rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

I spend about 3 weeks solo in Tashkent in august. I’m a okay looking white guy, 30’s with minimal Russian (listened to Pimsleur Russian audio courses for a while before going there). For some reason lots of people there thought I was from Tunesia, Lebanon or something. In Europe nobody thinks this. I guess the Muslim girls wanted me to be one of their own.

I had a good time there and recommend it. But to get the most out of your trip, a decent level of Russian is required. If not you will not have half the good time you could have had.

About Tashkent

It is the biggest city in Central Asia with over 2 million people. It’s a very clean and safe city. There’s police everywhere and people are very nice. There’s kind of a Middle Eastern atmosphere which is lively and chaotic combined with an FSU vibe. I came from Kazakhstan before and the difference was very big. Kazakhstan just has a standard FSU vibe and was rather plain compared to Tashkent.

It can get very hot. 40°c is not uncommon in summer. There are fountains all over the city and all the buildings are air conditioned which make the heat bearable. The architecture is based on soviet central planning; wide lanes, big apartment buildings, lots of parks and big squares with even bigger statues. But it has some Middle Eastern influences in it’s architecture which makes it less bland than other FSU cities.

There are not many sights but there is a nice open air market (bazaar), some impressive government buildings, an amusement park in typical FSU style and thankfully there was an aqua park to chill out during the hottest hours of the day. One hour outside of the city there is a lake (Lake Charvak) which looked good from a far but nearby not so. The beach was too crowded, the stones hurt my feet and everybody just throws their garbage on the beach which makes it a very dirty place. They have jet ski’s paragliding, little boats... all for a very reasonable price.

The people are very friendly and it’s easy to meet people. Most don’t have money and many experience difficulties in life. They hide it well but you can see for example a group of girls that drink one beer with a straw all night or even no drink at all. If you want to give them a drink they sometimes don’t want it.

So they are proud and have a positive attitude and they all want to show you their best and make sure you have a good time. Hospitality is not a hollow word there. However I was not on the same wavelength as the local Uzbek guys. It’s hard to describe but it’s like they don’t have any imagination or creativity. I preferred the company or Russian or Russified Uzbek's more.

There are almost no Western tourists and the ones that go there don’t stay in Tashkent for more than a few days. Most come here as cultural tourists to visit sites along the silk route or are backpackers types that want to climb mountains and do other nature related stuff. So for us love tourists, there’s little competition and girls are not suspicious. People are very interested and you will be very exotic for the locals.

Food is cheap but good. They eat lots of meat(shaslik) and also have horse meat. I even tried dog in a Korean restaurant. Although I didn’t know it was dog before tasting it. In restaurants they always make fresh noodles and fresh bread. There is a reasonable amount of variety in fresh fruits and vegetables. So eating healthy isn’t hard there. The most famous food is plov, which is rice with horse meat and vegetables. I didn’t like it, but did like the noodles. What’s good is that most restaurants have a menu with pictures so I kind of new what I was getting. They have a special kind of smoked cheese which was good when drinking and they have some kind of fermented horse milk balls but they aren’t good.

Transportation is cheap and easy. You can wave your hand on the street and within a minute a guy will stop and drive you anywhere you want for lets say 1 or 2 dollars, after some haggling of course. Traffic is not very safe and a lot of cars don’t have seat bealts in the back. I saw 4 car accidents during my time and I saw an old lady getting run over by a car. She was still alive but it was not a nice site to see. I hope she’s okay now. So watch out when crossing a street and put your seat belt on, even if the driver doesn’t want you too. :-)

They also have a beautiful and old metro system but I didn’t understand the routes so only took it twice while being with locals. It’s wort a visit if you’re around and only costs a couple of cents.

Accommodation varies in price. There are cheap 10 dollar hostels, Airbnb is reasonably priced but there are also hotel rooms that go for 200. Nightlife is also not very expensive. The most I spend one night was 100 dollar. But that’s because I ordered 2 bottles of quality vodka, many shots and some food in the most expensive place (Katakomba) in town for me, a Russian buddy and some girls we met there. But with 20 dollars in your pocket you can have a good time with taxi rides, good quality food and drinks for an evening.

