rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Houston, Dallas, or San Antonio???

Going on a trip to Texas in March with a couple guys, and looking for some advice on where to go. I can fly into any of those 3 cities from New York, and eventually I am going to drive down to South Padre.

Anyone from Texas?

Thanks.

How long will you be in Texas? I imagine Houston for proximity drive wise to South Padre would be your best choice. I'm from the Dallas area and could provide some insight if you want to come here though.

Fill me in.

Depends what you looking for.

Dallas - more white collar yuppie, but cool. tons of shit to do
Ft.Worth - Old money

Houston - Old money a bit more ghetto, but a ton of shit to do

Austin - is a bohemian, hippy, huge college town, tech kinda place, very laid back. Party on 6th street is like mini bourbon from new orleans.

Cant go wrong with any of them people in Texas are very cool, all 2-3 hrs apart. Had more "the hangover" good times in austin and dallas.

San Antonio - Military town - dont bother.

Also interested in Dallas for the Lights All Night music festival NYE this year.

Thanks for the quick advice guys. I think I am going to be there St Patrick's day weekend, is that Greenville St Party any good in Dallas?

Is San Antonio really that bad? Somebody at work told me there are some good bars down by the river. A flight into Dallas is really cheap, so if you guy's recommend Dallas I will definately check that out...

Captain P

Quote: (11-26-2012 07:48 PM)TheCaptainPower Wrote:  

Thanks for the quick advice guys. I think I am going to be there St Patrick's day weekend, is that Greenville St Party any good in Dallas?

Is San Antonio really that bad? Somebody at work told me there are some good bars down by the river. A flight into Dallas is really cheap, so if you guy's recommend Dallas I will definately check that out...

Captain P

The Parade is fun. Very crowded as cell phone reception will die. Not necessarily great for meeting new ppl, but it's fun with a big/small group of friends. Your best bet would be to show up at bars on Henderson street or McKinney Uptown area still donning the green you had on all day as that'll be your excuse to strike a conversation with chicks about how they're experience was, etc.

Big D hands down especially if flights are cheap. Flights to D have increased a lot over the past few years. Austin is solid, but not one of your options.

I used to live around Greenville street. That parade is a good time with murderous traffic. There are many many bars/restaurants along that street alone (PM me for specifics). Uptown and downtown have good spots. You can't go wrong with Dallas because you have young working women and college girls. If I could I'd move back to Texas in a heartbeat.

Actually...a good choice would be to arrive in Dallas one day in advance for some Friday night barhopping before the parade. A good place to strike a conversation with a cool crowd would be The Loon in Uptown are off Lemmon/Mckinney. Talk about the parade with a ton of peeps (esp chicks), make arrangements with peeps, and then you'll get to meet people you click well with during or after the parade for parties, etc.

Sat after partying at the parade, it might be wise to take a quick nap, meet up with some folks you may have met, or if you decide to do your own thing..a great place for gaming would be the Gin Mill off Henderson street, which is a newer venue in Dallas. Perhaps a good alternative would be Cretia's/Corner Bar off Knox street. Lemme know if you need any advice on Dallas if you decide to come during that time...funny enough...will be in Houston for a friend's wedding during St. Patty's Day Parade.

FYI as someone said..avoid San Antonio at all costs. Overweight Hispanic chicks galore that don't speak any Spanish and lack any sorta flavor. People will say "you gotta eat Mexican food in San Anton," but eff that. You can get good Mexican food all over Tx being Dallas/Ft. Worth Area, Austin, or Houston.

Dallas is cool. The parade is great. Start your day early by drinking with friends at 8 am and let the day unfold.

Stay away from Greenwich Village.

redacted

Thanks,

It looks like I will fly into Dallas, it is my FAR the least expensive ticket and goes direct from JFK.

Everybody seems to hate San Antonio so I might skip it.

Captain P