rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Best Place in the USA to Live on a Middle Class Income?

All things considered, whats your opinion as to the best place to live in the USA on an average middle class income?

I would consider a lower middle class household income to be between 50k-70k, and an upper middle class household income to be between 200k and 250/300k.

For the purpose of the question, we'll consider an average middle class household income to be between 70k and 100k dollars. I realize that there is a big hole between 100 and 200 k in the categories, but this isn't an exact science, and I'm interested in the 70k to 100k income range.

Thats because this is the easiest range to hit working a good job alone, with a graduate degree, and no further entrepreneurial push to take you above that range.

There would be a lower tail of 60k(for areas with a lesser economy) and a higher end tail of 110k (for areas with an above average economy) within that range. Usually, the economy in the location where you work would determine on what end of the middle class income spectrum that you could reach. So, economy of the place will play a part in the decision. For instance, it would be difficult to make 110k in any middle class job in Ithaca New York, but if working in NYC in the same, job, it may reach that upper end. Usually, but not always, the cost of living makes up for differences in income due to the local economy.

Also, I realize that any place can be great with a lot of money, and any place can be hell with no money. So I want you to consider the "best place" that you don't need to buy your way into happiness with a lot of income, but can live a nice life with a middle class income.

Characteristics of the Place to Consider:
1. Year Round Weather
2. Culture/Things to do/Nightlife (whatever is important to you for entertainment)
3. Average Quality of the People (nice, abrasive, snotty, fake, good personalities, loyal, etc..)
4. Economy
5. Price of Housing
6. Overall quality of life
7. Scenery/Beauty of Area

So, whats your best place on a middle class income? No place is going to be perfect, and no place is going to hit all of the best characteristics listed above. But whats the best for you, considering whats important to you?

My experience...

Chicago...much cheaper than DC...still have a large city/culture/nightlife/mass transit/job-career ops

Atlanta..basically dc with more humdity and much lower cost of living

Charlotte..it's okay, didn't feel it met the hype but you can live like a king and enjoy the amenities you have listed

and i'll put this down

Raleigh, NC is fucking tight son...nice and affordable...area is blowing up...the only downside is the bars/club/lounge scene is pretty pathetic. But if your out of that phase or slowing down or maybe have kids this would be the first place to move too...i'm working with a recruiter for ops in the area now....

Atlanta is a great place to live on middle class income.

It's highly underrated and many people dismiss It (They assume its too Urban/READ:Black) but I'm telling you it has some of the finest women in the USA.

You know The South Eastern Conference (SEC) consistently has the hottest chicks in undergrad and the schools are known for having the hottest Co-Eds in the USA (University of Georgia, University of Alabama, Ole Miss, University of Florida, and Florida State right down the road in the ACC) ...where do you think the majority of those women relocate to after college?

Also The Black Women here are super hott and they come from all over the USA, you have a mix of highly educated/model/College Girls, industry chicks (This is Black Hollywood By The Way)...Easy pickings and always ready.

Colleges with hot chicks within 45 minutes of the metro area here Georgia State, Spelman College (All Women), Clark Atlanta University, University of Georgia, Agnes Scott (All Women) and many more.

Tons of Hot Southern Chicks drive to Atlanta for weekends to party from the surrounding Southern States (Alabama/Tennessee/South Carolina/North Florida)...It's the Sunbelt version of Las Vegas Basically.

People are overall very down to earth a good mix of New South has population and a mix of old and new.

Hot chicks Black and White and a growing diverse population major transplant area for women from all over the US and the World.

The weather is great mostly year round...Spring and Fall being the best time of year with alot of cool festivals and It's a College Football Hotbed. Summer can be humid but it's tolerable and much better than South Florida summers (besides not having a beach). Winter isnt bad...cold enough to rock some fly winter gear but without snow. Winter runs from December to February for the most part.

Very pro-business atmosphere, great for start-up Business.

