rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How do you guys deal with jet lag?

I just got back from thailand about 5 days ago to the u.s. and it is a 15 hour time difference for me and jet lag is fucking killing me now. I feel weak, irritable and cant seem to hold down food. I already googled a bunch of stuff about it online but I was wondering what you guys do to prevent/cure jet lag?

I was reading online that for every 1 hour difference can take 1 or 2 days to recover from!

It usually takes me a week to fully recover from it. Make sure to sleep at normal times as well.

Yeah jet lag is horrible. I take melatonin at bedtime to help re-sync my body clock. Also get plenty of natural light in your eyes first thing in the morning in your new time zone. Google 'zeitgebers'. And, if you can, start eating your meals in accordance with the time zone you're going to for a couple of days prior to travel.

I've always found east>west easier than west>east.

Yeah after I arrived in thailand (west to east) I had no real problem with jet lag but once I've got home (east to west) Im dead tired at 7-8pm and I'm waking up at 2am in the morning. I guess I just have to tough it out for another week or so.

East to west ( up to 9 hour difference) is easy for me, the reverse sucks as I just cannot fall asleep on time. Keeping a daily routine helps, maybe take a sedative to sleep at night.

Does Taking prescription sleeping pills help either ON the plane or off? I always wondered about this

Some advice is to start eating meals on your destination's timezone schedule 1-2 days before you arrive (if possible). There's some sort of link between your circadian rhythms and eating schedule.

melatonin

it resets your internal clock

Yeah it will be tough the first week or so but it will subsidize after that. Is this your first time to LOS? The first time and back is the toughest, but once you've done that a a few times, your body adjusts to it faster. Nowadays, whenever I return from Asia, it takes me only 2-3 days then I'm back to a normal schedule.

Quote: (02-15-2013 05:22 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Yeah it will be tough the first week or so but it will subsidize after that. Is this your first time to LOS? The first time and back is the toughest, but once you've done that a a few times, your body adjusts to it faster. Nowadays, whenever I return from Asia, it takes me only 2-3 days then I'm back to a normal schedule.

Yeah this was my first time to LOS and its making me think colombia next time because I still have terrible diarrhea. I wont go into detail but im starting to think this is from food poisoning or something.

It was weird the first day back I was more or less fine but ever since than after I eat something my stomach just starts gurgling and I head straight for the bathroom.

Do you guys get diarrhea from jet lag?

I got it in LOS after 3 weeks every time like clockwork...so did other forum members I met. I assume it is a change in intestinal flora.

Quote: (02-16-2013 01:55 PM)Asaxon Wrote:  

I got it in LOS after 2 weeks every time like clockwork...so did other forum members I met.

Well Im back in the U.S. now and I got the diarrhea after my 2nd day back. I dont know if its food poisoning I got in U.S. or part of the jet lag. I never really had diarhhea very bad at all while I was in Thailand. Maybe only 2 or 3 times in a 3 week period.

sleep

When I got back from overseas I slept for a very long time. But I was only dealing with an 8 hour time difference.

You want to know the only thing you can assume about a broken down old man? It's that he's a survivor.

Quote: (02-16-2013 01:57 PM)murrb Wrote:  

Quote: (02-16-2013 01:55 PM)Asaxon Wrote:  

I got it in LOS after 2 weeks every time like clockwork...so did other forum members I met.

Well Im back in the U.S. now and I got the diarrhea after my 2nd day back. I dont know if its food poisoning I got in U.S. or part of the jet lag. I never really had diarhhea very bad at all while I was in Thailand. Maybe only 2 or 3 times in a 3 week period.

It all has to do with your internal bacteria flora changing. You probably adjusted well to SE Asia and then put yourself back on a western diet without having the means to deal with it anymore... those things can be immediate or delayed sometimes. In LOS it always took me a while to develop issues. In Brazil it usually hit me on day 1. If you have actual food poisoning you will know, trust me, you would barely find yourself typing or reading.

Another vote for melatonin here. It's also a good idea to be sleep deprived the first time you try to sleep at a normal time in the new time zone.

Even before I discovered melatonin, I could adjust pretty easily to new time zones. My body's internal clock is pretty sensitive to sunlight. A 6-7 hr difference takes me 2-3 nights to completely adjust. A 12 hr difference takes me 3-4 nights. I can also function pretty well on little sleep.

I've got the dick so I make the rules.
-Project Pat

This is the best thing I've found.

http://www.nojetlag.com

I was surprised the last time I used it how effective it was.
"does what it says on the packet"
rather than a week or two being highly effected by jetlag.

The real trick to overcoming jet lag is to fight your body's desire for sleep on your home schedule at all costs that first day. You have to charge it hard through the afternoon of the new location, even though it corresponds to the early morning hours back home. You'll often find a second-wind boost in late afternoon (morning home time). Go to sleep "normally" on the new schedule. The next couple days get easier fast. If you nap day 1 you're done.

Quote: (02-17-2013 05:54 AM)tiggaling Wrote:  

This is the best thing I've found.

http://www.nojetlag.com

I was surprised the last time I used it how effective it was.
"does what it says on the packet"
rather than a week or two being highly effected by jetlag.

[Image: dodgy.gif] homeopathy is nothing but placebo. but hey, placebos do work for some things.

i just tend to abuse coffee and alcohol to get on the right schedule as quick as possible. best to just force yourself onto the right time zone and don't take naps. melatonin does actually do something. most people only need .5 - 1 g, so beware the big doses out there.

Quote: (02-17-2013 02:58 PM)lurker Wrote:  

The real trick to overcoming jet lag is to fight your body's desire for sleep on your home schedule at all costs that first day. You have to charge it hard through the afternoon of the new location, even though it corresponds to the early morning hours back home. You'll often find a second-wind boost in late afternoon (morning home time). Go to sleep "normally" on the new schedule. The next couple days get easier fast. If you nap day 1 you're done.

Yep, this always works. Taking a week to adjust sounds horrible.

Quote: (02-17-2013 10:25 PM)tpiddy Wrote:  

[Image: dodgy.gif] homeopathy is nothing but placebo. but hey, placebos do work for some things.

ok, then you try it, not believing in it as a placebo and see how you feel after, I suggest you will be very surprised. :-)

Quote: (02-18-2013 01:14 AM)tiggaling Wrote:  

ok, then you try it, not believing in it as a placebo and see how you feel after, I suggest you will be very surprised. :-)

It says in their FAQ that there have never been any recorded bad reactions and it's impossible to overdose on it no matter how much you take.

Applying simple reasoning leads me to the conclusion that they can say that because it doesn't have any ingredients that actually do anything.

Melatonin is widely available and has been researched by actual scientists, and it not only has a placebo effect, it has a real effect too.

"I'd hate myself if I had that kind of attitude, if I were that weak." - Arnold

melatonin does actually do something. most people only need .5 - 1 g, so beware the big doses out there.

Your units are off - I think you mean 0.5 to 1 milligram.

Anyone fast on the plane? Just water and rest? I am thinking that is my plan on a trip coming up. I won't eat on the international part.

I do Intermittent Fasting anyway, so it isn't hard to not eat for 16 hours.

Thanks.

Fate whispers to the warrior, "You cannot withstand the storm." And the warrior whispers back, "I am the storm."

Women and children can be careless, but not men - Don Corleone

Great RVF Comments | Where Evil Resides | How to upload, etc. | New Members Read This 1 | New Members Read This 2

Pop some sleeping pills when you get on board.

Prior to that (a month) try sleeping and waking up earlier