rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

El Nido, Palawan, Philippines

Palawan is truly a wondrous place.

[Image: attachment.jpg16369]

This elongated island that stretches to the southwest from just off the coast of the Philippines’ largest island, Luzon, is pretty much untouched by the generic throng of tourists who mostly favor such commercialized getaways as Boracay and Subic.

Fools! If they only knew…

Something that is really remarkable about Palawan is its vibe. Setting foot there during my last trip to the Philippine archipelago last September, I quickly noticed that there is still a very primal and adventurous aura that the place gives off. Few places I have ever been to have given me that impression. I smell excitement in its fresh air.

[Image: attachment.jpg16792]   

Palawan, home to about 25% of all species of animals in the Philippines, is a clean island with little-to-no crime. The people are friendly, hospitable, honest and acclimated to foreign visitors. There is also a very nature-loving culture in Palawan. Illegal logging and illegal fishing are successfully prevented. Littering is strictly prohibited and in certain parts of the island, so is smoking. In my opinion, Californians, Canadians and Europeans as well as any other environmentalists or adventurers would absolutely love it here.

And so began my memorable trek.

Luckily my brother (not by blood, but by Frat) was on board, as were a couple of female friends we brought with us. Once we deplaned at the small, rural airport in Puerto Princesa (PP), arguably the most developed town in Palawan (after all, it is the provincial capitol) we walked to the terminal and collected our belongings. Tourists will find that they will immediately encounter stalls promoting the different tour packages available which are run by different tour agencies. We decided that since another fraternity brother of ours, a local who grew up in the island province, was unavailable to meet with us in PP due to the flu season bug floating around at the time, that we’d spend the first few days in Palawan at one of the most northern towns in the island, called El Nido (EN).

When one hears of EN, it is usually spoken with hushed, reverent tones. A place of beauty. Sights that spur wanderlust. It is here that the beaches of legend inspired the author, Alex Garland, to write his novel The Beach as seen in the film of the same name starring Leonardo DiCaprio. More recently, the film Bourne Legacy was shot and filmed in the islands near EN.

I was excited to finally see the place for myself. And so I did.

Now there are a few ways to get to EN…

1) You can fly there directly from Manila. Not recommended, as it can be comparatively more expensive. At around 7000.00 to 12,000.00 Philippine Pesos (Php) for a one way flight, depending on the season, it can’t compare to the deal we got from Cebu Pacific Airlines 690.00 Php (plus taxes and fees) for a one way flight to PP.

2) Island Hopping by boat. Again, not recommended, the boats are probably not the type of boats you are hoping for. It will be smaller and flimsier than what you are imagining and the boat ride will take you hours on end. Only do this if you are a die hard adventurer.

3) Take an air-conditioned shuttle van or a bus from PP that will clock about 5 to 6 hours over a winding, crooked, bumpy ride. Emphasis on bumpy.

One thing about taking a trip to the Philippines that you’ll want to remember (and also in most similar countries) is that it’s okay to haggle. Ask for 10-25% discounts. No one will judge you harshly for simply asking and peddlers will typically pad up the prices in anticipation of being bargained down. Being somewhat financially savvy, I discreetly went from stall to stall at the airport and got the tour operators to out bid each other. What would have normally been a 700.00 Php shuttle van ride per person to EN, ended up costing us 600.00 Php instead.

We left PP not long after and about three hours into the trip, the shuttle van stopped at an eatery for dinner. It’s a typical style of restaurant for most Filipinos. Rice plates and you pick an entree or ulam to go with it. Not much choice here… It seemed to me that the eatery had the lion’s share of shuttled tourists. They were probably in cahoots with the shuttle service…

The second leg of the trip was a lot more bumpy. The paved roads gave way to soil and rock and they were much more unforgiving. Remember what I said? Primal. I now understood why mainstream tourists have not poured into these western islands en masse. Further, more efficient development is necessary to make the towns more accessible and less rough on the travelers. Heck, the German guy traveling with us had to stop the van in order to hurl his road-sickness away as his Filipina girlfriend lovingly pat him on the back by the roadside. That said, the experience gave me new respect for the people who *have* been to EN and made it back. It was a hard road getting there. Waaay off the beaten path. When the poor German guy finally felt a bit better, we continued on. I wasn’t feeling too well myself. Not because of the road-sickness… rather, I was starting to get feverish off the flu season that was sweeping through the country. Luckily, my Frat Bro was in a more social mood and chatted up the Filipinos next to us. An older gentleman, Oliver, and an attractive younger woman which we assumed to be his daughter, Rose. Both of them would later on share some of our EN adventure.

