rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Help, poor memory and general knowledge

I have no idea where I want to actually put this, but it's become a massive insecurity for me and I could do with a vent.

For almost as long as I can remember, I've always been somewhat lacking in intelligence, in certain areas. At least, I've always been plagued by insecurity that I'm not intelligent enough. I always get scared that other people will see through me. They will see I'm not as intelligent as them and judge me.

And it becomes perhaps a vicious cycle; of not feeling like I have a good enough memory, of not feeling 'sharp' enough to have great wit, and feeling that I don't know enough about the world. My general knowledge is poor, almost pathetic considered I went to a top UK university to study History.

I think there is so much pressure on wearing the right clothes, going out, and so on and yet, our memory and knowledge should be the most important thing. At least, equally ranked compared to dress sense and for example going out to dinner or for the movies. Perhaps this is just a self admission of where my own self priorities should be. I realize that having good knowledge about the world -being a more informed person- makes the world much more enriching, it also makes you more confident in your own views, knowing what you say is informed and tested, that you have researched topics. It makes you a more interesting person, to be a learned man, to be a scholar. It makes your conversations more interesting and leaves a positive mark on others.

I suppose I've found it difficult to 'find' the time to continue to read in areas such as history and general knowledge areas like science or geography, alongside a full time job, a social life, and everything else in the five years since leaving university.

Yet, I consider it a great personal failing to lack a strong general knowledge at this point in time (27). The problem is, I have read a lot in the past, I have studied, learnt history. I passed with good grades. According to my grades, I'm intelligent. I understand complex debates. But, you know what my biggest problem is ? I seem to forget it all. All the books I read, all the dates, and names of famous politicians, battles, treaties. It's all gone from my mind. Probably not 'all' but a great deal. I know a smattering of everything, but I have no confidence In any particular area.

What seems strange is that when I compare myself to some very intelligent men in my life, my father for example and other father figures, they have such an impressive memory recall. My father just knows so much about the world, and he can keep up with any TV general knowledge quiz. He doesn't have to 'try' and remember, he just seemingly does. In his late sixties. History, science, classical music, literature. He seems to know everything about the world.

I can read a book, but I feel unless I take notes, and constantly go back, I'll forgot all the knowledge. All the dates, places, locations, names. It makes me feel so lacking in confidence.

Perhaps I could start by looking at building an expertise in several areas. For example: British and American politics and history over the past 200 years. Big area, of course, but I need to start with some focus areas, otherwise trying to know everything about the world all at once would be like trying to paint a billion houses with 1 paint brush. Better to paint one house at a time metaphorically speaking.

Without being informed on the world, without having precise knowledge of accuracy my ideas and concepts are uninformed and blunt, and patchy. And my lack of confidence and insecurity continues.

I suppose the obvious way to improve
- spend more time reading and researching to build general knowledge. Take occasional notes.
- it goes without says no I guess, I can't complain to be lacks me in knowledge without actually increasing my knowledge.
- stop drinking alcohol as my memory is very poor at the moment and I know it's had a knock on effect on my cognition,
- pick two or three areas to learn about inside out and have a knowledge 'confidence' or expertise in, to learn in a more structured logical way

If any of you have any more ideas for advice either about how you gain knowledge and retain it, ideas for a better memory retention, supplements or similar issues I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks for reading !

I'm confused as to what you're trying to solve here.

Are you an academic who has hit a road block and are rationalizing it away as, "i'm an idiot" ?

What do you feel stupid in? You sound like an academic who is having anxiety about being super intelligent in a narrow field of academic study (history).

If this is the case, why don't you take up a hobby where you work with you hands. Take a wood shop class, fix a car, cook dinner. You know, normal people stuff.

If you like taking classes there should be adult education classes out there that can help. Just pull your head out of the books and do a group activity.

Quote: (12-10-2016 07:30 AM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

I'm confused as to what you're trying to solve here.

Are you an academic who has hit a road block and are rationalizing it away as, "i'm an idiot" ?

What do you feel stupid in? You sound like an academic who is having anxiety about being super intelligent in a narrow field of academic study (history).

If this is the case, why don't you take up a hobby where you work with you hands. Take a wood shop class, fix a car, cook dinner. You know, normal people stuff.

If you like taking classes there should be adult education classes out there that can help. Just pull your head out of the books and do a group activity.

