rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

New York City: Losing My Religion

I started running nightgame in NYC circa 1994 (as soon as I could get my hands on a fake ID) when you couldn’t walk through Times Square without being propositioned for a hooker, drugs or weapons. NYC had an edge…it was tough, gritty and had character. Now it is Disneyland and everyone wants to be here.

In the spirit of positivity, let’s start with the advantages of New York City.

Survival of the fitness: Old Blue Eyes was right-if you can make it here you can make it anywhere. Living and working in NYC will instill a killer attitude and survival skills that will result in making you the best professional and gamer you can be. The environment will force you to develop an edge and killer instinct, a certain psychological advantage. Anywhere you go after, career, women, and life will seem easier and slower, like a veteran NFL quarterback going back to play amongst the college ranks.

Diversity of women: Nowhere except maybe London have I seen such variety. You can literally date girls from every country in the world. The last 2 years or so, I have had mini-relationships with women from Russia, China, Malaysia, Taiwan, Moldova, and Latinas.

With the right logistics, this can be a player’s dream: women are DTF. Nightgame, Daygame and Online Game all offer fruitful opportunities. You can hit the nightlife or daygame 365 days a year. The possibilities are endless, even for the novice player who wants to hone his skills.

Career and earning potential: Costs are high, but the financial upside in New York is tremendous. There are few places in the world where your time will be compensated to such a degree.

The Best: NYC is the center of the world. I find it funny when I see posts from guys who can’t find anything to do. New York has the best of everything: cafes, museums, concerts, ballet, opera, sporting events…the list goes on. It you have a particular interest; you will struggle not to find it here and in quality.

Sounds like a great place? It is for certain purposes, but there is another side to the coin.

Having spent most of my life in NYC and the surrounding area, I have a few alternate observations:

I caution anyone considering a long-term stay in NYC: you may lose your soul. For better or worst, it is the nucleus of “instant gratification culture.” Our neural pathways are intricate and complex, but they can be altered based on patters of thought shaped by environmental stimuli over time. Having the world and its contents at your fingertips 24 hours a day changes your neural pathways. Human virtues of patience, temperance, and self-reflection are slowly extinguished.

As already considered, NYC offers the best of all, including successful, ambitious, and beautiful people. Competition among men is fierce. If you have the full package of looks, wealth, status and Game, you have unlimited opportunities and will have a pussy paradise. However, most will pound the pavement, having some success, but will always be compared to these other men by quality women. Failure to keep a girl you like excited and entertained results in their attention diverting to the Big Apple universe and plentiful, viable options.

It is easy to loose one’s soul in the Big Apple. I have met countless lost souls, lonely people, ironically, disconnected in a city with so much. Maintaining balance and a spiritual awareness is an arduous task, for men and women. For our purpose here, women loose their souls, caught up in a clyadascope of opportunity, socialization, stimuli and sex. Finding a woman with a low notch count who has made NYC her home is like finding your unicorn (we like to believe she is out there, but she isn’t). Their spirit and feminine divine is lost.

NYC is a hook-up and sex culture, not a relationship culture. Relationships are often develop when couples spend time at home. New Yorkers will in cramped apartments in a city with unlimited things to do. Nobody wants to stay at home, so even new couples have their attention diverted towards the "city".

Most players tire of this hook up culture as I have and eventually want something more meaningful. Good luck. NYC women have enormous notch counts, and rarely think of anything serious prior to panic mode between the ages of 35-37.

The sweet spot is foreign women who have been in town no longer than 6 months. They are eager, excited and open to new experiences. Seize the opportunity; these are the best women that NYC has to offer. They usually live with roommates in Queens or BK. Once they make there way to Manhattan, it is over. The clock is ticking on them becoming wannabe sex and the city sluts, moving further and further away from their indigenous values.

So by all means if you are ambitious and aggressive, come to New York to make money and enjoy the bountiful women and experiences. However, don’t loose sight of what provides you with a sense of meaning and purpose in life. If you are looking for meaningful relationship, you will be disappointed with the sea of soulless, attention deficit, hypergamous women. Fuck them yes, connect with them no.

Good post.

I'd only edit the spelling of:
"Losing"
"Loser"

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-40325.html

If only you knew how bad things really are.

Quote: (07-24-2015 06:12 AM)RexImperator Wrote:  

Good post.

"Losing"
"Loser"

And "clyadascope," eh heh.

#NoSingleMoms
#NoHymenNoDiamond
#DontWantDaughters

Quote: (07-24-2015 06:12 AM)RexImperator Wrote:  

Good post.

