rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Official Boxing Thread for Videos, History, Interviews, Analysis, etc.

I did a search and saw various boxing threads, and ones about particular fights, but no general thread.

I've seen G and others post up dope videos in random threads, but I thought it'd be a good idea to have a central location so they don't get lost in the archives.

I'll get us started:

Good idea

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H L Mencken

One of my favorite videos on YouTube.

[youtube]a_Amgp8Qd9s[/youtube]

Earlier this year I found a youtube channel called "A Million Styles Boxing" by trainer Barry Robinson. I believe he studies wing chun outside of boxing, and mentions the wing chun concept of hand-trapping. Barry used a section from the Mayweather vs Gatti fight to illustrate how Floyd uses the same elements of wing chun to move Gatti's arms and open up his body for precise shots. You can observe the slow motion on this highlight reel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...5ljS0&t=89
skip to 1:30

Observe how after the left hook, Floyd pushes Gatti's left elbow in order to attack his body. Barry mentioned in another video that while Mayweather is known as an effective striker, he uses a lot of wrestling elements to seize an advantage.

The youtube site was taken down, so much of his breakdowns about footwork, positioning, range and other fundamentals are unavailable. He does have a vimeo site with some analyses uploaded:

http://vimeo.com/channels/amsbtraining

Here's a video by Bruce Lee's contemporary/student/teacher Dan Inosanto. It covers the principles of the Philippines martial art of Kali. Being a teacher of Jeet Kun Do, Mr. Inosanto also covers other fighting styles such as muay thai, wing chun, and boxing to teach the same principles from multiple perspectives.

Here he covers the contribution of Philippino knife fighting to modern boxing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...qyw&t=1137
skip to 18:57

"The whole point of being alpha, is doing what the fuck you want.
That's why you see real life alphas without chicks. He's doing him.

Real alphas don't tend to have game. They don't tend to care about the emotional lives of the people around them."

-WIA

You guys might like this channel, boxing coach from Israel with lots of training videos and tutorials:

And of course, these are classic:

Nice thread.

It's always funny to me how quickly many people dismiss boxing as a martial art (usually on the internet). Over the years I've lost count of how many times I've read some keyboard jockey go on about how boxing is not effective compared to other martial arts because it doesn't use kicks, or elbows, or grappling, etc... They will usually then proceed to pimp some Asian martial art that's supposedly THE MOST DANGEROUS IN THE WORLD or some such nonsense. (Or lately, you see a lot of clowns talking about Krav Maga, which is little more than a bunch of over-choreographed drills straight out of an action movie).

It's always painfully obvious that idiots like this have never even seen, much been in any type of real street fight. They get all their opinions on street fighting from the movies. The reality is that boxing is by far the most effective and versatile martial art for real-world fighting. Period. No other martial art gives you the combination of offense, defense and mobility that boxing does, and no other martial art allows a competent practitioner the ability to defeat multiple unarmed opponents the way boxing does.

Kickboxing and Muay Thai are close seconds, but boxing ultimately trumps them in my experience, because it's very rarely advantageous to take your feet off the ground during a street fight, since it's very easy to trip/slip on something and end up on the ground, which is the last place you want to be. Yeah, it's nice to have an arsenal of kicks and knees, but fast hands, good head movement and adroit footwork are much more important for walking away from a street fight.

Boxing for life.

[size=8pt]"For I reckon that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us.”[/size] [size=7pt] - Romans 8:18[/size]

Quote: (08-06-2013 02:36 AM)scorpion Wrote:  

It's always painfully obvious that idiots like this have never even seen, much been in any type of real street fight. They get all their opinions on street fighting from the movies. The reality is that boxing is by far the most effective and versatile martial art for real-world fighting. Period. No other martial art gives you the combination of offense, defense and mobility that boxing does, and no other martial art allows a competent practitioner the ability to defeat multiple unarmed opponents the way boxing does.

I think that Boxing also carries over to fighting with the kinds of weapons you'd find in regular life like sticks, bottles, tire iron, etc. Who can hit harder, faster and more accurately? A boxer who can generate the power to throw a fight ending hook since he's done it hundreds of times on sparring partners and thousands of times on the heavy bag, or a the guy doing silat/eskrima/kali by cutting the air with a sai and nunchucks?

One of you guys should do an article on why Boxing is the best martial art for players.

