rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Have you ever seen a fight break out at the gym?

In all my time of hitting the gym, I'm 32, I've never seen a fight break out, and I'm curious as of why. With all the posturing that goes on, juice users(erratic personalities?), and all the in-shape alpha men/woman here in the West.... I'm fucking shocked that more men/woman don't call someone out more for eye-fucking/hitting on their friend, love interest, wife/husband and go bizzerk on a muthafucka.

You need to find a new gym. One that serves booze, for that. Gains, not drama.

Quote: (03-17-2016 10:58 PM)AlphaGrowthHormone Wrote:  

In all my time of hitting the gym, I'm 32, I've never seen a fight break out, and I'm curious as of why. With all the posturing that goes on, juice users(erratic personalities?), and all the in-shape alpha men/woman here in the West.... I'm fucking shocked that more men/woman don't call someone out more for eye-fucking/hitting on their friend, love interest, wife/husband and go bizzerk on a muthafucka.

I don't know about you, but when i'm at the gym lifting the last thing I want to do is get into a brawl with another man while in an exhausted state.

It would be a fucking disaster, especially on leg day. You wouldn't have any mobility and would get wrecked.

I will be checking my PMs weekly, so you can catch me there. I will not be posting.

Never seen anything close. At my gym atleast everyone is respectful and I talk to most of them, especially the guys who have some size are great guys, I rarely have seen the guys who act like dicks and think they are tough. One or two giving off that vibe of trying to be tough but it's rare.

I wouldn't want to fight at the gym either, i'm there every single week 3 or 4 days a week and wouldn't want to fuck that up.

Have a look at this article, imagine going to this fucking gym!

Quote:Quote:

Roseville police said that the fight was the most recent in a series of disturbances at the LA Fitness in Roseville. Officers responded to 147 incidents there in 2013; so far this year, there have been 24 incidents.

[Image: huh.gif]

http://www.ibtimes.com/la-fitness-brawl-...red-videos

I don't think fights happen all that often anywhere to begin with. Most revolve around driving or drinking.

I once almost got into a fight at the gym.

It was a saturday, there was literally two of us in the gym and I was taking my time between sets, maybe playing on my phone a little too much.

The only other guy in the gym gets in my face saying that I'm hogging the equipment, which in this case was the bench press and then made some comment about me using my phone.

I was lifting heavy that day and I had that testy kind of pump going in between sets (despite my lethargy) and this guy pissed me off big time. I do have a bad temper and when someone really hits my outrage button I become unjustifiably mad.

I called him a cunt and told him to fuck off. We were both ready to punch on over nothing.

I collected my cool quick smart and basically told him how he just approached me and antagonized me was really unfair. There were far more polite ways to approach this then the way he did.

I then apologized for my outburst saying it definitely wasn't the way I wanted to react. Also true.

Left it at that.

^^ haha that sounds like a canadian fight [Image: icon_lol.gif]

I saw 2 guys get into it at my gym once but they took it outside. I wasn't sure if they knew each other beforehand or what. I wasn't about to drop my set and go outside to check since its a 2 story gym. It was interesting and everyone was whispering to each other but thats about it. Its been 2 years since that happened and nothing since, been going to the gym for years.

Last month some newby got caught under the bench press and he screamed out like a little girl. Even heard it through my earbuds. The whole gym stopped to see what the hell was happening. A big jacked dude helped him rack up the weight but he left right after that.

Most dudes are really respectful at the gym from what I've noticed. You'd think there would be more ego trippin in the gym.

Quote: (03-18-2016 01:26 AM)CodyB Wrote:  

I once almost got into a fight at the gym.

It was a saturday, there was literally two of us in the gym and I was taking my time between sets, maybe playing on my phone a little too much.

The only other guy in the gym gets in my face saying that I'm hogging the equipment, which in this case was the bench press and then made some comment about me using my phone.

I was lifting heavy that day and I had that testy kind of pump going in between sets (despite my lethargy) and this guy pissed me off big time. I do have a bad temper and when someone really hits my outrage button I become unjustifiably mad.

