rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

South of Spain

South of Spain

Someone asked about beach towns in the south of Spain during summer. I live in Seville. Which is not a beach town. I think you first have to understand the mentality of people and girls here first. The south tends to be somewhat conservative, traditional, and closed-minded. People always say...but in the south people are always partying and so much fun. Yes and no. I've lived here for many years. Try breaking into social circles where people grow up in the same hoods, go to the same schools, then live at home until they are married and socialize with the same friends, then get a job in the SAME city and live down the block from their parents and still socialize with the same friends. I have many Spanish friends here that have never travelled more than 1-2 hrs. away from Seville and are happy as can be. Their level of English is kindergarten, if that. So I think it's very easy to find people to have a drink and a laugh, but actually making solid contacts takes a ton of work.

The girls are some of the best looking I have seen anywhere. And I have travelled a lot! I would stack Seville up against ANY city anywhere for the sheer numbers of incredible dark skinned, dark hair, slim girls. They are just everywhere. I have friends that boast of the girls in another city they saw at bla bla club at 1am. Yeah...at the best club on a Friday night you saw top shelf girls. I can go to get bread at 10:00 on a Tuesday and see tons of hot girls just walking around. It's silly...really. Problem is...many of these girls will only date Spanish guys. Your family and friends are so important here. People care about appearances...and to have their friends see them walking around with some foreign guy, it might look strange. This is not for all the girls and thankfully things have changed somewhat. But in reality this is a very closed society. I've met plenty of foreign guys who come here for a weekend or whatever, expecting streets of gold and find that they can't even get a girl to talk with them for 1 minute.

That being said, it's important to go places where you are going to get more of an international crowd! The Malaga area is certainly tons more international. You have beach towns all up and down the Costa del Sol...Benalmadena, Fuengirola, Marbella, Puerto Banus....check out some of these places.

My FAVORITE beach areas, however, are on the Cadiz side. No need to check out Cadiz town. This is more family oriented. Head south of Cadiz in a car and just stop at some of the towns and see what flicks your bic. The best towns for hooking up and having fun with a good crowd are without a doubt: LA PALMERA BEACH, CANOS DE MECA BEACH, AND TARIFA. Tarifa is the windsurfing capital of the world and sits right on the tip across from Morocco. Huge atmosphere in the summertime, with girls that come from all over Spain and Europe. You can go out every day of the week, but especially on weekends it will be packed. Tons of girls everywhere. Get out of the city to go to the best beaches and chiringuitos (beach bars).

I was at one last summer called Tumbao (which means lying down...as they have cushions on the ground). Just take a seat and look at the girls. That beach is also very good. I believe this beach is called Valdevaqueros. You also have Chiringuito Agua as well as several more. Ask people for ideas on the best ones to go to. Things change. There is a sick hotel in the area if you have the cashola called Dos Mares. Have to book well in advance. There is a club near Canos called Ohju. I have never been, but I think if you like House music, this could be good. I'm sure good girls must go to this club. The inauguration party is 18 June and the website is http://www.ohjuclub.com. If you stick to these 3 beaches, you will see all the sights you need to see, trust me.

There are probably 2 more beaches worth mentioning...for the beach action and going out somewhat...Chiclana de la Frontera and Conil de la Frontera. Might be worth a look, as would Zahara de los Atunes (but this is more quiet I think as it's a small town). Have fun!

South of Spain

I was in Spain years ago and really loved the country and its people. I would live there in a heartbeat.

But this actual economic crisis is scaring me to go there, I really don't know how things are going in the country,and how foreigners are being received in this time of crisis.

Never been to Sevilla , but I hope to visit someday.
Tks for the report.

Chicks need to be on rotation like a Netflix queue

South of Spain

Quote: (05-26-2011 07:56 AM)Mr.GM Wrote:  

But this actual economic crisis is scaring me to go there, I really don't know how things are going in the country,and how foreigners are being received in this time of crisis.

I go to Barcelona (currently at a 20% unemplyment rate) every summer and I stick out waaay more than you. You'll do fine. Spain is a civilized country that relies heavily on tourism. It's nothing like the sparkles of xenophobia you'll experience in EE.

South of Spain

I guess too much bullshit on TV and newspapers these days.Like Vicious said about Fox news reporting the Swedish Riots of Malmö.

Chicks need to be on rotation like a Netflix queue

South of Spain

Cant read the initial post due to lack of paragraphs (edit pls)

I would recommend Sevilla (beautiful place) and Granada tho

South of Spain

opening23 -

Yeah, that was me who asked you to post it.

