2015 02:20 PM)TravelerKai Wrote:  

Thanks for the info.

I'm also slightly concerned that putting coal tar (T-Gel) on your skin is probably not all that healthy. It could be just environmentalist nonsense, but I don't really know. There are currently arguments for and against it leading to an increased risk of skin cancer.

I'll check this stuff out for sure.

Anything with petroleum and sulfuric/tar stuff is somewhat harmful to the skin just based on the way it strips everything out, water, oil, moisture, sebum, etc. If your scalp is too dry and stripped out, it will affect the quality of your hair itself. It also slightly fades the color of your hair too.

Cancer risks aside, there is just better stuff to use right now. Natural stuff like zinc, tea tree oil, coconut oil, etc.

Zinc is so damn good it keeps my razor bumps down some and the SD like bumps I get on my body that occasionally happen.

Seborrheic dermatitis

@ Virtus
Yeh, i agree, yeast overgrowth causes all kinds of ailments including SD.

Good way to kill off little fuckers is combination of 2 of RVF stalwarts.
ACV & bicarbonate/baking soda.

2 x 5ml tsp ACV, half x 5ml tsp bicarbs, add to 200ml of bottled water.
Sip, don't gulp, the mixture over say 2 mins.
Do this twice a day, morning/night. Do this for 5 days then have 2 days off, rinse & repeat.
During schedule drink at least 2ltrs of bottled water per day to wash out toxins from yeast die-off.
Also refrain from any sugars, yeast,(beer,bread,soda,candy,fast foods, even fruit is full of sugars)

Wrote a couple of posts on this on the ACV thread recently, with recommendations for some books & a web site full of great reading.

@ TheWastelander
Seems to sort out probs with allergies too, think they are all kinda related to the bad yeast.
Big Pharma like to mask symptoms but don't cure it, so you have to keep using their product.
Anything with azole at the end of it being prime examples.

Nystatin also comes in liquid form which you drop on your tongue, it's an anti-fungal med, yeast is a fungus!

Coconut oil also has anti-fungal properties.