rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Washington, DC: One of America's Best Cities

I thought this was funny/interesting in light of all the hate DC gets on the forum.

Bloomberg Businessweek came out with its latest annual rankings of the best cities in the US. DC came in at #3, after San Francisco and Seattle, respectively. This would make it the best city on the East Coast according to the report.

http://images.businessweek.com/slideshow...es#slide49

The Economist has written recently that DC is the wealthiest city in the US:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracy...hington-dc

And a few months ago, the same publication rated DC the best city in the US:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/06...54374.html

I grew up in DC and spent some of the past few years in SF (amazing city), and live in DC again now. I must say it's changed a lot, and for the better. I'm a fan of the gentrification personally. There's less crime, more businesses (restaurants, bars, coffeeshops, boutiques) popping up everyday, and the neighborhoods are a lot more interesting than they used to be. There's also a lot of well-to-do people in this town. Many of whom have interesting backgrounds and experiences. You can obtain a respectable middle class existence probably easier than in any other American city.

Compared to SF, I think the girls in DC are much better looks-wise.

It may not be the easiest place to get laid in the US, but a lot of players seem to come from here as well.

Quote: (09-28-2012 05:20 PM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

If this is true, I'm really lucky I have never been anywhere in California north of Ventura. I have a feeling many forum members are going to disagree with this statement though.

Quote: (09-28-2012 05:24 PM)Merenguero Wrote:  

If this is true, I'm really lucky I have never been anywhere in California north of Ventura. I have a feeling many forum members are going to disagree with this statement though.

There's no debate on this in my mind. All the hot girls in Cali live in Socal (LA, Orange County, San Diego). I'm not saying you won't find attractive girls in Norcal but they definitely do not live in SF. Girls in SF are of the hipster variety. Complete lack of femininity. No makeup, skirts or heels. I damn near dropped and kissed the ground when I went to DC for a summer visit while I was living in SF. There were femininely dressed girls all over U St.

Don't get me wrong though. SF is still a cool city and deserves a visit. The most progressive city in the States by far. Race relations are also the best I've seen probably anywhere in the world. I had my spots where I would go hunt better looking girls but they are small fish in a big pond.

A while back I had kicked around the idea of moving to SF for a change of scenery and to be in a more pedestrian friendly urban environment.

The cost of living combined with the wack women and Sweden-like feminist attitudes kept me in socal. Even the dudes seem problematic. A bunch of bearded hipsters and tech geeks living with 3 roommates into their mid 30s.

I decided that I'd probably enjoy SF more as a visiter than a resident. Awesome place for a weekend trip up the coast and the beauty of that area even still makes me have second thoughts of living there some day. People that live there absolutely love it.

PS - Sorry for the digression, I know this is a DC thread!

Quote: (09-28-2012 06:10 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

Even the dudes seem problematic. A bunch of bearded hipsters and tech geeks living with 3 roommates into their mid 30s.

Your whole post was on point but this really hit the nail on the head. I can't tell you how many guys I know personally who fit that description from my time in SF. SF is probably the ONLY major city in the US where it's totally acceptable for a guy in his mid-30s to have roommates. Won't hurt the swag at all. Even riding a bicycle at that age as your only form of transportation is considered cool in many circles.

That's part of the reason I like it because it's a place where pretense simply doesn't have a home, but at this point of my life I'm over it. I had a lot of fun though and it is probably the coolest city in the US in terms of just not giving a fuck.

You can buy weed (legally) with a card as easy as buying milk from a corner store. People smoke openly in front of police officers.

I knew one guy in his 30s who used to break into abandoned properties (even churches) and throw parties. It's perfectly normal to hang out with your friends at the park or ride bicycles around the city while getting high. It's a place where you feel like a kid again.

That said, the restaurants and arts in that city are world class. Best food in the US in my opinion. There's also some dope bars.

Tim Ferriss from 4-hour work week fame lives there. Bumped into him a few times.

