rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Studying abroad in London - Advice wanted!

What's up guys,

I am a college student who will be studying abroad in London, England next semester (January-May). I'll be leaving in 3 weeks and I will be in Europe for nearly 5 months taking 4 classes 2 days a week. So, I will have a lot of free time. I have two goals in mind: 1) get laid as much as possible, 2) see as much of Europe as I can. While I want to visit every major country, I will be spending most of my time in London. I want to go all out this semester so for those who have been there and can give me advice I would love to hear what you guys think. From what I've read on here, it's hard to hook up with British women but London is such a big city and fuck it's Europe so I will not allow myself to make excuses for not hooking up with a woman.

One advantage I do have is that I have a friend who is European and I will be traveling with him throughout Europe on numerous trips. He knows multiple languages and will be a great wing man...our first trip looks like St. Patty's Day in Dublin, Ireland so I am hoping it will be filled with crazyness. I have facebook - don't use it as much as I used to, but I have joined a couple of London clubbing groups b/c I know clubbing is big and how hard it is to get into the top clubs.

Anything guys...comments, suggestions, cities I should hit up for most action, or advice. Pumped for the trip!

Anything guys?

Quote: (01-03-2009 12:39 AM)b-ball23 Wrote:  

Anything guys?
Well, one thing you should realize is that hanging out in a different city every weekend will get REALLY expensive. It's not incredibly easy to access mainland Europe from London -- getting to the airport can be a pain and the train to Paris isn't very cheap. Clubbing is fine, but be prepared to pay 10-15 pounds in cover and 6-10 pounds per drink. Also, European women aren't very open to being approached by strangers. You'll have some cultural bias to deal with when trying to talk to women that you don't know or that you weren't introduced to by a group. This isn't an insurmountable problem, and most women will accept it since you're a foreigner, but you should realize that this exists.

Other than that, be prepared to spend an obscene amount of money. And to put in all of the legwork. English women will NOT make life easier for you, even if they like you.

Thanks for the info. You're right - it's going to be damn expensive. I may not be able to travel as much as possible or do as many things as I've planned given the amount of money that will need to be spent. Are you talking about the Eurostar from London to Paris? I've done that once before but I forgot how much a regular coach seat costs. I do know that it takes ~ 2 hours. I'm staying at an international student living place so I want to jump on that opportunity to meet girls fast but I am a little worried about some of the clubs; it seems to be on a "who you know" basis. Hopefully some of the facebook groups I've joined can help with that. Either way, I'll still be paying out the ass for that...a good alternative is to drink at the pubs and then go to the clubs but I dunno.

Sounds like it will be an uphill battle with the European women. A bit discouraging but a fun challenge nonetheless.

Quote: (01-04-2009 12:01 AM)b-ball23 Wrote:  

Sounds like it will be an uphill battle with the European women. A bit discouraging but a fun challenge nonetheless.
Don't get discouraged. Remember that London is one of the most cosmopolitan cities on the planet; you'll meet people from all over the world. Where are you staying? The International Hall next to Coram's Fields? I live right next to there.

Depending on how far in advance you schedule it, a Eurostar ticket to Paris will start at about 80 pounds (and can run up into the hundreds if you're booking last-minute).

The best way to save money is to pre-game really hard before going out; most people do that. Pubs are still pretty expensive -- you'd probably pay 3 pounds for a lager at most pubs, with student pubs being cheap at about 2 pounds for the same drink. Your best bet is finding student nights at clubs, but getting in can be tough if you're not with a few girls. A lot of the clubs on Haymarket street are like that, although they're not really that fantastic. There's a club called Sports Club or something like that on Haymarket that does a Monday night special with 1.50 pints of lager.

Feel free to give me a PM when you get here if you want to meet up for a pint or something.

I'll be staying at an international student living center close to the Kings Cross tube stop. If I don't meet people there something is wrong with me. ha

Where is Haymarket street relative to central London? I know my whereabouts somewhat but that street is unfamiliar. I definietly plan on pre-gaming to save on cash - although sometimes that makes you want to spend even more inside clubs haha

I'll be there around the end of the month so I'll probably shoot you a PM then.

Quote: (01-04-2009 10:44 PM)b-ball23 Wrote:  

I'll be staying at an international student living center close to the Kings Cross tube stop. If I don't meet people there something is wrong with me. ha

Where is Haymarket street relative to central London? I know my whereabouts somewhat but that street is unfamiliar. I definietly plan on pre-gaming to save on cash - although sometimes that makes you want to spend even more inside clubs haha

I'll be there around the end of the month so I'll probably shoot you a PM then.

Haymarket is pretty far from Kings Cross, but that was just an example of a bar with a good special -- the bars on Haymarket are super touristy and pretty lame. There are actually a few really good bars right next to King's Cross. I have a friend staying at the hall you'll be staying at and he really enjoys it.

I've never been to england but i hear english girls are easy. Talk loud in the bar so they know you're american off the bat?

Quote: (01-07-2009 08:14 PM)Roosh Wrote:  

I've never been to england but i hear english girls are easy. Talk loud in the bar so they know you're american off the bat?

English chicks are easy but tend to regard Americans as obnoxious.

You are shooting yourself in the foot by playing the loud American card there.

Quote: (01-12-2009 03:04 AM)Lumiere Wrote:  

You are shooting yourself in the foot by playing the loud American card there.

