rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

On the topic of pocket squares.

I would love to wear pocket squares, but I don't know how to match them to my suit, shirt, and tie.

For instance, let's say I'm wearing this [attachment=10151]

What color or design looks good with that?

I was curious if someone could take the time to write a basic to intermediate post to help guys like me who are new to the suit game. Maybe there is a blog out there that is RVF Certified that has already covered this topic. If that is the case could you post it here?

White would be cool.

But I don't worry about "matching" pocket squares.

To me it looks too studied.

Just do what looks and feels good.

By wearing a pocket square alone puts you in the top .0000000001% of cats out there anyways.

I did a post on the subject a while back: How To Wear A Pocket Square

Keep in mind that you match the pocket square to the shirt, not the tie. Matching the pocket square and the tie makes you look like a used car salesman.

[Image: tumblr_lddhp5RZ6B1qa2j8co1_500.jpg]

Go with white and you will not go wrong.

EDIT:
Check out this book, every guy should own a copy.

Dressing the Man

Quote: (02-22-2013 01:27 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

White would be cool.

But I don't worry about "matching" pocket squares.

To me it looks too studied.

Just do what looks and feels good.

By wearing a pocket square alone puts you in the top .0000000001% of cats out there anyways.

I did a post on the subject a while back: How To Wear A Pocket Square

GBH listen to what G is saying, Just Stick a Pocket Square in and get out there, It will separate you from the masses. Tested again and again by myself, Same Suit or Sports Coat with and without , Night and Day responses.

With your outfit, White or Red either will be fine, I personally will go with a Flashy Red.....

"You can not fake good kids" - Mike Pence

I'd go with yellow or white with that.

Quote: (02-25-2013 11:29 AM)n0000 Wrote:  

Keep in mind that you match the pocket square to the shirt, not the tie. Matching the pocket square and the tie makes you look like a used car salesman.

EDIT:

Dressing the Man

I don't know. I think it looks pretty dope when the tie and pocket square are made form the same material.
They sell sets you can buy in the store and on ebay.

I'm not a tie kinda guy personally. For me matching the square to the shirt makes sense. If you're a custom shirt guy you can ask the tailor to make you a square with the left over shirt fabric of you want to match.

If you search Ebay for "pocket square lot" you can buy a set in every color. Go for the silk ones.
[Image: 3580zud.jpg]

Team Nachos

Quote: (02-25-2013 01:55 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

Quote: (02-25-2013 11:29 AM)n0000 Wrote:  

EDIT:

Dressing the Man

I don't know. I think it looks pretty dope when the tie and pocket square are made form the same material.
They sell sets you can buy in the store and on ebay.

I'm not a tie kinda guy personally. For me matching the square to the shirt makes sense. If you're a custom shirt guy you can ask the tailor to make you a square with the left over shirt fabric of you want to match.

If you search Ebay for "pocket square lot" you can buy a set in every color. Go for the silk ones.
[Image: 3580zud.jpg]

The tie and square matching combo looks too "studied" in my opinion.

But what do I know?

Shirt and square is good, but I don't even think you have to do that.

I like non-matching.

1. It looks like you are on some next level sh*t

2. It looks casual, like you are having fun, and are not wearing a Suit because you have to, it's because you want to. This is key in my opinion and is The Way of The Playboy.

But again, do what makes you feel good.

Just wearing a square will put you in the Top Tier automatically.

Not bad for what can be a $5 investment. Where else are you going to get that return?

Again, who said The G Manifesto doesn't bring The Budget Game tips?

Quote: (02-25-2013 02:04 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

But what do I know?

I like non-matching.

2. It looks casual, like you are having fun, and are not wearing a Suit because you have to, it's because you want to. This is key in my opinion and is The Way of The Playboy.

Not bad for what can be a $5 investment. Where else are you going to get that return?

I see what you're saying G. Would you say that for a non-tie guy a colorful pocket square would be the replacement for the tie?

Usually when you wear a tie you would wear it with a solid color shirt so that the tie stands out.

Team Nachos

I saw some crazy shit last night at the W-hollywood. I think it was an after-party for the oscars. Lots of fly looking girls walking around and lots of dudes rocking suits, ties, squares, bowties, etc....

G-manifesto woulda had a field-day. I saw some characters out.

