rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet

TravelerKai’s Martial Arts Datasheet

Quote: (06-22-2016 04:51 PM)IDrinkYourMilkShake Wrote:  

Outstandig datasheet TK! I want to ask what mix of styles is do you prefer?
Also I just wonder... Im a muay thai practicioner, with some western boxing, and Im really interested on start doing judo. You wrote that its not that good for selfe defence so I wonder, isnt it? I used to work in a psych ward and there was some judokas that where pretty good on taking down ppl and holding them there. And they swear that the gi was very good to similate clothes on ppl. And like some of you guy menthioned, the part about how to fall right might save you. I also have to point out a sad fact that these days there is a high amount of (what WalkingMan called) "McThaijos", gyms that claims to teach muay thai but is rubbish, with bad boxing, no clinch nor elbows. Gyms where some ppl think they are the shit and that they can beat up anyone but wont compete, but once they get one hard hit in sparring they shrink to cry babies, have seen it many times.

You know what, that might be an oversight on my part. I should have made a distinction somewhere that in countries where bad guys do not have guns or commonly carry knives, styles like Judo or even boxing become alot better for self defense, than usual.

When I say something is not great for self defense, I am talking guns, sticks, machetes, knives, multiple opponents, broken glass bottles on the ground and other unsafe environments, cramped and crowded spaces (like a club, concert, restaurant), etc.

You cannot Judo throw a guy at a crowded bar that just told you he is about to smash your face with a glass bottle (getting glassed). Judo does not teach you how to deal with this either. Would a black belt in Judo get smashed in the face like that? Probably not, but they would have to improvise alot on the fly. They would probably grab the guy by his collars, with a gi choke, turn him around and rear naked choke him out. Because the place is packed there is not enough room for sweeps and throws.

Would your average blue belt in Judo do this? Probably not.

When making a recommendation for someone on self defense, you have to factor in the time they will be alive before they can get reasonably advanced enough to improvise like that, and take care of themselves outside.

Someone with 3-5 months of FMA/Silat, Systema, Aikido, Krav Maga, Japanese Ju Jitsu, etc. should be able to take care of that situation without too much effort.

On the other hand, a high school or collegiate wrestler (BJJ guys too...) might double leg takedown that guy and make a big mess, knocking over girls, other dudes, drinks, etc. A big risk is others getting pissed off and kicking you in the ribs while you and that guy fight on the ground.

Self defense involves risk assessment. If you are not trained on these things, you may not be able to think about these factors in a split second. A guy with a bottle in his hand means you have ~1 second to make a decision. Practice at class will have you prepared to use an appropriate action, because you guys do this stuff repeatedly.

Repetition = Muscle memory.

Honestly when people grab me from behind, I kinda zone out. Then they are on the ground, the next second, and it could have been just horseplay or a joke. My close friends and relatives, except one brother tries not to surprise me like that. One of my brothers just likes trolling me lol.

I actually used to test my higher BJJ/Judo belts like that too. When he is changing his clothes, talking, or walking home, we just jump him from his blindside and see how he reacts. It really needs to be second nature, in order to obtain mastery. That and the look on their face is funny.

Anyway, you are right about fake Muay Thai gyms. Some of those gyms that say Muay Thai actually teach American Kickboxing or just a hogepoge of junk. I was lucky, I learned Muay Thai from a guy that lived in Thailand and learned it there. He even kicked the young fruit tree the traditional way. He kicked our asses every night and told us we were pussies and would not last in Thailand. I got really good at MT because of him being tough on us.

Later he had a decent career in the UFC (Waves at Chowder Head!). Funny thing is that UFC fans seemed to not know out about his Muay Thai skills because he is known for his black belt in BJJ and his submissions. I don't think Dana White or Joe Rogan ever knew or mentioned that he lived in Thailand. Shit he used to even underground fight in strange parts of the world.

Funny how things work out like that.

Dating Guide for Mainland China Datasheet
TravelerKai's Martial Arts Datasheet
1 John 4:20 - If anyone says, I love God, and hates (detests, abominates) his brother [in Christ], he is a liar; for he who does not love his brother, whom he has seen, cannot love God, Whom he has not seen.

Messages In This Thread