rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

"Study" shows that single mom households are as good as nuclear households

As further evidence that "science" can "prove" anything, we have a "study" that shows being raised without a father is not that bad, and actually confers benefits. If you had a mother and father while growing up, it looks like you missed out.

Quote:Quote:

The experience of single parenthood is more common than typically reported – and children's well-being is not negatively affected by living in single-parent households – according to a study led by the University of Sheffield.

A report by Sumi Rabindrakumar, in her role as policy officer at the leading national charity working with single parent families, Gingerbread, and University of Sheffield researchers, found that public policy and research needs a more nuanced understanding of single parent family life – reflecting how households change over time.

The study, carried out as part of the University's Crook Public Service Fellowship scheme, explored the experiences of more than 27,800 households with children over a six-year period.

It found that, while surveys typically suggest that one in four families with children are headed by a single parent at any one point in time, data suggests that one in three families with children will have been a single parent family at some point over a six-year period.

Rosie Ferguson, Chief Executive at Gingerbread, said: "We have been supporting single parent families for a hundred years and we know first-hand how strong and diverse single parents and their families are.

"Our report with the University of Sheffield debunks myths about single-parent households and significantly, it shows that children are not negatively impacted if raised by a lone parent. What is most important to a child's well-being is the presence of positive relationships.

"We urge policymakers and researchers alike to do more to challenge popular stereotypes and reflect the dynamism of family life."

The report found transitions out of single parent family status are also common. Over six years, one in seven single parents reported getting married or cohabiting – and of these parents, nearly three quarters re-partnered with a biological parent of their child.

The study also found there is no evidence of a negative impact of living in a single-parent household on children's well-being in terms of their self-reported life satisfaction, quality of peer relationships, or positivity about family life. Children who are living or have lived in single parent families score as highly – or higher – against each measure of well-being as those who have always lived in two parent families.

Sumi Rabindrakumar, report author, added: "By taking a more dynamic view of family life, these findings challenge common political and public narratives around single parents and their families.

"Not only is the experience of single parenthood more common than typically reported, but family and caring relationships are more complex and often extend beyond the household unit.

"Crucially, there are clear signs that children's well-being is not negatively affected by living within a single-parent household. This fresh look at family life must now be reflected in policy making and research alike. To ignore these trends risks remaining out of touch with the reality of everyday lives and the UK's family landscape."

The study found that policymakers should recognise the fluidity of families and separation – single parenthood is common and separation in itself does not mean the breakdown of relationships with a child's biological parent, particularly given the prevalence of re-partnering for biological parents.

They should also think beyond the household and understand and value the support networks and relationships between and within households in policy decisions.

Policymakers should also resist popular narratives regarding the perceived 'problems' of single parenthood for children and ensure targeted policy making by taking proper account of the evidence on what affects family outcomes.

Professor Nathan Hughes, from the University of Sheffield's Department of Sociological Studies, said: "These findings have clear implications for how single parent families should be understood, valued and supported. Stereotyping single parenthood as a problem is inaccurate and immoral.

"The evidence on what affects child and family outcomes is readily available to politicians, but often does not seem to penetrate pre-determined negative political narratives about single parents.

"We need to recognise that family extends beyond the household unit. In particular, it is clear that grandparents play a key role in providing both financial and practical support, and therefore in ensuring a child's well-being."

The research was carried out by a multidisciplinary team as part of the Crook Public Service Fellowship scheme in the University of Sheffield's Faculty of Social Sciences.

The Crook Public Service Fellowship scheme, named in honour of the donor, Emeritus Professor Tony Crook, CBE FAcSS FRTPI, from the University of Sheffield's Department of Urban Studies and Planning and former Pro-Vice-Chancellor, aims to encourage original thinking and influence public policy.

The initiative allows future leaders in the public and not-for-profit sector to work closely with academics on pressing policy issues to influence their sector and wider society.

Professor Crook said: "I am delighted to see how the Crook Fellowships have achieved what I wanted to see when we set these up. They are helping to build strong collaborations between academic colleagues and Crook Fellows working in the policy and practice communities.

