rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The Part of Expatriation We Don't Discuss

The Part of Expatriation We Don't Discuss

This forum is filled with men living their dreams. I've met many of them, and I'd like to think that as I'm pushing into that echelon. Sometimes, and more commonly on the RVF that includes expatriating from your country of birth. Some of us do it for the money, some for the dissatisfaction of their lives at home, others for the pure adventure - no different than any other adventurous man who has walked the earth. One thing that is in the fabric of every man is the itch to explore - to see the unknown, to conquer the unexpected.

But.

It's hard.

It's hard to give up your easy, simple life in search of the unknown. I was offered a really fascinating position to work abroad. The money, experience, and opportunity were all what I was looking for. I jumped at it.

As my days waned here in New York, I began to realize the complexity of my decision. To say goodbye to your family, your friends, the things you've worked so hard to set up with your own blood, sweat and tears. I began to realize it was more difficult than putting on my 'fearless face' and saying I'll be back soon.

The truth is, I have a golden life here in New York, no doubt about it. To give it up means to say goodbye to your mother and father, a best friend you've known your entire life, the beautiful girlfriends that have come and gone, the familiarity and comfort of everyday life.

It was hard - harder than I imagined, but I've done it. I'm going to live in a completely new place, create a new network of friends, grab a bunch of money and push myself to do things I didn't think I could do, but all I can think about right now is what I gave up to make this decision.

I'm curious from those who have done something like this what your feelings were and how you dealt with them. I'm not feeling down or depressed, because I know I'm going to kick the shit out of life no matter where I go or what I do, but I'm curious as to your feelings when packing life away in search of something new.

We spend great amounts of time discussing the conquests and adventures abroad, but let's be real for a minute. We're only human and it's hard to detach from people you've become so closely attached to.

Messages In This Thread