Scenery is cool it has the largest urban forest covering the City in the USA also you have the Chattahoochee River http://www.nps.gov/chat/index.htm

Alot of recreation oppurtunities inside and outside of the city...you can road trip to Savannah, Panama City/Destin Beach/Charleston/Hilton Head.

Price of housing is cheap compared to Los Angeles and New York City with bigger and better amenities at a 1/4-1/3 of the price tag.

Excellent restaurant scene, cools bars and clivs and hopping diverse multi-district nightlife scene. Atlanta has always been known for hopping nightlife...4 New W Hotels. Great Hotel Rooftop and Pool Parties during the Summer.

Delta Airlines Non-Stops flights all over the world so you can get anywhere you can want to go non-stop.

Less than a two hour flight to most of the great Eastern Seaboard Cities (Miami, NYC, Toronto, DC, Etc.)

I need to do a data sheet for Atlanta...It's a great spot and Bangs Galore. Atlanta actually had the highest population increase the past 10 years so it's not a secret...Atlanta is HOT!

Take a peek...at this and many more of the weekly events and functions that happen here.

http://www.atlnightlife.net/
How we get down in Atlanta

Quote: (06-14-2010 11:39 PM)hydrogonian Wrote:  

Characteristics of the Place to Consider:
1. Year Round Weather
2. Culture/Things to do/Nightlife (whatever is important to you for entertainment)
3. Average Quality of the People (nice, abrasive, snotty, fake, good personalities, loyal, etc..)
4. Economy
5. Price of Housing
6. Overall quality of life
7. Scenery/Beauty of Area

I'm a bit biased but I'd say Socal. Answers:

1) Can't get any better than a Mediterranean climate. Best weather on the planet. Very rarely humid, only rains in winter, not many extremes in temp, mostly sunshine. A+

2) Lots to do in Socal, nightlife options are plentiful but shit closes early so I can only give it a B-.

3) Kind of a pretentious and flakey culture here, but not hard to get away from that crowd either. On the plus side, people here are more cosmopolitan and culturally open-minded. So it balances. I'll give the people a C+.

4) Sucks. One of the highest unemployment rates in America. However, L.A. is kind of a 3rd world/1st world city where you have a huge immigrant underclass, but those with educations are doing just as fine as any other city. The large population of poor immigrants makes the numbers look bad, but they won't necessarily be bad for YOU. Our economy is fairly well diversified so you can pretty much find any type of job you need. For a guy with no education, the economy gets a D-, if you have skills, it gets a B.

5) A couple years ago I would've given L.A. an F on housing. Now it might be a D after property prices have fallen(though not enough). That's probably our biggest setback, is affordable housing in a desirable area. Once again, that 1st world/3rd world thing rears its head again. Like Rio, a place can be cheap if you're willing to live in the ghetto, or mad expensive if you want to live in a desirable area and not much in between unless you're willing to live in some soul-less housing tract in the desert with a 1.5 hour one way commute.

6) Quality of life, tough one there. And once again, depends on where you live. Quality of life if you are making 100k a year with no wife and kids will be great. You'll be able to live in a nice area near the beach with lots of hot girls(somewhere like Redondo or Manhattan beach), be able to party it up at the spots with the beautiful women, take nice weekend trips to Vegas, Santa Barbara, San Fran and San Diego. I'll give the quality of life for a single guy making 70-100k a B+. If you have a wife and kids though for that same amount, then probably a D+ or C-.

7) One of our main draws. I give it an B+. You won't find a place with as much variety of landscapes as you have here. You can hit the slopes and ski in the morning and by afternoon be on the beach working on your tan. I do a lot of outdoorsy stuff so I love it here for the variety of scenery and terrain. Only reason I didn't give it an A is because much of this city is not too scenic unless you live in the nicest areas. But the state as a whole is very scenic.

