rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

15 hours in Taiwan...what would you do?
5 hours in Taiwan...what would you do?
Hello,

I will be having a 15-hour layover in Taiwan sometime in March (it's more like 17, but I'm not counting travel to and from the airport) and I've never been to this country before. I would like your recommendations as to what you would do if this were your first, and possibly last time in Taiwan (just in case other countries always keep winning out).

I'm not necessarily trying to pick up any girls, but I would like to see some of the best of the best the country has to offer in case of future trips (what areas do they frocolic in?).

I'll probably be there on a Friday or Saturday.

Any recommendations would be appreciated. Food? Hot Springs? etc. I'm not an anti-Museum, church, art barbarian, but I'm not really looking to see those cultural sights if I'm only in town for 15 hours.
I've been to Taipei (which I'm assuming is what city you're flying into) a couple of times so I may be able to help you. I don't know what hours you will be there but for tourist sites, the absolute must-do in my opinion is Elephant Mountain. It's about a 15-20 minute hike to the top but once you get there, you will have an absolutely amazing view of the city, specifically the Taipei 101 tower. The tower itself also offers great views of the whole city but it's a bit pricey for a view. If $20 isn't an object to you, it can be worth it though.

As for food and entertainment, get some damn noodles at a local shop. They are delicious and it's one thing I miss greatly about the country. I don't know if you'll be there on a weekend at night, but some decent clubs I've been through include Omni (more expensive and upscale than others in the city), Babe18 (good if you are younger or like the younger crowd and on a budget), and Box if you really want a local scene with no foreigners (though some argue it's too low class). If you do get lucky, Taipei is a city that does offer rooms in regular hotels for quick 1-2 hour bangs ($20 at some places, no this isn't for prostitutes as I've used it on regular girls).

Hot springs are a bit far out of the city for a short layover to be honest. You'd probably have to commit all of your time to it if you go that route. The museums in Taipei are not great to be honest so I wouldn't recommend them anyway lol.

This is what I can think of off the top of my head but I'd be happy to help with anything else.

As far back as I could remember, I always wanted to be a player.

2018 New Orleans Datasheet
New Jersey State Datasheet
Are you landing at Taoyuan (more likely) or Songshan airport? Either way, Uber into Taipei. Walk around Xinyi and take photos of 101, take a stroll through SYS Hall and Dunhua and then eat on Yongkang Street; make the line up for the Din Tai Fung there.

National Palace Museum is a bit out of the way, but if you only go to one museum do that. Alternately, you could go to Xinbeitou and enjoy the hot springs there. If you prefer a waterside stroll with a tour of a Spanish fort, night market, and Victorian mansion, take the MRT to Danshui.

The aforementioned spots have lots of people at them, and lots of women.
yankeetravels and Super_Fire, I really appreciate the answers.

I believe I'll be arriving around 5am and leaving Taiwan around 11pm.

If I do go to one of these night clubs and happen to pick up a girl for a quick bang, is there any chance she'd lead me towards the short stay hotel? I've heard that sometimes in Japan, the girls will lead you there (literally). Also, since I have no language skill, I'd probably strike out at the "Box" club, no?

What should I do during the first hours until businesses start opening (since my flight arrives at 5am). Maybe I'll try to pipeline a guide that can take me to a early breakfast spot.

Also, while I do like hot springs, I guess it's not too smart as it'll probably keep me from exploring the rest of the city.
I spent two nights in Taipei and met up with a couple forum mates. I had fun and enjoyed it but I left feeling I barely scratched the surface. It seemed to me as a less than exciting city for a short term tourist (compared to other Asian capitals) but it has some underground element that takes some time to discover.

For example, I thought the food was shit. But then I went to a place a forum member suggested and it was fantastic, and cost like $5.

“There is no global anthem, no global currency, no certificate of global citizenship. We pledge allegiance to one flag, and that flag is the American flag!” -DJT
For the love of all that is holy, don't go to Box.

Also Taiwanese food is mostly shit but the Western and Japanese food is among the best in Asia if you are willing to spend a bit. Din Tai Fung is overhyped and not worth queuing ages for in such a short time window. Go to Kao Chi around the corner for food of almost the same quality at much better prices and no waiting time. On Yongkang there are also a handful of quite decent Japanese izakayas.
Quote: (03-02-2018 07:20 AM)atlant Wrote:  

For the love of all that is holy, don't go to Box.

