rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

How do you say where you're from (if you're American)

Just curious. I usually say "States" or "U.S." but sometimes they get looks of confusion. I've started using "U.S.A." I tried "America" but it sounds a little weird.

for a while id say Amurica. But now i say U.S.

If I was a USian I'd be tempted to say "Amerikah, FUCK YEAH!"

Can you tell I am bored waiting for the night to start? [Image: smile.gif]

U.S

I usually say Atlanta. Most girls know where that is due to the airport. It also eliminates the second question of "which state".

I've noticed this watching foreign television: most non-Americans call it "America", which is weird, because we don't. I, and everyone else I know, refer to it as "the U.S." or occasionally "the United States", rarely is it "America" and NEVER is it "U.S.A".

America is the name of the continent not your country.

Anyone from Cololmbia, Argentina, Canada or Brazil is also from America.

Quote: (01-01-2011 01:05 AM)Lumiere Wrote:  

[Image: 800px-Not-again-picard.jpg]

I usually say Brooklyn.

One of the textbook definitions of the word "America" is the United States

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/america

SO when u use the word America it can specifically mean USA but could never specifically mean any other country. It is true that anyone from either continent is also american but under a different meaning of the word.

It's because America (USA) does not have a name, like Canadian, etc.

I just say I'm from Los Angeles. Everyone knows where that is.

Quote: (01-01-2011 11:38 AM)playa_with_a_passport Wrote:  

I usually say Brooklyn.

I'm from Bushwick!! Represent motha fucka!!! Damn, I have not said ghetto shit like that in ages.

Mixx

I say Hawaiian.

Aloha!

Quote: (01-01-2011 06:27 AM)Roosh Wrote:  

+1

"South America broke off from the west of the supercontinent Gondwanaland around 135 million years ago (Ma), forming its own continent.[27] Starting around 15 Ma, the collision of the Caribbean Plate and the Pacific Plate resulted in the emergence of a series of volcanoes along the border that created a number of islands. The gaps in the archipelago of Central America filled in with material eroded off North America and South America, plus new land created by continued volcanism. By 3 Ma, the continents of North America and South America were linked by the Isthmus of Panama, thereby forming the single landmass of the Americas."

America (the singular) typically refers to the US of motha fuckin A, has for ages, and shall continue indefinitely, until someone can come up with a better name to refer to us than "USA'ian".

If you want to be more correct, there is North America(n) and South America(n), and that would make more sense. Canadians and Americans [Image: sleepy.gif] (and technically Mexicans) are referred to as North Americans. The two continents of North America and South America are connected to form one land mass called the Americas, but you don't hear Europeans or Asians calling themselves Eurasians even though technically Europe and Asia are one land mass.

If you wanted to be even more uptight about possible misnomers, Mexicans could possibly have a grief about us calling ourselves the United States because Mexico is known as the United States of Mexico within the country. Yet, they don't have a grief because that would be stupid. [Image: catlady.gif]

But to get back on topic I say I'm from California [Image: wink.gif]

I always say I'm from Las Vegas. It 1) Makes for a good story/shock factor/questions. 2) Even if people don't like the US, most people are interested in Las Vegas.

Edit: Damn, I thought I was being origional before I read everyone elses response, but it looks like a lot of people just say their city.

Quote: (01-01-2011 07:52 PM)kerouac Wrote:  

Quote: (01-01-2011 06:27 AM)Roosh Wrote:  

+1

"South America broke off from the west of the supercontinent Gondwanaland around 135 million years ago (Ma), forming its own continent.[27] Starting around 15 Ma, the collision of the Caribbean Plate and the Pacific Plate resulted in the emergence of a series of volcanoes along the border that created a number of islands. The gaps in the archipelago of Central America filled in with material eroded off North America and South America, plus new land created by continued volcanism. By 3 Ma, the continents of North America and South America were linked by the Isthmus of Panama, thereby forming the single landmass of the Americas."

America (the singular) typically refers to the US of motha fuckin A, has for ages, and shall continue indefinitely, until someone can come up with a better name to refer to us than "USA'ian".

If you want to be more correct, there is North America(n) and South America(n), and that would make more sense. Canadians and Americans [Image: sleepy.gif] (and technically Mexicans) are referred to as North Americans. The two continents of North America and South America are connected to form one land mass called the Americas, but you don't hear Europeans or Asians calling themselves Eurasians even though technically Europe and Asia are one land mass.

