rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Hacking sleep

Hacking sleep

Does anybody have expertise and experience in this area?

Hacking sleep

Anybody

Hacking sleep

I sleep about 7 hours per night with a CPAP. I snored heavily for many years and probably had obstructive sleep apnea for over ten years. I feel better, have no "mid-afternoon fog", and find weight control to be easier.

My mental acuity (at 54) is back to where it was in my 20s.

I take 0.25 mg of alprazolam (Xanax) and 5 mg of zolpidem (Ambien) when I get in bed about 2130. Lights out at 2200. I sleep soundly until about 0330, then lightly until 0500. I usually wake ahead of my alarm.

I'm experimenting with 3mg melatonin lozenges to replace the prescription meds.

Quality sleep is a force multiplier. Don't short yourself.

Hacking sleep

Interesting

Hacking sleep

I've been a polyphasic sleeper in the past and am always trying to modify my sleeping habits to see improvements in productivity and whatnot.

I actually have a sleep hacking product half finished. It was supposed to be a guide to various polyphasic sleep methods and hacks on how to wake up early, lucid dream for productivity and just take total control of your sleeping habits.

If there's any interest, I'll try and finish it up.

Hacking sleep

I forget what its called but I've read more then a few articles on it. There's a type of sleeping that, if you get the cycle right and dont break it, you only sleep for a total of 2 hours a day in the form of eight 15 minute naps.

The idea is to train your body to immediately fall into REM sleep, do the mental resetting that occurs at night, then wake up ready to go. It takes something like two weeks of a totally fucked schedule to get it down, and you cant really break the cycle unless you plan on stopping entirely.

Chef In Jeans
A culinary website for men

Hacking sleep

Quote: (01-07-2012 05:08 PM)mofo Wrote:  

What do you mean you find weight control to be easier? Did you use to lose weight or gain weight easily before using a CPAP?

Can I ask you why you take xanax? I heard that it's very dangerous.

Before the CPAP, I found that I was too tired most days to exercise. Drag myself to work, drag home, veg on the net, drag myself to sleep, sleep poorly.

Been on the CPAP for a year. I sleep much better. I now have the energy to exercise. Combined with a better diet, I'm losing weight.

I started the Xanax and Ambien after a major personal tragedy two years ago. I am working my way off the meds. Don't listen to hearsay about meds. Talk to your doctor and do a little research. Wikipedia, WebMD, and the Mayo Climic have a lot of reliable free information.

Hacking sleep

Quote: (01-07-2012 07:32 PM)November Wrote:  

I've been a polyphasic sleeper in the past and am always trying to modify my sleeping habits to see improvements in productivity and whatnot.

I actually have a sleep hacking product half finished. It was supposed to be a guide to various polyphasic sleep methods and hacks on how to wake up early, lucid dream for productivity and just take total control of your sleeping habits.

If there's any interest, I'll try and finish it up.

Right here. Mind describing what kind of product is this? Is it some kind of software, an ingested product, etc?

Hacking sleep

Quote:FretDancer Wrote:

Right here. Mind describing what kind of product is this? Is it some kind of software, an ingested product, etc?

I had plans for an ebook, audio files that would help induce lucid dreaming/sleep states and some videos explaining the process for polyphasic sleeping (what Chad was talking about).

Gonna dig up the files and keep working at it.

Hacking sleep

Please do. I've been into lucid dreaming for quite a while now, giving up on it from time to time. Had quite a few lucid dreams, not much luck recently though.

Would be very interested to check out your product. Good luck with it!

Hacking sleep

Quote: (01-08-2012 11:26 PM)November Wrote:  

I had plans for an ebook, audio files that would help induce lucid dreaming/sleep states and some videos explaining the process for polyphasic sleeping (what Chad was talking about).

Id buy that. I was looking into developing a nutritional supplement product that would help with dreaming/lucid dreams last year, but the plans did not went through.

Hacking sleep

I have tried what the polyphasic sleepers often call Everyman 2 or E2 on online forums.