Why the hate for Box? Sure it's not the most upscale club, but it was probably my favorite of the ones I explored in Taipei because it's off the beaten path and it's a great place to get away from westerners. I noticed there's too many sometimes in the main clubs. Not to mention the staff treated me like a prince over there for being one of the rare westerners to explore it.

As far back as I could remember, I always wanted to be a player.

2018 New Orleans Datasheet
New Jersey State Datasheet
Damn, you guys have now piqued my interest about "Box". I may have to check it out if time permits.

I plan to travel really light (might not even carry a backpack, since it's kind of a new thing I'm working on). Just in case I do get invited to a semi-decent club where I should dress decent, what's the best (price and location-wise) H&M or Uniqlo-type store to get decent threads?
Being from Mainland China, when I visited Taipei for the first time, I found it to be quite underwhelming. My initial impression of the place was that it almost felt like a second tier city back home, being quite small with dilapidated-looking buildings and an insane amount of scooters. It didn't even feel first world.

However, as I returned to visit the city for several more times, it grew on me for each visit and now its one of my favorite cities in Asia even though I vehemently disagree with current Taiwanese politics. While its not as glamorous on first sight, you'll quickly see that everything works in Taiwan at first world standards and its an extremely clean place, the quality of life is high, and the costs are very low for a first world territory. Best girls in Asia in my opinion too.

Since you'll be there for only 15 hours from 5 am to 11 pm, I don't recommend that you focus on picking up girls. Of course, you can try pipelining a cute chick as your guide and try running game on her, but you should focus on getting a feel of the place. If you like it during your 15 hour stay there, come back again next time for a 15 day stay and do both daygame and night game then. What I'll be writing won't cover nightlife at all, but just what I think are good places to explore in Taipei during the day.

For an early breakfast, I recommend Yonghe Soy Milk King for a traditional Chinese breakfast. Get their fried dough cruellers and soy milk. If soy milk makes you sick like me, they have rice milk which is really good and digestive. They are open 24/7 and a great first stop in the city.

After that, you can explore many of the alleys near the breakfast to see what normal, everyday life is like in Taipei. Safety is not an issue whatsoever and almost everybody lives in an apartment in the alleys as apartments facing the main road are too noisy due to an excessive amount of scooters.

Of course, you can't visit Taipei without hanging out on Zhongxiao East Road. That's the main road in Taipei and most cool things are there, from restaurants to malls to clubs. Excellent place to daygame too. I recommend that you walk the entire stretch starting at Zhongxiao Fuxing metro station and ending at Xinyi district where Taipei 101 is. Make sure to explore to explore the alleys branching out from Zhongxiao as a lot of cool stuff are in the alleys and smaller streets. You should definitely walk around the area near the 101 but in my opinion it doesn't catch the vibe of Taipei well, if at all. Its optional to go to the top of 101 as the view is not so great as Taipei looks really shabby for a first world city

For lunch, you can eat at any of the appetizing looking places located in the alleys. Most of the good mom and pop places are tucked away inside alleys. Taiwanese people are absolutely obsessed with Japanese culture and visiting Japan, so the Japanese food there is top notch and very on point. There are a lot of good mom and pop Japanese restaurants in the alleys and its very easy to spot them.

Make sure you spend at least a part of your afternoon Zhongxiao East Road in order to gauge the quality of girls in Taipei. The entire street is excellent for daygame with ground zero of Taipei daygame full of fly chicks being the stretch between Pacific Sogo Mall and Ice Monster, which has excellent mango shaved ice. Its always packed with Japanese girls but its an excellent place I'd bring a girl on a date to. The majority of non-Taiwanese girls you'll meet in Zhongxiao Dunhua are Japanese girls, many of whom are really fly. On the Taipei Metro, that stretch is the area by the Zhongxiao Dunhua station. As far as sightseeing goes, SYS Hall as Super_Fire mentioned is also on this stretch of Zhongxiao East Road.

Later on in the afternoon, you can take a cab (I think Uber is banned in Taipei but you should double check. Use Uber instead if its available) or the metro to the Shida area. That's where Yongkang Street as Super_Fire mentioned is. CKS Memorial Hall is also there and you can check that out. Also, just wantonly stroll around that area, check google maps to see which streets have the highest concentration of shops, as these areas will have the most foot traffic with the most fly girls. While there are less stunners in this area compared to Zhongxiao Dunhua, its more or less a college town in that area with multiple universities within a 1 mile radius so its gonna be loaded with Taiwanese college chicks.