"The fundamental aim is to help make the world a better place through rigorous research on difficult policy challenges. These reports show what we can do through building strong links between academics and policy makers."

https://phys.org/news/2018-12-children-w...t.html#jCp

Here is the author of the study:

[Image: G1vUuTRj_400x400.jpg]

When it comes to social issues, they have the pre-determined agenda planned out and then conjure up the "science" to justify that goal, which in this case is an inversion of the family unit. We're maybe a few years out from them declaring that there is no harm from being molested as a child from homosexual parents.

But but, there is no plan you crazy tinfoil conspiracy theorists!

We're maybe a few years out from them declaring that there is no harm from being molested as a child from homosexual parents.

C'mon Roosh. That's just crazy. That could never happen. People just wouldn't allow it. Right guys? Am I right? Peace and love.

When I see headlines like this I try to guess if it came from the US, the UK, or Canada before I actually read the article. Looks I was right this time–the Brits and Canucks are a step or two ahead of America in this sort of fake-science university-originated crap.

I also like the obfuscation/lack of distinction between single-father and -mother households. Best to downplay the fact that single fathers are far more likely to turn out a well-adjusted, upstanding child–especially if it's a boy–than single mothers for PC's sake.

A report by Sumi Rabindrakumar, in her role as policy officer at the leading national charity working with single parent families,

This part was mildly surprising.

For the sake of the anglosphere, I sincerely hope the nuclear family comes back into play. Stable families create a healthy society.

The study also found there is no evidence of a negative impact of living in a single-parent household on children's well-being in terms of their self-reported life satisfaction, quality of peer relationships, or positivity about family life. Children who are living or have lived in single parent families score as highly – or higher – against each measure of well-being as those who have always lived in two parent families.

It took me decades to realise how much, and the types of harm growing up in a single-parent household caused me. Maybe I still don't realise the full extent, so I think I can safely disregard the self-reported perspectives of children. I would have answered the same way without the benefit of hindsight and acquired wisdom.

Anyone believing this "research" has already made up their mind on the matter, and are just seeking validation of their situation anyway

She has soulless eyes.

A child being raised in a single parent household is literally one of the worst things that can be done from a child development standpoint.

The article is just more propaganda by the liberal media trying to normalize more bullshit.

If anyone on my social networks shares that shit in a positive way they get perma-hidden or removed.

Quote: (12-29-2018 06:51 PM)Haig Wrote:  

She has soulless eyes.
Agreed. WNB either, at least not with that lesbo haircut. A thousand dollars says that she also came from a single-mother household.

University of Sheffield. Dont take anything they say seriously in regards to these matters as they are infested with SJWs.

Quote: (12-29-2018 07:07 PM)Foolsgo1d Wrote:  

University of Sheffield. Dont take anything they say seriously in regards to these matters as they are infested with SJWs.

From browsing the University of Sheffield's Crook Public Service Fellowships web page, it's not surprising to see no men on their staff.

Here's my anecdotal counter to this harebrained study authored by agenda-driven feminists whose only exposure to their "study subjects" is likely a questionnaire and maybe a fifteen minute interview.

I've worked as a public school teacher, curriculum supervisor, dean of students, and currently in grad school for developmental and educational psychology. I've dealt with a lot of problem students in my time. Guess the shared environment of the extraordinary majority of these students. You guessed it. No father in the home. The easiest and most determining factor in a student's ability to not be a fuck up asshole of kid is to have their dad home at the end of the day. I don't care what any study or survey says. Single mother households are ruining America. Ask anyone outside the ivory towers who deal with youth or crime on a daily basis.

The study emphasizes a child's feels being important and positive and mysteriously makes no mention of all the real empirically shown problems associated with single parenthood. This study is a joke and isn't going to change anyone's mind that kids from a single parent home is going to grow up disadvantaged and more often than not turn out bad.

A report by Sumi Rabindrakumar, in her role as policy officer at the leading national charity working with single parent families, Gingerbread, and University of Sheffield researchers, found that public policy and research needs a more nuanced understanding of single parent family life – reflecting how households change over time.

If single mother families are so successful, why do they need government employees like her to work with them?

If single mums made good parents why are 99% of prison inmates the product of a single mum?

