rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

District’s population and image soar

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/dist...story.html

Quote:Quote:

Now, the District routinely shows up on lists of cool cities where young people gravitate, and it is drawing as many young adults as ultra-hip Austin and Portland.

New people mean new energy, new ideas, new enthusiasm and new money.

In other words...

-higher rents
-more sausage
-more cookie cutter SWPL girls who seek Whole Foods and Starbucks
-more "hip" clubs and restaurants

Growth is not good if the people coming here aren't thin or attractive. While the evidence is anecdotal, a higher proportion of men are coming here than women for work in military or government. It's no surprise that the District was at its best for us when the population was on the decline.

There's a lot of money to be made right now in the defense industry right now. I'm a vet at it, and can say most of these cats have no game. But they do have the dosh to supplement. Just another obstacle to get over.

With that being said, most of these dudes are cut from the same cloth. Prior military and combat deployment, lack of style, divorced, while enlisted. A lot of them live in the past of their glory days, and there's nothing wrong with that at all. But girls have heard the same war stories over and over.

I'm of that same cloth. But if in D.C., I'd talk about something TOTALLY different, and leave out the ME and military altogether. I would play up a greater sense of fashion, travels to less austere environments, ect.

It's definitely the economy. The dominant presence of the federal government and its booming residual industries (defense contracting, lobbying, etc) continues to draw hordes of people from around the country. Other cities simply don't have that sort of recession-proof anchor.

DC is a great place to invest in for those who have the money. It's actually quite late now, but those folks who bought up those boarded up Victorian row houses back in the day, gutted them out, and fixed them up are seeing a nice ROI. Gentrification has reached into neighborhoods that were previously unthinkable as places for young professionals to reside in.

New people mean new energy, new ideas, new enthusiasm and new money.

In other words...

-higher rents
-more sausage
-more cookie cutter SWPL girls who seek Whole Foods and Starbucks
-more "hip" clubs and restaurants
decline.

Damn, I've lived in Austin since before the recession and you've hit the nail on the head as far as what's happened to this city. I'm sure everyone will say that their city was 10x better before the economy went to the shitter but the changes here seemed like they happened overnight.

I've also heard the thing about guys not being competition and having no game but what's happened is that because there's so many of them relative to the amount of decent women, the chicks get an inflated sense of worth due to getting hit on so much.

Also, the jobs that the women are coming here for are not really high paying for the most part so a lot of them don't really have the funds to go out that much. It's the college crowd thats really sustaining the nightlife scene here and the drop off that happens when school is out is tremendous.

Quote: (12-22-2011 11:36 AM)Vaquero Wrote:  

It's the college crowd thats really sustaining the nightlife scene here and the drop off that happens when school is out is tremendous.

The college crowd in DC appears to have dwindled. It's hard to explain because the District still has several colleges. A few years ago Adams Morgan and Dupont had lots of college girls. Go there today? Sausage Party central!

the college crowd is still here but there amount of college kids who can go to dupont night clubs and drink themselves silly has decreased because its expensive and daddy isnt as happy to foot that bill as he was 5 years ago. i remember going to school in a small college town where $30 could get 2 people falling down drunk. that wont get you very far in DC.

I don't know Washington DC ,only what I see on the T.V.

If the top end neighborhoods are doing well ,from this news report today it certainly looks like the bottom end is doing pretty damn badly...but wasn't that always the case?

http://www.channel4.com/news/children-su...ream-fades

there are very large parts of DC (all of Southeast, good portions of Northeast) where you dont ever want to be

Quote: (12-22-2011 04:17 PM)Brian Wrote:  

there are very large parts of DC (all of Southeast, good portions of Northeast) where you dont ever want to be

All of South East? Not true at all. Eastern Market, Barracks Row, Capitol Hill, and Navy Yard are all safe/nice areas in 'South East'.

If you mean across the river SE, then you're absolutely right.

I have mixed feelings about D.C.'s come up. D.C. has always been very much a colony. You have natives who were born here and do most of the laboring and administrative jobs. And you have colonists who come here and fill the professional ranks. It used to be that the colonists stuck to Georgetown and Virginia and left after a few years, but now they're starting to stay. And they're starting to buy property and open shops and restaurants and cupcake stores.

On the one hand, D.C. is starting to actually become more of a city and less of a colony. On the other hand it's becoming a city of credentialist, group-thinking, SWPL yuppies.

Gentrification = getting rid of black people
Multiculturalism = getting rid of white people
Anti-immigration = getting rid of Latinos