rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Resistant Starch: The Latest Dietary "Red Pill?"

Resistant Starch: The Latest Dietary "Red Pill?"

My entire blogging "career" has been a quest for truth in a wide variety of topics in all the primary areas of life as a human being on this planet.

One of the most passionate and controversial topics is, as we all know, about diet and nutrition.

In the beginning, before I turned to teh Interwebz in the quest for self-improvement, I followed the conventional mainstream semi-vegetarian, low fat, high grain, "food pyramid" styled diet, and got fatter and sicker over the course of my entire 20's.

Then I discovered "low carb," then the Weston Price Foundation and finally "paleo."

I've tried a lot of the different things, adopted and incorporated some things, discarded others and have continuously evolved my approach to diet and nutrition every step of the way.

I've reached a stage where I thought I've found the perfect balance of cooking and eating nutrient dense foods and avoiding modern, processed junk FEED, to fuel my active lifestyle (manual labor work, regular martial arts training) as I get older (turned 40 this past year).

But every now and then, I always come across an idea that looks to be a paradigm shift. A real game changer, and I give it a try and see if it works for my situation.

Boiling bones to make soups, stocks and reductions for cooking, cooking with coconut oil with cast iron cookware was another paradigm shift. Then I discovered juicing via RVF (Thanks Mike!!!). After several years of eating fresh, organic, natural foods, plenty of fermented dairy and veggies, and lots of good fats like grass-fed dairy and meat, coconut oil, macadamia nut oil, fresh fish, free range eggs, and a variety of fruits, and now juicing veggies I used to never eat (like kale and beets) has got my digestion, health and energy levels the best they've been my entire life.

I've been comfortable, healthy and enjoying life now for awhile, and have actually stopped regularly reading up the various health/nutrition/paleo blogs I used to read on a daily basis.

Lately I've been noticing Richard Nikolay over at Free the Animal (one of the OG early adopters of "paleo" in the heyday of the paleo-sphere's emergence) posting a lot about "Resistant Starch" in my blog feed headlines, but I never bothered to click over and see what it was all about. I'd started to assume I've got this whole diet and nutrition thing all figured out.

I should have known better. [Image: undecided.gif]

There is always something new to learn, and guys like Richard are relentless in his quest to find ways to improve on health and well being. So I finally clicked over today to see what this constant headlines about "Resistant Starch" were all about.

http://freetheanimal.com/2013/12/resista...wbies.html

Quote:Quote:

The benefits most commonly touted are: lowered fasting BG, BG blunting, better sleep, increased energy, well being and calm, mental clarity, vivid dreams, curing of chronic constipation and infrequency, soft stools, satiation with gentle hunger, and increased body temperature (I think I got them all...let me know if I missed any).

The problems most commonly reported are: flatulence and headache. Most have reported having flatulence, but for most it diminishes over time. It seems most prominent when taken with food and least when taken in water on an empty stomach. Taken with beans can be a hilarious experience if you're up for it. For some, going periods of 2-3 days now & then without supplementing seems to help get beyond it. Headaches have only been reported by a handful of people. One or two reported intestinal distress, but I chalk that up to oversensitivity to flatulence.

Most of the studies use 30g of potato starch, which is 4 tablespoons. Above 60g will probably pass on through. Many have begun with 1TBS per day, and increased up to 4 each week. However, dose, frequency, how it's administered (with food, kefir, yogurt—cool or warm—or just water by itself) is something each person has to experiment and figure out for themselves.

All I can say is wow. This may be yet another game changer. I've spent the past few hours reading all 45+ posts of his on the topic, as well as a large number of the PubMed articles linked in support of the idea that Resistant Starch is THE key to feeding the good bacteria in your gut, and all sorts of health benefits can be realized if you add enough resistant starch into your daily intake over time.

Apparently Resistant Starch does not get digested in your stomach, but passes through to your big intestine, where the beneficial gut bacteria consumes it, and in the process produces a lot of Short Chain Fatty Acids that are vital for your bodies various processes. Over time, the good bacterias thrive off of the regular feeding of Resistant Starches, while the "Bad" bacteria gets crowded out.

Richard's got me convinced...I'm gonna go to the store tomorrow and buy me some Potato Starch and give this a try.

A lot of people like to denigrate things like this as "fads" and "gimmicks."

But I don't see what's the harm in giving this a try, and see if I can improve even more on my current state of health and nutritional consumption...and you don't even have to do anything other than drink about 4 Tbsp a day of potato starch. The stuff is cheap, it sounds very easy, and I don't see the harm in giving it a good try out. Hell, I may even just stir it into some fresh kale/beets/carrots/ginger/lime juice and just combine the two "bio-hacks" in a single drink! According to everything I've read over at Richard's blog, the worst that can happen is some excessive farting for the first week or so as your gut bacteria composition changes.

I'll post my results here as I experience them. Anyone else interested in giving this a try? If so, please, post your experiences about it here.

Messages In This Thread