What do you know about the Med coast between Valencia and Almeria?

And the north between San Sebastian and Gijon?

Break it down holmes.

I agree with your thoughts on Sevilla.

South of Spain

any cool, laid back, preferably inexpensive surfing spots one could set up at in summer for a few months?

South of Spain

Love Granada from a cultural standpoint, college girls are cuties buuuut people are a little bit racist, I have some middle eastern vibe so for them I am a Moro(moor), even though I'm Latino.

South of Spain

Malaga itself is not exactly international. The area around it definitely is. It is a medium sized Spanish city that usually goes unnoticed by foreigners and tourists. Most international flights to the Costal Del Sol land at Malaga airport and from there the tourists just head off to the nearby beach resorts. Marbella and Puerto Banus are the two well known, upmarket resort areas. But, with the economic crisis they seem to have lost some of their lustre.

opening23, have you been to the Nikki Beach in Marbella?

South of Spain

ManAbout -

Do you know about the stretches of coast I mentioned above?

Anyone?

I need some Sheets!

South of Spain

Quote: (05-26-2011 01:36 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

ManAbout -

Anyone?

I need some Sheets!

No, I don't know about the coast between Valencia to Almeria.

But, if you want play the high roller game, then on mainland Spain, Puerto Banus/Marbella is the only place. This is the area where Enrique Iglesias, Beckham, Arab sheiks, rich Spaniards from Madrid etc. hang out, lounge on their multimillion dollar yachts in the marina and cruise around in their Lamborghinis.

South of Spain

ManAbout-

Yeah, I want to play it more mellow style. Kind of the opposite of Marbella.

Anyone?

South of Spain

ManAbout -

Anyone?

I need some Sheets!

I have been to the Costa Blanca a few times which is the stretch of coast below Valencia. It was a little while ago but I will give some brief info on the places I went to:

Alicante - Pretty nice typical Spanish beach town. Lots of tourists from Holland and Enlgand in particular. There is a nice castle on the hill and the beaches are ok. Nightlife is pretty banging in the summer with loads of tourists and students taking Spanish classes from all over Europe. Can't really comment on the local chicks though as didn't seem to be too many around.

Benidorm - Probably the most ugly place in the world filled with the most ugly vile Brits you can imagine haha. Its full of shocking tall apartment buildings from the 70's and 60's with no planning whatsoever. Sad thing is I'm sure this place used to very beautiful before it was destroyed by mass tourism.

Altea - A real gem on the Costa Blanca. Its a beautiful little town with white washed houses and small little cobblestone streets. It has a long stretch of beach which is stones and not sand but it has really nice blue water and the surrounding hills and cliffs are spectacular. It wasn't crowded here at all either so this is a great place to come with a hottie for a few days - thats what I did [Image: biggrin.gif]

Calpe - Mostly families at this place so not a great place to go. The giant rock on the headlands is quite a sight though and the beaches are quite nice.

In summary the Costa Blanca is quite nice but probably not the best place to party and swoop girls in Spain. Still nice to hire a car and check out for a few days as there are also lots of hidden beaches and spots in between the places I mentioned above.

South of Spain

ManAbout -

Anyone?

I need some Sheets!

I never thought anyone would ask about Gijon.

I spent a little over a month there, it's a nice port city with lots of history and a heavy pub scene, as opposed to Barcelona's nightclub scene. You'll see lots of attractive girls, but also more of the hippy type than your used to seeing in the other major cities. They vary in looks, mostly the typical brunette look, some blondies, it isn't odd to spot a redhead once in a while.

Going there during the summer is smart, as there are a couple of dope events, one is a giant bonfire beach party called Hoguera de San Juan, I had a nice blackout there. The other event being La Semana Negra (black week), which is an outdoor festival that attracts lots of booze/food tents, artist exhibitions, etc.

When I got there I was already fixed into an early 20's social circle, I saw that it was common there for a bunch of friends to chip in on a random shitty flat, and then use it to get chill, get fucked up, pre-game, whatever before hitting the scene at night.

The people there are receptive, they don't see a whole lot of Americans or foreigners from so far away, so they're eager to hear what your deal is, and even more eager to tell you about Asturian culture, they're pretty proud of being the only region not conquered by the moors, have their own dialect, and they have their own alcoholic cider that they poor into a glass from high in the air, nifty little gimmick.

I was choppin it up with a bartender at a pub called Las Cruces, and when I told him I was a Californian he slapped in the 2pac cd over the sound system, try getting that kinda hospitality in BCN haha.

