rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Basque Region of Spain and France

Last time I was there was in 1998. I ended up busted up my foot surfing outside of Biarritz. I had reef imbedded in my heel and could not hoof it around. Had it taken out but my mobility was seriously impeded.

An ex contacted me and is living in San Sebastion with her boyfriend. She invited me down and if I recall her boyfriend is a mad cool Basque cat. It would be cool to hook up with them for a night or two but I am thinking of a week or two in the area.

Any more recent intel on the region would be cool.

Quote: (01-24-2012 12:08 PM)Laner Wrote:  

Last time I was there was in 1998. I ended up busted up my foot surfing outside of Biarritz. I had reef imbedded in my heel and could not hoof it around. Had it taken out but my mobility was seriously impeded.

An ex contacted me and is living in San Sebastion with her boyfriend. She invited me down and if I recall her boyfriend is a mad cool Basque cat. It would be cool to hook up with them for a night or two but I am thinking of a week or two in the area.

Any more recent intel on the region would be cool.

I was there last summer.

Go in summer.

How to Pick up Topless Girls at The Beach

http://www.thegmanifesto.com/2011/09/how...beach.html

I spent most of my time in neighboring Cantabria. (On the north coast at least. Other time spent in Alicante and neighboring villages).

Place is dope, unfortunately, I had a ton of Data Sheets on Cantabria written on a piece of paper that I lost, which is the reason I never wrote a full Data Sheet.

I do have a bunch of photos of venues, but I haven't had the time to pull them off and write anything up.

I did give a Cantabrian beach my "Best Beach" award for 2011: http://www.thegmanifesto.com/2012/01/the...-2011.html And I did write up some sheets on The Manifesto after my trip.

I also went to Bilbao in Pais Vasco for a couple of days.

I didn't really dig the place that much to be honest. It is beautiful and the Guggenheim is sick, but I wasn't fully feeling the place. Great food though.

All in all, you should go.

That part of the world is alight with energy in Summer.

Quote:Quote:

I ended up busted up my foot surfing outside of Biarritz. I had reef imbedded in my heel and could not hoof it around.

Where were you surfing?

There are some rocks there, but not really too much heavy "reef".

Cabreton has those old war bunkers in the water, with debris. Was it there?

Kind of surprised you got injured from that. Unlucky.

Where were you surfing?

In Biarritz, lookers left from the punto where that cheateu is.

So was I. I was off my board getting ready to paddle back out when my foot "tagged" something. It looked like all beach break so I was not thinking to keep my body shallow and close to the surface.

I had only just started to learn surfing and I took an unlucky break.

You are right, the region is cool.

I will have to look into Calabria a bit more. If something comes to mind throw it on here.

You also mentioned Alicante. They have daily flights from Malmo there, and the prices are mad cheap.

Worth it?

Quote: (01-24-2012 06:56 PM)Laner Wrote:  

Where were you surfing?

In Biarritz, lookers left from the punto where that cheateu is.

So was I. I was off my board getting ready to paddle back out when my foot "tagged" something. It looked like all beach break so I was not thinking to keep my body shallow and close to the surface.

I had only just started to learn surfing and I took an unlucky break.

You are right, the region is cool.

I will have to look into Calabria a bit more. If something comes to mind throw it on here.

You also mentioned Alicante. They have daily flights from Malmo there, and the prices are mad cheap.

Worth it?

Love Alicante.

Go in Summer.

June and July, the temp was pinned between 80-83 degrees, not a cloud in the sky for two months straight.

Better weather than san diego.

[Image: Alicante.jpg]

Laner,
Biarritz was my playground growing up as I grew up 1 hour by car from there. Every summer, I would spend 1-2 months there. It's an amazing place. 1-2 weeks won't be enough man. THere are many nice beaches in the area, and the area gets hopping specially during the summers where it gets literally invaded by all the northern europeans (german, dutch, scandinivians, belgian, but also brits not to mention the rich spaniards and portuguese). Plus, if you can, in August, they have a huge festival there, in nearby Bayonne, called les fêtes de Bayonne, which is a huge corrida festival, with lots of hard core corridas aficionados coming from all over the world, and that of course, attracts mad chick talent from all over southern France (IMO, the best French girls), Spain, Portugual, Italy and northern Euro girls too. I remember growing up spending my summers there and during those festivals, it was so packed that people were sleeping on the benches in parks, or even on the lawns all arond town. It was a mad party for a whole week. Unfortunately, I haven't been in years but if it's anything like even half as fun as it was in my time, then it'll be mad fun.

Other great litle cities in the areas that are little gems for both the beach and party vibe: Anglet (small town near Biarritz), St-Jean-de-Luz, another very scenic town, reminds one in some degree of Monaco, with its steep slopes and hills. You can be on the beach one moment and the next moment, 3-400 metres above sea level and have a mesmerizing view of the ocean/port.

