rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

The theoretical US vs Nazi Germany vs Soviet forces WWII thread.

The theoretical US vs Nazi Germany vs Soviet forces WWII thread.

Quote: (04-30-2013 11:00 AM)Gemini Wrote:  

All true, but without US military might stationed across Western Europe post WWII, there would be no one deterring the Soviets from pushing West once they reached Berlin. Europe needed both the Marshall Plan (to recover) and US military presence for security so that the plan was actually allowed to be implemented. Just look at Afghanistan now. There is no point implementing economic development, if the country is not truly safe/secure.

You're missing the point. This is not something the US did out of magnanimity. It was entirely in their own interest. Which is why I frown at the "US saved your asses" spiel that some with shallow historical insight throw out, because it betrays ignorance of the true motivations that the US had at the time.

With that said it doesn't mean many nations in central Europe shouldn't be grateful for the US aid at the time. Grateful to the generation that fought and worked to keep the nazis and later communists at bay. Not grateful to some internet tough guy who is doing his best to dodge taxes and never served a day in the armed forces (same reason I let Ali be smug on the subject, he has earned it).

Slightly related, great joke I heard at a NYC comedy club recently about today's American generation:
"Grandma, how come you're so hopeless with modern stuff?"
"Sweetie, I used to fuck a guy that killed nazis... I'm pretty sure my vagina changed history."

Messages In This Thread