South of Spain

Nudge and DH-Godzilla -

Right on! +1 from me. That is exactly what I am looking for.

Nudge -

You have some knowledge. It sounds like you know about some more small towns.

Any that don't have tons of English?

Which ones were the most beautiful?

Can you break down Alicante and Valencia a little more? I have been there before, but I was 16.

DH-Godzilla -

When is Hoguera de San Juan?

Do you know anything about Santander?

San Sebastian?

Know anything about any of the small towns in between?

Anyone else, feel free to chime in and drop Sheets.

South of Spain

Quote: (05-27-2011 09:44 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

DH-Godzilla -

When is Hoguera de San Juan?

Do you know anything about Santander?

San Sebastian?

Know anything about any of the small towns in between?

Anyone else, feel free to chime in and drop Sheets.

The Hoguera de San Juan is on July 26th and the Black Week is typically on the 2nd week of July, so that's generally the time to be there. Black Week is legit too, it's basically a festival that turns into a party at night and goes til sunrise.

I haven't been to San Sebastian. While I was in Gijon, their little summer excursion was inland south about 2 hours to a place called Veguellina de Obrigo, in Leon. It's hotter than Gijon there, there's a few resorts with pools, cheap ass drinks just like Gijon, and a rowdy strip of pubs there. People like to set up campsites there on these rentable lots and crash out when theyre done partying. If you meet people in Gijon they may try to talk you into the place, i'm not sold on it, it was a lil too country for me and it kinda sucked.

South of Spain

Quote: (05-27-2011 09:44 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Nudge and DH-Godzilla -

Right on! +1 from me. That is exactly what I am looking for.

Nudge -

You have some knowledge. It sounds like you know about some more small towns.

Any that don't have tons of English?

Which ones were the most beautiful?

Can you break down Alicante and Valencia a little more? I have been there before, but I was 16.

Yeah I lived in BCN for a while a few years back and travelled a fair bit around Spain. Unfortunately I can't give much of a breakdown on many gaming spots because I was too shy/lazy then and just relied on social circle or whatever came my way.

As for the small towns I can't remember too many of the names but there are loads in between Alicante and Javea on the Costa Blanca. Just get in a car and go exploring. There was one called Cumbre del Sol I think which had some awesome little cove beaches. Definitely don't miss Altea as I explained above as that's my pick. Though this stretch of coast has definitely been discovered though by the English/Dutch/Germans so you will never be too far from an expat who has retired on the coast.

As for Alicante the nightlife centers around the old town with all the little narrow streets first. There are loads of outdoor restaurants, small bars and pubs. All the young people used to bottellon (big group of random people drinking in a public space) in the main plaza as well which would have been ideal to to swoop around but I have heard the Spanish Government has put a total ban on the bottellon everywhere. Dam shame! Then at around 3-30am everyone heads down to the port to hit the clubs and dance until sunrise.

Valencia is quite a big city (nearly 1m I think) and the third largest in Spain. Its quite beautiful and I really like how they turned a a dried up river which ran straight through the city, into a massive green park. Valencia is also the region where Paella comes from so this is THE place to try the famous Spanish dish. Absolutely delicious!

Once again the nightlife centres around the old town with all the small bars and restaurants. Then outside of the city there are these huge mega clubs which are most definitely an experience. There is one called bananas I think which is massive with various different rooms with different music, swimming pools, outdoor terraces, its open until 9 or 10am as well. It has a free train to and from there from the town centre. Interestingly Valencia used to be party capital of Spain in the 90's as there was something called "La Ruta de Bacalao". This was the stretch of space around Valencia that used to have massive raves with unlimited amounts of booze, drugs, sex and loud techno music. Should probably go in that glory days thread!

Valencia also has great festivals. The two main ones are Las Fallas and La tomatina (in Bunol, about an hour from Valencia). Las Fallas is supposed to be amazing. Pretty much all the different barrios spend all week building these huge paper structures of cartoon characters or whatever and then burn them in a crazy street party which lasts all weekend.

La tomatina I actually went to and it was an experience but I wouldn't recommend it. Full of idiot Australian, English and local Spanish people. Its fun for about 10 minutes being in a massive tomato fight but it lasts over an hour and there is no escape once your in the middle of it.

South of Spain

Quote: (05-28-2011 11:36 AM)Nudge Wrote:  

La tomatina I actually went to and it was an experience but I wouldn't recommend it. Full of idiot Australian, English and local Spanish people.

I also hated La Tomatina, there were degenerates everywhere and I even met someone there who lived up the street from my house back in the States. It killed the adventure of traveling that summer.

