rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Going to New York....need help

I'll be visiting NY City in October. I'm staying at the Pod Hotel.

I've never been and I'm going to be a bit out of my element. I've never even been on a fucking train and I think that's how I'm supposed to get from JFK to my hotel! Should be an adventure [Image: smile.gif]

My nights are taken care of but not sure what to do during the day or what the weather will be like.

Any tips on getting around, eating, having fun, not getting robbed, or anything that's essential???

Much appreciated!

[Image: banana.gif] PEANUT BUTTER JELLY TIME!!!

Don't know much about NYC beyond the typical touristy spots but as for avoiding scams read this..

http://www.rooshv.com/2007/10-common-travel-scams

For sightseeing ideas:

http://www.virtualtourist.com/travel/Nor..._City.html

wikitravel.com has become a great site similiar to wikipedia for travel guides. It's not the most thorough site in the world, but I like that it gets input from such a variety of people.

Weather in the NE in October should be lovely. Cool, brisk days and chilly nights. If you're lucky, you'll get there during the peak of foliage and see all the colors of the leaves changing around central park. I live in California and really miss the nice autumn of the east coast.

As far as safety, few people realize that NYC is statistically one of the safest cities in America. It's per-capita crime rate is pretty low. It still caries a crime stigma left over from the 80s, but it has been cleaned up and is very safe now. Basic street smarts are all you need. Don't do anything stupid like walk down alleyways at night in dodgy areas and you should fine.

hey,

i'd be wary of the pod hotel. my friend stayed there and both she and her boyfriend got bed bugs. they compensated her mildly (50 bucks and some apologies) but i'd try to affirm that they've dealt with this issue since.

Quote: (08-12-2008 09:14 AM)finefantastic Wrote:  

hey,

i'd be wary of the pod hotel. my friend stayed there and both she and her boyfriend got bed bugs. they compensated her mildly (50 bucks and some apologies) but i'd try to affirm that they've dealt with this issue since.

I'd never heard of the pod hotel before. I looked it up on tripadvisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-..._York.html

It seems like it gets pretty rave reviews from those that have visited. A 4 out of 5 score is pretty darn good for a 1 star hotel. If I go to NYC, I'll be giving this place a serious consideration given the obscene cost of a hotel room in Manhattan...although to be honest, it's hard for me to consider a tiny "pod" room for $200 a night to be a "bargain" either, but I guess it is by Manhattan standards. Crazy.

The Gramercy Park area is very nice. Kinda gives you the feel of a Woody Allen movie because its bustlin but not overcrowded. Nice for a daytime stroll with lunch at the Gramercy Park hotel

hey,

Nothing all that new in terms of bed bugs in NYC - or in many of the metros in the US. They exist irrespective of the cleanliness of an establishment. They've been increasing in number since '05 as more tourists overseas come to America [thanks to the cheaper dollar]. If you're worried about bed bugs, just inspect the room before setting up shop - if they're there, you'll know. If they're there, leave! These pests can and will hitch a ride in your suitcase all the way back home with you.

Anyway, as for what to do during the day in NYC? Come on, it's a huge city - pretty much anything. If you're into baseball - and the Yankees are out of it by then - take a tour of Yankee Stadium before they rip it down. There's plenty of galleries in SoHo, restaurants almost anywhere. Village area has some nice, quaint places to eat, listen to some jazz, etc. I usually stay away from Times Square, but if you've never been, it's worth seeing... once [I say the same thing about McSorley's Ale House on 7th - great atmosphere for being such an old Irish pub, but definitely only worth a daytime visit].

The subway system can be tricky - I've taken the wrong train plenty of times. I always just ask someone on the train, "is this the way to so and so" - nine times out of ten, you'll get a friendly response and more info than you need. If it's too daunting, then take a taxi.

Quote: (08-11-2008 12:58 PM)Joe Wrote:  

I'll be visiting NY City in October. I'm staying at the Pod Hotel.

I've never been and I'm going to be a bit out of my element. I've never even been on a fucking train and I think that's how I'm supposed to get from JFK to my hotel! Should be an adventure [Image: smile.gif]

My nights are taken care of but not sure what to do during the day or what the weather will be like.

Any tips on getting around, eating, having fun, not getting robbed, or anything that's essential???

Much appreciated!

Joe--I recommend taking the bus from JFK into Manhattan (I'm assuming that's where the Pod Hotel is). I lived in NYC for almost 5 years and always took buses from the airport, its generally faster than the Air Train/subway and once you are on the bus you don't have to switch anywhere or do anything else. They will drop you at Grand Central or Port Authority. If you go down to baggage claim and follow the signs for ground transportation you will see where to exit. If you just go outside there will be a sign for "Bus to Manhattan." Its like 25 bucks round trip.