"Losing"
"Loser"

I noticed this after the post was closed. I will edit it if the moderator can open it.

Solid post Dantes.

The things that truly give meaning to life are difficult to come by in New York City. There's too much going on around us for most people to stop and ponder what the hell we're doing flying through space on this fortuitously habitable rock. Entertainment is brought directly to your door - be it smartphones, streets packed with bars and restaurants and fun art events etc, constant male attention, delivery everything...long term thinking is not a priority. New York City is the 'abundance mentality' taken to its absurdist extreme. Roosh brought this up a few times this past weekend, and the thought has been percolating for me as well since then.

In regards to the women here, it's a combination of the instant gratification and over-stimulating culture of NYC itself as well as the type of women who have dreams of moving here at a relatively young age from Anytown, USA, which is too 'boring' for them. The exceptions of course are foreign women who come here, along with their families, for the infinite opportunities compared to their homeland; of course within a few months the city has taken its toll. I hope none of the men here have any delusions about finding an LTR, let alone a wife, in this city. Nevertheless, there is always a chance that you'll find a beautiful and stable foreign woman, an opportunity you're not going to have many other places in the USA.

These consumerist ideals are then exported around the world through various forms of media. This works in our favor if we're looking for bangs; when a girl in Jakarta or Buenos Aires or Kiev asks you where you're from, there's no better answer than New York. The flip side is that slowly but surely women around the world are being homogenized and are always directed away from a family oriented life.

That said, it's a great city for when you're young enough to have the energy to enjoy all the benefits of living in NYC. Stay too long and the stress, noise, rat race, and lack of meaningful personal connections will take years off your life. The problem is that it's so damn expensive that most young people can't afford to live here despite the abundant career opportunities.

For me, New York City is the only place I'd want to live in this country, for personal reasons as well as those above. I'm not getting married until at least a decade down the line, and there's such an infinitesimal chance that my future wife will be American anyway, so might as well enjoy life here and make money while keeping sight of my future goals.

A man who procrastinates in his choosing will inevitably have his choice made for him by circumstance.

A true friend is the most precious of all possessions and the one we take the least thought about acquiring.

This thread makes me want to move to NYC

Excellent post by Dantes and a great response by Getdownonit. Both are good men that I’ve had the chance to hang out with on the regular here in NYC.

I’ve been here in NYC for 6 years, and have no illusions of finding my future wife here. There are too many things to do, too many options on both sides, and so many distractions and roadblocks to making something real happen. Every year I spend a little more time out of the US, and get to see what foreign women are like. I love NYC, but prefer what I’ve seen out there. As others have said, NYC is probably the best city in America if you want a variety of women and enjoy city life. It does chip away at your soul though, to go through the same motions with the speed of life and the women here. Different faces yet many of the same conversations and bangs.

One thing I’ve found solace in is building a life that doesn’t just focus on getting pussy. Exploring interests such as biking/cooking/art/travel/reading has made this city considerably more enjoyable. I don’t really game as much as in previous years, unless I feel the hunger.

In fact, I’ve spent more of my energy in the last year trying to build the NYC community here through the forum by throwing meet-ups, hosting folks at my pad or at bars for drinks / pre-gaming, and sometimes even cooking dinner for those lucky enough to try my eats. I recently hosted a men’s only dinner at my crib for about 5 forum members, and think that doing stuff like that is a great way to slow the city down, chill out, and get to actually know each-other as men.

I didn’t intend for the meet-ups to be just about game and wingmen, but to rather to connect you like-minded men and build a community. Developing those personal connections outside of game can make this tough city more live-able. Roosh did mention in his speech that developing those friendships and relationships are an important part of a fulfilling life, especially for an aging player.

I encourage those out here in NYC to make the city a little smaller by building some good friendships and throwing their own little "tribal" gatherings.

No man is an island...

- Clint Barton

On one hand living in a big city like New York would lead to abundant opportunities, especially for a single dude in their 20s, but I can't seem to get past the small fish in a big pond effect. If you're just an average guy making average money there are far to many successful, rich, beautiful people who you are in direct competition with to not take a toll on your game.

If you're making average money you're better off somewhere else. I really don't think there are all that many opportunities for the "average guy" in this city...unless that "average guy" lacks a college degree of course. Then I suppose you could eventually make $15/hour working at certain establishments, but I digress.

For dudes who are living in Manhattan,

Just curious - what do you guys do for work? It is pretty damn hard to have your own place in anywhere reasonably desirable (looking at like mid 2000's and up at least for your own studio in a nice building/area)

New Post:
Men’s Style Guide: For Guys Who Want to Get Laid

You aren't getting laid because you still believe in "game".

