rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Vinny's Russian language assistance thread

I want to start this thread where anyone of you who is learning Russian or is currently in a Russian speaking country can ask me (a native speaker) for advice.
I am not a teacher, but learning languages is my hobby (I can speak 4) so I believe I can help.

Lets say you have translated a sentence with google translate and can't be sure if this actually makes sense or sounds correct or not? Ask me here.

Is there something you can't translate using conventional means? Slang or swear words? Ask me here.

Began learning and can't understand some concept? Ask me here.

Can't understand a proverb? Ask me here.

Can't understand some cultural thing? Well you know what to do [Image: smile.gif]

Any question about the Russian Language I will be happy to answer in this thread. Ask anything that you think is relevant.
I might also be able to answer some of you questions regarding traveling to Russian speaking countries: Ukraine, Russia and Baltics.
If there is something I can't answer I am sure other members will chime in.

For the beginners in Russian here is how I learn languages.

Ask away!

P.S. Why am I creating a lot of threads recently:

When I am on vacation I barely have time to visit forum.
I am currently back to work which means I have a lot of time behind the computer. That allows me to catch up with my previous travels, write the sheets and share all the information and ideas I have stored up in my head.

Good stuff Vinny....

Saved for future use.

[Image: intervention.jpg]
I'm staging this intervention for your thread creating addiction.....

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Just read your language learning thread. Do you have any Russian TV shows you recommend?

Quote: (10-20-2016 04:03 AM)Cr33pin Wrote:  

I'm staging this intervention for your thread creating addiction.....

4 more weeks and I am off the work for a year, you won't see me much - I promise [Image: smile.gif]

@invictusiii: Well I never watched a lot of Russian series, probably cause I never needed to learn Russian.
But here is a list I found. Pretty decent one.

https://afisha.mail.ru/series/all/rus/

I will list fist 10 only here:

1. Кухня
Literal translation - kitchen. It is about a restaurant and what goes on in the kitchen. The mom of my ex was watching it so I had few glances. Pretty well made. Advised if you want to learn a Russian to run a restaurant. Also that is extremely popular among women. You will impress girls if you start talking about these series.
2. Мажор
Never heard of.
3. Физрук
About a sports teacher who is an ex criminal. Seen few episodes. Very popular, quite funny. Will help you learn slang words if you are interested, but it is trash for learning normal language.
4. Интерны
Russian remake of Scrubs - Extremely popular, quite funny. I have seen few episodes. Actually one of the main characters is an American doctor who lives in Russia. He is good at everything he does but is a nerd. A good one to watch and pretty addictive.
5. Ликвидация
This is classics. A good one. Based on a real story about criminal Odessa. Features famous Odessan accent. Advisable, but for those with better knowledge of Russian.
6. Бригада
Very controversial series from early 2000's. About a gang of criminals striving for power. The problem is that criminals are the good guys in series, that is why many people dislike it. I would say 70% of Russian speakers have seen this one.
7. Чернобыль: Зона отчуждения
Never heard of, but it is obviously about Chernobyl.
8. Молодежка
Never heard of.
9. Маша и Медведь
This is animation movie series. Pretty funny to watch. You can find episodes of it freely on youtube. There is a girl and a bear. The girl is crazy and it makes it funny. My advise to watch couple of episodes for those who are beginning to learn Russian.
10. Метод
Never heard of.

I wish someone would have created a same thread for Spanish language. I have so many questions for Spanish speakers...

Quote:Quote:

1. Кухня
Literal translation - kitchen. It is about a restaurant and what goes on in the kitchen. The mom of my ex was watching it so I had few glances. Pretty well made. Advised if you want to learn a Russian to run a restaurant. Also that is extremely popular among women. You will impress girls if you start talking about these series.

Had a date with a Ukrainian chick last night. Had her over and she suggested this show. Watched the first episode together. Pretty good stuff.