If you wanted to be even more uptight about possible misnomers, Mexicans could possibly have a grief about us calling ourselves the United States because Mexico is known as the United States of Mexico within the country. Yet, they don't have a grief because that would be stupid. [Image: catlady.gif]

But to get back on topic I say I'm from California [Image: wink.gif]

+2

I've never once heard anyone from Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Canada, or anyone from LATIN America call themselves American. If they did, people would think they are from the US, including other Argentines, Brazilians, etc... However, I hear Americans (What else would you call someone from the US, a US citizens? I think not. Even everyone from what you are considering the Americas calls us "Americanos" or Americans) say they are form America all the time. If anyone ever gets mad at me for calling myself American, I'm gonna give them a mushroom tattoo.

In Latin America they make this big deal because we call ourselves Americans, but if they are going to get pissy about it, why not get mad at Bolivians. Simon Bolivar liberated more countries than Bolivia. What about Colombians? Christopher Colombus landed in many places, why are they taking the name. El Salvador? Doesn't that mean "The Savior?" Sounds pretty arrogant to me.

Quote: (01-01-2011 09:35 PM)InternationPlayboy Wrote:  

+2

I've never once heard anyone from Brazil, Argentina, Colombia, Canada, or anyone from LATIN America call themselves American. If they did, people would think they are from the US, including other Argentines, Brazilians, etc... However, I hear Americans (What else would you call someone from the US, a US citizens? I think not. Even everyone from what you are considering the Americas calls us "Americanos" or Americans) say they are form America all the time. If anyone ever gets mad at me for calling myself American, I'm gonna give them a mushroom tattoo.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/USA-AME...3910144703

Being European, I have no real interest in the debate but I spent enough time in S.America to notice that it pisses some people off down there.

Quote: (01-01-2011 09:35 PM)InternationPlayboy Wrote:  

The wikipedia page you copied and pasted that from would also tell you that the first use of the name America referred to what is now known as South America.

I would be curious to know what percentage of people in the USA are under the impression that the name of their country is America.

Quite a few people had a problem with the word "Americano" in Argentina. So I started saying "Norte Americano". But then I didnt want to be confused with Canadians. So then I started saying "Estado Unidense", which I still say sometimes but it doesn't really roll off the tongue. Eventually I would just say "Washington", except if I'm in the disco because then I'm from "Hollywood."

Quote: (01-02-2011 12:50 AM)Lumiere Wrote:  

Being European, I have no real interest in the debate but I spent enough time in S.America to notice that it pisses some people off down there.

I'm sure being British you are also concerned that the people of Argentina consider the Falkland Islands to be theirs and, in other words, consider it to be called the Malvinas.

I'm sure your interest in their considerations isn't influenced by your own predispositions.

"California"

Quote: (01-02-2011 03:51 AM)kerouac Wrote:  

I'm sure being British you are also concerned that the people of Argentina consider the Falkland Islands to be theirs and, in other words, consider it to be called the Malvinas.

I have a few Argentinian girlfriends. They don't seem to bothered about it or the fact that I am British.

I actually experienced no hostility at all from Argentinian people when I lived there for being British which suprised me a little. They blame the whole thing on General Galtieri who is widely detested in Argentina.

If you understand the history of the Guerra Sucia (Dirty War) and the desaparecidos in Argentina from 76 until 83 (which was only ended by the military goverment's humiliation over the Falklands) then its perhaps easier to understand.

Anyway, all of this is wildly off topic so lets get back to the topic.

Gringoed's comments were interesting. I think a negative reaction in Argentina to the word Americano is proably a sign of Argies inferioriority complex and the lack of their own national identity more than anything else.

Quote: (01-02-2011 03:31 AM)gringoed Wrote:  

except if I'm in the disco because then I'm from "Hollywood."

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice !

[Image: banana.gif]

Quote: (01-01-2011 05:45 PM)MiXX Wrote:  

Quote: (01-01-2011 11:38 AM)playa_with_a_passport Wrote:  

I usually say Brooklyn.

I'm from Bushwick!! Represent motha fucka!!! Damn, I have not said ghetto shit like that in ages.

Mixx

LOL, you must mean "East Williamsburg." I went on a date with this White chick from N.C. a few years ago and when I asked her where in Brooklyn she lived she tells me, "East Williamsburg." Puzzled I ask her for the intersection and she tells me "Central ave and Myrtle Ave." I am like "that's fucking Bushwick." Bushwick used to have this club named "Boriquen" ("Casa Quisqueya" back in the 90's) that the hottest Dominican girls from the Tri-State Area(NY,NJ, CT) used to go there to dance, now those were the days.

Back to the topic, saying that you are American just invites idle chatter because the next question is always which city. And if you say NY then comes the 9/11 questions.