rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The X-Files Is Making A Comeback On TV

[Image: 53ed52a0624af.preview-620.jpg]

The famed '90's TV show is making a brief comeback on FOX for six episodes. More here.

Quote:Quote:

The truth may still be out there, but the search for it is resuming at Fox.

The network Tuesday announced the return of The X-Files as a six-episode event series, with stars David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson reprising their roles as FBI agents Fox Mulder and Dana Scully. Creator Chris Carter will be back in charge, too.

Production will begin this summer, but Fox did not announce a premiere date or any other details.

The return isn't surprising, as Fox executives said in January that they were talking to Carter about a reboot of the series.

That same month, Duchovny told USA TODAY he expected X-Files would return and that he was "more than happy and excited to bring it back and do it again with Gillian and Chris. ... It will be in some kind of limited form. We're all old, we don't have the energy for a full season," he said with a laugh.

The Emmy-winning sci-fi hit became a pop-culture phenomenon during a nine-season run that ended in 2002. The series also spawned feature films, the most recent one in 2008. The series followed Scully and Mulder as they investigated unexplained phenomena, frequently venturing into the world of the paranormal.

"I think of it as a 13-year commercial break," Carter said in a statement. "The good news is the world has only gotten that much stranger, a perfect time to tell these six stories."

"We had the privilege of working with Chris on all nine seasons of The X-Files – one of the most rewarding creative experiences of our careers – and we couldn't be more excited to explore that incredible world with him again," Fox Television Group chairmen and CEOs Gary Newman and Dana Walden said in a statement. "The X-Files was not only a seminal show for both the studio and the network, it was a worldwide phenomenon that shaped pop culture – yet remained a true gem for the legions of fans who embraced it from the beginning. Few shows on television have drawn such dedicated fans as The X-Files, and we're ecstatic to give them the next thrilling chapter of Mulder and Scully they've been waiting for."

Not sure what more needs to be said. As a long-time fan, I'll take it. That is, as long as it is better than that shitty '08 movie.

Just for shits and giggles:

The actors then:

[Image: x-files-returns-to-fox-limite-series.jpg]

The actors now:

[Image: x-files-featured.png?w=1006]

Not fucking bad, both have aged extremely well.

Any thoughts?

Quote:Old Chinese Man Wrote:  
why you wonder how many man another man bang? why you care who bang who mr high school drama man

She actually looks better in that photo than she did when she was younger. Might be the longer hair and less make up.

As to the concept itself: let's hope that this time round Chris Carter isn't bullshitting everyone when he tells us he's "totally got a plan" and "the whole mytharc will be clear once you watch another couple of seasons, you'll see." Maybe with a limited 6-episode run he can actually write a story with a beginning, middle, and end that actually explains everything that happened over the previous, oh, ten years or so. The ongoing story of these two is really messed up - from wanted fugitives at the end of the TV series back to FBI agents again with more or less the snap of a finger, WTF?

As for how the principals look...Anderson's 46, and Duchovny's 54. Even allowing for Wall collisions happening earlier for women than men, I think she's ageing a lot better than he is -- and it doesn't look to my untutored eye like there's a lot of plastic surgery going on to support that. Part of it could be the long hair, it's really working for her.

Remissas, discite, vivet.
God save us from people who mean well. -storm

Quote: (03-25-2015 02:58 AM)2Wycked Wrote:  

Any thoughts?

Gillian Anderson is a great actress and pretty underrated in many ways because the mainstream U.S. only knows her for X-files. She was really good in The Fall. Hasn't hit the wall which is amazing.

David Duchovny. Same..has aged well and is a reknown Hollywood cocksman which should be a defacto reason for RvF support.

I'm looking forward to this new mini series. X-files always had camp value.

Wow, this was my favorite TV series growing up as a kid.

I agree the 2008 movie was not that great.

But, six episodes though. Makes me wonder what the episodes will be about though. Will there be new Mythology or Monsters of the Week episodes?

[Image: x-files-featured.png?w=1006]

[Image: logo_wb.gif]
[Image: totallyher_logo_jpg.jpg]

I'm the King of Beijing!

Quote: (03-25-2015 03:22 AM)Granite Wrote:  

Wow, this was my favorite TV series growing up as a kid.

I agree the 2008 movie was not that great.

But, six episodes though. Makes me wonder what the episodes will be about though. Will there be new Mythology or Monsters of the Week episodes?

That's my guess. Chris Carter is a genius, but is also well known for epic letdowns (read: the second x-files movie). 6 episodes is not likely enough to explore any mythology.