The currency got devaluated a lot and as a result the paper bills aren’t worth anything. If you change 100 dollars you get a very big stack of paper. If you change do it at the black market. Pretty much anyone can help you with this and no one tried to rip me off. And ask for 10000 or 5000 bills. If you get the 1000’s you will need a small backpack as your wallet. I had that problem and walked around with a cheap plastic bag filled with money the next days.

What is good for foreigners but very bad for locals, is that you can get dollars out of the ATM’s, than change them for black market rate which is double the official one. So you can double your money. Locals however are not allowed to have access to dollars and have to get by with their own severely devaluated money.

You are also not allowed to take away more money than you declared when you arrived. I didn’t fill out the declaration paper in a correct way and had to smuggle a couple hundred dollars over the boarder. It’s not that they will check all your bags, but it’s better to declare what you bring in to stay out of trouble.

Something funny was that all the cars were from only 2 brands apart fro the old Lada’s: Chevrolet and Daewoo, and most of the cars where white. This is because of high import taxes which protect the car factories in their country.

Also strange was that on the countryside they build the exact same type of house everywhere. So you can see a street with 200 of the same houses in the middle of nowhere on one side of the country and find exact the same on the other side of Uzbekistan.

For some reason everyone smokes in Uzbekistan. It's hard to find any guy that doesn't smoke and with girls it's about 50/50. It's very strange because in neighbouring countries almost nobody smokes.

I visited all the capitals in Central Asia, except in Turkmenistan and visited other 2nd tier cities and Tashkent wins by a gig margin over all of them. Tajikistan is too conservative, people have no money to go out but has the nicest people, Kyrgyz people are not friendly or outgoing and girls don’t look good. Astana and Almaty in Kazakhstan don’t have the same fun vibe and locals are a lot less friendly. Girls are also okay though, still less diverse.

The more Turkic people in Central Asia are always more fun, outgoing and friendly (Uzbek, Tajik). The Asian guys (Kazach, Kyrgyz) over there aren’t up for a good time and most, not all off the Asian girls like to stick to their own kind. The Russians are more friendly than in Russia and are always up for a good time.

Girls

The people are a mix of about everything from the FSU. There’s Russified Koreans, Russians, Georgians, Turkish looking people like Tajiks and the Uzbeks themselves sometimes looks vary between Turkish and Central Asian (similar to Mongols). There’s also a lot of mixing going on. I met some girls from Kazan and they were my favorites looks wise. So a very diverse place and lots of good looking, feminine, stylish girls. However most are conservative and casual hook ups are not very common.

I had 2 girls there. One Tajik and one Russian. The Russian, late 20’s fake blonde, blue eyed girl with long legs and a big rack. She was a fun loving party girl. I met her in a nightclub and her boyfriend was a bouncer in that place, So I kept it subtle while talking to her. So I got her number and set up a date later. Her English was not that good and the conversations were very basic. I met her a couple of times after and she was easy going and fun and was definitely good in bed.

The Tajik was also late 20’s and very beautiful. Black silky hair, caramel skin, small nose, light green eyes, skinny model looking body and very good and feminine style. Again, very little English. I was looking at her while drunk, sitting in a cafe. and kind of fell in love with this dark skinned, light eyes exotic barbie princess. So being all impressed I walked up to a group of girls sitting at a table. At the end of the night she invited me to her place. She had one child but her body didn’t show it and was on vacation from another Uzbek city. She just got divorced and wanted to have a good time.

This girl made me curious about Tajikistan, so I ended up there after visiting some silk route sights on the way. Unfortunately, she was an exception and most Tajik girls didn’t look as good as her (still many are good looking) and were way too conservative.

The nice thing about these girls was that they didn’t expect anything from me. They just wanted sex and a good time before returning to their normal life. They never hinted for money or a relationship. In general girls were not demanding. It’s not like they wanted to escape their country or saw me as an ATM machine.

I pipelined with Mamba but didn’t like it. It takes too long before the girls respond and the level of English is too low. So I didn’t meet anyone through this. Tinder was better and had a decent amount of English speaking girls. But after swiping a couple of times, there were no more new girls. But almost all of them swiped me back, so I had enough girls to meet.