Here is a thing I remembered about foreigners and Russian language:

In Russian when you are politely addressing a young woman you say "devushka" - "девушка".
I commonly use this one my self as in "excuse me miss" - "девушка, прошу прощения".

Here is the problem. Most Turks and caucasians (from Caucasus) also like to use "devushka" but they pronounce it "дЭвушка" instead of "дЕвушка". They do it so much that if someone wants to parody a Turk that is the word they use.

What I found is that English speakers pronounce it exactly the same "дЭвушка". So if you want to avoid embarrassment, and especially if you are darker looking and don't wont to be confused for a Turk, avoid this word altogether or do your homework to distinguish differences between "Э" and "Е" (you can simply use google translate voicing option).

How do I best express the word shall in Russian?

For instance in the sentence: Shall I open the window?

Is it

Должен я открыть окно?

or rather

Могу ли я открыть окно?

I'm never sure about this because Должен is more like translated as have to/must, whilst Могу ли means can.

Vinny, where did you learn Russian?

Quote: (10-24-2016 02:24 PM)Lance McArthur Wrote:  

Is it

Должен я открыть окно?

or rather

Могу ли я открыть окно?

I'm never sure about this because Должен is more like translated as have to/must, whilst Могу ли means can.

I would use this one "Не открыть ли мне окно?" sounds best to my ear.

@sterling_archer: I am from EE. 1 of my grandparents was Russian, we used Russian in my family, although my parents new other EE languages. Complicated? That is how things were in FSU. People were moved around without consent. Nations got mixed up.
But there is a positive side. Genes were refreshed. That is why girls are so pretty.

What country are you from?

Quote: (10-24-2016 04:05 PM)sterling_archer Wrote:  

What country are you from?

I prefer to keep this private.

Quote: (10-24-2016 02:45 PM)Vinny Wrote:  

Quote: (10-24-2016 02:24 PM)Lance McArthur Wrote:  

Is it

Должен я открыть окно?

or rather

Могу ли я открыть окно?

I would use this one "Не открыть ли мне окно?" sounds best to my ear.

You might use, если вы не против, я открою окно

Good thread, thanks for starting it.

I understand the advantages of listening to radio and TV for listening comprehension purposes, but I'm not advanced enough yet to watch a TV series and to understand enough as I'd like, just as of yet.

Any suggestions on some series or anything related with subtitles in EN/RU?

Quote: (10-24-2016 04:19 PM)Going strong Wrote:  

You might use, если вы не против, я открою окно

Literal translation of "eсли вы не против, я открою окно" is "if you don't mind I will open the window".
Different meaning. But a correct sentence and usable in other context.
It is also not a question but a statement. The question version would be "Вы не против если я открою окно?"

@Reverze41: My opinion is that even if you manage to understand 1 word out of 5 you can already start watching series (preferably soap operas). As a kid you know no words yet you can still learn the language. Use that mechanism.
Hard for me to say as I never needed Russian subtitles. Many DVDs you might still have at home have choices of languages and subtitles. Check them out. At times you'll be able to watch an American movie with Russian dubbing and Russian subtitles. Or just download some Russian movies in DVD format and search for subtitles for deaf people.

Another option you can try. See the list of episodes I provided few posts above?
Copy the name of the episode and insert in this sentence:
Смотреть сериал (insert name) онлайн с субтитрами.
This means Watch series of (insert name) online with subtitles.

Do report on your progress.

I am new to Russian and have been using Duolingo as suggested by Vinny in his datasheet. Became a member of a local Russian expat group, so the door's open for a local immersion experience down the line.

Quote: (10-24-2016 11:01 AM)invictusiii Wrote:  

Had a date with a Ukrainian chick last night. Had her over and she suggested this show. Watched the first episode together. Pretty good stuff.

I've been watching this show as well-it's silly. There's a english subtitled version of Кухня Episode I on YouTube:

Noticed that the words for "please" and "you're welcome" are the same (пожалуйста), a multi-function word like "ciao" in Italian?

Спасибо Vinny!

