rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

One Yearly Commitment has the Power to Make Your Life Exponentially Better

I was thinking earlier today about how everyone makes jokes about
New Years Resolutions. The reason being that it's generally expected
(and accepted) that you won't follow through.

But think about this.

What if everyone just changed one single thing about their life? And
that was that they actually honored their New Years Resolution every
year? What if you did? How much better would your life be?

It would improve every single year, without fail. All you have to do is
keep your yearly commitment to change about yourself. Simple, really.

Do you have a New Years Resolution? Will you keep it?

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

Quote: (12-31-2011 01:02 AM)Beyond Borders Wrote:  

I was thinking earlier today about how everyone makes jokes about
New Years Resolutions. The reason being that it's generally expected
(and accepted) that you won't follow through.

But think about this.

What if everyone just changed one single thing about their life? And
that was that they actually honored their New Years Resolution every
year? What if you did? How much better would your life be?

It would improve every single year, without fail. All you have to do is
keep your yearly commitment to change about yourself. Simple, really.

Do you have a New Years Resolution? Will you keep it?

I have lots, starting tomorrow.

Book - Around the World in 80 Girls - The Epic 3 Year Trip of a Backpacking Casanova

My new book Famles - Fables and Fairytales for Men is out now on Amazon.

Yeah? What do you have in the mix?

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling

i have a few that are related to eachother. i believe that people make lofty or simple goals so they cant ever actually complete them. ie. i want to lose weight (bad goal) i want to lose 30lbs by june by eating healthy (define entirely your diet) and exercise (again define exactly what you are going to do). have a motivation. ie. losing weight = more self confidence.

i think that the process of completing the goal works more to grow a man than the completion of the goal itself.

Quote: (12-31-2011 03:04 PM)WesternCancer Wrote:  

i think that the process of completing the goal works more to grow a man than the completion of the goal itself.

You're absolutely right, and I think this is huge. Every time we break a promise to ourselves, we are training ourselves to do that again in the future. It's like wiring yourself for failure.

Completing even small goals is a great exercise in doing just the opposite.

Beyond All Seas

I think a year is too long for most goals, unless it's something that has an inescapable timeline, like a set of traditional college courses.

Here are mine:
By April 1:
1. Get a 225 lb max bench press and 200 lbs body weight (Currently at 195 for 3 sets of 5 and ~190 BW).
2. Complete at least three books on programming.
3. Move from my current neighborhood
4. Go out for lunch at least one fewer day per week at work, by preparing lunches.
5. (Hopefully) take an interesting local class in person.

I'm trying to think of a few more. Usually fall into a few categories - making myself more attractive or interesting, enhancing my career prospects, or cutting my living expenses. Also looking to improve my social life, but I'm not sure how yet.

my resolution is to travel to at least 1 new destination for vacation this next year.

Resolutions and goals are completely separate.

Resolutions: bad behavior you want to stop but are too weak to.

Good idea in principle.

But I hate New Year's resolutions - never have any, if something is worth doing no time like the present. (Despite the fact it is the 1st of January!)

I would never deem something a resolution - just something I want or need to do. Putting a 'resolution' tag on it makes me think of all those fat people that go to the gym for one week in January every year do 10 minutes on 0.5 incline cardio at 2 kmh, 2 minutes of the bike then go home eat loads of shit then ditch the gym after the week and carry on being fat slobs for the rest of the year.

My philosophy is if you want to do something - take the time to learn the skill, whether it's reading up on it, learning from someone who's done it, work your balls off and achieve it, don't stop til it's done then onto the next challenge. Who cares if you decide to do it on 1st January or 31st of March?

Definitely helps to put them into quantifiable and trackable deadlines as Basil has mentioned above also.