As we neared EN, Oliver had mentioned that they planned to stay at a modest hotel called the Sands Inn. Rooms there would only cost the two of them 1200.00 Php for a non air-conditioned room for two. Frat Bro and I looked at each other and nodded. We agreed to go along and stay at the Sands Inn as well. There was something about these two that seemed very agreeable to us. They were very easy-going people. Oliver gave off an experienced man’s air. Probably in his mid 40′s, he was well built and spoke with a calm, learned demeanour. He then introduced us to the lovely young lady whom he took on this trip as her 21st birthday present. She must have easily been less than half his age. We found out she wasn't his daughter. She was his wife. Our collective jaws went slack.

At the ‘station’ (if it could be called that, since it consisted of nothing more than four posts, a steel roof and some bamboo benches) we stretched our stiff legs from the long ride. It was raining hard. The rainy season discouraged much of the tourism, but on the other hand, that made a trip to Palawan in the middle of September considerably cheaper. We didn’t mind. Philippine rain was as warm as I remembered it. Or perhaps it was only because Michigan rain was so damn cold in my memories… Hmmm. I'll have to ponder this some other time…

We rode a tricycle to town. It was dark. So dark that I didn’t realize we were already in the midst of town when the driver dropped us off in front of the Inn. Stepping out of the rain, the Innkeeper, a kindly old lady greeted us with a candle lamp.

Apparently, there was a power outage. At first, I thought because of the storm but later learned that in EN, electricity is cut off on purpose during a set time in the wee hours of the night. A scheduled brown-out, she called it.

It made no sense for us then to book an air-conditioned room only to be left in the heat and without power at night. Our room ended up costing 1600.00 Php for the four of us. Frat Bro crashed dead-tired and without a word on one bed to the side of the spartan room. As for myself, I sweated off my fever on the bottom bunk of our double-decker bed. The two friends with us, Weng and Lovelly, tended to me that night. It touches my heart that Filipina women are so compassionate and caring. Lovelly went to the store and purchased some cold medicine, while little Weng made me some warm tea.

I felt much better in the morning. When the storm passed, so did my fever it seemed. I woke up to this view from the hotel balcony.

Everyone should wake up to this view, at least once in a while.

[Image: attachment.jpg16794]   

We spent the first day in EN just relaxing. Oliver and Rose had disappeared, kayaking off somewhere. The German guy and his girlfriend were apparently staying at our Inn as well. He was looking much better, breathing in the salty sea air and marveling over the same view as I was. Later on, when Frat Bro woke up (that lazy bum…) we walked around town for a bit. Looked at some souvenirs. I bought some purple pearls for a good friend back home who was all about the colour purple. We had an unremarkable lunch at a nearby eatery.

One thing I noticed here, was there were a lot of foreigners backpacking across town even during the off-season. El Nido itself is not all that big. You can walk from one end of town to the other in about an hour. There is a airstrip nearby for small chartered planes and a single small pier that docks boats from the town of Coron, located at an island to the north.

With Frat Bro as the camera man, the girls and I went to explore Orange Beach, about 5 km outside town. We had to take a tricycle ride to get there and hike down a dirt path. The beach, unlike the one at the coast of EN, was unbesmirched by any boats. Though there were a few houses here and there and a simple resort nearby, the area was pretty secluded for the most part and made for a relaxing beach-walk.

Orange Beach Walk.

[Image: attachment.jpg16795]   

The rains were on and off that day. We took a brief respite from the downpour at an unused hut along the shore. Not fifteen minutes later, the hard rain stopped and we continued along. Frat Bro and I, the old farts that we are, stopped at the resort and took a coffee break while the girls set off to explore the stony shoals, looking at starfishes and shells.

This was the life, I remember thinking. Taking all the time that day to do absolutely nothing was enjoyable. The fast-paced life, a world away in the US, was but a distant memory. Doubtlessly, the French tourists sipping on their coffee next to us were thinking something quite similar. C’est la vie.

We headed back as the sun went down.

Seeing Oliver and Rose back at the Sands Inn, we invited them to dinner. As we had no particular place in mind yet… we walked along the beach-side of town and saw a ‘resto-bar’ that had tables along the shore, complete with tiki torches. Bingo. Particular place found.

We feasted on fish and meat and beer and to celebrate Rose's birthday, we got even more liquored up!

[Image: attachment.jpg16796]   

We could hear the chatter of some Americans, Europeans and Filipinos in the background. You could probably run game but the local pickings are slim in a small town such as this. Which is why we decided to 'pack lunch' with us to El Nido by inviting the girls. Though it is always possible to find a pretty local or snag a lonely tourist, especially since we were here off-season, I would still probably not recommend making this trip with the sole intention of gaming. There are better places for that.