I called him a cunt and told him to fuck off. We were both ready to punch on over nothing.

I collected my cool quick smart and basically told him how he just approached me and antagonized me was really unfair. There were far more polite ways to approach this then the way he did.

I then apologized for my outburst saying it definitely wasn't the way I wanted to react. Also true.

Left it at that.

I thought better of you CodyB... I never thought of you as that guy in the gym sitting on the equipment and strolling through Instagram.
[Image: thumbsup6.png]

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

This is back in the day when I was a workout every fucking muscle group in a session kind of guy.

I'm in the gym max 30 minutes these days and I superset like a motherfucker

I've actually seen one fight almost break out at my posh gym. Normally the people who attend it are milfs and old rich guys who don't really do much but there is a small collection of young guys and 30 somethings who seriously lift.

This one guy had a set of 26kg and 28kg dumbbell weights. I've been trying my best to get out of the 20-30kg weight range because everyone seems to always use these.

The guy with the doubles dumbbells was doing some super sets with a punching bag. Another guy came up while he was punching the bag and took the 26kg weights.

The guy using the punching bag stopped what he was doing and walked up to the guy all puffed up and got in his face. The other guy was moving back while the punching bag dude was yelling at him.

The guy who took started telling him he can't hog all of the weights and ended up giving them back.

I sat there dumb founded.

As another poster pointed out, fights rarely happen when there's not booze involved.

I mean, thinking back on high school, with men whose minds haven't fully matured, fights in the gym were not any more uncommon than anywhere else. Fights would break out in wrestling practice, football practice, in games, weight room, wherever.

Adult men don't fight much if they're not on anything, and on the street, there's more of a chance you'll run into someone on something even if you're not. The gym is a decidedly sober environment.

For the most part, a rational male adult in this day and age does not want:

a) To be hurt.
b) To hurt another man.

Another thing that blows my mind how many big guys I've met who look really intimidating, or even so-so sized guys who are always talking and acting big ("I'd punch that motherfucker in the mouth if he said that to me" blah blah blah), and then you get talking to them as a friend and find out they've never actually been in a real fight. Or have been in very few. Or not since a kid.

These are those guys that act all hard but crumble when you call them out, and there are a lot of them these days if you're both sober and they're not backed up by a group.

It's not that the potential for violence isn't always around you, but it's generally a pretty slim portion of the population doing the walking.

Final point - men who do fight sober in public places are probably not very self-disciplined men, and therefore don't go to the gym on a regular basis. There are certainly plenty of exceptions to this rule but it bears thinking about.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

I've seen more fights break out in offices I've worked at than gyms.

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

Quote: (03-18-2016 05:35 AM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

The gym is a decidedly sober environment.

Not always.[Image: angel.gif]

Then I used to work though the winter in Canada. It would be dark all the time and -30. I would pour a OJ & Vodka in my shaker, head down to the gym, Press/Pull/squat then jump into a tanning bed.

Good times.

A few years back at one rundown gym I use to train in, there was one guy who was known for having a bit of a temper. He was huge, probably on steroids and would hog 2 to 3 machines at a time doing lengthy super sets. He was a regular and 'friendly' to all the staff so they'd let him be for the most part.

One time, he was in the middle of a set between machines, 1 other skinny guy must have picked up some dumbbells he thought wasn't being used. Huge guy finishes his set, turns around and sees the skinny guy using the weights. Huge guy flips out, starts shouting and screaming, gets right in his face and snatches the weights off him. One of the staff quickly intervenes and calms the huge guy down. The skinny guy actually stood his ground quite well.

That's the closest I've seen to fight. For the most part, guys are considerate and respectful.

^ Damn't, I was hoping you were going to tell a story about the skinny guy knocking him out...

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Fists start flying at the 1:45 mark:

^ Of course it was a ratpacking. No shame these guys...

Not to keyboard jockey, but he probably should have seen that coming the first time they got on either side of him.

