rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

What do airlines consider "oversize" luggage?

I have traveled with a military-style duffle bag since 1996. I checked in with Aero Mexico and learned that it is "oversize." It was the first time this had been an issue. They cut me a break and allowed it.

They said it was too big because it was 62 inches long. Their limit is apparently 52 inches.

I had a close call with the bag at Christmas on Southwest. It was about two pounds under their 45-pound limit. Fortunately, there was no charge. I was carrying a lot of paperwork.

I am flying back on Aeromar and Interjet. Do I need to be worried? Should I ship stuff back? Should I try to break it up into two bags?

What is considered "oversize" luggage? Anyone have experiences like this?

My trip is from San Antonio to Acapulco. Thanks

Quote: (02-11-2018 01:41 PM)puckerman Wrote:  

What is considered "oversize" luggage?
Anything that doesn't fit into the airlines luggage guidelines in terms of size and weight.

Check with your airline before flying but most (EU) have a standard size of 55x40x20cm (or similar) and a weight of 7kg for hand luggage while hold luggage has a weight of 20kg however this can be more based on class of travel or status.

I wasn't inquiring about carry-on luggage. My general rule with that is that I don't take anything that won't fit under the seat.

Many airlines understandably have weight limits. A size limit is a new thing to me.

I used to travel with a large Samsonite, weighing up to 30kg. It hasn't flown for some time. On a related note, there was a time when no-one cared if you went a few kg over the limit.

I think it varies by airline, but not all oversize luggage is not allowed. Think about surfboards, golf clubs, rifle cases, etc. They're oversize, but are pretty commonly carried by airlines. Weight, in the US, is cut off at 100 lbs. I think it's a baggage handler union thing. It doesn't matter what it is, but 100 lbs. is the absolute limit.

In regards to dimensions, I did a quick search of 3 airlines and they were different, but all mentioned 62" linear.

Southwest: "Weight and Size Allowance. Southwest will accept the first two checked bags for free provided that the bags do not exceed 50 lbs and 62 inches (L+W+H). Overweight items from 51 to 100 pounds and oversized items in excess of 62 inches but not more than 80 inches will be accepted for a charge of $75.00 per item one-way."

Delta: On military orders, your bags can be 80 inches (total length + width + height)
For personal travel, your bags can be 62 inches (total length + width + height)

United: Customers who travel with checked baggage exceeding 62 linear inches (158 cm) (total length + width + height) will be required to pay a service charge per bag or item, based on the itinerary. To determine service charges for oversized baggage for your trip, use our baggage calculator, and after your results are displayed, check the box for “Additional and other bag charges.” These service charges are in addition to any charge assessed for additional or overweight baggage. Baggage measuring more than 115 inches (292 cm) will not be accepted as checked baggage. View the Excess Baggage page for more information.

Quote: (02-11-2018 02:26 PM)puckerman Wrote:  

A size limit is a new thing to me.
It's probably a LCC policy, cabin luggage is usually done by weight not size as you can take all sorts in the hold. Just check with your airline.

i think they mean stuff like surf boards etc.

The largest luggages out there in main stream manufactures are probably around 82cm these days. It can be bigger, but rare.

Each airline is different. For weight I found most places you have to pay extra for anything over 20kg. A simple google search reveals many sites that have every airlines info on condensed on one page.

I have traveled with a military-style duffle bag since 1996. I checked in with Aero Mexico and learned that it is "oversize." It was the first time this had been an issue. They cut me a break and allowed it.

They said it was too big because it was 62 inches long. Their limit is apparently 52 inches.

I had a close call with the bag at Christmas on Southwest. It was about two pounds under their 45-pound limit. Fortunately, there was no charge. I was carrying a lot of paperwork.

I am flying back on Aeromar and Interjet. Do I need to be worried? Should I ship stuff back? Should I try to break it up into two bags?

What is considered "oversize" luggage? Anyone have experiences like this?

