rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Risk of theft in the Philippine

I'll be running around the Philippine for a while this summer and I'm wondering about theft. Not the pick pockets, but breaking into apartments and hotels theft.

The thing is, I'll be renewing all my Apple gear and it is going to cost around ~7.000USD. So I don't want to be unhappy about finding my laptop/ipad/iphone stolen.

I'll be booking relatively decent properties in Manila, Angeles and Cebu. Price budget around $40-70/day.

Should I be worried about apartment/hotel theft or is it a rare occurrence?

Stick with condos. Not seedy hostel types. Most have guards on the premises, as well as a receptionist upon entrance. You're far more likely to get robbed by a girl that you invited to stay for the night(who usually needs ID to check in), over a break-in. Even then, when your guest takes off many places require the receptionist to call your room to confirm your guest is leaving. Getting my condo robbed would be the least of my worries.

If you're staying at a nice place you'll be fine unless you're a shady person hanging out with shady people.

Quote: (04-01-2018 03:24 PM)AmericanPharoah Wrote:  

Stick with condos. Not seedy hostel types. Most have guards on the premises, as well as a receptionist upon entrance. You're far more likely to get robbed by a girl that you invited to stay for the night(who usually needs ID to check in), over a break-in. Even then, when your guest takes off many places require the receptionist to call your room to confirm your guest is leaving. Getting my condo robbed would be the least of my worries.

I remember having no issues in Thailand with over 20 girls most of whom left before I even wake up. Nothing was missing when I checked. Then you mentioned the ID part. They all checked.

Yea, I was wondering if the Condo situation in the fillys is as good as thailand.

Quote: (04-01-2018 03:27 PM)Spaniard88 Wrote:  

If you're staying at a nice place you'll be fine unless you're a shady person hanging out with shady people.

No shady stuff. I just want to make sure there are no unfortunate experiences.

Quote: (04-01-2018 03:52 PM)lookslikeit Wrote:  

Quote: (04-01-2018 03:27 PM)Spaniard88 Wrote:  

No shady stuff. I just want to make sure there are no unfortunate experiences.

Yeah, you're good then the condos there usually are located many floors up, have very thick doors, and are guarded by two or more guys with shotguns, plus a gate, plus staff asking for ID from anyone they don't know.

Condos in the Philippines are some of the most secure places I've ever lived in.

You will be fine in a condo as others have said, but out and about can be a risk, especially outside green zones in Manilla.

But you have travel insurance, right?

Looks like someone stole your letter “s” from Philippines.

Take care of those titties for me.

Angeles City.

No shady stuff.

Pick one.

Consider the mental cost of hauling $7000 worth of gear around a country where the overwhelming majority of people is very poor. You're going to step over mothers with children sleeping on the streets with $7000 of Apple products in your backpack?

If a poor girl who banged me once or twice tried to take my MacBook on the way out, I'd almost applaud her for trying to improve her financial situation.

Lock your stuff up.

Get a steel cable that you can use to lock closet doors with open handles.

Alternatively, you can aim to be such a great experience for the girls that they would never consider robbing you.

Share a good time with them. Talk about life in the West. Make them cum like little baby gorillas.

Quote: (04-02-2018 01:00 AM)asdfk Wrote:  

Make them cum like little baby gorillas.

How does a little baby gorilla cum?!

Personally, I've never been robbed from a hotel room or apartment but it does happen. Condos would be the safest because nobody is coming in your room without your permission and there is CCTV. Hotels have always been safe in my experience but there will be cleaners coming into your room to clean it who's daily salary is $8 so it makes sense that they might take something. Standalone houses and apartments get broken into like they do in every other country.

It's not hard in Manila to stay in upmarket condos, only go places in a Grab (no more Uber!), and never be in an environment where you are at risk. It's a bit harder to stay in that bubble in Cebu and probably impossible in Angeles. And if you don't have experience in the Philippines, you might slip up and find yourself walking down a shady street at night with your expensive gear. Don't take a jeepney with your gear.
I've never had issues with girls taking my stuff, but it's not impossible. If there's a brand new girl in your bed and she's not from a good background, be aware. I've taken a shower with the bathroom door open for that reason before.

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

^ What's wrong with Uber nowdays?

Quote: (04-02-2018 01:54 AM)asdfk Wrote:  

Uber is no more in the Phils, they were "taken over" by Grab...forced out of the country more like it as the taxi business is too influential.