Then again, I think he did say something like "I'll fight both you bitches."

EDIT: Now you've got me watching fight videos. Damn't....better go to the gym instead.

Beyond All Seas

Most guys who have lifted for a while know how to behave. I don't mind sharing or being polite. I hate two groups of people, well three. Hate might be a strong word.

1) women generally do not know how to behave in the weight area. They will take shit and then not put it back. They will take two bars from the benches because they want to create some circuit workout routine. They always act like their workout is more important that yours and try to negotiate with you. I have experienced this a couple of times and seen it several times.

2) the idiot that walks up to you during a set and starts asking you when you are going to be done or can he use something. (I might be alternating exercises). He can't fucking wait until I am done? I wait politely until the guy finishes to ask how many more sets you got.

3) the noise maker/attention whore. I get if you are benching 500 lbs you might need to make a little noise. But not 135 you bitch.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Quote: (03-18-2016 08:11 AM)scotian Wrote:  

Holy shit, thats my gym. The dude who got jumped is a regular. He always goes to the gym with his girlfriend, some stripper lookin broad in booty shorts. He likes to throw weights around and seems like an asshole but never bothers anyone.

Haven't seen his girl in a few weeks so they probably got kicked out of the gym.

To answer OP's curiosity as to why their is pretty much no fighting at gyms: what reason is there to fight people at the gym?

Aside from people who happen to know eachother and already have beef, the only real reason to get pissed at someone at the gym is if they have bad etiquette and are unjustly using up all the shit - even then 9/10 dudes would just bring it up civilly and it gets resolved. "Hey bro you mind if I get in there?" "Hey man can I steal those dumbells for a minute?" Whatever.

The gym is generally a place of discipline and self improvement. No one's trying to get at eachother in there. Most all dudes in the gym are supportive of eachother anyway.

Quote: (03-18-2016 01:37 PM)xxMarco Wrote:  

Quote: (03-18-2016 08:11 AM)scotian Wrote:  

He likes to throw weights around and seems like an asshole

Then I guess I don't feel bad for him. It sounded like he did something dickish like he pulled the bench or something.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Quote: (03-18-2016 01:49 PM)General Stalin Wrote:  

To answer OP's curiosity as to why their is pretty much no fighting at gyms: what reason is there to fight people at the gym?

Aside from people who happen to know eachother and already have beef, the only real reason to get pissed at someone at the gym is if they have bad etiquette and are unjustly using up all the shit - even then 9/10 dudes would just bring it up civilly and it gets resolved. "Hey bro you mind if I get in there?" "Hey man can I steal those dumbells for a minute?" Whatever.

The gym is generally a place of discipline and self improvement. No one's trying to get at eachother in there. Most all dudes in the gym are supportive of eachother anyway.

I watch dudes (don't go there) when they lift if they are doing something I have not seen. I ask politely what they are up and what does that work and never has a guy not been helpful. You gotta have a screw loose to wanna fight at a gym - fuck just the BS of signing up for a new gym would deter me.

I am not saying I am a saint, but if I am doing some heavy weight and I know I will probably drop after using the weights, I warn my neighbors. If you show respect, you usually get it back.

No, but I've seen a lot of passive aggressive glares throw at mainly girls and overly buff guys who leave their weighs scattered on the floor.

I've never seen a fight break out, but I do know of one. Some bodybuilder tried to sell a new guy steroids, a powerlifter took offense at it, and they started beating each other up.

If you're not fucking her, someone else is.

No. These are places I've seen fights.
Jersey Shore nightclubs (most nights there is at least one)
Coco Cabana in Langley Park (multiple fights every night. One of the very few places in the D.C. area where people actually have balls)
High school (only saw three fights in four years, two of which ended with the ambulance taking one of the guys away. Surprising few considering the demographics)
Iguana Cantina (multiple fights every night. I think that was at least one the reasons why it got shut down)
once on the street in Baltimore

I honestly thing that's it.