I doubt very much that the limit was "62 inches long." The standard limit industry-wide is 62 total inches (HxWxD). Every airlines has a web page devoted to luggage limits. I never fly without checking it -- and usually check it BEFORE I buy my airline ticket to avoid any nasty surprises. I assumed everyone else did, too. Here is a carry-on luggage chart for most of the airlines:

https://www.luggagepros.com/travel/carry-on.shtml

Quote:Quote:

The most common maximum size bag allowed is 62 linear (total) inches. A common size bag for checking through is: 27" x 21" x 14".

Southwest apparently has never enforced this L*W*H limit. The duffle bag has flown with them many times. Southwest doesn't charge anything for bags either.

I called the other two airlines I am flying back on. They have weight limits of 25 kg. They said nothing about size.

I don't see that many people carrying a duffle bag to the airport these days. It does make me wonder if I should just try to travel lighter.

Why would you want to carry a duffle bag around anyway? It's much easier to take something through the airport that has wheels and if you must have a big that can be carried, a travel backpack will be much more comfortable.

I'm the King of Beijing!

Quote: (02-12-2018 01:06 AM)puckerman Wrote:  

Southwest apparently has never enforced this L*W*H limit. The duffle bag has flown with them many times. Southwest doesn't charge anything for bags either.

I always try to travel with only a carry-on bag, but after reading about United Airline's strict carry-on policy I decided to check a bag last year when flying internationally, rather than risk the uncertainty and the possible high cost of checking a bag at the last minute. Many airlines are beginning to enforce their size limitations.

https://thepointsguy.com/2014/03/uniteds...to-effect/

Some enforcement changes have occurred because the airlines generally suck, but some of these enforcement changes have occurred because humans suck -- and take advantage of the lax enforcement. People no longer have any sense of honor. LL Bean just discontinued its 100 percent satisfaction guarantee, which it maintained for more than a century. LL Bean had to change because people changed -- and not for the better.

Quote:Quote:

The outdoor specialty retailer said returns of items that have been destroyed or rendered useless, including some purchased at thrift stores or retrieved from trash bins, have doubled in the past five years, surpassing the annual revenue from the company's famous boot.

"The numbers are staggering," CEO Steve Smith told The Associated Press. "It's not sustainable from a business perspective. It's not reasonable. And it's not fair to our customers."

L.L. Bean announced Friday that it will now accept returns for any reason only for one year with proof of purchase. It will continue to replace products for manufacturing defects beyond that.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/02/09/ll-bean-...olicy.html

In Europe and Asia this kind of enforcement is more prevalent among the discount airlines.

I won't fly on Ryanair, AirBaltic, AirAsia, etc because of that. It makes for a shitty customer experience.

Looks like the US airlines are starting to do it.

In the U.S. you typically get charged extra over 50 lbs, and I think in Europe its 25 lbs.

Mexican budget airlines have tightened the luggage limits compared to a few years ago. There are different ticket pricing tiers depending on your luggage allowance, so they're trying to entice you into upgrading. Just read the fine print on their site or call (English spoken). Don't assume there is tolerance. Last year they actually weighed my carry-on luggage, a first. On a different flight/airline, they made me check a suitcase (no extra charge) that I had been carrying on for a decade.

Quote: (02-12-2018 03:13 AM)Suits Wrote:  

Why would you want to carry a duffle bag around anyway? It's much easier to take something through the airport that has wheels and if you must have a big that can be carried, a travel backpack will be much more comfortable.

A duffle bag is bigger and can hold more stuff.
It also has some flexibility. Everyone of these bags-on-wheels is hard. A duffle bag can be manipulated into the space you have left.
It has a shoulder strap, and I like it.
It has lasted longer. I can easily throw it into the wash.

Slightly off topic but have guys had any problems with a lightbox/sunlamp in their luggage? As in LOZ's thread thread-39799.html

Might be the only one of my belongings which I might have trouble bringing. I was on a domestic flight a few years ago and couldn't bring a torch because it had a lead acid battery.