I met 3 girls of Tinder but again, very conservative. One was 19 and said she was still a virgin. I don’t know if she was lying though, she was kind of cheeky and naughty but her parents were constantly calling her to she what she was up too. Kind of annoying when making out and she suddenly has to go home :-(. I hanged out with her a couple of times but besides some kissing and touching nothing happened. The other was a blonde Asian and I think my new fetish are blonde Asians :-) and the last one was an also good looking Tatar girl.

I did some day game approaches (not too many) and the girls were friendly, I couldn’t have a real conversation so apart from 2 numbers, nothing happened. I should have done more because this city is very good for day game in the evening when it cools down. Everybody goes outside to hang out near fountains, parks and a central street. I just found it hard to get into social mode when being alone. I also never day game in my own country.

Instead I tried to create some social circles because that’s where you can find the best quality girls. This approach had mixed results but I had some cool experiences, still I didn’t get laid because of this. All you need to do is go sit at a bar, look around and people will get curious about you.

I met one group of rich and wannabe rich Uzbek guys and they had the beautiful girls around them. They showed me their Instagram and the girls that are available for P4P. So that Dubai porty potty thing was also going on here. Still seeing them a couple of times, I got tired of them. They were too much into showing off, acted like every girl is a whore and the P4P was not really cool.

I met some guys from Kazan one night and got drunk with them. They took me to an underground strip club 30 minutes from the center and they paid for everything. I’m not cheap so I don’t mind paying but they really insisted. It’s cool to have one girl massaging my back, while another is dancing on my lap. Anyway, really laid back and friendly guys.

I met a business guy from Afghanistan in my hotel who had a girlfriend there. He was a bad wing because he was jealous when I went talking to girls. He also had another Afghan friend and seeing that guy hit on girls was pretty bad. Asking the password of a girl he met 1 minute ago to see if she wasn’t talking to other guys and stuff like that. So after a while I left and went out alone. I felt bad for those girls because that guy was kind of rapey. But they were in public so it was still safe.

I met some Russian guys that were cool. They drank too much vodka and drank it all the time, even in the morning. They did introduce me to some girls but they weren’t that good looking and I didn’t go all the way to Uzbekistan just to get the same girls I can find in my own country. Still very nice people.

To conclude, getting girls in Tashkent is not very easy if you don’t speak Russian. It takes time there and girls want a relationship, which I respect. So If you are looking for an LTR, this is a very good place, at least if you speak Russian and understand the culture somewhat. If not I wouldn’t recommend it. The easiest girls for me where the ones that are a bit older and like to go out at night. The younger ones and the ones that don’t go out, are a lot harder. A big plus was that younger girls didn’t have any hangups about an age gap.

Accommodation

To go to Uzbekistan, you do not only need a visa, which is easy to get, but you also need to get registered in a hotel or hostel every night. Unfortunately hotels are not girl friendly and conservative girls just don’t like to meet guys they just met in hotel rooms. You can still get a private apartment and get registered in 2 ways. The first is to buy the registration from some people, the second is to book a cheap hostel. I got some telephone numbers through Sportbilly, a member that went there before me, to get a registration. Thanks again for the numbers :-).

I called them and some other numbers I got from a guy at the desk of my hotel and after some haggling someone wanted to arrange this for 13 dollars per night. But I didn’t take the offer. I checked some hostels and for around the same price I could have a bed and registration. So after booking the hostel, I booked an Airbnb. I took the hostel because I already spent 2 days in a hotel and felt lonely. I walked around the city alone and didn’t have anything going for me yet. In a hostel there’s always some people to talk to.

So I spend around half the time in the hostel and the other in my apartment. This worked out fine, only they did started to complain after I didn’t sleep there 2 nights in a row. But it was not a big problem, as long as they got paid.

My first hotel was named Hotel Uzbekistan. I booked it because it looked like an old, very big soviet style hotel, which seemed cool at the time and also because it was right next to Amur Timur square, which is right in the city center. It was not a good place: bad breakfast, most other tourists were Indian guys on some kind of tour. I guess they were on a p4p holiday or something, they also asked me if I wanted a girl in my room, it had bad wifi and bad air conditioning. All in all a somewhat seedy place and for 75 dollars a night, you can get something better.