South of Spain

What about Madrid ?

I searched this board for any info but it seems the capital of Spain hasn't been coverd yet. I will be staying there in July for a week and am trying to gather info on party locations etc.

Apart from night clubs, do tappas bars offer any possibility of interacting with the (preferably female) locals ?

Any info is appreciated !

South of Spain

I went to Valencia for the Las Fallas festival. It was a great experience but I wouldn't recommend anyone to go there just for the city. After Barcelona I found it to be like a village. It was very backward and in my opinion the city in itself is very ugly. On top of that the locals are not very welcoming, that was the only place in Spain where I experienced some racism. A group of Spanish teens came to me and started shouting racial slurs. You can argue that maybe that was because they high on the festival spirit and didn't know what they were doing but I have been to other festivals in Spain (Sitges) and not had any problems.

As for the nightlife there were only one of two really not so great small clubs in the city and because it was the fallas festival everyone was trying to get in. Since they couldn't the party started outside the clubs on the street [Image: smile.gif]. I really like Spain and Spanish people are simply amazing, but I would not go back to Valencia.

The girls are not good looking at all, probably the ugliest in Spain and maybe Europe (excluding the UK).

I did not go outside the city so I cant comment on that.

South of Spain

Quote:Quote:

A group of Spanish teens came to me and started shouting racial slurs.[

Not to offend you, but are you black? I know a lot of Spanish people and they aren't very fond of blacks.

South of Spain

Quote: (06-05-2011 08:54 AM)Geronimo Wrote:  

Quote:Quote:

A group of Spanish teens came to me and started shouting racial slurs.[

Not to offend you, but are you black? I know a lot of Spanish people and they aren't very fond of blacks.

Nope, I am an Indian, mistaken for a South American in Spain, even by the South Americans, I take it that people in Valencia have a problem with south Americans as well. Maybe my case was unique, maybe it wasn't, I don't know. As I said, I never had any problems in Barcelona and I have spent a lot of time in that city.

South of Spain

just back from a trip to the south of Spain, Sevilla, Cordoba, then down to the coast, Conil de la Frontera, Zahara de los Atunes, Cadiz and Tarifa, was there with my gf so no playing around but just a few observations:

- end of Sept/start of Oct and it's still 30 degrees plus (in the cities) and high 20s Celsius on the coast, bliss
- cheap (compared to Ire & UK) and great food and local beers and wine are all very acceptable
- plenty of cultural stuff to do if that's your bag, the old part of the aforementioned cities are all well worth visiting, 'La Carboneria' in Sevilla is a must if you have even a passing interest in music and dance
- beautiful uncrowded beaches along the Costa de la Luz, Tarifa is also fantastic for kitesurfing and windsurfing and has a younger crowd than the somewhat coupley/family oriented Conil de la Frontera
- not many critters to bother you, worst that happened me was a badass cricket that tried to hijack my alfresco drink one night!
- was not that impressed with the women in general, in any of the places I was in, perhaps this was due to it being at the end of the highs season; one thing I noticed (particularly in Conil de la Frontera) was the amount of mediocre women who were with good looking guys, this applied to both tourist couples (mostly German and Dutch, some British) and also to many of the Spanish couples I saw, in many cases the guy was a full 3 points higher on the scale - maybe I'm just more observant these days, but it was quite an eye opener....

South of Spain

Quote: (10-19-2011 02:29 PM)amity Wrote:  

just back from a trip to the south of Spain, Sevilla, Cordoba, then down to the coast, Conil de la Frontera, Zahara de los Atunes, Cadiz and Tarifa, was there with my gf so no playing around but just a few observations:

- end of Sept/start of Oct and it's still 30 degrees plus (in the cities) and high 20s Celsius on the coast, bliss
- cheap (compared to Ire & UK) and great food and local beers and wine are all very acceptable
- plenty of cultural stuff to do if that's your bag, the old part of the aforementioned cities are all well worth visiting, 'La Carboneria' in Sevilla is a must if you have even a passing interest in music and dance
- beautiful uncrowded beaches along the Costa de la Luz, Tarifa is also fantastic for kitesurfing and windsurfing and has a younger crowd than the somewhat coupley/family oriented Conil de la Frontera
- not many critters to bother you, worst that happened me was a badass cricket that tried to hijack my alfresco drink one night!
- was not that impressed with the women in general, in any of the places I was in, perhaps this was due to it being at the end of the highs season; one thing I noticed (particularly in Conil de la Frontera) was the amount of mediocre women who were with good looking guys, this applied to both tourist couples (mostly German and Dutch, some British) and also to many of the Spanish couples I saw, in many cases the guy was a full 3 points higher on the scale - maybe I'm just more observant these days, but it was quite an eye opener....

amity -

Can you break down the beaches "Conil de la Frontera, Zahara de los Atunes, Cadiz and Tarifa" a little more?

