rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Medhi's StrongLifts 5x5 to get big.

Hey Guys, Last week I resumed weightlifting after I time off (I lost weight and volume considerably) and started doing this stronglifts 5x5 program that I've found on the Net (http://stronglifts.com/stronglifts-5x5-b...g-program/) . Anyone here knows this method?
It supports squatting every workout ( 3x a week)

Chicks need to be on rotation like a Netflix queue

Check here

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-5908.html

Chef In Jeans
A culinary website for men

Quote: (10-23-2011 07:10 PM)Chad Daring Wrote:  

Check here

Doing squats 3 x a week is crazy, especially if you're doing them with free weights and not a smith machine. Your body needs more time for recovery. You will plateau quickly if you don't change that up. Even Savickas does them only 1-2x week and he's IMHO the strongest man who has ever lived.

years ago I did 5x5. I agree with Hokie30 about squats 3x/week being too much. I only did squats 1-2x/week. 5x5 was cool. You'll make strength gains, and it's a nice change from conventional strength training programs. Definitely worth giving it a shot for a couple of months. Unfortunately I can't give you specific stats about my progress from the program, as I did it a long time ago

I'm doing 5x5 right now and my forearms, triceps, and chest have exploded.

People in Phuket started asking me if I was juicing.

I started this in January. I researched around for a bit and a lot of guys were pointing to Mehdi as a good place to start.

I didnt follow it 100% in the beginning, but now I wish I did. Especially for the deadlifts.

I have gained ~16 pounds of solid muscle since January. I am benching 200+, squatting and deadlifting ~300 and can do 60 chinups (20 at a time). I went from 184 to 202 pounds at 6'2". Those were my goals for 2011 and I hit them in September. I am also quicker and I have more snap with hockey, last longer skiing and have more aggression when I fuck.

I would recommend it, and I do squat 3x a week. Although on squat and deadlift day I can barely crawl out of the gym.

I am thinking about squatting every second session now.

Whatever plan you decide on, CONSISTENCY is the most important part.

3 squats sounds like major overkill. You could probably go down to 2 or 1 x a week without significant loss. Probably would build muscles better since your allowing recovery of both the muscle and nerves. I wish I could do these big lifts, but I can't afford a gym now. Unemployed. The heaviest weights I have are two 53 lb kettlebells.

Quote: (10-24-2011 01:32 PM)kbell Wrote:  

3 squats sounds like major overkill. You could probably go down to 2 or 1 x a week without significant loss. Probably would build muscles better since your allowing recovery of both the muscle and nerves. I wish I could do these big lifts, but I can't afford a gym now. Unemployed. The heaviest weights I have are two 53 lb kettlebells.

I agree. Hard to maintain the intensity of 3 squat sessions week after week. How would you replace the squats in one of the sessions kbell?

Quote: (10-23-2011 07:10 PM)Chad Daring Wrote:  

Check here

Thanks Chad, I somehow missed this previous thread about a program very similar to Stronglifts.From what I've read the only advantage of Medhi's is that they let you donwload ebooks and charts 100% free.

Quote: (10-24-2011 02:23 PM)flashbang Wrote:  

Quote: (10-24-2011 01:32 PM)kbell Wrote:  

I agree. Hard to maintain the intensity of 3 squat sessions week after week. How would you replace the squats in one of the sessions kbell?

Reducing 5x5 to 3x5 and then 1x5 wouldn't be a good way to get through the plateau?

For me high weight. You can still do 5x5 on the one day you do squats. When I used to train in a normal gym (did BJJ and MMA after that), I had a limit of 3 days a week. Otherwise the soreness would effect your lifting range, and you would most likely counteract any gains I made via too much cortisol. However my diet was geared to losing weight so I didn't gain much strength. I'm almost at my desired weight which has taken a very long time since i have some metabolic and autoimmune problems which have been improving a lot on paleo/primal diet (1.2 years so far). From StartingStrenth it sounds like you need to drink like a gallon of whole milk to get your calories high enough for gains. I will have to find an alternative since that sounds like it would plug me up.

http://www.leangains.com/2011/09/fuckarounditis.html
Great article on it and overall website is worth checking out. I will be doing 5x5 based on the 5 movements again, along with tabata sprints when I get to the point I want to gain weight (when my abs are visible when not flexed). I don't work out that much when losing now except for bodyweight (especially pull ups) and kettlebells and its been working. Probably would be faster if I did 5x5 but I'm not in any rush and can't afford the weights at the time.

Heavy weights 2 or 3 times a weight sounds more manageable for very long term fitness.

I gained 30 lbs off of this program. You have to follow it exactly with no deviations and be dedicated to getting stronger. It works, and it's one of the best beginner programs out there. Don't listen to what these guys are saying about squatting 3x a week being too much.