I should have been a bit more specific. I work in sales, not an academic field.

I suppose I just have a neurotic fear of not being intelligent enough. And I wanted to just vent about it. Like I said, I would like to have a better general knowledge about the world, history, politics and economics and so on.

I think I probably do need to 'get out of my own head' more though. I'm planning to do some acting classes next year as a first step to developing more presence and confidence.

I think a lot of my problem is a confidence problem, a lack of conviction, a lack of presence, but having better general knowledge and working memory/memory recall would certainly help.

Find one subject, hobby, music or sport that you are passionate about and immerse yourself in it.

Examples are a football team, a type off sporstcar, italian scooter rebuild, beekeeping, a band.

You then have a subject in which you are an expert and always have something to talk about. And know more than others around to give you that boost of confidence.

The important point is having a passion for it.

A past post cover it as well:
Quote: (02-07-2016 01:58 AM)TooFineAPoint Wrote:  

Welcome. I hope you find some actionable advice here that helps you begin walking a more fulfilling path. To be a male in his 30s can mean access to and highest level of attraction generated in the most diverse section of beautiful women.

My angle would be, instead of focusing on not giving a fuck about things (your ZFG), find one or two things you are earnest and passionate about that don't involve the validation of anyone but yourself. Just take care that these do not descend into navel-gazing hobbies like staying inside and playing video games.

OP, it's important to realize the negative impact stress can have on memory function. I suspect it might help you to find a hobby you really enjoy, maybe something that will help you relax. Perhaps if you stop putting as much pressure on yourself, you might find you've been selling yourself short and anxiety's just been getting the best of you.

Ive never met an idiot who introspected that way. You probably have an insecurity rather than a lack of ability.

Yeah sounds like insecurity. And remember there will always be someone who knows more than you do. Just be gracious and try to learn what you can from them. Personally I think everyone has a special talent it's just that some are more obvious than others or people get fixated on what they're not good at and forget about what they are.

You are clearly articulate in the way you write, so I doubt that you are not intelligent.

In any case, worrying about being intelligent is not something stupid people do. Only intelligent people seem to ever worry about their intelligence; stupid people just dumbly plow through, calling everyone else an idiot.

Your memory lapses sound like they are due to lifestyle issues. Are you eating well? Are you sleeping enough? Are you exercising?

I agree on cutting out the alcohol.

Otherwise, whenever I personally have struggled to remember something, I have tried to get plus-minus 3 different sources on the same topic. So to learn about a topic I'm struggling to memorise, I'd read 2 different textbook entries, and the wikipedia page, and maybe a scientific article. Reading about the same topic from different sources gives you a lot of instant insight that you wouldn't get from simply rereading one source over and over. And it's the insight that is important, not the mere repetition of facts.

Quote: (12-10-2016 07:15 AM)Georges89 Wrote:  

I have no idea where I want to actually put this, but it's become a massive insecurity for me and I could do with a vent.

For almost as long as I can remember, I've always been somewhat lacking in intelligence, in certain areas. At least, I've always been plagued by insecurity that I'm not intelligent enough. I always get scared that other people will see through me. They will see I'm not as intelligent as them and judge me.

What seems strange is that when I compare myself to some very intelligent men in my life, my father for example and other father figures, they have such an impressive memory recall. My father just knows so much about the world, and he can keep up with any TV general knowledge quiz. He doesn't have to 'try' and remember, he just seemingly does. In his late sixties. History, science, classical music, literature. He seems to know everything about the world.

Same here. Big insecurity regarding my intelligence for years and years, and like short guys who get into fights with bigger guys to prove themselves, I found myself getting into online debates and trying to win. I did okay actually, and no longer need to prove anything. Sometimes I will argue hard just because I'm pissed-off, or am passionate about the subject.

So, here's a couple of cheap tricks. Talk fast. I talk slowly, because I'm thoughtful. My rhythm is very much like Rooshs'. It's hilarious because if you speak quickly people will perceive you as smarter. This takes practice like anything, just getting your mouth and tongue in shape to get the words out.

Two. Your insecurity is probably related to experiencing your father as better than you because he has an excellent memory, which I've found intelligent people seem to possess, but take rappers who are not educated formally as one example, some of them can talk circles around people much more intelligent than them because they are practicing speaking fast and rhythmically. Practice spitting out your thoughts as fast as you can as you walk down the street, it might help.