rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Resistant Starch: The Latest Dietary "Red Pill?"

Resistant Starch: The Latest Dietary "Red Pill?"

OP: Thanks for starting this thread. I am curious about this resistance starch topic, as well, and recently I had been thinking about the topic too at least that it makes sense that likely we need to maintain some carbohydrytes in our diets to feed our good bacteria – and a question comes from how we may balance such good effects and which foods will allow for the feeding of the good bacteria but NOT causing us to have some of the negative effects of too many carbohydrates in our diet – blood sugar spikes and inflammation and other negative modern day complications that come from too many carbohydrates.
Some of my dietary practice background is similar to yours, although I claim to really only have been progressing towards low carb lifestyle since about mid-to late 2011, and since that time, increasingly eliminating carbohydrates and increasingly adding more and more fats into my weekly routine, such as coconut oil, cod liver oil, bacon and eggs, and red meat with fat (though, so far, I do NOT believe in paying premium prices for grass fed meat).

I think that I understand that the resistance starch theory is that the resistant starches pass more readily through our system without raising our blood sugar levels, but feed the good bacteria that are needed in our gut.

In recent years, I have been inclined towards attempting to get my nutrients from whole foods rather than supplements and rather than eating any processed products. When I read through the resistant starch articles, they really seem to be promoting potato starch rather than other kinds of resistant starch. The list of whole foods with resistant starch contained therein show quantities of resistance starch that are quite small – meaning that a guy would have to eat a whole hell of a lot of carbohydrates from those whole foods in order to get the RS benefits. In that regard, in my view, the negative effects from the quantity of carbohydrates would offset the benefits from the small amount of RS contained therein.
In that regard, it seems like the potato starch is the main solution that is being proposed, under this theory, and I have my doubts about having to take a processed food rather than a whole food… but for the sake of science, I may be willing to attempt it...
I am curious about the effects, and whether it does anything? I am thinking that I may need to go to the store and buy some of the potato starch to see if anything happens to ingest about 4 tablespoons or 30 grams a day. I could put it in a drink, I suppose – or make some kind of snack or soup or gravy…

Actually, regarding the discussion of farting as a side effect, I haven’t had farting problems for years, after I cut back on my carbohydrates. These days it is rare that I have gas, unlike in my prior carb days. I am NOT sure what to think about the stinky versus non-stinky fart theories that were espoused, but it does seem that farting is more abundant when eating carbohydrates – and I suppose the potato starch has a similar effect.

Quote: (12-24-2013 10:30 AM)roberto Wrote:  

Quote: (12-23-2013 02:16 PM)PUA_Rachacha Wrote:  

Quote: (12-23-2013 02:04 PM)roberto Wrote:  

Interesting stuff. Is there enough carbs in it to interfere with keto?

I love re-fried brown rice. If this is now good for me rather than ready to knock me out of ketosis, count me in.

Resistant starch passes right through the small intestine and is ingested by gut flora in the large intestine, hence the word "resistant". None of the starch actually enters your bloodstream as glucose.

The author over at Free the Animal has kept stressing this point as people from a very-low-carb website attacked him about RS knocking you out of ketosis.

Give it a shot. Do you have those ketosis strips/sticks? Put the re-fried brown rice in the fridge overnight and eat it the next day cold. Some of the starch will have retrograded to RS. See if eating it knocks you out of ketosis.

Apparently Uncle Ben's rice, which is parboiled, has the most RS for any rice brand.

According to the spreadsheet from freetheanimal, cooked and cooled polished rice has 3.44 grams of RS per 100g. So you'd need to eat almost a kilo to get 30g of RS. That's a) not possible for me! and b) will knock you out lof ketosis for sure, regardless of whether some of it is now RS! Or am I missing something?

Roberto, my reading of of this resistance starch matter is that you are going to get knocked out of Ketosis by attempting to get RS from any whole foods, but if you take the potato starch directly (or by making it with some kind of food or drink), then you can eat as much as you want up to 8 tablespoons a day the body will metabolize and it will NOT affect your blood sugar, and in essence, it will help to put a guy in ketosis if he is having troubles getting into ketosis, for whatever reason.

Accordingly, if you value ketosis, then potato starch seems to be the best way to accomplish and maintain such ketosis.

Messages In This Thread