rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Male professions/trades that are changing or have become extinct

Male professions/trades that are changing or have become extinct

I did a search and didn't find any threads focusing on this specific topic, I find a lot of historical skills interesting that were forgotten or became obsolete due to technology and other factors. It's easy to understand these days how many jobs for men can feel meaningless or detached from any sort of production, creativity, or masculine tradition. I respect the comments from older posters talking about how numerous basic life skills aren't being passed down anymore, and I think it goes even deeper than just parents.

Schooling and media almost seem to look down on self-sufficiency or traditional male professions that involve violence, risk, and labour. Cue Fight Club speech. I've posted a couple older videos that today would certainly generate shaming from PC critics:

If you grew up in Canada during the 80's or early 90's, you probably remember this first video. Seeing the last man just floating down the river stuck with me since I was a kid, and the song also has some game truths.

This next clip is longer but the highlights are in the first 6 minutes. Men could take anywhere from 20 mins to 20 hrs at sea to kill a single whale, dealing with storms, overturned boats, sharks and potential fires from rope friction. Check the Nantucket Sleighride.

I may develop these ideas further in the future, didn't want to make my first post too long, just want to spur discussion on some of the following:

What effects will this have on future generations?
What will be considered essential knowledge to preserve?

Also post any trades/skills from the past that you admire or that exemplify traditional masculinity

Messages In This Thread