I don't know how to embed yt videos, but anyway here's a selection of technique videos I've come across recently:

Here's some Colombian (I think) instructional videos demonstrating perfect textbook technique (there's a whole series of them linked to this video too). Notice how high he raises the elbow on the lead hook, Cuban style. Most coaches say this is to ensure the white part of the glove lands in order to score points, but I've found it an effective variation that adds a little more pop and gets the shoulder right up to protect the chin: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLXHsFRwtOc

Here's Hopkins teaching Rashad Evans about throwing the lead right hand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHwPBTDDp00

In this corner with Mayweather where Mayweather also talks about throwing the lead right hand off rhythm: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqOJp9Wmayo

Here's Tommy Hearns teaching Bradley how to sit down on the right hand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1GtrWw09eE

Here's a decent breakdown of Hearns' right hand: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgXA6wFbzDA

Same guy discussing reaching with the lead hook in order to get it to land, as opposed to shifting weight to rear foot as in the classic hook (he makes some good points, video is in two parts): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMU7wQJzNHc

A few more interesting ones:

Lennox Lewis showing Eubank how to jab from the coil: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uv2leT3cBOU

One of my favourite fighters to watch (have learned so much from watching him fight), Mike McCallum talking about "stealing" and setting up big shots (fairly basic stuff): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMeGnD0zZGI

One of the only videos clearly showing the technique for the Cuban style rear hand hook / overhand right (slightly different to the typical overhand, you'll see the Cubans throw this a lot in amateur competition, Gamboa also throws it a lot, including a variation to the body): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9P06e-bEd8

Heavyweight Boxer Tommy Morrison Dies at 44

R.I.P. Tommy Morrison

Sad to see him go so young.

Good editing on this compilation:

Man, RJJ should have retired either after beating John Ruiz, or after regaining the Light Heavy belt - what a legacy he would have had. I just hope his descent into crapness won't harm said legacy after he retires formally. I think in his prime, he was up there, and I mean UP THERE at the very top echelons of the sport.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit upon his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats. - H L Mencken

Watching the Wladimir Klitschko vs Alexander Povetkin fight, not very exciting so far.

I'm seeing more clinching than combinations.

Going to mention one I have mentioned before.

Mike Tyson's entrance music. Just noise. Very scary...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN9bpOV9beQ&t=2m30s

The heyday of boxing is over. Like hip hop and sex b4 AIDS, just a memory.

I'm going out on a limb and am going to say that Ali is not the greatest boxer of all time. He was an activist and played an instrumental role in the Civil Rights Movement of the 60s and early 70s. However, I think Floyd Mayweather Jr. is the best of all time. Look at his track record. Flawless, even better than the Klitschko twins.

Quote: (10-06-2013 12:03 AM)RougeNoir Wrote:  

I'm going out on a limb and am going to say that Ali is not the greatest boxer of all time. He was an activist and played an instrumental role in the Civil Rights Movement of the 60s and early 70s. However, I think Floyd Mayweather Jr. is the best of all time. Look at his track record. Flawless, even better than the Klitschko twins.

What separates Mayweather from guys like Ali, Tyson, and Roy Jones, Jr. is that those other guys all had pretty serious downfalls. At this point, I'd say that the chances of Mayweather ever losing are slim and none. If anything, it seems as though he is only getting better.

Quote: (10-06-2013 12:10 AM)Merenguero Wrote:  

Quote: (10-06-2013 12:03 AM)RougeNoir Wrote:  

What separates Mayweather from guys like Ali, Tyson, and Roy Jones, Jr. is that those other guys all had pretty serious downfalls. At this point, I'd say that the chances of Mayweather ever losing are slim and none. If anything, it seems as though he is only getting better.

Exactly. We can only debate on who landed the best punch on Floyd Mayweather Jr., Shane Moseley or Zab Judah, while we can reminisce of James "Buster" Douglas overpowering and eventually knocking out Iron Mike, or Joe Frazier winning on points against Ali, Roy Jones losing twice to Tarver. Floyd Mayweather Jr. has demonstrated that he is the ultimate fighter for his weight class. His opponents immediately look amateurish and as the fight goes on they lose their composure due to counter-punching and become helpless. Even amidst the vacancy of a real American heavyweight, "Money" Mayweather may well very be the best the boxer the sport has ever seen in the history of pugilism.