Also, WB Gillian Anderson, before and after.

They should do an X-files cross-over with Californication.

Quote: (03-25-2015 07:02 AM)tarquin Wrote:  

They should do an X-files cross-over with Californication.

Twin Peaks would be a better fit thematically I reckon.

[Image: attachment.jpg25627]   

You want to disclose a personal conflict of interest there, former Agent Earle? [Image: biggrin.gif]

Quote: (03-25-2015 07:43 AM)Paracelsus Wrote:  

You want to disclose a personal conflict of interest there, former Agent Earle? [Image: biggrin.gif]

C'mon, it's my one and only chance to get out of the Black Lodge!

Quote: (03-25-2015 07:46 AM)Windom Earle Wrote:  

Quote: (03-25-2015 07:43 AM)Paracelsus Wrote:  

C'mon, it's my one and only chance to get out of the Black Lodge!

Trust David Lynch - I'm sure he'll get that continuation thingie out eventually... [Image: biggrin.gif]

X-files bring back lots of memories, mostly nerdy ones. Getting on IRC to discuss the latest episode right after it aired (signing on with a 14.4K modem of course). Amazing show, and both the principals appear to have their heads screwed on right. WB GA in a heartbeat. One of the few things on TV that I am actually looking forward to watching.

The truth is out there.

Really looking forward to this, X-Files remain one of my favourite shows. And Duchovny was great in Californication too.
I was actually thinking about adding Gillian Anderson to the wall survivor thread the other day, after seeing her on Top Gear a few weeks ago.

They still won't figure out what happened to Mulders sister

Quote: (03-25-2015 03:17 AM)El Chinito loco Wrote:  

Any thoughts?

Gillian Anderson is a great actress and pretty underrated in many ways because the mainstream U.S. only knows her for X-files. She was really good in The Fall. Hasn't hit the wall which is amazing.

David Duchovny. Same..has aged well and is a reknown Hollywood cocksman which should be a defacto reason for RvF support.

I'm looking forward to this new mini series. X-files always had camp value.

I second that. She was phenomenal in that series.

"Feminism is a trade union for ugly women"- Peregrine

Nice. I'll be checking it out for sure. I only recently started watching DVDs of this series, but besides being a bit dated in terms special effects, it's a good show.

Question though: Why does every series or finale or opener called an 'event'? The moon landings were an event. A six-part series is not.

'Logic Over Emotion Since 2013'

They better bring back someone like Tooms.

I'm a fan of the show. I'll watch the new episodes, but part of me thinks that they should just leave the show in the past. Part of its charm is how rooted it is in late 90s culture. The old black cell phones, the 4:3 screen ratio, the way they dressed, the cars they drove, the Lone Gunmen hacking on those huge boxy white computer monitors. To me, the 90s setting had a lot to do with the shows character.

Anyways, here's an interview Anderson did just about a year ago. Definitely a wall survivor.

Skip to the 3:00 mark and watch her get hot for Duchovny.

^^^^

On that, straw poll: anyone think Duchovny and Anderson actually did hook up at some point? There was a rumour floating around a couple years back that supposedly it happened (post series), but given Duchovny's implied notch count due to sex addiction I'd have thought it'd have been difficult for them to get through nine years around each other without something happening. Hell, you watch any of their interviews after the series and it's obvious they still really like each other - maybe a work affair that ended amicably, wonder of wonders?

I once saw an interview with the two of them on stage at the time, and the sexual tension was heavy in the room when Anderson (jokingly...I think...) demanded of Duchovny why she hadn't been given a guest star role on Californication. Duchovny took on a strong alpha frame and told the audience with a smirk "I'd happily do it." Maybe he was playing to the crowd, and maybe not. Can't remember where that interview is now, it's on youtube somewhere.

Loved the show and was bummed the lone gunmen show did not take off. As for wrapping up the arc with a nice bow, that would make little sense at this point. I am used to so many unexplained freak cases, like mulder dives to the bottom of a lake and finds a spaceship at the end of an episode and then it is never discussed again.

First episode tonight! Info here.

Quote:Old Chinese Man Wrote:  
why you wonder how many man another man bang? why you care who bang who mr high school drama man

Thanks 2Wycked! One of my all-time favorite shows and had no idea they were doing new episodes. Watching it!

Looks like you have to wait until tomorrow night if you want to watch it online.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

Never watched the original series but if this new one is any good I'll check it out.