There are a lot of people in NYC. 1/3 of them have herpes. You will probably get it just by sitting on a subway seat. Ole!

1 - Don't go to the places nor do things you can do at home (eating at franchises etc.). ie - Eat pizza at Grimaldi's in Brooklyn, not at sbarro.

2 - I've lived in NYC (Manhattan) for the past 3 years and have never felt in danger (I hardly ventured out to the other boroughs).

3 - Don't buy an I heart NY t-shirt, you look stupid when you wear it as soon as you buy it and you probably won't wear it when you get home.

4 - in fact, don't buy any of the crap from souvenir stores, they're tasteless, useless once you get home and a waste of money.

5 - Subways are fairly easy to travel in and may be better than cabs at certain times (rush hour)

6 - Don't worry about your hotel, you shouldn't be spending too much time there anyways.

That's all i got off the top of my head

Thanks for the tips, people. I think I'm gonna hop on a subway/train regardless of price just to do it, definitely eat at places that are unique to the area, watch out for bed bugs, karate kick villains, and not buy an "I heart NY" shirt [Image: smile.gif]

What's the deal with street parking a motorcycle in midtown manhattan? Probably just over the weekend. Been to New York many times and never drove/parked, but I'm thinking about riding the motorcycle there next time. If one realistically has no other choice than to pay for garage parking, that screws up the arithmetic.

i was in new york for the first time in february. what a run down and crowded city, its still nice though but id prefer to live in the brooklyn area

Quote: (07-25-2010 11:39 AM)kingkong Wrote:  

What's the deal with street parking a motorcycle in midtown manhattan? Probably just over the weekend. Been to New York many times and never drove/parked, but I'm thinking about riding the motorcycle there next time. If one realistically has no other choice than to pay for garage parking, that screws up the arithmetic.

Weekends are not as packed, but parking is still a bitch in NYC - especially midtown Manhattan.

Now, you may find spots along Lexington, 3rd, 2nd and 1st ave - but if you want to be "safe" and worry-free, I would just pay a spot for the day/night rates. They will tow your bike in a nano-second even if they are ultimately wrong....should be cheap to rent a spot for a bike. Ask a few spots as prices differ door-to-door.

Mixx

Quote: (07-25-2010 11:59 AM)MiXXmaster27 Wrote:  

Weekends are not as packed, but parking is still a bitch in NYC - especially midtown Manhattan.

Now, you may find spots along Lexington, 3rd, 2nd and 1st ave - but if you want to be "safe" and worry-free, I would just pay a spot for the day/night rates. They will tow your bike in a nano-second even if they are ultimately wrong....should be cheap to rent a spot for a bike. Ask a few spots as prices differ door-to-door.

Mixx

I asked a couple of cop buddies of mines who are cops in Midtown North Precint(it covers Times Square and most of Midtown). They told me they have never heard of a bike ever being towed. They dont even think a bike can get a parking ticket. The only thing you have worry about with street parking is somebody hitting your bike while parked and driving away.

Quote: (07-25-2010 12:24 PM)playa_with_a_passport Wrote:  

Quote: (07-25-2010 11:59 AM)MiXXmaster27 Wrote:  

Mixx

I asked a couple of cop buddies of mines who are cops in Midtown North Precint(it covers Times Square and most of Midtown). They told me they have never heard of a bike ever being towed. They dont even think a bike can get a parking ticket. The only thing you have worry about with street parking is somebody hitting your bike while parked and driving away.

shit, if you got cop friends - you're set! You did not say that! [Image: smile.gif]

NYC.. I just visited a couple of months ago and it immediately went up to my Top 3 destinations ever (of some ~23 countries).

I liked strolling on lower manhattan, especially NoHo, NoLiTa and SoHo. These areas are packed with excellent restaurants (~10 USD lunch), good shopping and very lively atmosphere. I spent many days there doing basically "nothing" but still having good time. Mid manhattan near Times Square was disappointing with its super touristic vibe and I only spent couple of hours there.

I cannot say much about the nightlife as I was taken to places by my friends and didn´t really do much research, but stand up comedy is really good in NYC. I went to Comedycellar and had really good time.

As far as I know it's impossible to tow a motorcycle. I regularly abuse that fact. Put a wheel lock on and it's doubly impossible. If there's a tow truck out there set up to securely lift away a wheel locked bike, I've never seen or heard of it. My concern is just tickets.

Quote: (07-26-2010 04:30 PM)kingkong Wrote:  

As far as I know it's impossible to tow a motorcycle. I regularly abuse that fact. Put a wheel lock on and it's doubly impossible. If there's a tow truck out there set up to securely lift away a wheel locked bike, I've never seen or heard of it. My concern is just tickets.