Born and raised on the mid-atlantic east coast of the USA, but with a fair amount of international travel experience. My interests and values fall more in line with someone who lives a cosmopolitan lifestyle, similar to most guys on this board, rather than your average frat boy type sports fanatic.

Therefore, a decent sports culture and beer bar scene is unimportant to me.

Overall quality of life, in a nice environment, is much more important. Its hard for me to define quality of life, but if you've ever gone to a place that doesn't have it place that does, you'd know instantly. For instance, when I go visit my friend in VA beach, and then come back to Philadelphia, I notice that the quality of life difference smacks you in the face before you even get out of the car upon returning. And VA beach isn't even that great. But Philadelphia is a poor cesspool, in comparison, for the most part.

I'm well used to the USA, and so culture shock wouldn't be a problem, as long as I didn't move to a heavily religious community. Those people annoy me to no end... Thats why I would be wary to move anywhere in the Bible belt. Fortunately, most places suck there anyway. Big surprise...

Anyway, I don't want you guys to try to find a place for me, but to tell me what your best place in the USA is, and why... Thats much more interesting to me...also, its too hard to find a place for me, a guy that you've never met...

I like this thread because people will likely have some strong opinions on the subject...and hopefully will be willing to share them here...

And great answers, btw, everyone who has responded so far...speakeasy, IS, CC and lavinci...

I suspected that SoCal would be a top contender... For those of us that haven't been there, or perhaps only briefly, its that sunny place we've been watching in TV and movies our whole lives...and so it carries some allure...But in reality, I've always been wary of the supposed severe overcrowding and cost of living... Speakeasy, do you feel that the high population, especially the illegal immigrant underclass population, negatively affects your quality of life there? Also, can you still find a bohemian lifestyle there, or is it all preppy bars, high end clubs, and keeping up with the joneses? Although, in LA, Im sure you can probably find anything you want.

Atlanta was a surprise answer, I'v always heard very polar reviews of the place, like either you love it or hate it. It sounds like its worth a visit...

I'm not surprised about Chicago. I know a few people who have moved there and not come back...It seems like that might be the 'perfect' big city if it weren't for the severe winter weather...

I've been to Chapel Hill (near Raleigh) and really liked it, as everyone seemed so friendly, but I'd imagine that you would need to be very outdoorsy, a hippy, or a complete suburbanite to enjoy yourself there because everything is just so homogenous...lol...its almost too calm. But I'd still take that environment over philly anyday...

Hydrogonian,

Interesting you mention Virginia Beach! I spent some time there in the summer some years ago, and really liked it. I met a lot of Europeans who were there for the summer. They were living and working around the beach area/ Atlantic Street.

Take a good hard look at San Diego, CA. Now there's a great place that fits your criteria, except the housing costs can be high. Somewhat colder, but also interesting, are Portland and Seattle.

Quote: (06-15-2010 10:57 AM)hydrogonian Wrote:  

I suspected that SoCal would be a top contender... For those of us that haven't been there, or perhaps only briefly, its that sunny place we've been watching in TV and movies our whole lives...and so it carries some allure...But in reality, I've always been wary of the supposed severe overcrowding and cost of living... Speakeasy, do you feel that the high population, especially the illegal immigrant underclass population, negatively affects your quality of life there? Also, can you still find a bohemian lifestyle there, or is it all preppy bars, high end clubs, and keeping up with the joneses? Although, in LA, Im sure you can probably find anything you want.

I wouldn't say the underclass illegals will have that much effect on you personally if you have money and can afford a decent, clean area. However, it does effect the city negatively as a whole. Yeah, and you can find any lifestyle you want. It's VERY diverse here in scenes and niches. We're not all velvet rope Hollywood types. There's a big bohemian/hipster scene here in downtown, Silverlake, Los Feliz, Echo Park and Koreatown if that's your thing. And if you want the surfer/party/beach lifestyle, there's lots of places for that like Hermosa, Redondo and Manhattan beaches, or Huntington Beach in Orange County, or Pacific Beach in San Diego. Btw, San Diego may be a better choice overall than L.A. It's a really cool town.