Later, live music was put on by the local band. The night drifted on slowly. Next thing you know, we were relaxing at a hookah bar next door. It’s evenings like these that melt all the stress away.

Suitably having elevated my blood alcohol level, I drifted off as the girls helped lay us to bed.

I was up early next morning. The old lady Innkeeper had a boat ready for us to take on one of the 4 tour packages… Tour A, B, C, and D as has been standardized by provincial government of Palawan, in order to have a single price point across the board for all tour guide services. This would keep boat operators from having to out do each other. On the positive, it also provides funds to license and train operators in first aid, historical knowledge of the tour sites, and helps run environmental protection programs for the coral reefs. Not having any experience here, we took Tour A, which was a whole day island hopping boat ride to visit the Big Lagoon, Small Lagoon, Secret Lagoon, Shimizu Island and the Seven Commandos Beach. The tours range from 700.00 Php per person to 900.00 Php, depending on which of the 4 you choose. In addition there is a 200.00 Php per person environmental tax. No negotiating these fees, unfortunately.

As for the other tour options, I heard that Tour C was highly recommended and included a visit to a Secret Beach. Tour B was mostly cave sites and Tour D was somewhat lackluster. So, when you get here… I'd recommend trying A or C unless you are some kind of spelunk-o-phile, in which case Tour B might suit your fancy.

The boat ride to the tour site took about an hour… There were seven of us on the tour. Myself along with Frat Bro, the girls, Oliver and Rose and a new comer as well, a British National who looked Indian to me, checked into the Inn the night before.

The lagoons we visited were incredibly amazing. The Big Lagoon was like an entrance into some exotic undiscovered kingdom, it kept winding inwards and kept on going until a rounded-out dead end, deep inland. It felt like a scene taken out from an Indiana Jones movie. “Indiana Jones and the Secret Lagoon.”

A wide open pool awaits at the end of the Big Lagoon water way.

[Image: attachment.jpg16797]   

They say that the lagoons in the area used to be caves hundreds of years ago. When the ceiling of the caves collapsed, presumably due to the volcanic activity of Pacific Ring of Fire, lagoons like these were formed.

Upon reaching the next site, Small Lagoon, the boat operators allowed us to swim with life preservers. We explored mini caves that had beams of sunlight peeking through and we swam around the turquoise waters of the lagoon to our heart's content. One of the guides mentioned that the water was even clearer than this during the summer, when there were no rains or currents to disturb the white sand below.

At Shimizu Island, we snorkeled amongst the schools of fishes. I think I spotted a mermaid.

[Image: attachment.jpg16798]   

Our boat operators found us a little cove that would be suitable for cooking lunch. Earlier that day, before leaving EN, the old Innkeeper gave our tour guides some fresh fish, squid, and pork chops as well as tons of rice, veggies and fruits all packed safely within the boat. They then grilled us up a sumptuous feast which we proceeded to destroy!

[Image: attachment.jpg16799]   

What better way to experience the trip than to eat fresh, natural food at a deserted white sand beach. We all ate heartily.

Oliver, the Brit and I got into an investments and travel conversation. Apparently, the Brit made a lot of money in the banking trade which afforded him the chance to travel freely. I admit I was jealous that he’s seen quite a bit of the world.

Everybody else probably found our intense currency discussion very boring as they scattered to the winds. Rose was taking a dip in the beach and Frat Bro was playing photographer to the two girls who enjoyed modeling around the stunning cove. Frat Bro, the smooth and sly bastard that he is, packed a couple of self-branded T-shirts and told them he needed to make calendar pictures. The girls eagerly put them on and posed for him. Together, they hugged and giggled for their first shot. There would be many more through the day up until one final shot that night.

The last stop after having our filling lunch, was the 7 Commandos beach. Not terribly far from EN, this beach was so named after 7 Japanese commandos who held out in the jungles long after World War II was won by the Allies. Much of the area has been fenced off, presumably by whoever purchased the land, however, the beach is still accessible to the public. There is even a store nearby if you want to sip on coconuts while sun bathing.

Sadly, we didn’t have a lot of time and there was still much more of Palawan to explore. Near sundown, we cut through the waves back to EN. That day on the islands and among the fishes will be a day I’ll always remember. I wish I was back there even now.

Once back to the Inn, we quickly packed our bags. But there was still a bit of time afterwards for dinner before our shuttle was scheduled to depart EN. So, we invited Oliver and Rose to a farewell dinner. We had to leave soon, but they still had a few days to spend in town. We dined at La Chupetta, a very simple Italian resto-bar serving perfectly al dente pasta.