I'm doing 3x5 workouts, but I haven't had a problem with squatting 3x/week.

Check out my report about the results I achieved doing the starting strength 3x5 program.

http://www.rooshvforum.network/thread-5908-p...l#pid84561

The key to any linear progression program is getting enough sleep and calories to recover.

Finished my 2nd week of Stronglifts. I'm liking the little results so far.
My greatest challenge right now is how to eat more without getting too much fat.'Dirty Bulking" doesn't seem a good option..

Quote: (10-30-2011 10:12 AM)Mr.GM Wrote:  

Finished my 2nd week of Stronglifts. I'm liking the little results so far.
My greatest challenge right now is how to eat more without getting too much fat.'Dirty Bulking" doesn't seem a good option..

Remove all starch and sugar from your diet, get all your carbs from fruit and veg and eat mad protein. Protein powders help too.

Chef In Jeans

I just started this program. I know it says to use just the olympic bar to start but I felt like such a pussy squatting with just a barbell so i loaded it up a bit. Did anyone start with more weight than the barbell and ow did that work out for you?

Quote: (11-02-2011 04:13 PM)WesternCancer Wrote:  

I just started this program. I know it says to use just the olympic bar to start but I felt like such a pussy squatting with just a barbell so i loaded it up a bit. Did anyone start with more weight than the barbell and ow did that work out for you?

I'd imagine what you start with depends on how much strength training you've done in the past. You aren't gonna be busting mad squats without having done them, but I never squatted before and I was able to throw 90 pounds up my first time, but I also was doing EVERYTHING but squatting before, so I had some strength built up.

Chef In Jeans

Sweet, I just assumed starting very light was so you get proper technique down, but I workout with my roommate and they're taking a class where they have to learn proper technique eg. squats. So I should be good. I'm excited to see the results of the hard work I'll be putting into this.

Other thing that is on my mind while on StrongLifts is if besides eating healthy I should do HIIT/Tabata cardio on OFF-days or just do low-intensity or zero cardio ,to not mess with my recovery.

Keep in mind there I'm more on the mesomorph/endomorph side , I tend to retain some fat while gaining muscle.

Quote: (11-02-2011 08:11 PM)WesternCancer Wrote:  

Sweet, I just assumed starting very light was so you get proper technique down, but I workout with my roommate and they're taking a class where they have to learn proper technique eg. squats. So I should be good. I'm excited to see the results of the hard work I'll be putting into this.

Second reason to start is motivation. Its a nice feeling to be able to add weight to the bar every time you go to the gym. After a coupple of months of it, you feel kind of invincible.

Quote: (11-08-2011 07:54 AM)Mr.GM Wrote:  

Other thing that is on my mind while on StrongLifts is if besides eating healthy I should do HIIT/Tabata cardio on OFF-days or just do low-intensity or zero cardio ,to not mess with my recovery.

Keep in mind there I'm more on the mesomorph/endomorph side , I tend to retain some fat while gaining muscle.

I always do 30 mins of cardio after each session and I train 5x a week. 5x5 3x a week though.

I think starting strength works fantastically. buy the book. it is worth every penny. squats are not as easy as you think, there are a lot of technical aspects to them.

in 6 months with starting strength i double my squats and deadlifts, while making big gains on the presses and cleans. i also did GOMAD and gained 40 lbs (from 230 to 270).

i'm now dieting down and back to crossfit, leaning up. looks like i gained about 25 lbs of muscle over that time period as i'm almost back to my old waist size but still at 255.

Quote: (11-08-2011 10:28 AM)Donald Duck Wrote:  

Quote: (11-08-2011 07:54 AM)Mr.GM Wrote:  

I always do 30 mins of cardio after each session and I train 5x a week. 5x5 3x a week though.

Doing cardio on lifting days is detrimental to your results. The hormones released during sustained cardio hinder muscle growth.

Chef In Jeans

Mind to share info to further back up your statement?

I cant find the original link where I read this but I'll keep digging, I also found this, he breaks down why the normal idea of cardio (running for an hour) is bad and why lower intensity cardio (walking uphill) is better

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/case-against-cardio/

Basically the idea is that the massive energy requirements of high intensity cardio force your body to seek energy from other sources, i.e. your muscles.

As well as the fact that cardio consumes crazy calories, and after lifting you need calories for your body to recover and build itself back up. If you do cardio on your lifting days do low intensity cardio, like mildly paced uphill walking with at a steep angle, or high resistance cycling.

If you want to run or do speed cycling do it on off days when you aren't lifting and you've recovered a bit.

Chef In Jeans