rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Some tips on diving

Some tips on diving

I read another thread and just had an idea to start one on diving. Along with surfing, diving is a pretty dope sport where you can really take some amazing photos of you being awesome.

So here's some tips on the best places to dive (and learn to) in Central America:

First off... the Carribean side has the second biggest reef in the world after Australia's Great Barrier Reef. Add to this the fact that it is closer to Europe and the US and significantly cheaper location - it's a no brainer.

You can dive in these countries:

Mexico: Off Quintana Roo, plenty of great places to see. Diving too. Downside is that it is ALL overhyped and overpriced. You will probably not see a whale shark, and since this place is a tourist trap, your basic warning signs should´ve gone off long ago. Check out the cenotes and play with the dolphins if you must. Both are great date ideas. Quintana Roo is only 3 hours from New York and the infrastructure is good.

Belize Rather expensive, once more. Famous for the great diving, especially the Blue Hole. Belize has some black beauties, too - but watch your pecker. Country in general is overpriced and hot as fuck. However, it's so popular that plenty of backpackers make it through to dive here along with all the family vacationers from Europe.

Honduras The Bay Islands - you have Roatan, Utila and Guanaja (it is the most expensive). At Utila you can get your Open Water Padi for USD250 or less INCL materials and accommodation! and two fun dives. The place is just a street with dive shops. You get wasted at night and dive in the morning. Bad combi, in my opinion, but I'm glad everyone goes to Utila because you keep them away from the nicer places. Roatan has more gorgeous beaches, but prepare to witness the soul-crushing presence of KFC and Burger King here. If you go, stick to the West End. You can learn to dive there for USD300 w/ materials and accommodation. Beaches are way nicer than Utila, and there's more to do as well. Crowd is, on average, five years older than Utila (25-30 vs 20-25). Diving at Roatan is better than Utila - it usually depends on how far they are willing to go out from shore and the weather. You will see a more impressive array of colors off Roatan.

Nicaragau Ahh... now this is the gem - what I share with you here you must keep to yourself and yourself ONLY. Corn Islands, Nicaragua. Accessible by plane or two day overland travel from the capital. The adventure of getting there is part of the fun, in my opinion. Both Big and Little offer amazing diving. Hammer-heads every day (I was there in March, the seaons DOES make a difference). Little Corn is an oasis outside of civilization with electricity only half the day and, inspite of sizeable backpacker presence, they have not yet spoilt everything. Big Corn is more well known, but a good place to hang out a day or two. You can buy plates of freshly caught jumbo shrimp or tails of lobster (2) for less than USD10, smothered in butter and garlic. You can learn to dive here, w/o accommodation, for USD330 incl fun-dives. Diving here is the best of all, in my opinion. The most beautiful under-water landscapes and wildlife.

Costa Rica I know almost nothing about diving in Costa Rica.

Panama If you just want to learn, go to Bocas del Toro. In one week, with accommodation, you can get an open water padi for USD175. Unbeatable. I don't know what there is to see... most people said just sand. But if you want to learn and see the place, you could do it here, then head up to the Corn Islands and do some fun dives for USD65.

This was just an informal info sharing... hopefully other divers with more experience can throw out more info for travelers.

PS. In relation to pussy, Utila is the easiest place to get laid because of the sheer number of backpacker slutz. If you come here to get laid though, I hope you get a disease.

A year from now you'll wish you started today

Some tips on diving

Thanks Jefe! I love to dive and I've never been to the Corn Islands in Nicaragua. Have you done the ABC islands? I really like 7 mile beach on Grand Cayman. Let me know if you need a dive partner sometime.

Some tips on diving

Nice tips. I'm actually certified, but have never done a real tropical dive. Where would you got to get your sea legs so to speak. Panama?

Some tips on diving

How much would it cost to get a diving instructor certification?

Some tips on diving

@ Menace - Panama to learn, but I didn't dive there myself. You want to see some barrier reef, I recommend Belize, Honduras or Nicaragua (East side)

To become an instructor... I couldn't tell you, I'm a novice (open water, that's it) - cheapest spot is no doubt Utila, Bay Islands or Bocas del Toro, Panama.

A year from now you'll wish you started today