We then wished our new friends good luck and safe journeys and went our separate ways.

The road back to Puerto Princesa wasn’t as bad as I remembered. But perhaps, that was because thoughts of El Nido still lingered in our minds.

It is a very difficult place to forget.

[Image: attachment.jpg16801]   

Very well written my friend! While reading this, due to your detailed writing, I was able to follow you on your journey quiet vividly. You should start your own blog with your stories as I'm sure you have your more than fair share of them. And you have a talent for writing.

Is April a good time of the year to go there? Needless to say I'm very tempted..

Did you take two girls with you as per the pic of you on that beach holding hands with two birdies? It doesn't get any better than this, a paradisical setting such as El Nido and with two sweet and sexy Filipinas. I could disappear in such a place for a few years...

Quote: (02-01-2014 03:32 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Very well written my friend! While reading this, due to your detailed writing, I was able to follow you on your journey quiet vividly. You should start your own blog with your stories as I'm sure you have your more than fair share of them. And you have a talent for writing.

Is April a good time of the year to go there? Needless to say I'm very tempted..

Did you take two girls with you as per the pic of you on that beach holding hands with two birdies? It doesn't get any better than this, a paradisical setting such as El Nido and with two sweet and sexy Filipinas. I could disappear in such a place for a few years...

Hahaha, thanks bro! I'm trying to cultivate my knack for writing and hopefully monetize it. In the mean time, I'll keep practicing where ever it is welcome.

April is prime time during the Philippine's summer months. While travel there may be comparatively more expensive, the season will be more forgiving with less rains, less currents and therefore more crystal clear waters. Could definitely be worth it. I am certainly going to return to Palawan during summer in the next few years. Why not take your Davao girl on vacation there?

And yeah, we had to bring our girls with us. I had a feeling there wouldn't be much gameable locals (that would suit my taste) and I certainly wasn't going to approach any American women* tourists, so Frat Bro and I called up a couple of friends who were locals living near our old university. We hung out with them during a previous trip and they were DTP. Down to Palawan. lol

* Said with utter disdain.

Good breakdown. I was there and did almost exactly the same thing. Palawan is indeed a paradise.

One day, I think I'll have a modest house here to escape the hustle and bustle of the connected world. I should save up, with one per continent as the goal. I've got my place in San Francisco, one here in El Nido, one somewhere outside of Rio... perhaps Barra de Tijiuca so I can practice my BJJ... Let's see... that leaves Europe, Africa and Oceania... so maybe, Croatia, South Africa and New Zealand.

One can certainly dream.

Awesome thread Scott. I went to Palawan 2 years ago but was with family. We stayed at Daluyon near Sabang beach. There was a lot of property for sale on the island, cheap by American standards but def out of my price range. Would love to go back to check out El Nido but will most likely have to use my limited time and money checking out a different island.

Quote: (03-15-2015 10:27 PM)FortYrOldVirgin Wrote:  

Awesome thread Scott. I went to Palawan 2 years ago but was with family. We stayed at Daluyon near Sabang beach. There was a lot of property for sale on the island, cheap by American standards but def out of my price range. Would love to go back to check out El Nido but will most likely have to use my limited time and money checking out a different island.

Maaan, I'd love to scoop me up some beachfront land out there. The waters are calm, there weather is nice... Typhoons typically die down by the time they get to Palawan after they cross all the other islands along the way to the East. Hardly any crime. I mean, really the only to worry about is a Chinese Invasion...

Definitely try and go up to El Nido next chance you get... I've never been more content than I was up there. The place is even better than I describe here, if you can believe that. I'll be checking out Cebu soon, but already thinking of either Coron or Davao after that...

We totally skipped Palawan because of malaria... Ahh, big mistake.

Great pics too.

Great story and great place to go. I've been there in 2010. They were just preparing to start on new roads. All roads were still dirtroads. And I took a non-aircon local bus there. I think OP had a luxury ride compared to me [Image: smile.gif]

Book - Around the World in 80 Girls - The Epic 3 Year Trip of a Backpacking Casanova

My new book Famles - Fables and Fairytales for Men is out now on Amazon.

Quote: (05-11-2015 12:53 PM)iknowexactly Wrote:  

Great pics too.

And they're all original pics from my Nikon too, in case that was ever in doubt. [Image: smile.gif]

Quote: (05-11-2015 03:26 PM)Spike Wrote:  

Great story and great place to go. I've been there in 2010. They were just preparing to start on new roads. All roads were still dirtroads. And I took a non-aircon local bus there. I think OP had a luxury ride compared to me [Image: smile.gif]

Oh man, I can just imagine the bumpy ride you had to put up with... Well, the reward was worth it, am I right?!