That's funny because Ive heard SF sucks if you dont fit into the hipster/SWPL/alternative type. Same with DC and being a yuppie. I cant imagine being a regular, blue collar guy in either city and loving where you live if what Ive read on this forum is more or less true. Seems like it would be a struggle to make friends and fuck lots of girls if you dont fall into a certain category.

Sorry to high-jack this thread, but I'd like to hear Roosh's thoughts on how DC nightlife is compared to Europe.

I'm guessing he has gone out once or twice already, and am interested in his thoughts.

Also, would be interested if things changed since Roosh was last in DC.

I thought this was funny/interesting in light of all the hate DC gets on the forum.

Bloomberg Businessweek came out with its latest annual rankings of the best cities in the US. DC came in at #3, after San Francisco and Seattle, respectively. This would make it the best city on the East Coast according to the report.

http://images.businessweek.com/slideshow...es#slide49

The Economist has written recently that DC is the wealthiest city in the US:

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracy...hington-dc

And a few months ago, the same publication rated DC the best city in the US:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/07/06...54374.html

I grew up in DC and spent some of the past few years in SF (amazing city), and live in DC again now. I must say it's changed a lot, and for the better. I'm a fan of the gentrification personally. There's less crime, more businesses (restaurants, bars, coffeeshops, boutiques) popping up everyday, and the neighborhoods are a lot more interesting than they used to be. There's also a lot of well-to-do people in this town. Many of whom have interesting backgrounds and experiences. You can obtain a respectable middle class existence probably easier than in any other American city.

It may not be the easiest place to get laid in the US, but a lot of players seem to come from here as well.
DC is a good city for everything except for getting laid.

Sure there is some good looking girls here and there...but its not good enough to save the city.

Your statement is absolutely right pre-2008.

Honestly, I'd take a city of hipster girls who are def down versus a city where girls make it hell for you to fuck them and want do nothing but be wasted space. Just hot girls being there isn't enough.

I went to Philly 2 weeks ago and despite there def being more hipster girls...overall it destroys DC in terms of girls giving you a fair go.

Quote: (09-28-2012 06:55 PM)The Texas Prophet Wrote:  

Sorry to high-jack this thread, but I'd like to hear Roosh's thoughts on how DC nightlife is compared to Europe.

I'm guessing he has gone out once or twice already, and am interested in his thoughts.

Also, would be interested if things changed since Roosh was last in DC.

I can even answer about DC changing from prolly a few years before Roosh left.

Connecticut Ave/Dupont Circle had mostly women. Less Bitch Shields. More hot girls around. Getting laid was def doable and if u had a place nearby...it was def possible.

Now, fuck no.

Interesting description of SF...I have spent a lot of time in SoCal and love it there, especially the beach babes...always heard how cool SF was and how much better then SoCal it was then spent 4 days there this summer and hated it. Weather sucked, girls sucked, nightlife sucked...if you told me I would never spend another minute there I couldnt care any less.

Being a DC native I've had my times of hate w/DC - that being said I'm starting to appreciate it more and think that DC isn't the problem, the US in general is the problem. W/the exception of maybe NYC, Miami, LA, SD, and Chicago, and a couple second tier cities like Charleston, SC the whole country sucks and even those cities have their faults.

Quote: (09-28-2012 08:54 PM)Brian Wrote:  

Interesting description of SF...I have spent a lot of time in SoCal and love it there, especially the beach babes...always heard how cool SF was and how much better then SoCal it was then spent 4 days there this summer and hated it. Weather sucked, girls sucked, nightlife sucked...if you told me I would never spend another minute there I couldnt care any less.

Being a DC native I've had my times of hate w/DC - that being said I'm starting to appreciate it more and think that DC isn't the problem, the US in general is the problem. W/the exception of maybe NYC, Miami, LA, SD, and Chicago, and a couple second tier cities like Charleston, SC the whole country sucks and even those cities have their faults.

I agree with this 100%. I think what TheWolfHowls is saying about how DC has changed is pretty much the trend for all major US cities on a whole. I don't think NYC is easier today than it was, say, a decade ago. Pretty much all major US cities are being overtaken by hipsters and neighborhood rent prices are rising. It's all the same song. Same breweries, coffeeshops, gelato places, yoga, etc. US sucks..