During the summer, that area (Biarritz, Anglet, Bayonne aka BAB) but also St-Jean-de-Luz is packed with tourists and is among the best places in the entire European continent to be and one of my fav in the world. So much that this is where I intend on "settling" down when I do decide to have kids and do it back where I grew up. The food is to die for, the vibe is very chill, almost like a Marcel Pagnol or Paul Gauguin novel, think 19th century, where everyone knows everyone and when you go to the local bureau tabac aka convenient store or boulangerie or local restaurant, everyone knows you on a first name basis and greets you as family. So as i was saying, during the summer, there are lots of festivals, specially on Basque culture, like pelote basque, palla, (just google it, no english word for it), corridas and lots of rugby (and since alpha and alphaesque things are popular in here, probably THE ultimate alpha sport along with corrida) which is the national sport in the south west of France. Go there in the summer and you'll have the time of your life.

Side note: after writing this post, the gates of memories flashbacked in my mind from the time I was growing up there, so much that this is where I'll be going this summer!

How's the water temp?

A year from now you'll wish you started today

Quote: (01-24-2012 11:00 PM)Vacancier Permanent Wrote:  

Laner,
Biarritz was my playground growing up as I grew up 1 hour by car from there. Every summer, I would spend 1-2 months there. It's an amazing place. 1-2 weeks won't be enough man. THere are many nice beaches in the area, and the area gets hopping specially during the summers where it gets literally invaded by all the northern europeans (german, dutch, scandinivians, belgian, but also brits not to mention the rich spaniards and portuguese). Plus, if you can, in August, they have a huge festival there, in nearby Bayonne, called les fêtes de Bayonne, which is a huge corrida festival, with lots of hard core corridas aficionados coming from all over the world, and that of course, attracts mad chick talent from all over southern France (IMO, the best French girls), Spain, Portugual, Italy and northern Euro girls too. I remember growing up spending my summers there and during those festivals, it was so packed that people were sleeping on the benches in parks, or even on the lawns all arond town. It was a mad party for a whole week. Unfortunately, I haven't been in years but if it's anything like even half as fun as it was in my time, then it'll be mad fun.

Other great litle cities in the areas that are little gems for both the beach and party vibe: Anglet (small town near Biarritz), St-Jean-de-Luz, another very scenic town, reminds one in some degree of Monaco, with its steep slopes and hills. You can be on the beach one moment and the next moment, 3-400 metres above sea level and have a mesmerizing view of the ocean/port.

During the summer, that area (Biarritz, Anglet, Bayonne aka BAB) but also St-Jean-de-Luz is packed with tourists and is among the best places in the entire European continent to be and one of my fav in the world. So much that this is where I intend on "settling" down when I do decide to have kids and do it back where I grew up. The food is to die for, the vibe is very chill, almost like a Marcel Pagnol or Paul Gauguin novel, think 19th century, where everyone knows everyone and when you go to the local bureau tabac aka convenient store or boulangerie or local restaurant, everyone knows you on a first name basis and greets you as family. So as i was saying, during the summer, there are lots of festivals, specially on Basque culture, like pelote basque, palla, (just google it, no english word for it), corridas and lots of rugby (and since alpha and alphaesque things are popular in here, probably THE ultimate alpha sport along with corrida) which is the national sport in the south west of France. Go there in the summer and you'll have the time of your life.

Side note: after writing this post, the gates of memories flashbacked in my mind from the time I was growing up there, so much that this is where I'll be going this summer!

Yeah.

Let's put it this way boys.

I am not sure if any of you know who Tom Curren is.

Basically, he was Kelly Slater, before Kelly Slater.

But way more soul. Way cooler.

He was the guy Kelly Slater idolized growing up.

Here is a guy that traveled the world, and surfed all the best beaches of the world.

He could have retired anywhere in the world.

So, where did he retire after the pro tour?

Anglet, France

That should tell you something.

(Not sure if he still lives there, but did for a long time.)

I'm surprised real estate can be so cheap there: http://france.themovechannel.com/propert...s/5126644/

$188K Euro for a 1 bedroom sounds really good (granted I'm not sure how good the area is).

Quote: (01-25-2012 12:20 PM)Menace Wrote:  

I'm surprised real estate can be so cheap there: http://france.themovechannel.com/propert...s/5126644/

$188K Euro for a 1 bedroom sounds really good (granted I'm not sure how good the area is).

That is actually shockingly low.

If it is "within walking distance of La Grande Plage" like it says, it can't be bad in any shape or form.

I am not exactly sure what they mean by the "town centre", but I guess that must mean pretty central.

***Update. I know where the town centre is now. Here:

[Image: biarritz-town-centre.jpg]

The public gardens they mention are really close to the beach.