One Asian dude white suit, black skinny tie, gold with black polka dots pockets square. We exchanged nods- "Game recognizes game"

Some arab looking dude in a navy suit rocking a tri-color square (white with criss cross green and yellow). He had light green eyes. Shit really popped.

A giant black dude in a blood red-suit and black tie. Yellow pocket square.

WIA- For most of men, our time being masters of our own fate, kings in our own castles is short. Even those of us in the game will eventually succumb to ease of servitude rather than deal with the malaise of solitude

I threw in a pocket square.

Looks good.

[Image: attachment.jpg10186]   

Quote: (02-25-2013 02:16 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

Quote: (02-25-2013 02:04 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

But what do I know?

I like non-matching.

I see what you're saying G. Would you say that for a non-tie guy a colorful pocket square would be the replacement for the tie?

Usually when you wear a tie you would wear it with a solid color shirt so that the tie stands out.

Absolutely.

I have been saying that for years.

Yes, I wear solid shirts.

Quote: (02-25-2013 04:59 PM)DVY Wrote:  

I saw some crazy shit last night at the W-hollywood. I think it was an after-party for the oscars. Lots of fly looking girls walking around and lots of dudes rocking suits, ties, squares, bowties, etc....

G-manifesto woulda had a field-day. I saw some characters out.

One Asian dude white suit, black skinny tie, gold with black polka dots pockets square. We exchanged nods- "Game recognizes game"

Some arab looking dude in a navy suit rocking a tri-color square (white with criss cross green and yellow). He had light green eyes. Shit really popped.

A giant black dude in a blood red-suit and black tie. Yellow pocket square.

That is my Turf: Super High-End Game.

Quote: (02-25-2013 05:20 PM)GBG Wrote:  

I threw in a pocket square.

Looks good.

Looks great. You have shirts with french cuffs as well?

For me, the ideal pocket square does not exactly match the tie or the shirt and doesn't clash with anything else you're wearing.

Like G said, a pocket square without a tie looks good. If you're not going to wear a tie, you better wear a pocket square.

Have a diverse collection of both solid and patterned pocket squares. Learn how to wear it in a shape other than square.

I've got the dick so I make the rules.
-Project Pat

I love pocket squares so much that I learned how to sew so I could design my own.

I probably have about 100 different squares now that I know no one else has.

I wouldn't say don't worry about matching, I mean generally mine goes along with the rest of my outfit, but I don't say "ok I have a blue tie on, so I need a blue pocket square" because that looks stupid.

If you want to show you have some style do the shit like no one else does it, and sometimes just throw it in your pocket. It's good to know all the different folds and what not, but sometimes it just looks hotter when you grab it from the middle and stick it in there.

Quote: (02-26-2013 12:58 PM)jariel Wrote:  

I love pocket squares so much that I learned how to sew so I could design my own.

I probably have about 100 different squares now that I know no one else has.

I wouldn't say don't worry about matching, I mean generally mine goes along with the rest of my outfit, but I don't say "ok I have a blue tie on, so I need a blue pocket square" because that looks stupid.

If you want to show you have some style do the shit like no one else does it, and sometimes just throw it in your pocket. It's good to know all the different folds and what not, but sometimes it just looks hotter when you grab it from the middle and stick it in there.

[Image: 2886084-medium_tony_montana2.jpg]

I never wear a suit, sport coat, or blazer without a pocket square.

My #1 rule of pocket squares- handrolled only

I know a bunch of folding techniques-sometimes I use one of them,sometimes I just stuff it in and mess around with it until i get a look I like

You'll probably end up with mostly silk ones, but get some linen and cotton ones too so you can play around with textures.

Color- If I'm wearing a tie-mostly not here in Florida, i like my square to pick up on one of the colors in the tie, either by using the same color or a contrasting color.But watch out for proportions; if you're wearing a mostly gold tie for example don't wear a mostly gold square. Use a minor color in the tie as a major color in the square or the reverse. More advanced is playing off a color in the tie or the shirt with a complementary color in the square.

Patterns- When you start get a lot of solids. These can be paired with a solid or patterned ties. Patterned squares are easy to pair with solid ties. Combining patterned squares with patterned ties and/or patterned shirts is next level stuff-you have to experiment and develop an eye for this. If you fail you'll look like a rube used car salesman, if you succeed you'll look like you walked out of a GQ shoot and girls will be approaching you. It's a fine line and take practice and taste.