Really? HAHA didn't know that...guess I won't be doing that then. Glad to know they're easy...doesn't hurt.

BTW, are most of the nice clubs and pubs 18+? I'm 20 right now and don't turn 21 until May...I'm assuming given my age I should be able to get in just about anywhere.

I'm just a little worried because I wen to this website (http://www.forbiddenlondon.com/clubs/vie...guestlist/) and most of the clubs say minimum age 21 with exceptions for those who buy tables.

Quote: (01-16-2009 10:31 PM)b-ball23 Wrote:  

BTW, are most of the nice clubs and pubs 18+? I'm 20 right now and don't turn 21 until May...I'm assuming given my age I should be able to get in just about anywhere.

I'm just a little worried because I wen to this website (http://www.forbiddenlondon.com/clubs/vie...guestlist/) and most of the clubs say minimum age 21 with exceptions for those who buy tables.

I've never been to Crystal Club, but I can safely say that, even if you do have hundreds of pounds to spend on going out each night, the people you meet in halls probably won't. So unless you plan on going out by yourself to the most expensive clubs in London to rub elbows with lawyers, finance types, and old money, I wouldn't worry so much about getting into clubs like the ones you linked to. You'll go out with the friends you meet in halls.

And yes, most clubs/pubs are 18+.

Well I'm settled into the Nido place and I've met a few people. Nido hasn't really done a good job of getting students to meet other students, and I feel like a lot of people just do their own thing. I'm thinking about joining some clubs and one of the basketball leagues to meet more people. I'm still in the culture shock stage but am getting more used to life here as the days go by...do you know a lot of ppl here Eric? I'll have to give you a PM soon for a drink

Quote: (01-28-2009 02:52 PM)b-ball23 Wrote:  

Well I'm settled into the Nido place and I've met a few people. Nido hasn't really done a good job of getting students to meet other students, and I feel like a lot of people just do their own thing. I'm thinking about joining some clubs and one of the basketball leagues to meet more people. I'm still in the culture shock stage but am getting more used to life here as the days go by...do you know a lot of ppl here Eric? I'll have to give you a PM soon for a drink

I felt really isolated the first term, but I've actually got a pretty solid social circle now and feel like I could call a few people up most nights of the week and find something to do. If you're only here for a semester, I'd suggest being more outgoing than I was, but then again I'm on a master's degree and probably have more work than you'll have.

How is Nido?

Nido is not a bad place to stay for a couple months, I've met a decent amount of people but mostly Americans. We'll see how things are once school gets going this week...I'll be in Amsterdam next weekend and then I'll be back here so I'll see what your up to then

undefined

Brits calling Americans obnoxious is hypocrisy of the highest fucking order. And this is coming from a man who is neither British nor American.

Quote: (01-23-2012 06:37 AM)P Dog Wrote:  

Brits calling Americans obnoxious is hypocrisy of the highest fucking order. And this is coming from a man who is neither British nor American.

Here he goes again with his anti-Brit sentiment. This is coming from a man(17yr old? just) who has never been to Britain or America.

P.S. Sorry I forgot to reply to your PM!, doing it now [Image: wink.gif]

Quote: (01-04-2009 05:38 PM)Peoloom Wrote:  

Quote: (01-04-2009 12:01 AM)b-ball23 Wrote:  

Don't get discouraged. Remember that London is one of the most cosmopolitan cities on the planet; you'll meet people from all over the world. Where are you staying? The International Hall next to Coram's Fields? I live right next to there.

Depending on how far in advance you schedule it, a Eurostar ticket to Paris will start at about 80 pounds (and can run up into the hundreds if you're booking last-minute).

The best way to save money is to pre-game really hard before going out; most people do that. Pubs are still pretty expensive -- you'd probably pay 3 pounds for a lager at most pubs, with student pubs being cheap at about 2 pounds for the same drink. Your best bet is finding student nights at clubs, but getting in can be tough if you're not with a few girls. A lot of the clubs on Haymarket street are like that, although they're not really that fantastic. There's a club called Sports Club or something like that on Haymarket that does a Monday night special with 1.50 pints of lager.

Feel free to give me a PM when you get here if you want to meet up for a pint or something.

"you'd probably pay 3 pounds for a lager at most pubs,"

You must have a time machine pal!
I haven't paid £3 a pint for years except the below options.
Try 4 pounds a pint of lager most places central (except Witherspoons pubs,or Samuel Smiths or student/university pub. )

Stick to ale/bitter and you'll save a bunch.

Ale and bitter is what beer should be like anyway, and the British ones are the best in the world.

If only they had some decent beer in Ukraine [Image: sad.gif]

Highly recommend exploring different student union bars. All the big universities have them. Drinks are cheaper and the girls are generally very open. King's College London has a very nice one overlooking the river.

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

edit

Quote: (01-26-2012 03:56 PM)hunter7 Wrote:  

Can´t someone bust out a London datasheet? I bet there are many Forum members who pass through London and could use some info

Check out my posts in this thread:

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-64-pos...l#pid49618

Eventually I'll bust out a full-blown datasheet.

"A flower can not remain in bloom for years, but a garden can be cultivated to bloom throughout seasons and years." - xsplat

Caligula knows his stuff when it comes to London!

I'll bust out a London datasheet pretty soon.

Happy to answer any specific questions about London in the meantime.