rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

International Travel Without Money

In the last year, I've developed a real hankering to see the world before I sleep in a colder bed. Problem is, my funds are very limited. I've got a good job, but deep in debt due to a home purchase.

Is it possible to see the world on a shoestring without giving up my job or home? I don't need to sleep in beautiful hotels or eat at 5 star restaurants. I just want to experience the world. I want to see the Forbidden City and Mt. Fujiyama with my own eyes.

Anybody have any ideas?

No worries man.

There's a pro-travel technique discussed in this thread that will allow you to travel even if you don't have any money.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Its possible to travel on a lower budget than most Americans do. You can stay in hostels, eat in cheaper restaurants, not really drink alcohol etc. But you're still going to need very roughly $1000 for flights US to Asia, $20-$60 a day for food/activities, and $20-$100 a night for accommodation (depending on where you go). Its possible to game certain things like air miles a bit too to reduce the costs, but even with that you're still looking at needing $1500 per long-haul holiday at an absolute minimum really.

It also depends on what you mean by 'no money'. If you travel with literally no money you're going be extremely limited in what you can actually do while abroad. If you can't experience any of the local activities, or go to any museums/sporting events, or eat in nice restaurants or go to nice bars, etc, there isn't really much point in being there.

You're probably just going to need to either earn more money or spend less money in your home city, so that you can reliably start saving reasonable amounts of money.

Step one: Have tits and be a 5 or above
Step two: Sign up for couchsurfing.com
Step three: Decide which thirsty beta you are going to let host you for free and take care of you

I met a 5/10 Russian who used Tinder for couchsurfing....obviously banging every guy she stayed with. Free place to stay, sex on demand, free food, free tour guide, built in social circle.

The life of an average or above woman.

Probably the cheapest way to do this would be WOOFING, you will still need some money though obviously. Most places provide you with room and board. Some places will also pay you a small amount, although that would be illegal.

I actually believe, that traveling on small budget is superior to traveling on a big budget. As far as experience goes at least, but this is something, that I mostly aim at as well. I mean, I don't need to sleep in a hotel, I don't need a waterbed or other comforts. I'm not even really into sightseeing stuff, although it's worth to see some of the most memoriable stuff when you are there, but it never was and is my priority.

You can travel on low budget thanks to websites like helpx for example. A friend of mine been using it, but it's a typical backpacker vibe and you are extremely limited as it usually demands work on some farms and stuff, mostly located at the countryside. It's not the real freedom - it's like traveling just to travel. Not my cup of cake personally. I rather stay at a place, that I'm bored of and figure out how to make more money and elevate my carrer to actually be able to live the kind of lifestyle, that I want to.

I believe best bet in your situation would be to find some secondary income while you are on the way. Unless you are already in a field, that can somehow allow you remote work after gaining relevant experience, I would focus on doing some freelancing stuff - copywriting, coding etc. It doesn't pay much, but if you were to get yourself extra 500-700$ while you are on the way - and not being able to work, so lots of free time to use on working for 7-8$/hr, it would help you a lot.

Of course, you still need money for planes and the shorter your stay, less profitable the plane is.

I mean, I guess there is no magic switch to travel much cheaper, so I believe supplementing yourself with some freelance work is your best bet. And well, settling for some lower standards is a great help. I constantly see how people are throwing tons of unecessary money on their holidays - eating in restaurants all the time, sleeping in hotels, renting fancy airbnb. Do you need all that? It's better to live outside of the city centre, take a bus, cook your own meals - that's tons of money to save and it's actually more fun (at least for me).

You have to decide, what you actually want yourself though. You can't have everything without money, so you have to narrow it down to what you really want.

There's a documentary by Leon Logothetis called "The amazing adventures of a nobody" where this guy goes around Europe (there was a US series too but I've only seen the Europe one) and he's given $5 a day by his producer. He also has the option of a lifeline for when he's in serious trouble. He went from Paris to Moscow (via Barcelona). It's from about 10 years ago.