I think next time I suit up my pocket square is going to look like this

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaGxzcKY0FEWkl9fkZz2F...8Pqmz6eR7I]

"If anything's gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there!- Captain Ron

Quote: (02-26-2013 03:23 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Careful though, putting the shirt collar over the suit jacket can quickly make you look like you're going to a 70s costume party.

Quote: (02-26-2013 04:03 PM)MrXY Wrote:  

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSaGxzcKY0FEWkl9fkZz2F...8Pqmz6eR7I]

Same thing as above. It works if you're a mafia boss. It works if you're Bill Murray. But unless you're a recognised movie star or have fuck-you money and the rest of that look down you should stick with the classics. When people start experimenting with the gold standards it's almost always due to some insecurity over the classic look.

The guys who where a fedora with a vest with a fedora makes my eyes sting.

[Image: fedora3.jpg]

But I digress...

Quote: (02-26-2013 04:03 PM)MrXY Wrote:  

Patterns- When you start get a lot of solids. These can be paired with a solid or patterned ties. Patterned squares are easy to pair with solid ties. Combining patterned squares with patterned ties and/or patterned shirts is next level stuff-you have to experiment and develop an eye for this. If you fail you'll look like a rube used car salesman, if you succeed you'll look like you walked out of a GQ shoot and girls will be approaching you. It's a fine line and take practice and taste.

Great post.

This is the exact reason why I wear solid shirts and use solid squares.

I can't figure out the geometry of the matching, although you gave some real good tips on having squares pick up colors of ties.

One of The Deep Dark Secrets of me dressing dope in Suits is because it is easy.

Suit - Solid Shirt - Solid Square = no thought necessary.

Throw it on and I am ready for anything.

Quote: (02-26-2013 04:06 PM)Vicious Wrote:  

Quote: (02-26-2013 03:23 PM)thegmanifesto Wrote:  

Careful though, putting the shirt collar over the suit jacket can quickly make you look like you're going to a 70s costume party.

Your right, although it is really more 77-83 style.

[Image: 6609160_orig.jpg]

There was a period in the later 90's where this style came back (think Big Pun, NORE, Usual Suspects etc)

[Image: afenster.jpg]

(I am busting out the obscure references now boys. What up? I am a Scholar of The Dressing Dope Game Sh*t).

It can be a dope "partied-out" look, but is not for beginners.

Also, better if you are ethnic.

I used to do it when I was younger, but now its almost "too much". And I don't need to attract that much attention.

Don't be surprised if girls ask you for Coke, if you rock this style.

I think I'll just stuff a pair of silk panties in my jacket pocket and see if anyone notices [Image: lol.gif]

Team Nachos

Quote: (02-26-2013 04:14 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

I think I'll just stuff a pair of silk panties in my jacket pocket and see if anyone notices [Image: lol.gif]

[Image: tumblr_inline_mhh1gzdyoX1qz4rgp.gif]

Quote: (02-26-2013 04:14 PM)Parlay44 Wrote:  

[Image: 38.jpg]

About as colorful as I will get in a single outfit

I've got the dick so I make the rules.
-Project Pat

I haven't thought about pocket squares, but for $5, sounds like an obvious good move to make.

Quote: (02-28-2013 07:13 PM)JofSuperman Wrote:  

I haven't thought about pocket squares, but for $5, sounds like an obvious good move to make.

If you only gonna spend 5 bucks, I say spend nothing. (I usually spend 20-30, ballers spend 70 for plain white linen, 180 for silk)

Dish towels, rags, old dress shirts, t-shirts, in most cases you're only showing a sliver of color with the Presidential/TV fold. If you got silk lying around, puff it, and bounce.

WIA

Quote: (02-28-2013 07:32 PM)WestIndianArchie Wrote:  

Quote: (02-28-2013 07:13 PM)JofSuperman Wrote:  

If you only gonna spend 5 bucks, I say spend nothing. (I usually spend 20-30, ballers spend 70 for plain white linen, 180 for silk)

Dish towels, rags, old dress shirts, t-shirts, in most cases you're only showing a sliver of color with the Presidential/TV fold. If you got silk lying around, puff it, and bounce.

WIA

Not literally, I just meant as in a low price compared to other stuff.