rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Calgary

Calgary

About to hop on a plane back to the US. Only got to spend four days here and wish I was spending a couple more. Datasheet provided below.

Synopsis: A little small. A little bit country. But the locals are insanely friendly and the girls are just as easy.

The City: The city itself isn't so great. Unless you're really into nature (great mountains, lakes and parks nearby), you'll get bored here pretty quickly. DEFINITELY rent a car, or else you're more or less stranded in the downtown area -- and you'll be chained to your hotel room and bars. Prices are actually fairly expensive. They're the old Canadian dollar prices, except before the Canadian dollar equaled the US dollar, so $13 for a burger and fries or $3 for a bottle of coke is fairly standard.

The Nightlife: Nightlife is decent overall, and for a city of this size, it's phenomenal. Everything worth going to seems to be within a few block downtown, which makes it convenient. 17th Ave is the strip with the bar scene. Everything from dives, to sports bars, to nicer lounge-like places.

9th and 10th Ave have the clubs. The clubs here have the higher quality girls, but they're also 18+ and the average age is definitely on the low end. It may just be me, but I have little patience for dealing with stupid teenagers who can't hold their liquor, or 18-year-old girls who are completely inexperienced and immature. But that's just me.

8th Ave has a bunch of nice restaurants that are popping for the happy hour crowd and turns into more upscale clubs at night. More of a young professional scene. Decent quality. The happy hour crowd was one of the biggest I've ever seen.

Recommendations: Melrose was the best place I found on 17th Ave. It's big too, which helps. Roadhouse on 9th Ave is the Thursday night place. Weekends, you can't really go wrong anywhere from what I could see.

Quality of Girls: Again, for a city this size, very good. In general, just decent. I'd put it on par with a lower B-list city like Chicago or Minneapolis. Nothing to get super excited about, but good enough that you have something to work with.

Ease of Hook Up: Very, very high. One of the easiest places I've ever found outside of Vegas. Definitely the easiest (besides Vegas) I've found in North America, and I've been out in almost every major North American city.

It's not so much that the girls are really sexual (actually, they're not), it's just that everybody is so friggin' nice and passive. Just to give you an example, first night here, I was walking around looking for a good place to get a drink. I stopped this cute chick in business attire, probably in late 20's, to ask her for a recommendation. We talked for a minute, flirted a bit, and she says, "Here, hop in my car, I'll drive you." Uh... OK. That never happens in America. So we drive around and I invite her in to get a drink with me. She obliges, hangs out for a minute, gives me her number, kisses me and tells me to call her over the weekend.

When I called her, she immediately tried to get me to come to her house. When I told her I didn't have a car, she said, "Oh, well, I'll come to your hotel then." She comes over and we bang.

There just doesn't seem to be any bullshit head games or ulterior motives going on here. Every number I got was extremely responsive. Another girl I met up with, when we set a time and place, she texted me, "Yay, can't wait!!! [Image: smile.gif]"

Now, I know plenty of girls have THOUGHT that when I've set up dates with them, but how many American girls would actually ever tell you that?

The problem with that one was she was 19, completely naive (grew up in a small town and just moved to the "big city." Yeah... she called Calgary "the big city.") and a little bit overwhelmed by my advances. I'm convinced if I had stayed here longer, she would have slept with me, but oh well...

The last girl... wasn't that into her. She was a server at one of the late-night restaurants and never got off work until 1AM, so logistics were just terrible every night. Finally the last night, in a last ditch effort, I just texted her to come meet me when she got off work, which was like 1:30AM and everything closes at 2AM. Keep in mind, she had spent all of 15 minutes talking to me two days prior, so I totally expected her to decline and/or flake. To my surprise, she immediately agreed and showed up. Unfortunately, I only had like 30 minutes to work with and well... she was really boring and not that hot, so I let that one go.

I rarely, if ever, got a rude response or rejection to any of my approaches. In fact, this is one of those cities in which people just politely chit-chat with each other everywhere. Guys coming up and talking to you while pissing in the urinals (always awkward), some old man started talking to me about my haircut (???) in the mall. People are just really, really, really friendly here... not to mention a little naive I think, so most of your approaches are assumed to be innocent.

But again, because of this and the lower average age, you need to be very clear that you're hitting on the girl. Whereas an American girl would just assume you're hitting on her, or just know it... girls in Calgary seem to just assume you want to be friends unless you make things explicit. People are definitely not overtly sexual here.

Finally, advantages-wise... I think black guys and Latino guys may have a slight edge. I saw no more than 2-3 of each the whole time I was here. And I actually hung out with a mulatto guy the first night in town and was amazed when 3-4 girls just walked up and started touching his afro.

Stampede Week: Unfortunately, I'm going to be missing this. But from what I understand, this is a legit event and worth showing up for. From what I gather, it's kind of a bizarro rodeo version of Carnaval. They set up a big festival on fair grounds just outside of downtown. They have all the carnival rides, rodeos going on, and outdoor bars going all day. The gist of it was that you hang out at the fair all day and mingle with people, and then you bounce to downtown bars at night. Every night of the week is supposed to be hopping and everyone said it was a ton of fun.

Probably the ideal way to to Calgary is to do Stampede Week and then maybe take another week and hit the nearby lakes or maybe go camping or something. The mountains really are amazing here. The snowboarding/skiing is also supposed to be fantastic. But honestly, it get soooo fucking cold here in the winter, I don't know if I could put up with it.

Other than that, I don't think I would live here. I think 2-3 weeks and you'd be maxed out on the place. In the grand scheme of things, there's just not enough going on and it just feels very small. But the girls are easy and pretty enough, so it's worth a stop-by for any international playboy.

Messages In This Thread