It's a one bedroom, but still.

Biarritz is absolute paradise in summer.

[Image: 45b6c8b4c35e07f49016702ec5440b2d.jpg]

I have swooped on this beach at night:

[Image: biarritz_680373n.jpg]

Quote: (01-25-2012 10:44 AM)ElJefe Wrote:  

How's the water temp?

Where?

Biarritz or Alicante?

Its looking more like three weeks in Basque. Was thinking of Barcelona.... but there is something about that north country.

Like VP said.

I have a rendezvous with a flame in June. Might have to introduce her to my ex and her fiancee in San Sebastian.

I hope its still a little rough over there. Sweden is a little too quaint and even.

Quote: (01-25-2012 02:31 PM)Laner Wrote:  

Its looking more like three weeks in Basque. Was thinking of Barcelona.... but there is something about that north country.

Like VP said.

I have a rendezvous with a flame in June. Might have to introduce her to my ex and her fiancee in San Sebastian.

I hope its still a little rough over there. Sweden is a little too quaint and even.

Here is the key question, and I will make your decision for you:

What month are you planning on going?

Yeah which month you'll be there will be a major factor in how fun it'll be. July and August will be where you'll have the most tourists around and August will be the best time if you want to catch also one of the rounds of the World Surf Tour in Biarritz, usually late August. It's fun and attracts mad talent as you can imagine. Best time fun wise would be from mid July to end of August which will be PRIMO time and expect the prices to be the highest. If you want good weather and decent prices, then May-June and Sept-Oct when the hordes of tourists and school kids have left.

Btw, G, that last pic you posted, is exactly where I was posted. Man, that beach was like my 2nd home when I was a very young pup in the early 90's. And you're totally right that if you want waves, then hit Biarritz or Anglet. If you want very calm waters, then hit St-Jean de Luz or Hendaye which is just accross from San Sebastian and the Spanish border. Btw, anyone else going there this summer? I'm seriously thinking of returning there. G, you going there?

I will be there for two weeks in mid June.

Just tried booking Hotel Maria Cristina, San Sebastian for five nights but it is fully booked. Unreal.

Instead I am probably going to book Hotel Astoria7.

After San Sebastian I will be in Biarritz for about a week as well.

I will likely book Hotel 7b for the location and low key boutique vibe.

Quote: (02-28-2012 08:30 AM)Laner Wrote:  

I will be there for two weeks in mid June.

Just tried booking Hotel Maria Cristina, San Sebastian for five nights but it is fully booked. Unreal.

Instead I am probably going to book Hotel Astoria7.

After San Sebastian I will be in Biarritz for about a week as well.

I will likely book Hotel 7b for the location and low key boutique vibe.

June is actually my favorite month. Tourist hordes haven't yet descended.

Better for surfing.

Still plenty of topless girls, but not as many as July or Aug.

Its a balance.

June is a good month for Med or North.

If you were going July/Aug, I would say North as Med starts cooking.

Sounds like an insane trip, make sure you Data Sheet it up on the way back.

San Sebastian can be a great place in summer. Give it a fair shake and you will not be dissapointed.

Quote: (03-02-2012 08:56 AM)Carmo Wrote:  

San Sebastian can be a great place in summer. Give it a fair shake and you will not be dissapointed.

Bust out a Data Sheet!

I decided to plant myself in San Sebastian for a bit. Instead of splitting myself between Biarritz and here, I am calling this home for a couple weeks.

After experiencing a record breaking May heatwave, Sweden plunged into a record breaking June cold snap. Typical.

But the cold snap seems to be lingering in this area as well. I am not one to complain, and I always see the positive in situations like this.

The storms of the Biscay are bringing in some good swell. Its a bit rough, and the wind is not really consistent but the breaks are empty. Just locals are surfing the Zurriola beach break at the moment. The rain and temps are keeping everyone else in the bars.

The bars are a great place to escape the downpours though. The Pinxtas food hits the spot and keeps you going. You are never more than a few meters from a place, especially in the old town.

I mentioned that the Hotel Maria Cristina was fully booked, or that I could not get reservations. That is not the case, its under renovations until July.

I am staying at Hotel Astoria 7 for my time here. I dig the boutique hotel vibe. Its about a 15 minute walk to the old town, or of logistics are worrying a $7 cab. Its a 7 minute run to the surf break (where they will store your gear for you) and some yoga and you are in the water in 30 min.

I would not come here for the women (at this time). Perhaps its the weather, but there have only been a handful of women that I would have considered worth the energy. I have a feeling that there are some top class women waiting behind the brickwork to make an appearance with the sun. I just have not seen them yet. Also keep in mind the surf break and the bathing beach are 15 minute walk from each other (through the old town). So perhaps they are out there, I just have not seem them.