Good luck if you want to find it online though.

That's not how we do things in Russia, comrade.

http://inspiredentrepreneur.weebly.com/

Best of luck! But yeah a sex change could be your best option for free stays [Image: wink.gif]

Quote: (03-13-2018 03:57 PM)Cambodian Creamsicle Wrote:  

I met a 5/10 Russian who used Tinder for couchsurfing....obviously banging every guy she stayed with. Free place to stay, sex on demand, free food, free tour guide, built in social circle.

Somehow fat American women are managing to fund entire summer trips across Europe by doing the same.

I'll never get it.

Quote: (03-16-2018 02:14 AM)This Is Trouble Wrote:  

Quote: (03-13-2018 03:57 PM)Cambodian Creamsicle Wrote:  

Somehow fat American women are managing to fund entire summer trips across Europe by doing the same.

I'll never get it.

The white girl thirst is real. Some people are fascinated with Americans. Looking back, I find it amazing I've gotten as much free accommodation as I have being a dude. But, I maintained social contacts a lot in America specifically with people from other parts of the country. OP, if you've never done a long trip before, start with a couple months. 5k should get you through that in the cheaper countries. If you want to expat permanently, get some online income rolling or have at least a few years of savings.

As far back as I could remember, I always wanted to be a player.

2018 New Orleans Datasheet
New Jersey State Datasheet

Lets assume Goebbels is german.
He wants to do so without giving up his job. this means he can get 2 weeks off, in eu, this seems to be standard?

DE > Japan > DE = 800 euro
Hostel-food-travel expenses (not partying, not dating, not doing anything fun) = 100 eu per day x 14 days = 1400 euro

2000 euro for 2 weeks in Japan.

Quote: (03-16-2018 11:16 PM)Stakes Is High Wrote:  

Lets assume Goebbels is german.
He wants to do so without giving up his job. this means he can get 2 weeks off, in eu, this seems to be standard?

By law, every country in the European Union mandates at least four work weeks of paid vacation. Every time I visit Europe people ask whether it is really true that Americans only get a base of two weeks of vacation time per year, as if it is some kind of horrific urban legend that they have difficulty believing.

Right, in the US, two weeks means there is immense pressure against trying to take 2 weeks in one go. In EU, with 1 month total, we can assume he could take 2 weeks..

This comes into play because you get more value for money with a longer trip, as the one time price of airfare is fixed whether 1 day or 10 months.

Check out the book Vagabonding for some ideas

Will have to get creative

New Post:
Men’s Style Guide: For Guys Who Want to Get Laid

You aren't getting laid because you still believe in "game".

Here's how I went from being a 21-year-old, videogame-addicted, Asian virgin to banging too many girls to count (no PUA bs):

https://whiteknightrises.com/start-here

BTC: 1A5WUGDNGnsxGJ62CXadV6T2oapKfFu4T3
ETH: 0x9019d135dD1FFA06f0CC53C5942cBce806a943dd

(If I miss your reply PM me)

Thanks to everybody who took the time to respond. There are some great leads here.

And, yes, I am of German descent, but an American citizen born and bred.

Quote: (03-16-2018 11:54 PM)Tail Gunner Wrote:  

By law, every country in the European Union mandates at least four work weeks of paid vacation. Every time I visit Europe people ask whether it is really true that Americans only get a base of two weeks of vacation time per year, as if it is some kind of horrific urban legend that they have difficulty believing.

Its usually closer to 6 weeks legal minimum in Europe, when paid public holidays are accounted for. Its 7 or 8 weeks leave in some European countries. Versus 0 days a year in the US - ten days leave is something only some companies "generously" provide. Its not a legal requirement. It might not be an urban legend but the US holiday leave allowance is genuinely horrifying to most non-Americans.

6-8 weeks a year not spent in work makes an absolutely huge difference to someone's life, both in terms of travel and in quality time with your family, at any age. OP if you've got an EU passport you should consider moving to Europe, it would give you far more ability to travel.