My hostel and apartment were a little bit further away from Amur Timur square but it was okay because the city is spread out anyway and taxi are cheap. Combined I paid about 40 dollars per night.

Where to go?

The city is spread out and day game is good anywhere in the center. There are pretty girls hanging around everywhere. In the evening lots of people go to a street the locals call Broadway. It’s a cool street next to Amur Timur square and has some carnival like activities like paying to throw a basketball through a hoop, they rent out bicycles, there’s a slide, some street food, a fountain, music through speakers and nice lightning to enhance the atmosphere. When it’s too warm a trip to the aqua park or a pool from a hotel are good options. There’s a mall but it was small. People prefer to buy their things in shops on the streets.

There aren’t many nightlife venues for a city of this size and the ratio’s are also not good. Remember that this is still a Muslim majority country.

Around Amur Timor square there is one striptease bar but they wanted to overcharge me, so I only stayed there about 10 minutes. There’s also a rock bar around the corner called Bar Dack which was good to have a drink but nothing more. There’s also a big fast food restaurant and in the evening lots of young girls hang out in front of it or go eat something. I did some approaches there and was well received.

I went to a Karaoke place during the day and they rented a private rooms for singing while on a date. I never went to a place like this and liked it. Apparently there are more of these places around the city.

There’s an area called Kiyot which has 2 clubs and a lounge bar. The first nightclub is called Aurum. I didn’t like it because all the girls were pro’s. I did go there on a weekday so maybe it’s better in the weekend. The second on is called Cinzano. This is the biggest place in town and expensive by local standards. It’s an outdoor venue. There are 2 bars, a dance floor, quiet places to sit down. The logistics were on point and the atmosphere was very good in the weekends. During the week it was quieter but still open. Still its possible that no one is there.

The lounge bar is called Brasserie and was good to sit, eat and smoke shishah. You can meet girls and they are receptive but you need to walk up to their table. Guys there really like shishah. They can just sit there all night with some other guys. But for me it’s too boring. A 2 minute taxi ride from that area takes you to a small club called SMI. I didn’t like it very much and think there was some P4P going on there but I’m not sure.

On the other side of the city near the TV tower there’s a small club called Like Bar. It was the only place with people every night. It was less upscale than Cinzano and a lot smaller. All girls I saw were already accompanied by guys, so nothing happened there for me.

The fanciest place was Katakomba. This was an outdoor club on the edge of a small lake with a very big fountain lit with pink and blue colors. It was a good place but the girls were definitely not the hottest. Cinzano was better. This was mostly an older crowd and some of the girls gave a golddiggerisch vibe. Girls also didn’t go there without the company of guys, so not an easy place to pull. Still I liked the vibe and the beautiful scenery of the place.

There’s a little bar called Elvis Bar and an Irish pub. These are the only places were I saw foreigners from Western countries besides the ones at my hostel. But those places are small and only good to get a drink.

There are other places but all off them were empty even during the weekend and I can’t remember their names. I don’t think I visited everything also. If you want to party with beautiful girls every day of the week, this is not the right place. Nightlife in Russia or Ukraine is a lot better. It has better ratio’s, more choice in venues and more naughty girls. But what you can get in Tashkent is being surrounded by beautiful, diverse looking and conservative girls that look for a relationship.

That’s it!

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Good sheet. Would agree on experience that a good or better level of Russian is required for good success here.

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

@MidnightCowboy, +1 from me for the great datasheet! A question though is how did you manage to keep yourself occupied for 3 whole weeks since you mentioned you did not do many touristy activities such as going with backpacker tourists from the hostel into mountains or visiting silk route destinations. I assume just going to the pubs/clubs must get boring soon, especially when there is a language barrier with the locals?

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

I was under the impression that many of the FSU Central Asian countries are trying to push their local language, it's good to hear that with Russian you can still communicate with everyone.

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Should give the afghan tips. Less creepy guys the more safe gurls will feel and be open to approaches.
Like girls in prague and oslo are more chatty then those in kabul or nairobi.
But you made a good point with conservative girls like muslims or indians etc. If they are interested they want you as one of them otherwise if not its "what a waste or shame". Nationalism is strong there and not foreigner friendly.
But you found your nuche with the singke mom and westernized liberal girls.