Quote: (08-06-2013 02:36 AM)scorpion Wrote:  

Nice thread.

It's always funny to me how quickly many people dismiss boxing as a martial art (usually on the internet). Over the years I've lost count of how many times I've read some keyboard jockey go on about how boxing is not effective compared to other martial arts because it doesn't use kicks, or elbows, or grappling, etc... They will usually then proceed to pimp some Asian martial art that's supposedly THE MOST DANGEROUS IN THE WORLD or some such nonsense. (Or lately, you see a lot of clowns talking about Krav Maga, which is little more than a bunch of over-choreographed drills straight out of an action movie).

Kickboxing and Muay Thai are close seconds, but boxing ultimately trumps them in my experience, because it's very rarely advantageous to take your feet off the ground during a street fight, since it's very easy to trip/slip on something and end up on the ground, which is the last place you want to be. Yeah, it's nice to have an arsenal of kicks and knees, but fast hands, good head movement and adroit footwork are much more important for walking away from a street fight.

Boxing for life.

Scorpion, just curious, have you been in a street fight? Do you box?
I agree that boxing >>>>> all stupid martial arts, but one on one a few judo moves like the backsweep is good shit, if "Watch My Back" is to be believed (great book!).

I haven't been in a street fight but want to sometime soon. Picking fights at bars in the US is a pain in the ass because most people either chicken, start yelling, or get like four of their friends to beat the shit out of you and leave your beaten body near the overpass for homeless crack addicts to (probably) abuse somehow. Or they just freak out and call the cops. The honor code of old has been unwisely cast aside and methinks it makes people more asinine and less polite. My guess is that I'll get into one serious fight and probably end up a pacifist but I don't know for sure until it happens.

A guy can get some kind of a complex if he is itching for a fight but can never get one. I guess I'll just find a boxing gym or maybe see if my friends are interested in fight club type shit but curious if you have any tips. Thanks man.

Quote: (10-06-2013 12:46 AM)RougeNoir Wrote:  

Floyd Mayweather Jr. has demonstrated that he is the ultimate fighter for his weight class.

He does have a great win streak. It would have been nice if he would have fought Manny Pacquiáo when people were calling for the fight. I have a much greater respect for guys like Sugar Ray, Roy Jones and Holyfield because they took risks and fought in multiple weight classes. Roy Jones Jr was a champ in multiple weight classes.

After you clean out your weight class, you can move to another weight class to continue to get quality fights and greater challenges. Mayweather seems to be more concerned with protecting his winning streak, as novices will use that to argue he is/was the best of all time. I'm sure other great fighters could have sat back in their comfort zone and accumulated wins. Roy Jones Jr fights were exciting and great entertainment. Sugar Ray fought wars against guys like Herns. Ali fought the great ones like George Forman and even the dangerous Ernie Shavers. I guess I need to study up on Mayweather Jr because his fights don't stand out to me.

^ Mayweather's frame is too small for him to realistically operate any higher than Light-Middle, without severely compromising himself unnecessarily. There's a selection of stats I've posted below. They're pretty damn impressive and, at least for me, confirm he is the greatest boxer out of the ones you listed, and probably of all time.

http://www.boxinginsider.com/columns/flo...-them-all/

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/11351...x-at-least

That said, RJJ is probably in my top 3 favourites to watch (in his prime), Mayweather isn't even in my top 5.

The way to accumulate great stats. This is the greatest fighter of all time?

Floyd is supremely talented at two things: anticipating the other fighters movements, and making money. Recall that early in his career he was portrayed as a good guy because of his looks and articulation, "Pretty Boy Floyd". He himself sought to put on a black hat, appear arrogant and anti-Mexican, for no other reason than to draw pay per view viewers to his matches - they paid to see him be defeated! I think he's much more nuanced, and much smarter, than what you see on shows like 24-7 or now, All Access.

As far as pure boxing ability, he has enormous talent. I don't think he'll go down with Ray Robinson and Ray Leonard because he didn't face the opposition they faced, and he also doesn't take a punch as well as they did. But talent-wise, he isn't far off. He chose to focus less on making a legacy and avoided some tough fights (Margarito, Pacquiao) and more on earning $. It's hard to blame him - he's the one risking brain damage with each fight.