rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Cracked Rib from BJJ

Cracked Rib from BJJ

In my jiu-jitsu class, a 300 lb. woman showed up to train. I am about half that myself. When we rolled, she cracked one of my ribs. I figure to be facing a couple months of rest.

Has anyone dealt with a cracked rib before? And if so, any tips for making the recovery go by easy?

Cracked Rib from BJJ

Damn sorry bro. Not to be a dick, but couldn't you say something like, "I am allergic to fat people?"

This thread should help. http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-34422.html

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Cracked Rib from BJJ

Quote: (01-20-2015 09:41 PM)Bacchus Wrote:  

In my jiu-jitsu class, a 300 lb. woman showed up to train. I am about half that myself. When we rolled, she cracked one of my ribs. I figure to be facing a couple months of rest.

Has anyone dealt with a cracked rib before? And if so, any tips for making the recovery go by easy?

Yeah. Not much you can do for a fractured rib unfortunately. It's going to take a while to heal. I wouldn't rush it, 4-6 weeks of rest minimum depending on how severe the injury is. Several movements are going to be off limits for a while.

Cracked Rib from BJJ

Can't play guard against someone that big. Should take a few weeks to heal up. Lift and eat clean till you can train again if you do have to roll with big people when you come back make sure you play a distance keeping guard like spider and just come up on top and force them to play guard.

Cracked Rib from BJJ

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Quote: (01-20-2015 10:13 PM)JCIZZLE Wrote:  

Can't play guard against someone that big. Should take a few weeks to heal up. Lift and eat clean till you can train again if you do have to roll with big people when you come back make sure you play a distance keeping guard like spider and just come up on top and force them to play guard.

How long before lifting?

Cracked Rib from BJJ

A rib? Was she sucking that ha...ohh... never mind.

Cracked Rib from BJJ

Quote: (01-20-2015 10:33 PM)Bacchus Wrote:  

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Quote: (01-20-2015 10:13 PM)JCIZZLE Wrote:  

How long before lifting?

I'd say atleast a month depends on how you feel and what movements you do since lifting will be more controlled than rolling.

Cracked Rib from BJJ

I once visited a BJJ school affiliated with my teacher and they had a king of the hill session and I had to roll with a 300 pound dude slightly tear my groin muscle when I pulled guard on him because he burst out of it with a sudden force I was not expecting. I tapped him out with a triangle, but tapped out off the hill because I knew I had some damage. They all thought that shit was hilarious. White belts are dangerous at times and I tell you guys all the time that weight equals power.

All you can do is rest and do literally nothing for 4-8 weeks. You should get an xray, even if they are too expensive these days, just so you know how bad the crack really is.

Dating Guide for Mainland China Datasheet
TravelerKai's Martial Arts Datasheet
1 John 4:20 - If anyone says, I love God, and hates (detests, abominates) his brother [in Christ], he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, Whom he has not seen.

Cracked Rib from BJJ

The worst thing is when a big ass guy decides to do a kneeonbelly hurts like a bitch.

Cracked Rib from BJJ

I had the same thing happen while drilling passing the guard. Some try hard jumped over me and landed his knee and all his weight on my rib... Coughing, farting, and laughing lead to excruciating pain... I was advised to stay off 8 weeks and I took 10 due to work. When I returned I took it easy and told my sparring partners about it so they wouldn't smash that side. 4 weeks may be rushing it and I'd be carefull with lifting prematurely because it might start you back at square one. Many of my training partners had been through the same thing and many regretted returning too soon. It was hard but I'm glad I let it heal fully.

The other possibility is that the cartilage was separated from the bone; it's more painful but generally heals faster.

Stay up brother and keep yourself busy. Walking was unfortunately my only exercise for a month or so.

Oh and is it me or is a 300 lb woman training jiu jitsu about the worse fucking idea I've ever heard? To Big girls trolling the forum: stick with cross fit.

Cracked Rib from BJJ

Is there an official BJJ thread?

Cracked Rib from BJJ

Sorry man dont wish that on anyone.

Around ten years ago I cracked my ribs and Punctured/Collapsed Lung while Kite Surfing to close to some rocks.

It takes a while YOU HAVE TO REST, not doing anything physical was the hardest part for me.

Only thing i could recommend after 2-3 weeks is work on your GRIP STRENGTH That was the only thing i was able to do for weeks.

Other than that get through some books, I am sure you have a reading list.

Cracked Rib from BJJ

I just got over a bruised rib which isn't nearly as bad as a cracked one but I feel your pain homie, it was terrible and I almost went to the hospital thinking that I was having a heart attack! For four straight weeks I was reminded of my injury first thing in the morning as I had a major shot of pain when I got out of bed. Unfortunately there's not too much you can do but wait it out, I made some serious gains in the gym in the previous months and basically lost it all due to some drunken wrestling at 4am!

Cracked Rib from BJJ

Time for an update. It's been about 2 weeks since I broke my rib. As long as I take a few motrin, I don't really feel it except if I turn my torso. Coughing and sneezing also hurt. Otherwise, I can breathe and move around fine. Laughing doesn't bother me either. I have not been back in the gym, but I should be able to return to some exercise in a few weeks.

Cracked Rib from BJJ

Quote: (02-04-2015 09:23 PM)Bacchus Wrote:  

Time for an update. It's been about 2 weeks since I broke my rib. As long as I take a few motrin, I don't really feel it except if I turn my torso. Coughing and sneezing also hurt. Otherwise, I can breathe and move around fine. Laughing doesn't bother me either. I have not been back in the gym, but I should be able to return to some exercise in a few weeks.

I fractured a lower rib a few months ago while using the safety squat bar (I was using a 4" belt - bad move).

I switched to a 3" belt for SSB, and proceeded as normal.

A cracked rib isn't the end of the world. Train through it.

Cracked Rib from BJJ

That sucks. I wonder if there are ways you can train against heavier people. Perhaps you shouldn't take BJJ if you weigh under 200lbs (I fluctuate between 195-200 which I believe is around the standard UFC fighter weight for 6'0). I took an intro class once and it was fine because I was just as heavy as the heaviest person there. A 300lb person would probably still be a problem for me though.

Cracked Rib from BJJ

Quote: (02-22-2015 03:15 PM)PHC19 Wrote:  

No, it's not the end of the world, but I want the bone to actually heal. Returning to jiu-jitsu now would prevent that. However, I started lifting weights again this week. The rib didn't bother me for a majority of the exercises. I'll be doing that until I can return to jiu-jitsu in 2-3 weeks.

Cracked Rib from BJJ

Quote: (02-22-2015 09:49 PM)Bacchus Wrote:  

Quote: (02-22-2015 03:15 PM)PHC19 Wrote:  

No, it's not the end of the world, but I want the bone to actually heal. Returning to jiu-jitsu now would prevent that. However, I started lifting weights again this week. The rib didn't bother me for a majority of the exercises. I'll be doing that until I can return to jiu-jitsu in 2-3 weeks.

Yep, that's what I meant WRT to training with weights. Wasn't clear enough.