Quote:Quote:

Atlanta was a surprise answer, I'v always heard very polar reviews of the place, like either you love it or hate it. It sounds like its worth a visit...

I lived in Atlanta about 15 years ago for 9 months. It may have changed a lot in that time, but my feeling was "meh". It's okay, nothing great, nothing awful, just ok, at that time. I was dying to move back to California.

Quote: (06-15-2010 03:40 PM)speakeasy Wrote:  

Quote: (06-15-2010 10:57 AM)hydrogonian Wrote:  

I wouldn't say the underclass illegals will have that much effect on you personally if you have money and can afford a decent, clean area. However, it does effect the city negatively as a whole. Yeah, and you can find any lifestyle you want. It's VERY diverse here in scenes and niches. We're not all velvet rope Hollywood types. There's a big bohemian/hipster scene here in downtown, Silverlake, Los Feliz, Echo Park and Koreatown if that's your thing. And if you want the surfer/party/beach lifestyle, there's lots of places for that like Hermosa, Redondo and Manhattan beaches, or Huntington Beach in Orange County, or Pacific Beach in San Diego. Btw, San Diego may be a better choice overall than L.A. It's a really cool town.

Quote:Quote:

I lived in Atlanta about 15 years ago for 9 months. It may have changed a lot in that time, but my feeling was "meh". It's okay, nothing great, nothing awful, just ok, at that time. I was dying to move back to California.

15 years ago was Pre-Olympics Atlanta...that's like comparing Pre-Olympics Barcelona to what it is now...Not even close...I have been living in Atlanta off and on since 1998 went to college here moved back to West Los Angeles (From Ladera Heights went to Santa Monica High School) for Grad school, took a position in DC then back here and it has changed substantial for the better since 1998 and every year since then. You probably wouldnt even recognize the place. Atlanta has definitely evolved you should come check it out...the nightlife scene is very diverse you can get a little bit of everything contrary to popular belief. But don't hit radio parties and stay away from WikiTravel and Lonely Planet recommendations they are totally off base when it comes to their suggestions.

"All things considered, whats your opinion as to the best place to live in the USA on an average middle class income? "

Probably Chicago, Atlanta or Austin, TX.

Although I have never lived in any.

Minnesota and other parts of the upper mid-west are amazing if you can deal with cold and you like white people. Your new neighbours will show up with soup on your first night. It's all friendly and everyone trusts each other.

Anywhere in here from/living in Miami? I went there a couple of years ago and was quite impressed. If there is one city in the US I wouldn't mind living in it's Miami. Anyone can give the low down on living in the MIA?

Quote: (06-25-2010 11:30 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Anywhere in here from/living in Miami? I went there a couple of years ago and was quite impressed. If there is one city in the US I wouldn't mind living in it's Miami. Anyone can give the low down on living in the MIA?

I went to Miami in 2009, it's a pretty nice city. Just many people speaking Spanish

My old job sent me on a temporary assignment...6 months to get a project off the ground..

Basically Miami is an overrated shit hole...it's hot, bugs everywhere..if you don't have ac/swamp cooler leave...and the locals are crazy. Alot of violence especially around the drug game. Apparently drugs are smuggled into the ports/city byway Puerto Rico, Jamaica, Haiti, Trinidad, Cuba even by all means possible..Drug money is everywhere...I think I read that during the 80's about 75 percent of Miami's construction was financed by drug linked money....so basically your driving by illegally financed buildings...lol

Miami Beach-Sobe is nice and is everything people say it is..women are fine and abundant in all colors. You have to check your women though because a huge coke epidemic..I've never seen so many cokeheads in my life...clubs/lounges all over...too many to count. Whatever new club is opening up in your city probably started in Miami 2 years earlier...