Best bars?

Best clubs?

Best hotels?

Day Game moves?

Best beaches?

South of Spain

Quote: (05-26-2011 07:10 AM)opening23 Wrote:  

Someone asked about beach towns in the south of Spain during summer. I live in Seville. Which is not a beach town. I think you first have to understand the mentality of people and girls here first. The south tends to be somewhat conservative, traditional, and closed-minded. People always say...but in the south people are always partying and so much fun. Yes and no. I've lived here for many years. Try breaking into social circles where people grow up in the same hoods, go to the same schools, then live at home until they are married and socialize with the same friends, then get a job in the SAME city and live down the block from their parents and still socialize with the same friends. I have many Spanish friends here that have never travelled more than 1-2 hrs. away from Seville and are happy as can be. Their level of English is kindergarten, if that. So I think it's very easy to find people to have a drink and a laugh, but actually making solid contacts takes a ton of work.

The girls are some of the best looking I have seen anywhere. And I have travelled a lot! I would stack Seville up against ANY city anywhere for the sheer numbers of incredible dark skinned, dark hair, slim girls. They are just everywhere. I have friends that boast of the girls in another city they saw at bla bla club at 1am. Yeah...at the best club on a Friday night you saw top shelf girls. I can go to get bread at 10:00 on a Tuesday and see tons of hot girls just walking around. It's silly...really. Problem is...many of these girls will only date Spanish guys. Your family and friends are so important here. People care about appearances...and to have their friends see them walking around with some foreign guy, it might look strange. This is not for all the girls and thankfully things have changed somewhat. But in reality this is a very closed society. I've met plenty of foreign guys who come here for a weekend or whatever, expecting streets of gold and find that they can't even get a girl to talk with them for 1 minute.

That being said, it's important to go places where you are going to get more of an international crowd! The Malaga area is certainly tons more international. You have beach towns all up and down the Costa del Sol...Benalmadena, Fuengirola, Marbella, Puerto Banus....check out some of these places.

My FAVORITE beach areas, however, are on the Cadiz side. No need to check out Cadiz town. This is more family oriented. Head south of Cadiz in a car and just stop at some of the towns and see what flicks your bic. The best towns for hooking up and having fun with a good crowd are without a doubt: LA PALMERA BEACH, CANOS DE MECA BEACH, AND TARIFA. Tarifa is the windsurfing capital of the world and sits right on the tip across from Morocco. Huge atmosphere in the summertime, with girls that come from all over Spain and Europe. You can go out every day of the week, but especially on weekends it will be packed. Tons of girls everywhere. Get out of the city to go to the best beaches and chiringuitos (beach bars).

I was at one last summer called Tumbao (which means lying down...as they have cushions on the ground). Just take a seat and look at the girls. That beach is also very good. I believe this beach is called Valdevaqueros. You also have Chiringuito Agua as well as several more. Ask people for ideas on the best ones to go to. Things change. There is a sick hotel in the area if you have the cashola called Dos Mares. Have to book well in advance. There is a club near Canos called Ohju. I have never been, but I think if you like House music, this could be good. I'm sure good girls must go to this club. The inauguration party is 18 June and the website is http://www.ohjuclub.com. If you stick to these 3 beaches, you will see all the sights you need to see, trust me.

There are probably 2 more beaches worth mentioning...for the beach action and going out somewhat...Chiclana de la Frontera and Conil de la Frontera. Might be worth a look, as would Zahara de los Atunes (but this is more quiet I think as it's a small town). Have fun!

Let's see...my ex, beautiful Asian gf and I traveled a lot together. Every where we went , people would ask her where she was from, etc., EXCEPT for one place. Now, where might that be? F*cking SEVILLA and the south of Spain in particular, where most people only care about the friends they went to kindergarten with, their 1:30 pm meal back home, and which tapas bar they'll be meeting at tonight. CURIOSITY factor, ZERO for these "provincial" idiots.

I'm not saying it doesn't happen in other parts of the globe, but southern Spain has some of the best weather in the world, and the who area could be 10 times better, if the "hosts" didn't have their heads up their asses so far...yes, HOT girls. MAYBE, 1 guy in 100 would have any chance at all with them.