Here's how I went from being a 21-year-old, videogame-addicted, Asian virgin to banging too many girls to count (no PUA bs):

https://whiteknightrises.com/start-here

BTC: 1A5WUGDNGnsxGJ62CXadV6T2oapKfFu4T3
ETH: 0x9019d135dD1FFA06f0CC53C5942cBce806a943dd

(If I miss your reply PM me)

I'm planning on spending a month or two in NYC to get a feel since I've never been there. For me the biggest draw would be that I would be able to build savings more quickly there than in Tier 2 cities in the US or in Europe. And then 5-10 years from now have money for an apartment, house, or just investment income and earlier retirement.

But my target girl is pretty much always 18-24, is into relationships or at the very least one guy at a time, not a different cock every Thursday night, and as I've been traveling Europe for the last 6 months I've also come to realize that German and Scandinavian women are actually the most beautiful to me by far. Simple statistics tell me that my odds of finding these type of women are far better in Minneapolis than in Brooklyn.

This is really just the ultimate dilemma a lot of posters here face everyday. Money or girls. The best places for one seem to often be the worst for the other.

Just wondering how you guys think those two factors come into play in NYC in particular, especially when you're not looking for tons of notches with club rats but rather more innocent, non-jaded women. Is there anyone there who feels like they're sacking away fat stacks but that it's eating away their soul? Or that they they're disappointed by the caliber of the women? Basically trying to decide if it's worth it for the money. If I gave zero shits about building savings and wealth I think I'd probably stay in Stockholm cause the women are so close to my ideal and the quality of life is pretty great (though it's winter now, maybe I'd sing a different tune come December).

Quote: (07-25-2015 04:33 PM)drasticallyspeaking Wrote:  

I'm planning on spending a month or two in NYC to get a feel since I've never been there. For me the biggest draw would be that I would be able to build savings more quickly there than in Tier 2 cities in the US or in Europe. And then 5-10 years from now have money for an apartment, house, or just investment income and earlier retirement.

But my target girl is pretty much always 18-24, is into relationships or at the very least one guy at a time, not a different cock every Thursday night, and as I've been traveling Europe for the last 6 months I've also come to realize that German and Scandinavian women are actually the most beautiful to me by far. Simple statistics tell me that my odds of finding these type of women are far better in Minneapolis than in Brooklyn.

This is really just the ultimate dilemma a lot of posters here face everyday. Money or girls. The best places for one seem to often be the worst for the other.

Just wondering how you guys think those two factors come into play in NYC in particular, especially when you're not looking for tons of notches with club rats but rather more innocent, non-jaded women. Is there anyone there who feels like they're sacking away fat stacks but that it's eating away their soul? Or that they they're disappointed by the caliber of the women? Basically trying to decide if it's worth it for the money. If I gave zero shits about building savings and wealth I think I'd probably stay in Stockholm cause the women are so close to my ideal and the quality of life is pretty great (though it's winter now, maybe I'd sing a different tune come December).

Can you elaborate on how you are piling fat stacks of cash / amassing tons of savings when NYC has one of the highest living costs in the world?

Thanks!

New Post:

Here's how I went from being a 21-year-old, videogame-addicted, Asian virgin to banging too many girls to count (no PUA bs):

Quote: (07-24-2015 05:31 AM)Dantes Wrote:  

Most players tire of this hook up culture as I have and eventually want something more meaningful. Good luck. NYC women have enormous notch counts, and rarely think of anything serious prior to panic mode between the ages of 35-37.

I think in a place like New York, whenever you have a city that
is so active, with so many people, problems can get magnified quickly.

With so many women, finding the ones who do want to settle down
at a reasonable age(25-27) is difficult.

If you do what most guys do, then you'll get lost in a sea of hookups.

In that kind of environment, you almost have to be preemptive and be
much more selective of women. You also have to be willing to move a lot faster
if you want a woman who's ready to settle down before she turns 30.

It's a double edged sword of opportunity and chaos at the same time.

I am going to draw flack. The NYC city makes you a better gamer everywhere else will seem easier?

When I game there it is easy compared to SoCal, or So FLA.

Try gaming in Denver and nailing solid 7s consistently tell me how hard it is compared to NYC. [Image: lol.gif]

SENS Foundation - help stop age-related diseases

Quote: (05-19-2016 12:01 PM)Giovonny Wrote:  
If I talk to 100 19 year old girls, at least one of them is getting fucked!
Quote:WestIndianArchie Wrote:
Am I reacting to her? No pussy, all problems
Or
Is she reacting to me? All pussy, no problems

Haha Travesty beat me to the punch. I was gonna say the same thing. Overall, great post and I too have a boner for NY. But specifically for gaming, I disagree that it'll make you tougher. If you can pimp it in sausagefest areas, then going to NY will be easier, not the other way around.

