rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How to Dress in a Tropical Environment?

How's it going?

I'm looking for tips on how to have style while living or at least traveling through a tropical environment.

I come from a overall colder environment and haven't really experienced tropical weather.

My body frame is slim and I do believe I'm a bit underweight.

It really boils down to person preffernce. Some people will say to never wear shorts and flip flops. Some people will say cargo shorts and flops are ok in a tropica enviroment. I hate flip flops and only wear them on the beach. It was hotter then two squirrels fucking in a wool sock when I was in the Philippines but I always wore jeans and shoes any way. Even walking to the malls in the middle of the day.... Sounds like your not fat so hopefully you sweat to much.

I have no idea if any of that helped or not but.... I have spoken

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

I wore flip flops for six months straight in South East Asia. Even in airplanes and at night clubbing. Beware of girls standing on your toes with high heels. That REALLY hurts.

Book - Around the World in 80 Girls - The Epic 3 Year Trip of a Backpacking Casanova

My new book Famles - Fables and Fairytales for Men is out now on Amazon.

I usually avoid jeans during the day as they get really hot. I try to wear khakis, if its really tropical, I wear linen pants. I wear t-shirts (vnecks), button up short sleeve shirts and polo shirts. If I'm at the beach or near the water, I just wear Board shorts all day.

Usually go with flip flops or boat shoe type of shoes (sockless).

I'm a bit thin, i.e. thin arms and legs, so I'm kind of insecure and shy about showing them off. I recently began working out and getting myself together. So eventually I hope to get on the shorts level soon.

I looked up pants, and found a brand called Cubavera, it's designed for hotter environments and their clothes are made out of linen.

Problem with linen is that it wrinkles pretty quickly.

Cotton is good but once it's wet, it takes a while to dry.

It really just depends on your personal preference, myself, as a Canadian, I suck at being in really hot weather, so while I"m in tropical countries, I tend to stay inside (cafes, malls, hotel, etc) during the day to avoid swamp scrotum and choda soda. Once it cools down a bit in the late afternoon, I'll venture outside in a tee or light cotton shirt and pants, I don't wear shorts too often unless I"m near a beach. If you do want to be outside then try wearing breathable clothes such as linens and light cottons, or if you're going to wear shorts, try to wear stylish ones like chino shorts. As always, take clues from the locals, some will wear shorts like the ones I mentioned but in cities, rarely will you see locals wearing swim trunks and tank tops, those are for backpackers and if you are rolling with that crowd then do everyone the common courtesy of showering regularly and wearing deodorant.

This type of pants doesn't look bad, kinda old mans style, but it's from linen.

I think i would wear some boat shoes as Drazen mentioned.

Shirt wise, maybe a short sleeved shirt but with a watch and another accessory on my other wrist to cover up my thin arms type [Image: confused.gif]

Extended stay? dress like the best high status locals.

Quick trip and you want to bang locals? Dress like a high status person in your country.

Vacation and you don't give a fuck? T shirt, shorts, and sandals/sneakers/casual shoes

WIA

[Image: d9ac2efc33e359a059171121fa2fe113.jpg]

Linen and light cotton. Linen stuff is available everywhere. Zara has linen suits. Wear suit separates. Cotton v neck. Cotton or linen polo shirts (non-branded). Keep it light and simple.

I hate sandals and flip flops anywhere but pool side or at beach. Boat shoes are great. Buy some talcum powder and sprinkle some in each shoe before you go out. Will help keep your feet sweat free.

Linen shorts or khaki shorts that's above knee high

Linen shirts wih rolled sleeves (short sleeve if you look good in those) or v neck t shirts (crew neck makes you look warm)

Boat shoes or driving shoes with no socks (or no show socks)

You can go more flayboyabt around beach resort.
If you are talking about outside U.S where guys don't get caught up with 'is this gay', you can go a lot more flamboyant.

Sanuk loafers are designed for hot weather. They're basically sandals with a cotton canvas upper. Because they breath so well you can wear them sockless without your feet getting as sweaty as with other kinds of shoes, like Sperry Topsiders.

Quote: (03-24-2015 02:17 PM)Meany Wrote:  

How's it going?

I'm looking for tips on how to have style while living or at least traveling through a tropical environment.

I come from a overall colder environment and haven't really experienced tropical weather.