Cubans run shit...Puerto Ricans are flowing in as well now. Small Brazilian population along with Haitian/Colombians/Jamaicans and Dominicans...Cuban women are fine but their racist ass parents will give you shit if your black...I do not understand Cubans but that's another thread...

Pretend Miami is another country because all the natives speak either spanish or french/creole. You will have a hard time finding a job if you do not speak Spanish and in fact you will face discrimination for it...

Quote: (06-27-2010 03:24 PM)Caramel Communist Wrote:  

My old job sent me on a temporary assignment...6 months to get a project off the ground..

Basically Miami is an overrated shit hole...it's hot, bugs everywhere..if you don't have ac/swamp cooler leave...and the locals are crazy. Alot of violence especially around the drug game. Apparently drugs are smuggled into the ports/city byway Puerto Rico, Jamaica, Haiti, Trinidad, Cuba even by all means possible..Drug money is everywhere...I think I read that during the 80's about 75 percent of Miami's construction was financed by drug linked money....so basically your driving by illegally financed buildings...lol

Miami Beach-Sobe is nice and is everything people say it is..women are fine and abundant in all colors. You have to check your women though because a huge coke epidemic..I've never seen so many cokeheads in my life...clubs/lounges all over...too many to count. Whatever new club is opening up in your city probably started in Miami 2 years earlier...

Cubans run shit...Puerto Ricans are flowing in as well now. Small Brazilian population along with Haitian/Colombians/Jamaicans and Dominicans...Cuban women are fine but their racist ass parents will give you shit if your black...I do not understand Cubans but that's another thread...

Pretend Miami is another country because all the natives speak either spanish or french/creole. You will have a hard time finding a job if you do not speak Spanish and in fact you will face discrimination for it...

agreed

There used to be a battle between whether I wanted to start my career in LA or Miami....LA won by a long shot.

Quote: (06-30-2010 02:14 AM)lavinci Wrote:  

Miami is not overrated
Miami is cool
it's the place to be if you're into partying and Latinas
and in general Latin culture, because I agree this is really South America
but do not worry, if you speak Spanish and are a good looking white man, you have it made like nowhere else

Miami is a great place to visit but not to live. Partying and Fucking is not going to compensate for the mass amounts of poverty, shallow/superficial culture, socially cliquish people and hot and humid weather Miami has to offer. I could only see myself living in Miami if I was filthy fucking rich but otherwise you are better off living in L.A.

Quote: (06-30-2010 10:47 PM)IshGibbor Wrote:  

Miami is not overrated
Miami is cool
but do not worry, if you speak Spanish and are a good looking white man, you have it made like nowhere else

Miami is a great place to visit but not to live. Partying and Fucking is not going to compensate for the mass amounts of poverty, shallow/superficial culture, socially cliquish people and hot and humid weather Miami has to offer. I could only see myself living in Miami if I was filthy fucking rich but otherwise you are better off living in L.A.

i couldn't have said it better myself. 5 stars

"mass amounts of poverty, shallow/superficial culture, socially cliquish people"

Are you talking about Miami or LA? I think this applies to both.

"hot and humid weather Miami has to offer."

The winter in Miami has way better weather than LA in winter.

Personally, I like them both. Miami Beach in Winter, summer in LA (or San Diego for the Del Mar Racetrack).

"Miami Beach-Sobe is nice and is everything people say it is..women are fine and abundant in all colors. You have to check your women though because a huge coke epidemic..I've never seen so many cokeheads in my life...clubs/lounges all over...too many to count."

Last time I checked, it was snowing in LA too.

Quote: (07-01-2010 03:57 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

"mass amounts of poverty, shallow/superficial culture, socially cliquish people"

Are you talking about Miami or LA? I think this applies to both.

"hot and humid weather Miami has to offer."

The winter in Miami has way better weather than LA in winter.

Personally, I like them both. Miami Beach in Winter, summer in LA (or San Diego for the Del Mar Racetrack).

