rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Flaking data

Flaking data

I really do think this phenomenon can be traced squarely back to the cell phone. In the "old days," human interactions meant more, because they were based off real life, which is harder and requires more effort than firing off a 'like' or a compliment on Facebook. If a girl liked you enough to give you her digits and agree to a date, she would usually follow through unless some direct alternative came up that she would absolutely prefer. (ex: I'm supposed to be meeting this guy for a date, but my friend just offered me a spare ticket for my favorite band's concert, which is a once-in-a-lifetime thing so I really want to go.)

Furthermore, limits in communication meant that dates once made could not be too easily cancelled, because cell phones and text messages are a relatively new phenomenon, and even after they began to be adopted, it took several years for this to be really widespread, and several more for social habits to shift to accommodate the new technology. In other words, in 1998, if a girl had a date with a guy, the only way to cancel was to call him, which requires a lot more effort and social pressure than firing off a canned and impersonal text message. Even if she called there was no guarantee she'd be able to reach him, and he might not even have an answering machine. Flaking was hard work, and requiring so much effort, it was easiest to just go with the flow and stick to already-arranged plans. In 2005 she might be able to text but still feel the need to call, but by 2013, flaking is an ingrained and effortless habit, facilitated by the fact that everyone over the age of 12 in our society now carries a cellphone, and probably one with an unlimited-texting plan.

The smartphone just exacerbates this, by wiring girls into a virtual social world 24/7. Because communication is so instantaneous, plans can be made and unmade effortlessly, and because of Facebook, plans practically suggest themselves. Furthermore, real time status updates encourage girls to live in the moment. Her mood can be killed in an instant if her best friend's puppy gets run over, and something she would have heard about on Monday morning in the old days, she learns at 8:44pm on Saturday instead. Before, a guy had to be more interesting than other guys, to hold a girl's attention and get her out. Now, he has to be more interesting than her whole social life, and those social lives are now able to be bigger than ever. It's a tall order.

Bottom line: I don't think flaking is a man's fault, and obviously some girls are more prone to it than others, but there isn't much that can be done about it. The best way to minimize it is to find girls who are more likely to be really into you so that if it comes down to you or another guy/their friends, they're more likely to choose you.

Messages In This Thread