W/the exception of maybe NYC, Miami, LA, SD, and Chicago, and a couple second tier cities like Charleston, SC the whole country sucks and even those cities have their faults.

I couldn't agree more, but the point is that D.C. is not one of the cities you mentioned, which means the situation here is pretty bad. I wouldn't put it at the bottom of U.S. cities and maybe not even put it near the bottom. In 2002, I had the misfortunate of driving from the Jersey Shore to Long Beach, California. That drive made me realize how really awful and worse than D.C. much of this country is. I planned to spend between a week and ten days driving across the country and seeing the sights and meeting all the incredibly beautiful women. About a day and a half into the trip, I realized how dismal the situation was and decided to high tail it to Southern California. I made it in about four days. The only decent place I saw between Point A and Point B was Oklahoma City. Some other posters have spoken highly of Oklahoma City on at least one other thread. Bear in mind that I made this trip in 2002 and things have only gotten worse since then.

Quote: (09-28-2012 09:11 PM)Hencredible Casanova Wrote:  

I agree with this 100%. I think what TheWolfHowls is saying about how DC has changed is pretty much the trend for all major US cities on a whole. I don't think NYC is easier today than it was, say, a decade ago. Pretty much all major US cities are being overtaken by hipsters and neighborhood rent prices are rising. It's all the same song. Same breweries, coffeeshops, gelato places, yoga, etc. US sucks..

Many cities in the Sunbelt don’t fit this profile. Most cities in the Sunbelt suck as cities, but have more hotter and friendlier women. And they're in no danger of being ultra "hipster-ized" anytime soon. Just ask El Mech.

To me, you've gotta consider the entire area, just like how LA is a collection of different towns. Hit up Baltimore, Annapolis, Arlington and Dewey/Jersey Shore in summer. And add in a couple weekend trips to NYC and NC or Philly/Pittsburgh.

Here's a few Baltimore club pics. The ratio is better, closer to 60/40:

[Image: attachment.jpg7921]   [Image: attachment.jpg7923]   [Image: attachment.jpg7924]   [Image: attachment.jpg7922]   

Yeah. That's why I made sure to say "major cities." There are some nice girls down south but I couldn't live there for practical reasons, mainly professional and cultural. There's also some nice girls out in the Midwest. But same thing.

I'm going to Denver in a few days. I've heard great things about the hookup scene. I'm also doing Boston a week after that, and then Phoenix a couple weeks after. Will be good to compare these places. I hear Phoenix has some slamming talent over in Scottsdale!

Does anyone know why so many guys have moved here since 2009? Is this happening across the country?

DC is particularly guy-heavy due to military contractors.

Quote: (09-29-2012 02:43 PM)RobP Wrote:  

I hope Obama makes some defense cuts.

Quote: (09-29-2012 05:56 PM)rakishness Wrote:  

Quote: (09-29-2012 02:43 PM)RobP Wrote:  

I hope Obama makes some defense cuts.
He is. The budget has gone down. They're laying off govt contractors. [Image: smile.gif]. Sad for people to lose their jobs but better for less guys to be around.

redacted

Is the level of game going down in DC? Lots of dudes but they're twiddling their thumbs.

Quote: (09-30-2012 09:00 AM)Roosh Wrote:  

Is the level of game going down in DC? Lots of dudes but they're twiddling their thumbs.

I'm not sure. Guys here like to go out. But they don't really approach.
I was at lost society last night and the dudes were just standing around. The ratio wasn't good but there was some talent in there.

I was at. science club last night. A lot of cliques but I was able to open by hanging out in the smoking area. Smoker-game!

Science Club is still going, wow.

Went to Marvin.. it has definitely changed when I used to go. It used to a a pseudo-hipster joint but last night it felt like Arlington. Lame.

Yeah, Roosh, just my opinion but I think U St. area has gotten a lot more douchey than it was 2 years ago.
Not sure what's better, but some of the west side has nice GW gals.