It means 5,5 hours of core sleep and two naps of 20-25 minutes. Sometimes I have needed to adjust it to a 6h 20 minutes of sleep and a 20 min nap. The reason have been tiredness because circumstances have not allowed me to take one or two of the naps of the 5,5h 2naps scedule.

The results have been superb. My productivity has sykrocketed, I feel much more awake and I sleep less. Before I used to sleep 6,5-7 hours in the summer and 8-10 in the winter. Still I often felt tired.

I have many times wondered why polyphasic sleep feels so good. And I think its several reasons. Some of them:

-You get alot of practice at sleeping in lightening quick. I can nap at the bus or tram and when I go to sleep at night I sleep in instantly.

-You dont wake up when you are at your "deepest" sleep. Hence waking up very fresh.

- The naps give your rest when needed. The body doesnt get charged for a full day use at normal sleep.

Hacking sleep

Careful with sleep. if you have underlying mood disorder chemistry, and you don't get the right amount-regularity of sleep, it can trigger/worsen depression and manic states. In some cases, sleep deprivation can help depression; but the effect seems transient (one day).

I've read the biggest problem in USA is not enough good sleep. Read up on sleep deprivation caused disasters: Exxon Valdez.

Edison's opinions are suspect, he obviously had a very, very unusual nervous system to have invented the light bulb, the motion picture camera AND the telephone. in fact, compared to himself, I'm not surprised if everyone around him seemed asleep!

Saying people oversleep by 100% is way off--if people sleep 8 hours, they don't usually feel well on 4. Maybe he meant [almost] 100% of people oversleep; no that they oversleep by 100%.

Hacking sleep

I really like the Spanish system of eating and playing late into the night as a matter of course, sleeping for a core period from, say, around midnight to around 6AM, and supplementing this with an hour or so siesta after lunch.

But then the Spanish know how to live.

Hacking sleep

What is the purpose of lucid dreaming? Only fun? It sounds a bit weird to me though I heard a few people raving about it.

Hacking sleep

Almost everyone I know who has "hacked sleep" looks like shit--bad skin, bags under their eyes. I make it a point to sleep a shit-ton whenever I can and, when I do, I look fresher and younger than anyone I know. Sleep restores skin and skin is everything.

Tuthmosis Twitter | IRT Twitter

Hacking sleep

Quote: (01-09-2012 01:34 PM)Tuthmosis Wrote:  

Almost everyone I know who has "hacked sleep" looks like shit--bad skin, bags under their eyes. I make it a point to sleep a shit-ton whenever I can and, when I do, I look fresher and younger than anyone I know. Sleep restores skin and skin is everything.

Thick skin.

Hacking sleep

To me sleep is the most important thing, I'd never wanna hack sleep deliberately. When you sleep your body rests and produces testosterone.

Hacking sleep

Anyone tried getting off of caffeine?

Hacking sleep

Quote: (01-09-2012 01:29 PM)mofo Wrote:  

What is the purpose of lucid dreaming? Only fun? It sounds a bit weird to me though I heard a few people raving about it.

Mostly recreational. It can be put to productive use by practicing a skill just like in waking life. I find that incredibly hard to achieve though.

Hacking sleep

Good

Hacking sleep

Special kind of meditative yoga & deep meditation and you can survive with almost no sleep.

Meditation gives deeper rest & more energy than sleep.

The point of modern propaganda isn't only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.
- Garry Kasparov | ‏@Kasparov63

Hacking sleep

Quote: (01-09-2012 09:21 PM)xmlenigma Wrote:  

Special kind of meditative yoga & deep meditation and you can survive with almost no sleep.

Meditation gives deeper rest & more energy than sleep.

Where can I learn this?

Hacking sleep

Pretty much all over the world. There are several schools of meditation & I've tried many of them.
Where are you based? I'll try to look up something that will work for you.

The point of modern propaganda isn't only to misinform or push an agenda. It is to exhaust your critical thinking, to annihilate truth.
- Garry Kasparov | ‏@Kasparov63