Having a car would be good here. I hear of some really dope spots outside the city, and of course by car Biarritz is only 30 min. But this place has some amazing looking geography to the west. A surf wagon set up would be killer here. I am thinking this place from September through October would off the hook.

A great place to polish up on the Spanish, eat some of that killer Basque food and spend the days with the feet hanging off the board and the face in the rain.

Laner -

Good update.

Summer is just getting started there.

I am pretty sure you can easily take a train to France or other parts of País Vasco right?

Would you mind lacing in a few bars, clubs, and restaurants for the crew?

[/quote]

Love Alicante.

Go in Summer.

June and July, the temp was pinned between 80-83 degrees, not a cloud in the sky for two months straight.

Better weather than san diego.

[Image: Alicante.jpg]
[/quote]

G, you mention Alicante as being a dope spot and that's what my research pointed towards also. I'm gonna be set up there for about 5 nights starting July 1st and then the plan is Torrevieja (3-4 nights) to Almeria (3-4 nights) as the most likely last destination of this little trip. Aguilas or hopping on a plane and checking out Palma (even though it will probably be a mad house) are also options as the last stop. I hear Palma has a lot of Germans and me speaking fluent German as a cat from LA typically serves me well and I imagine it would there also.

I'm game for any dope spots along that stretch of coast but that's the plan as of now. If you have some useful intel it's much appreciated.

I will for sure drop datasheets on all the spots I hit on this trip.

I am pretty sure you can easily take a train to France or other parts of País Vasco right?

The bus seems to be the best way to get around the area. Other than by car or motorcycle, obviously. The dirt biking here looks dope. Keeping this in mind for next time around.

Would you mind lacing in a few bars, clubs, and restaurants for the crew?

No problem.

Casa Alcade- Restaurant and pintxos bar. Good local food and casual local place.

Casa Vengana- Next door to Alcade. More or less a hole in the wall.

Both of these are on Kale Nagusia, right by the entrance to the church.

Atari is also right across the street from the two I just posted. A bit higher end feel, a lot of gringos, and higher prices. I had a pretty good G&T there but was not really feeling the place.

A Fuego Negro- A bit of a classier place, also for pintxas but other food as well. Some decent looking senoritas here as well. Good spot.

La Cepa- Just down the street from Fuego Negra. I dig this spot, I end up here around siesta for an hour or so for some quick bites and a beer or two. Can get pretty loud with locals in the afternoon so a good spot to post up.

The last two places are on Calle 31 de Agosto.

I am not hitting the clubs here. I am hitting my bed instead.

Surf was better today. Still some storms chopping it up off the coast, but it was mostly sunny (and windy) after the monsoon this morning. More people out as well.

Tomorrow looks good as well. Low tide breaks can get big here (3m).

Also something to note. I think I would be just as happy to have a mat and sleep in a closet, as long as its close to the beach. My hotel is pretty dope, but I find its a bit unnecessary.

I am back on the west coast and thought I would drop some more data on the area.

Some of you are going into Biarritz for the upcoming surf comp. In most regards Biarritz is the better centre for getting around. It is more central and the most set up for surf trips up and down the coast if you dont have wheels (like me).

Also Biarritz has more glamour and it feels much more like a chic town. I am guessing the heat wave at the moment has the beaches fucking crawling with babes.

For those of you that enjoy a bit more culture and amazing food San Sebastian is a good spot. It is locked into the mountains a bit more though, so transport in and out is harder. If you have a car there are areas close by that will be very quiet and you might even have the breaks to yourself. In France you will not get this.

For the advanced surfers Hossegor north of Biarritz was going off when I was there. Huge swells, and from what the locals were saying it has consistent waves in the 1.5m-3m range, where as San Sebastian would not see this consistently or even at all. What I saw in that range was due to the spring storm ripping up the Biscay. Summer will likely by busy and small.

For those of you that only like sun I would not recommend this place. The locals joke the weather is more Irish than Spanish. It was certainly true for my stay there. But for Basque food, culture, scenery and getting a bit away from the mobs on the Med this place is epic.

I'd probably be going for at least a month around September/October.From what I could find on surfers' forums,that's the best time for surfing.What's the situation regarding weather and girls at that time?Promise to write a data sheet,just let me know if it's worth it.

I asked the same questions when I was there. The locals say that September is the best month. A lot of the tourists are gone, and the breaks will be less crowded. I am not sure about the swell as I am not experienced enough to care. 1m and I have fun. 2m and I feel the adrenaline.

I am considering renting out a small apartment there for Sept and Oct one of these years. Its a great spot.

Thanks.If you're still there,can you ask them if it's better to go to the Basque region in Sep/Oct or wait a couple months and go surfing to the Canary Isles instead?