"Miami Beach-Sobe is nice and is everything people say it is..women are fine and abundant in all colors. You have to check your women though because a huge coke epidemic..I've never seen so many cokeheads in my life...clubs/lounges all over...too many to count."

Last time I checked, it was snowing in LA too.

I was giving my opinion on Miami...yeah LA/Vegas women are coke heads as well...

Miami is not overrated
Miami is cool

Yo Ish,

These guys are right, LA is very superficial as well, from reading your posts, I think you'd fit in well in the Bay Area, which is where I plan on moving. Before I think I may have said that it's too expensive, but really if you want to live any where cool in LA, it will probably be pretty comparable. A lot of heads move to Oakland because it's a bit cheaper, but still has the chill vibe, city life, women, WEED, etc., plus it's close to SF and Berkeley. I've been toughing it out up here in the "Emerald Triangle", hustling and growing trees, so I'm going to bite the bullet and get a dope ($$) pad in SF once I move there.

Quote: (07-01-2010 06:25 PM)OGNorCal707 Wrote:  

Miami is not overrated
Miami is cool

Yo Ish,

These guys are right, LA is very superficial as well, from reading your posts, I think you'd fit in well in the Bay Area, which is where I plan on moving. Before I think I may have said that it's too expensive, but really if you want to live any where cool in LA, it will probably be pretty comparable. A lot of heads move to Oakland because it's a bit cheaper, but still has the chill vibe, city life, women, WEED, etc., plus it's close to SF and Berkeley. I've been toughing it out up here in the "Emerald Triangle", hustling and growing trees, so I'm going to bite the bullet and get a dope ($$) pad in SF once I move there.

I am very down to earth, toss away material possessions, transcendentalist, secular, bohemian kind of guy. I know for a fact that I could not enjoy myself being surrounded by a bunch of people who spend all day trying to display that they are part of a privileged class.

I will be California dreaming for quite some time (at least until my masters is done) but I will look into the areas you mentioned (and yes Weed is very important to me heh heh).

Quote: (07-01-2010 10:40 PM)IshGibbor Wrote:  

Miami is not overrated
Miami is cool

Yo Ish,

I am very down to earth, toss away material possessions, transcendentalist, secular, bohemian kind of guy. I know for a fact that I could not enjoy myself being surrounded by a bunch of people who spend all day trying to display that they are part of a privileged class.

I will be California dreaming for quite some time (at least until my masters is done) but I will look into the areas you mentioned (and yes Weed is very important to me heh heh).

Ish, sounds like Northern California would be the perfect spot for you.

Quote: (07-02-2010 11:07 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Miami is not overrated
Miami is cool

Yo Ish,

Is Northern Cali doable on 80-85k per year?

Quote: (07-02-2010 11:18 AM)hydrogonian Wrote:  

Quote: (07-02-2010 11:07 AM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Miami is not overrated
Miami is cool

Yo Ish,

Yes, unless you are adamant on home ownership, you can definitely live in the bay area on 80-85K per year. Unfortunately, home costs are through the roof, but you could always buy a place in one of the less desirable parts of the East Bay, but for me that would defeat the whole purpose of wanting to live some where cool.

Quote: (07-02-2010 11:18 AM)hydrogonian Wrote:  

Assuming 85K gross and 9% CA income tax rate (which may get higher next year if more Dems are elected), San Francisco Bay Area is doable if you are ready to live in a good but small 1BR apartment. Another option would be to live in a nice house in place like La Honda or SC mountains, but commuting in traffic would be your second job.

But if you want to live outside Bay Area, you may live like a king for this kind of money somewhere in Tracy, Fresno or Modesto. The question, of course, is whether you'd like living there. Going inland from coastal areas California is VERY conservative.

somewhere in Texas. No state income tax, low cost of living, friendly ppl (assuming you are white), pretty girls (for america). Austin would be my first choice, followed by Dallas.

The cost of living is great... going out is cheap. $3 beers at most good places. At shitty local bars they can be found for $1.