For dinner, eat at Shida Night Market. Din Tai Fung is overrated as its Shanghainese food, which you should go to Shanghai for that. I'd stick to local Taiwanese dishes and Japanese food in Taiwan. While Shilin Night Market way up on the northern edge of Taipei is much more famous, its just way too crowded with people literally standing over your shoulder waiting for a spot when you eat and a tourist trap with mediocre food anyways. Shida Night Market is much better.
Quote: (03-02-2018 02:40 PM)Mr.GoodThread Wrote:  

Damn, you guys have now piqued my interest about "Box". I may have to check it out if time permits.

I plan to travel really light (might not even carry a backpack, since it's kind of a new thing I'm working on). Just in case I do get invited to a semi-decent club where I should dress decent, what's the best (price and location-wise) H&M or Uniqlo-type store to get decent threads?

Uniqlo Mingyao Flagship is the biggest Uniqlo in Taipei and full of fly chicks with plenty of opportunities to game. Its in the Zhongxiao Dunhua area that is ground zero for both volume and quality in all of Taipei as I just described.
Aquarius, I REALLY appreciate your write up. I'm going to try to check out most of what you wrote up.

I've lived in Japan in the past and I like the women alot, so that'll be an added bonus as I stroll around.
Quote: (03-04-2018 12:10 AM)Mr.GoodThread Wrote:  

Aquarius, I REALLY appreciate your write up. I'm going to try to check out most of what you wrote up.

I've lived in Japan in the past and I like the women alot, so that'll be an added bonus as I stroll around.

Thanks man, really appreciate it! I spent quite a while compiling this.

Perfect, if you lived in Japan and liked J-girls, Taipei is gonna be a blast for sure! If you want me to describe the vibe of Taipei in one sentence, I'd say its a cheaper tropical Japanese city that's in between the size of Osaka and Nagoya with shabbier looking buildings that uses the Chinese language instead. And while Taiwanese girls will be the significant majority everywhere you go in Taipei including Zhongxiao Dunhua, many fly girls in Taipei have a bit of a Japanese vibe to them except in my opinion even hotter than Japanese girls and English levels in Taipei are higher than Tokyo, so you are in luck if you like J-girls!
Kinda sucks that it's just a layover then, but I'll go there for a longer period within the next 2 years I'm sure.
Hey guys, I'll be in Taiwan next week (11th - 19th March), mainly in Taipei but will head out of town. Hit me up if you're around to grab a beer.
Taiwan is tight. I liked it more than I thought I would. I stopped there for a long layover not too long ago. Now I want to go back there when I get a chance, although I will be taking the wife and kids with me I suppose. I just shopped and looked around.

It was like a cheaper version of Hong Kong in some ways. Interesting place. Wish I had gone there sooner.

Dating Guide for Mainland China Datasheet
TravelerKai's Martial Arts Datasheet
1 John 4:20 - If anyone says, I love God, and hates (detests, abominates) his brother [in Christ], he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, Whom he has not seen.
Can anyone let me know whether Taiwan (specifically Taipei) has lockers in the same way that Tokyo would have lockers that you would pay 300 to 400 Yen and place your stuff in for the day?

Also, also do you know if Taiwan has a Weekly Magazine with a whole bunch of events listed in the same way that New York has Time Out magazine and Tokyo has/had Metropolis?
Take Uber from Taouyan Airport to Taipei 101
Take photos of Taipei 101
Eat Taiwanese breakfast at random street food place - it's nice. Burgers and stuff
Walk 15 minutes to the base of Elephant Mountain, then up it - Amazing view
Take MRT to Zongxaio Dunhua - Nice women walking around
Take MRT to Chiang Kai Shek Memorial Hall
If you have time, Take MRT to Daan Park
Take MRT to Ximen for food and walk through (cool when it's raining)

You'll see a lot. Nice city, but more of a place to live rather than travel
Quote: (03-06-2018 04:10 PM)Mr.GoodThread Wrote:  

Can anyone let me know whether Taiwan (specifically Taipei) has lockers in the same way that Tokyo would have lockers that you would pay 300 to 400 Yen and place your stuff in for the day?

Also, also do you know if Taiwan has a Weekly Magazine with a whole bunch of events listed in the same way that New York has Time Out magazine and Tokyo has/had Metropolis?

Here you go:

https://english.metro.taipei/cp.aspx?n=6...DE47BCDACE
Quote: (03-02-2018 04:30 PM)Aquarius Wrote:  

even though I vehemently disagree with current Taiwanese politics.

What's there to disagree with; both parties are status quo.