Almost feels like we go overseas to bang western lite girls. If obesity wasnt an issue here no need for travel unless youre alpha. But hey gotta be one here before going to harder cultures.

Nicely done you should try ukraine next

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Apoerntly they are pushing it but its only well educated rich city people that know russian in central asia. So itll be harder to get by. Plus many ethnic russians are leaving and going back to russia (thanx to putin) so thats only gonna speed up the process.
Had a rich buddy from Kazakhstan back in the day filling me in
In 10-20 yrs i think itll change quite a bit

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Quote: (10-08-2017 03:23 PM)Newguy101 Wrote:  

Apoerntly they are pushing it but its only well educated rich city people that know russian in central asia. So itll be harder to get by. Plus many ethnic russians are leaving and going back to russia (thanx to putin) so thats only gonna speed up the process.

So I guess for the Russian speakers better to hit Central Asia sooner than later while their language skills are still useful.

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Quote: (10-22-2017 12:04 PM)Arado Wrote:  

Quote: (10-08-2017 03:23 PM)Newguy101 Wrote:  

So I guess for the Russian speakers better to hit Central Asia sooner than later while their language skills are still useful.

I think you'll have plenty of time before that happens. Russian is everywhere, some Ethnic Uzbeks don't even speak their own language in Tashkent. Outside the city the Russian levels are probably lower. Almost no one speaks English in Uzbekistan, also young people and rich or educated people. For example, I kind of talked to the daugher of the president Of Kyrgyzistan and apart from some words, did not spoke any English. I think Kazachstan has the most English speakers but still, those are far and few in between.

And yes many people Russians left and many more will leave Uzbekistan. There's also a lot of ethnic Koreans that try to get in Korea. Volga Germans that went to Germany,... If I lived there I would want to get out.

I think in the future Islamic influence will get stronger because of Saoudi's are spending money to spread their salafistic ideology. And maybe more Chinese influence. But for now and the next decades, Russia will stay number 1.

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Any idea if its worth going to during Eid? Are clubs and bars totally dead like a lot majority Muslim cities?

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Curious about this exchange rate thing...

So you take USD out of the ATM, take it to an exchange, and then they give you double the official exchange rate for the Som because they can't access dollars there?

What was stopping you from getting a shitload of SOM and converting to back to dollars outside of the country to double your money?

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Quote: (04-23-2019 05:14 AM)Loveless Wrote:  

Any idea if its worth going to during Eid? Are clubs and bars totally dead like a lot majority Muslim cities?

Even though a decent amount of the people living there are conservative and religious, the country is officially secular. From what I understood, Ramadan is not observed and barely anybody cares to practice it, especially in Tashkent. Everything will be open and it should appear almost completely normal. When I was there, I noticed that the most popular nightlife spots had more Russian's than Uzbek's, and they are more open minded/secular, so you should be OK. Most of the conservative and religious girls would be hard to snatch anyways for you since you're a foreigner, so going during the Eid could potentially act as a good filter since the secular girls would be more likely to go out drinking anyways during that time.

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Quote: (04-23-2019 10:40 AM)ArloDash Wrote:  

Curious about this exchange rate thing...

So you take USD out of the ATM, take it to an exchange, and then they give you double the official exchange rate for the Som because they can't access dollars there?

What was stopping you from getting a shitload of SOM and converting to back to dollars outside of the country to double your money?

The new president got rid of the currency black markets. The new official exchange rate is the former black market rate.

Tashkent - Uzbekistan

Interestingly enough, between 2017 (OP's post) and today the uzbek sum has plummeted :

[Image: attachment.jpg41682]   

There's now (since 2017) 10,000 and 50,000 sums banknotes BTW (when before, the biggest banknote was 1,000 sums and then 5,000 -- which was a pain in the ass).

In the 2019 Economist Intelligence Unit Worldwide Cost of Living Survey, Tashkent ranks 131st out of 133 : https://www.df.cl/noticias/site/artic/20...eporte.pdf