Motorcycles can get towed with tow trucks that have "lift planks" if they really want to fuck with you, and it depends on the aggressiveness of the towing company used, but likely will not happen, and you'll be given tickets galore.

so yeah, you're right towing your bike may be unlikely...tickets are given out like gov't cheese is handed out in Brooklyn. Just read posted signs and you should be fine.

However, my advice is to park in a garage and walk around worry free and focus more on bangin local New York women. So park in a garage as a surefire safe bet.

I would not worry too much about it - if you park illlegaly, well - pay the fine -life goes on - I've had my fair share of parking tixx in Manhattan - and one time I was even legally parked, and STILL got a ticket!

My .02

Mixx

I live in NYC. Here are some tips:

Don't spend more than a few hours above 23rd St unless you're in Central Park or a museum.

Union Square is always interesting. They have a farmer's market there which attracts a lot of attention three days a week.

Go to the park in DUMBO (F train to York St or A, C to High St) at night to see the Brooklyn Bridge. A new park was built near Grimaldi's pizza and it's beautiful.

At night, go to East Village/Lower East Side.

Check out Brooklyn.

Take the time to see some old school Brooklyn. Go to Bensonhurst, Brighton Beach, Sunset Park and chill at a cafe/bar.

Don't eat at a fucking chain restaurant.

Times Square? Skip it. Seriously.

Chinatown? Go and eat at the place with the least English.

Lot of Touristy SNL action in NYC

I will definitely Check

1. MOMA ( Museum of Modern Art ) Lot of Artsy type chicks and many more, should be able to line up someone for a later meet.....

2. Central park during daytime : Take a stroll, offer to take pictures for visiting tourists, try to pick up on foreign accents and ..........

3. UN Headquarters: again a lot of not main stream girls visiting but different/Intellectuals from around the world. Take there tour and by the end of the tour you will have some one lined up......

Let us know how your night activities panned out....

"Timidity is dangerous, Better to enter with boldness. Any mistakes you commit through audacity are easily corrected with more audacity." (Robert Greene)

Chinatown, Eat here:
Banh Mi Saigon Bakery, Mott St. (between Hester and Grand) his is in back of a jewelry and gem shop; no kidding! Both the Banh Mi Saigon (pork) and Banh Mi Ga (chicken) sandwiches are fantastic. Get them to go and eat them in a nearby park such as the one on the corner of Spring and Mulberry, a few blocks north and one block west. Note: Do not confuse this place with Saigon Banh Mi So at 369 Broome St., which serves sandwiches that are fine but nowhere near as good

They are really cheap and come on, they are inside a gem shop jaja

Park your bike on Riverside Drive in the Upper West Side, anywhere from about 72nd to 100th. You can park it there for 6 days straight, but you MUST move it on the day posted for street cleaning, or they (get this) tow it to another location where they find an empty spot and park it there. Bye bye bike.

On everything else - New York is very safe - take it easy. Put you bags on the foldy elevated thing, or the desk at any Hotel anyhere in the world. Don't put bags on the floor.

I previously posted some lengthy shit about things to do in NYC - you can check by my name to find. For Pizza - I dig Patsy's or Dean's...

Quote: (07-29-2010 10:27 PM)Weapons Wrote:  

Park your bike on Riverside Drive in the Upper West Side, anywhere from about 72nd to 100th. You can park it there for 6 days straight, but you MUST move it on the day posted for street cleaning, or they (get this) tow it to another location where they find an empty spot and park it there. Bye bye bike.

They cant tow your car for violating alternate side of the street parking(street cleaning). Everything else is fair game i.e. Parking near hydrant, parking in disable person spot, parking in "no standing"', bus stops and the list goes on and on. Parking on meters and on the side the street being cleaned on are about the safest as far as towing is concerned. Also, when they do towed your car they don't take to another street, they take it to the police pound where you have to fork almost $300 bucks to get it back. The only time they will tow your car and moved it to another street without penalty is when they are repaving the street.

Quote: (08-12-2008 11:07 AM)speakeasy Wrote:  

hey,

I'd never heard of the pod hotel before. I looked it up on tripadvisor: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-..._York.html

It seems like it gets pretty rave reviews from those that have visited. A 4 out of 5 score is pretty darn good for a 1 star hotel. If I go to NYC, I'll be giving this place a serious consideration given the obscene cost of a hotel room in Manhattan...although to be honest, it's hard for me to consider a tiny "pod" room for $200 a night to be a "bargain" either, but I guess it is by Manhattan standards. Crazy.

No need to go with 1 star. I'm staying in a 4 star hotel on 37th and Lexington in a deluxe room with two queen beds, microwave, fridge, wet bar and flat screen tv for $85 a night. You just have to learn how to use priceline. Bid the same for the flight and got nonstop RT for $200 from Charlotte.