My body frame is slim and I do believe I'm a bit underweight.

Button down designer shirt or a very good t-shirt/v-neck.

Designer jeans.

Black socks.

Polished leather shoes.

Accessories to your taste. A few rings, necklace, bracelet, etc.

Or go ahead and look like another retarded tourist.

Check out the Exofficio Airstrip shirt. High quality, well ventilated, and quick drying with great arm & sun coverage. The micro plaid colors look good enough to pull off for an evening out. Pricey but worth it.

Edit: there are many variations of the Airstrip like the Exofficio Dryfly. Different styles, colors and patterns. I like their shirts much more than say the Columbia PFGs.

Thanks all, I plan on heading to SE Asia and just need to get a few pairs of versatile tops and bottoms so that I can interchange them.

I'm going to get some clothes today and will update this thread if anyone cares.

Stay away from all of the linen pants and shit. You'll look ridiculous wearing them around BKK or any other large city.

For night I wear
tight fitting v or crew neck, chambray shirt, or tailored dress shirt
raw denim jeans or chinos
Clarks desert boots or brown suede wingtips

For day time
The same thing except I may put on chino shorts if I'm going to the gym or it's extra hot
And some white Chuck Taylors, high or low tops.

You can't go wrong with this look.

[Image: what-are-the-biggest-men-s-fashion-don-t...00x400.jpg]

I'm the King of Beijing!

^ sorry but that cracked me up so hard. I needed that Suits

Anyway, these are how I'm surviving in Singapore. 3 pairs of these babies, paper-thin.
http://www.amazon.com/Ghast-Cargo-Drawst...hast+pants

The only time success comes before work is in the dictionary.
DATASHEETS: Singapore (2014) | Vietnam (2015) | Cebu (2015) | Honolulu (2016) | Couchsurfing (2016) | KS, Taiwan (2018)
BTC: 1MoAetVtsmM48mkRx66Z9gYkBZGzqepGb5

I always wondered how back in the day in say the Caribbean why they would dress so heavily.

Even in the winter it's still hot, they are wearing way too many clothes. Take a look at this 17th century peacocking.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co...roject.jpg

If you wanna maximize 'social opportunities' (i.e. making friends, networking, meeting girls), dress sharp.

You could do fitted jeans/trousers, black or brown shoes, fitted tucked-in dress shirt. Or a little more casual but still sharp would be untucked fitted shirt, slim fitted jeans, nice clean sneakers.

If you are tall/white/athletic you will get jaw-drops and eye-pops frequently [Image: wink.gif]

Dressing sharply really sets you apart from backpackers/tourists and it opens up local connections that would otherwise be closed. Image is huge in Asia. Also, clean shaven, unless you can pull off a kind of "model look" nice neat 2-day stubble, or a goatee. "Neat" is the operative word... scruffy generally just doesn't fly and lumps you in with backpackers.

Yes the heat kills... but you get used to it. I get the sense that SE Asians like to put foreigners in categories. "poor backpacker" "rich tourist" "successful expat". Etc. You'll get treated noticably differently if you make an effort to look good.

As others may have already said, Linen is your friend. It depends some people can pull it off and still look good like me, others not so much.

Don't get heat stroke trying to impress. Passing out from the heat won't make you look good either and neither will sweating your balls off and being musty. Dress for the climate and wear short sleeve button down and khaki shorts with some appropriate breathable shoes.

I picked up a couple linen shirts from TJ Maxx once for a summer weekend trip to Miami once and I hated them. They were hot, the material was itchy and I was constantly sweating in them. One was 100% linen, the other was 99% linen.

Was it because it was cheap quality linen or do all linen shirts feel the same?

If wearing shorts, what stylish shoes should be worn? I don't think sandals are the way to go unless you're at a beach.

Quote: (03-26-2015 11:08 AM)BallsDeep Wrote:  

Was it because it was cheap quality linen or do all linen shirts feel the same?

Yeah i stopped shopping a TJ Maxxx a couple of years ago. They used to have good quality but it's in the shitter now. Save up money and get yourself some Uniqlo shirts. Of course it's much pricier but not as expensive as some other name brands. Feels good to me!

Tropical means hot! Why is it on every summer dressing thread it turns to long sleeves and linen pants?

Don't wear those stupid linen pants!!!