[Image: giphy.gif?cid=3640f6095c28495b3139303445ce4b0c]

"What is most important to a child's well-being is the presence of positive relationships."

With a father not being an important one according to these punters.

Something that should always raise your hackles is when a lefite (either proven or presumed) talks about "taking a more nuanced approach" to anything. As a general proposition, any sufficiently complex explanation can "prove" whatever you want, but in the process you throw common sense out the window.

Edit:

"Stereotyping [every damn societal dysfunction the left routinely justifies] as a problem is inaccurate and immoral.

One of my children is with her mother the vast majority of the time. I recently sat down for a parent teacher conference. My kid is struggling to behave properly during lessons. She interrupts the classroom often.

BOTH the female teacher and my child’s mother began to get on *me* to fix this. I very frankly put both of them in their place by explaining that the mother and the teacher have more time with the kid than I do. That I handle things in my household and that they should do the same.

What I really read from it is that they, even subconsciously, are admitting that they need the father to correct the behavior. The irony is that I have repeatedly told my child’s mother I would be happy to have her more time to correct her behavior, to which she refuses.

I’m definitely not alone in this situation. A whole lot of other fathers given minimal time. For a society that cries sexism so often, this is a good example of having your cake and eating it too, at the cost of future generations.

Quote: (12-29-2018 08:07 PM)la bodhisattva Wrote:  

Here's my anecdotal counter to this harebrained study authored by agenda-driven feminists whose only exposure to their "study subjects" is likely a questionnaire and maybe a fifteen minute interview.

I've worked as a public school teacher, curriculum supervisor, dean of students, and currently in grad school for developmental and educational psychology. I've dealt with a lot of problem students in my time. Guess the shared environment of the extraordinary majority of these students. You guessed it. No father in the home. The easiest and most determining factor in a student's ability to not be a fuck up asshole of kid is to have their dad home at the end of the day. I don't care what any study or survey says. Single mother households are ruining America. Ask anyone outside the ivory towers who deal with youth or crime on a daily basis.

You really hit the nail on the head here. My dad worked long hours when I was growing up. I can clearly remember going to bed nights when my father wasn't home vs nights when he was and there was always a sense of security and stability when we all went to sleep with him at home vs when he wasn't.

When he had to take a new job in another city and could only come home on weekends, it was the prelude to a lot of problems at home and school.

Fuck these Marxist peddlers. I want them fucking burned at the stake in the center of every major city

two scoops
two genders
two terms

Analyze your male mass shooters in the US. One clear commonality: no father, divorced parents, or noticeably absent father.

Read the welfare rolls: single mothers on welfare more than families.

Examine your prisons: most male inmates lacked fathers and/or had divorced parents.

Look at the impact of divorce on people you know: usually the most traumatic event of their childhoods, usually emotionally damaged to this day.

The most broken women in society (promiscuous, drug addict, single mothers, etc): had single parent.

Social decay has accelerated in the 20th and 21st century. But who still chooses marriage at high rates? Wealthy, college educated whites.

Basically they cooked up one "study" to further their societal aims (continued breakdown of society), but plenty of other real studies show the obvious damage of breaking up families.

Live somewhere where there are no gubment gibs and see how strong the nuclear family is. This is much more instructive and telling than whatever study the SJWs doctor up next.

The nuclear family is the most important unit in society (other than the individual), and that is why you always see it being broken up in dysfunctional states (take your pick of communist, totalitarian, or even the modern social democratic).

Dennis Prager said it best:

“Studies either confirm what common sense tells us...or they are wrong”

I think we can all arrive at our on convulsions if this study.

They only studied it for 6 years.

The effects of a single parent household last DECADES, and that's if you have a plan to recover from them. Otherwise this shit will follow you all your life.

I'm 23, and it's taken me almost 5 years to undo all the damage that not having my father around caused. My test scores were great, but that had nothing to do with my mom as much as I love her and respect what she did for me as a single mom.

Quote: (12-29-2018 08:52 PM)Aurini Wrote:  

If single mother families are so successful, why do they need government employees like her to work with them?

Inverse of my post: without single mothers, she'd be out of a job.

[Image: ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.relatably.com%2Fm%2F...39.jpg&f=1]