Dr Johnson rumbles with the RawGod. And lives to regret it.

Quote: (04-01-2018 06:56 PM)RatInTheWoods Wrote:  

You will be fine in a condo as others have said, but out and about can be a risk, especially outside green zones in Manilla.

But you have travel insurance, right?

do you think travel insurance will cover that. I have to read the terms. I have a premiere card from my bank with all the world coverage. But I thought it is bullshit?

I'll not be taking my gear outside only when moving from hotels (3 or 4 times). Obviously, no one will be able to tell that I have Apple gear except for my iPhone if I needed maps? Only exception is in manilla/makati where I plan to go to starbucks and get some stuff done on the laptop.

Quote: (04-02-2018 01:59 AM)RawGod Wrote:  

Uber is no more in the Phils, they were "taken over" by Grab...forced out of the country more like it as the taxi business is too influential.

Yeah that really sucks. I got the email about "migrating" my account to Grab so maybe they are still getting a piece of the pie.

I already have a Grab account.

It's too bad, I used both all the time. Competition is a good thing, which is why I guess we can't have it.

I'd be wary of traveling around any third world country with such expensive equipment. I live in Vietnam and I use the cheapest decent laptop possible because of that fear. Most Vietnamese girls I bring over laugh at my laptop because the hinge is broken and the screen is falling off of it, which is fine. They think I'm poor and they don't want to steal it.

Quote: (04-02-2018 01:50 AM)RawGod Wrote:  

I've taken a shower with the bathroom door open for that reason before.

I've done this before too. Asia has wet bathrooms, which makes it so much easier.

Not sure what I would do if a girl were to grab something and make a run for it. I'd probably slip on the tile trying to chase her down. Thankfully, I haven't had a girl make a run for it with my crappy broken laptop.

Uber sold their SEA division to Grab in exchange for 27.5% of Grab and the Uber CEO joining the Grab board of directors. Mainly because: Uber is going public in 2019 and Softbank is an investor in both companies.

Not sure how that is forced out or what the influence of the taxi business has to do with it.

Quote: (04-02-2018 08:57 AM)Lighter Wrote:  

I'd be wary of traveling around any third world country with such expensive equipment. I live in Vietnam and I use the cheapest decent laptop possible because of that fear. Most Vietnamese girls I bring over laugh at my laptop, which is fine.

Uber sold their SEA division to Grab in exchange for 27.5% of Grab and the Uber CEO joining the Grab board of directors. Mainly because: Uber is going public in 2019 and Softbank is an investor in both companies.

Not sure how that is forced out or what the influence of the taxi business has to do with it.

So they were competitors owned by the same guy

Quote: (04-02-2018 09:13 AM)lookslikeit Wrote:  

So they were competitors owned by the same guy

Correct. Softbank bought 15% of Uber in January and was an early investor in Grab. Once Sotbank invested in Uber it was only a matter of time before Uber and Grab merged.

Grab has more market share and brand equity in SEA, so they kept the Grab name in SEA and ditched the Uber name.

I'm now 19 days in Manila and I never felt unsafe. I reckon what spaniard says: There are armed guards and you have somebody at the reception to ask their ID if they are not entering with you.

However, Girls who come to your condo, Always keep an eye on them. I've had a girl sniffing into my stuff when I was just going to the fridge to get some drinks. Now, I always hide my passport and wallet and some other important documents.

If you're in manila now as well and want to meet up, send me a PM.

@SpursFan I remember you making a thread a while ago looking for advice on moving abroad and going to Asia, it would be nice to have an update!

@ the - dream i'll give an update soon.

Quote: (04-02-2018 11:58 AM)SpursFan741 Wrote:  

I'm now 19 days in Manila and I never felt unsafe. I reckon what spaniard says: There are armed guards and you have somebody at the reception to ask their ID if they are not entering with you.

However, Girls who come to your condo, Always keep an eye on them. I've had a girl sniffing into my stuff when I was just going to the fridge to get some drinks. Now, I always hide my passport and wallet and some other important documents.

If you're in manila now as well and want to meet up, send me a PM.

I'll be there in the summer if you'll still be around.

Quote: (04-01-2018 07:13 PM)Dusty Wrote:  

Looks like someone stole your letter “s” from Philippines.

Ar you sugge ting that the e's a heft epid mic?

That's not how we do things in Russia, comrade.

http://inspiredentrepreneur.weebly.com/