^^ yep, you sure are. Its an amazing place. I did an all day snorkeling/fishing/BBQ trip with only 3 others for 5 bucks there. Unteal pricing and stunning nature and underwater scenery.
Stayed 5 days, could have stayed 5 months [Image: smile.gif]

Book - Around the World in 80 Girls - The Epic 3 Year Trip of a Backpacking Casanova

My new book Famles - Fables and Fairytales for Men is out now on Amazon.

I chose Bohol over Palawan on my own trip back in October because i saw malaria warnings for Palawan. Can someone comment on how widespread malaria actually is on Palawan? It was rainy season during my trip and that might have had some impact as well?

Well written.. Nice shots. Will consider if I go, and I will "pack lunch" lol.

Palawan has excellent diving, I dove in PP and off Coron Island, which is off the northern tip of Palawan. PP has some decent reef diving but nothing too impressive, the better stuff is farther out in the Tubbataha reef but we didn't go, Coron however, had the most impressive diving I've ever done and it was truly one of the most amazing life experiences I've ever had: diving in and out of bombed out WWII Japanese war ships! I didn't dive El Nido but heard it was also really good, I was too busy getting drunk on the beach there and island hopping. I flew into PP from Cebu, bused it to El Nido then took a shitty eight hour boat to Coron then flew to Manila from there. Palawan really is a nice place, not the craziest party spot but the the diving and beaches make for a very interesting and relaxing vacation, I highly recommend making it a part of your Philippines trip for at least a week.

Quote: (05-12-2015 04:14 PM)Gunnar Wrote:  

I chose Bohol over Palawan on my own trip back in October because i saw malaria warnings for Palawan. Can someone comment on how widespread malaria actually is on Palawan? It was rainy season during my trip and that might have had some impact as well?

I had not heard anything at all about that. There were no signs or warnings or anything about Malaria there the whole time I was or even now. It's a pretty large island, relative to the rest of the Philippines, personally, I think you'd be alright. Just take the necessary precautions. Mosquito repellent, netting, etc.

Quote: (05-12-2015 07:32 PM)scotian Wrote:  

Palawan has excellent diving, I dove in PP and off Coron Island, which is off the northern tip of Palawan. PP has some decent reef diving but nothing too impressive, the better stuff is farther out in the Tubbataha reef but we didn't go, Coron however, had the most impressive diving I've ever done and it was truly one of the most amazing life experiences I've ever had: diving in and out of bombed out WWII Japanese war ships! I didn't dive El Nido but heard it was also really good, I was too busy getting drunk on the beach there and island hopping. I flew into PP from Cebu, bused it to El Nido then took a shitty eight hour boat to Coron then flew to Manila from there. Palawan really is a nice place, not the craziest party spot but the the diving and beaches make for a very interesting and relaxing vacation, I highly recommend making it a part of your Philippines trip for at least a week.

Tubbataha Reef is definitely a must see for divers. It is one of the most precious treasures of the Philippine islands.

WWII Japanese Warship diving?! I hadn't known about that! That should be quite the experience! Coron is on my list!

Scotian, could you recommend a hotel (or area) in Purto Princesa to say? Are there "touristy" things in PP (bars, beaches, etc)?

Quote: (07-19-2015 02:55 AM)Northern Wrote:  

Scotian, could you recommend a hotel (or area) in Purto Princesa to say? Are there "touristy" things in PP (bars, beaches, etc)?

You didn't ask me, but I would recommend not staying in Puerto at all. There's not much there. Especially if your time is limited. El Nido is where you want to be.

PM me for accommodation options in Bangkok.

Quote: (03-15-2015 10:27 PM)FortYrOldVirgin Wrote:  

Just out of curiosity, what kind of prices are we talking here?

Quote: (07-19-2015 03:53 AM)dreambig Wrote:  

Quote: (07-19-2015 02:55 AM)Northern Wrote:  

You didn't ask me, but I would recommend not staying in Puerto at all. There's not much there. Especially if your time is limited. El Nido is where you want to be.

Not *entirely* true DB... I'd spend a night or two there... Have you ever had a restaurant that served you Crocodile Sisig? Check out Kinabuch's. It's unlike anything else and is indescribably savory!

+1 for El Nido. The place is majestic. Im from the Phil and I always recommend El Nido to foreign friends who visit. About the malaria advisory, they say its more prevalent in the northern part of Palawan. But you can take meds before going if you wanna be really safe