Anyways I envy you guys living in NY. I have to walk around for a few hours before seeing a hottie to day game approach where in Soho/Times square/union square you just need to hang for a few min.

Quote: (07-24-2015 10:09 PM)whiteknightrises Wrote:  

Just curious - what do you guys do for work? It is pretty damn hard to have your own place in anywhere reasonably desirable (looking at like mid 2000's and up at least for your own studio in a nice building/area)

The housing cost in NYC is high, but isn't much higher than Boston or DC for a good apartment.

The benefit is that the salaries are generally much higher for almost every position because employers know it's NYC and you'll have to be compensated a bit more to offset the higher expenses. Salaries in Boston aren't what they are in NYC and lots of younger types like myself are stuck spending a higher percentage of our salary on rent.

I have been looking to find something in DC in my field with comparable pay and it's just not possible really. As much as everyone hates on DC I enjoy the city and find myself substantially less burnt out when I'm sent there for work. The women leave a little bit to be desired, but I have built up a small harem of Latinas that make the city quite enjoyable.

NYC is easy to rack up notches but there is zero substance to much of it. As much as I like getting laid, sometimes I want something besides getting 2 drinks and bouncing to fuck. Now, it is easy to get substance with less attractive girls, but that's not something I'm interested in obviously.

As far as cities with long term quality girls and some money put together in North America this list seems like it (e.g. a nice place to call Home):

Montreal
Chicago
Minneapolis
Atlanta
Austin, Dallas, Houston

Or

Quote: (07-25-2015 05:43 PM)elcidcampeador Wrote:  

Now, it is easy to get substance with less attractive girls, but that's not something I'm interested in obviously.

I believe the Devil made a some sort of dark pact with God to make this happen so he could watch down in absolute glee at us!

Or

Quote: (07-24-2015 10:09 PM)whiteknightrises Wrote:  

The housing cost in NYC is high, but isn't much higher than Boston or DC for a good apartment.

The benefit is that the salaries are generally much higher for almost every position because employers know it's NYC and you'll have to be compensated a bit more to offset the higher expenses. Salaries in Boston aren't what they are in NYC and lots of younger types like myself are stuck spending a higher percentage of our salary on rent.

I have been looking to find something in DC in my field with comparable pay and it's just not possible really. As much as everyone hates on DC I enjoy the city and find myself substantially less burnt out when I'm sent there for work. The women leave a little bit to be desired, but I have built up a small harem of Latinas that make the city quite enjoyable.

NYC is easy to rack up notches but there is zero substance to much of it. As much as I like getting laid, sometimes I want something besides getting 2 drinks and bouncing to fuck. Now, it is easy to get substance with less attractive girls, but that's not something I'm interested in obviously.

Gotcha

Just curious, what do some of the people on here living in New York do for work?

New Post:

Quote: (07-25-2015 05:50 PM)Travesty Wrote:  

Now, it is easy to get substance with less attractive girls, but that's not something I'm interested in obviously.

I believe the Devil made a some sort of dark pact with God to make this happen so he could watch down in absolute glee at us!

This is the most frustrating thing in the world. They always seem to fall in love on the first date too.

Quote: (07-25-2015 05:51 PM)whiteknightrises Wrote:  

Gotcha

Just curious, what do some of the people on here living in New York do for work?

I used to work in Finance, got burned out and quit. Now working in Venture Capital and getting burned out pretty quickly. It's a good job with significant international travel involved but I literally have no time to meet people except when I'm in China or Mexico or wherever I'm sent for work.

I want to start one of those online website marketing things that everyone's talking about on the forum but I have no idea where to start (notice how I call it a marketing thing). Seems like a bit of a pipe dream to make $10-20k/month doing that with no real skill in the field.

Quote: (07-25-2015 04:51 PM)whiteknightrises Wrote:  

Quote: (07-25-2015 04:33 PM)drasticallyspeaking Wrote:  

Can you elaborate on how you are piling fat stacks of cash / amassing tons of savings when NYC has one of the highest living costs in the world?

Thanks!

I'm not doing so now - it is a hypothetical based on salary ranges for my field which are at around 100-120k / yr in NYC and assuming I would live in one of the outer boroughs with roommates.

