rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Real Estate vs. Stock Trading

Real Estate vs. Stock Trading

I know there are better resources to learn about both, and I have done significant research. This forum always seems to have solid opinions however and I'd love to hear experiences with either or even better comparisons.

For real estate I've been reading about section 8 slumlording. For the market, swing trading, which is essentially trading between daytrading and buy-and-hold seems ideal for my situation.

Slumlording has the appeal of a bigger chance of appreciation on investment over time, particularly if the actual property appreciates. The obvious downfall is shady tenants, though I've read several tricks for screening for quality tenants, e.g. working families. Swing trading is both more and less involved. I may be spending more time, making it less passive, however going on a computer and making a few clicks is much less taxing then evictions, worrying about rent, and making significant financial repairs.

I have a big stomach for risk and a well paying flexible hour job, which are probably factors. I've heard both can return 20% under a deft hand. I also don't have much startup.

Where would you actively invest 20k? Hunt for a solid 100k foreclosure, put 20k down for a 10 or 15 yr mortgage, attempt to find quality tenants, and rent it section 8? Or put it in several select stocks, perhaps focusing on a particular sector and long or short trends?

My gut feeling is Section 8 is smarter, but only if I can manage from afar. Is the 10% charge of rent for a property manager an accurate figure? There seem to be particular regions with a great sub-10 rent ratio, which seem like no brainers for section 8.

I understand diversification later on would be best, but I need a place to start.

Messages In This Thread