Quote: (03-02-2018 04:30 PM)Aquarius Wrote:  

For dinner, eat at Shida Night Market. Din Tai Fung is overrated as its Shanghainese food, which you should go to Shanghai for that. I'd stick to local Taiwanese dishes and Japanese food in Taiwan. While Shilin Night Market way up on the northern edge of Taipei is much more famous, its just way too crowded with people literally standing over your shoulder waiting for a spot when you eat and a tourist trap with mediocre food anyways. Shida Night Market is much better.

Shida Night Market has almost no food stalls left; it's for women's clothes shopping. Much as I dislike the crowds of Shilin, it has way more food options.

If OP really has to hit a night market, try Raohe Jie by just riding the Songshan MRT line to the end.

Din Tai Fung is a Taipei institution and Michelin star restaurant for a reason (only the Yongkang one, avoid the others). Someone else said Kao Chi is better? On what planet? They're just faster at getting you to a table, but I've never waited more than 15 minutes at DTF for a table of two.

Anyway, it's just something to cross off the tourist bucket list. The best Taiwanese food is generally in some dirty mom and pop place.
Quote: (03-07-2018 08:54 PM)Super_Fire Wrote:  

Well I did say that I'm Mainland Chinese; I don't agree with having an independent Republic of Taiwan, much less one run by boneheaded SJW cat ladies who legalize gay marriage and ban plastics.

And for food, I still think that for a first visit to Taipei, the OP should have one Japanese meal, and one Taiwanese night market meal. For that maybe OP should go to Raohe. I didn't know that Shida had no food left, but that area is probably a great daygame hotspot though.
Taiwan is also annoying by the garbage trucks, they play loud song while driving around the streets and you must have the trash organized or they will make you open it and organize it again. That's number one I hated about Taiwan.

Anyway, back to topic, I would take the train from the station, it's cheaper and probably faster too. If OP is arriving after 5am he could take the first train, I think they started going at 6. The bus is also ok option if there is too much waiting and it feels like upper class bus. No need to avoid public transport in Taipei, it's all cheap and efficient.
Quote: (03-06-2018 04:10 PM)Mr.GoodThread Wrote:  

This website has a list of events:
https://allevents.in/taipei/parties#

Ximending is an entertaining walking zone in the evening:
https://travelgasm.com/taipei-taiwan/6-x...aipei.html

Quote:Quote:

Ximending is one of the places that secondary school students, university students, and other hip, young people (and too many tourists) go to eat, drink, shop, enjoy music and movies, and people watch in Taipei,
Quote: (03-07-2018 09:16 PM)Aquarius Wrote:  

Well I did say that I'm Mainland Chinese; I don't agree with having an independent Republic of Taiwan

It's not a matter having, it's a matter of history. The ROC lost the civil war but fled in exile to Taiwan. Taiwan was handed over by Japan to the US, and the US wasn't about to give it to a communist government, hence why it gave Taiwan to the ROC government. The great irony is that the KMT became the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" party, but most people here don't want Taiwan to become a SAR.
not saying its a smart idea by any means but do you fellas know if its possible to find some decent green buds in the south?

be careful out there

-Kale in phils
Quote: (03-12-2018 01:24 AM)Super_Fire Wrote:  

Quote: (03-07-2018 09:16 PM)Aquarius Wrote:  

Well I did say that I'm Mainland Chinese; I don't agree with having an independent Republic of Taiwan

It's not a matter having, it's a matter of history. The ROC lost the civil war but fled in exile to Taiwan. Taiwan was handed over by Japan to the US, and the US wasn't about to give it to a communist government, hence why it gave Taiwan to the ROC government. The great irony is that the KMT became the "if you can't beat 'em, join 'em" party, but most people here don't want Taiwan to become a SAR.
The KMT was given Taiwan before they were kicked off the mainland. Taiwanese nationalists point to some technicalities in the Treaty of San Francisco, but the fact that Japan lost all its post-1895 possessions means they reverted to Chinese sovereignty. I have no idea how its possible to think that they became independent.

I oppose the recent trends in Taiwanese politics and the way they've trashed the patriotic legacy of the KMT, but on the whole I think Taiwanese are pleasant and friendly, if somewhat boring and superficial people. I imagine them to be sort of similar to the Japanese due to the 50-year occupation.

Many mainland Chinese are smart and engaging people. Unfortunately, the typical mainlander is either a calculating opportunist with a warped moral compass or an uncultured swindler, and I say this as someone with solidly northern, Mandarin-speaking Chinese relatives and no personal connections to Taiwan at all. There's a very good reason why no territory populated by Chinese outside the PRC wants to join it.