Whether you believe me or not (and whether its true for your particular field or not), by my calculation I can still save more in a year in NYC (and a few other cities in the US) than in a city of 500,000, even after accounting for higher cost of living.

Quote: (07-25-2015 06:19 PM)drasticallyspeaking Wrote:  

I'm not doing so now - it is a hypothetical based on salary ranges for my field which are at around 100-120k / yr in NYC and assuming I would live in one of the outer boroughs with roommates.

Whether you believe me or not (and whether its true for your particular field or not), by my calculation I can still save more in a year in NYC (and a few other cities in the US) than in a city of 500,000, even after accounting for higher cost of living.

+1. It's really a bit of an issue nationwide I think, that young people aren't making enough across the board to really buy property so rent is consistently high proportionate to salary.

I know that in DC a decent to good studio is $2000+ a month, and a bad one won't be any less than $1500. Many young people I run into on the Hill in DC are making 32K a year as a staffer, and the non-profit types are making less. In NYC everyone is making 60k+ if they aren't working at fast-food restaurants, so the $3k on that studio isn't as bad as 2k on 32k a year.

Even further, I would imagine that in cities that generally have less opportunity for high-paying jobs, such as St. Louis and Oklahoma City, will still charge around $1000 for a decently nice studio. If one is making the standard 40-50k in these parts the ratio that much better.

Let's say one is making 80k a year in NYC and paying 2.5k/month for a studio. That's a pretty low salary for NYC so it'd be a young kid working in consulting or maybe even entry finance. 30k of the salary is going to rent, or 38 percent. I think bonuses and taxes will generally offset when considering all fields, although sometimes the bonuses will be significant.

Then that same consultant is making 50k in Oklahoma City and is paying $1k/month for rent (probably a nicer place, but worse women so I'm sticking with it). That's 24% on rent, which is a bit better. I'd still imagine that there are less 50k jobs in OKC than 40k jobs, which is 30% on rent. Oh, and then you'd need a car most likely in OKC.

NYC food and drink is no more expensive, for me at least, than DC/Boston. I have no experience with West Coast stuff.

As with every place, you can find roommates to make the cost a bit more bearable.

Quote: (07-25-2015 06:19 PM)drasticallyspeaking Wrote:  

Got it. So you don't actually live here yet...

Also, you don't really want to live in Brooklyn or Queens. As someone else said here, if you live in the outer boroughs, New Jersey, or even Harlem, you might as well live in another world

Edit: guess you could be right about saving more in NYC if you factor in the fact you'd take a pay cut in other places

Also, want to note that most landlords in the city require you to make 40x the rent

Say you're entry level finance making 80k, that qualifies you for a $2,000 apartment, which is likely gonna be a walk-up, 400 sf, and not in Tribeca, SoHo, or wherever it is you want to live

New Post:

Myself, I make easily twice as much in NYC as I would in a regular city. So if my living expenses are twice as much, that's fine, and if I really want to cut expenses to mid-sized-city levels I could move to Queens, Westchester, or NJ and just have a longer (35min-45min) commute on the train.

What you give up in NYC is quality of life. For me that's a car, driving to work, grilling on my deck, doing yard work, working on my house, going on road trips easily and of course, space, quiet and privacy.

$1500/month for a large studio in Forest Hills, Queens or a large 4 bedroom home with a garage/yard/deck in the best of neighborhoods of any mid-size city? Depends on where you are in life and what your goals are.

The women in NYC are certainly the most animus-possesed amazons you'll ever come across. Totally self-centered, self-indulgent, and well, you all know. But are they really any better in Minneapolis, Denver or wherever? I grew up in a small-city, and frequent mid-size cities often. The women there, at their core, are really no better than NYC women. You're more likely to find one that can cook a little, but she'll still have that feminist attitude and all the rest. Maybe they are a hair-better, but we're not talking big hairs.

But as Dantes pointed out, you're more likely to find a nice FOB woman here in NYC than most anywhere else and that is a very big difference.

Dante's thread title really sums up how I feel about NYC and relationships with American women in general. I first moved to NYC over 10 years ago and I was very excited back then and had lots of energy to date many women, and it was a lot of fun, but was ultimately unfulfilling. Had a couple LTR's with some FOB latina's during that time also which was more fulfilling. I left NYC a few years ago and recently moved back to Manhattan about 6 months ago after being in Asia. I haven't gone on one date since being back.

Some might say, get your T levels checked, but it's not that. It's that I just don't believe in it anymore. Not here anyways.

You can certainly have a good quality of life in New York, but you'd be sacrificing optimal logistics. And of course, "quality of life" is very subjective. I agree with your post and its sentiments, though.