-golden gun

Quote: (10-25-2016 10:44 AM)The Man w/ the Golden Gun Wrote:  

I am new to Russian and have been using Duolingo as suggested by Vinny in his datasheet.

Noticed that the words for "please" and "you're welcome" are the same (пожалуйста), a multi-function word like "ciao" in Italian?

Спасибо Vinny!

Пожалуйста, человек с золотым пистолетом.

Ask away if any questions arise in your progress of learning Russian.

Thanks Vinny - have been pounding away on Duolingo for a few months now, and just jumped into the Бригада series based on your advice - just going for it.

Quote: (10-25-2016 03:55 PM)reverze41 Wrote:  

Thanks Vinny - have been pounding away on Duolingo for a few months now, and just jumped into the Бригада series based on your advice - just going for it.

You are welcome.

Бригада is a good choice. Pretty interesting to watch. Also it depicts mess in Russia after fall of Soviet Union. Might not be the easiest to comprehend, but it will be entertaining. Probably the only series from this list that I have watched completely.

Protagonists are somewhat red pill. (spoiler alert) I remember there is a part when Cosmos arranges the whole team of water polo girls to attend a private party they are planning to have, and another guy Sasha Belij does not like it because female swimmers have broad shoulder. He protests "you should have went with rhythmic gymnastics team" [Image: biggrin.gif]

How to open a girl in Russian during the day?

A bit more difficult than in English as you have a choice, address a girl politely and formally "вы" (vy) or as you would address someone you already know "ты" (ty). There is some discussion among Russian speaking players on this subject, but I would say it is safe to go with polite "вы" and change to "ты" few minutes into conversation. This is nice as it is sort of verbal approval of familiarity on girls behalf.

Do however start directly with "ты" if a girl is much younger than you. 50 year old addressing a teenage girl on "вы" might seem ridiculous.

Some say opening with "ты" is more alpha, but in Russian culture being a gentleman does not contradict with being alpha IMHO.

Examples of openers:

Start with this to attract attention:
Devushka, proshu prosheniya (девушка, прошу прощения) - excuse me miss - generally accepted way to address a woman 18-30 to attract her attention. Address woman of any age "devushka" if woman is older it will flatter her. Make sure to say Е and not Э in the word девушка.
or this
Devushka?! (wait until she looks at you) smile and say zdravstvuyte.

Follow up with:

Indirect direct: After atracting attention. Start with explanation that you were merely walking by and go into compliment (tried myself, works well)
Ya shel mimo i vy privlekli moe vnimanie, vy prekrasno vyglyadite segodnya (я шел мимо и вы привлекли мое внимание вы прекрасно выглядите сегодня) - I was just walking by and you attracted my attention you look lovely today.

Direct: Attract attention and deliver a compliment.
Vy prekrasno vyglyadite - you look lovely
Vy ochen' krasivaya - you are very beautiful
Vy mne ponravilis' - I like you (does not sound that creepy in Russian, trust me, totally normal phrase)

Vy tak bistro hodite eto navernoe potomu-chto u vas dlinnie nogi - you walk so fast is it because you have such long legs (tried this one on a walking target, if she likes you she will smile and stop or slow down)
Idti szadi vas odno udovol'stvie - it was a pleasure walking behind you (sounds creepy but seems to work for me if I am chasing up a girl)

Well there are many others. If you want to know how to translate some favorite opener of your in Russian so it does not seem strange, ask me here.

And finally indirect, after attracting attention you can ask:
Ne podskazhite kak proyti v zoomagazin? - where is the nearest pet-shop? (slightly changed version, but sounds better this way in Russian)
Ne podskazhite skol'ko vremeni? - could you tell me what time it is?

Quote: (10-25-2016 06:01 PM)Vinny Wrote:  

Hey mate, going to have to rep you for all the value you're providing. Thanks so much and I hope you'll continue it in the future.

My question is why are so many russian questions phrased negatively. why not just : подскажите сколько времени?

I noticed they are always saying this. Like when my russian girlfriend asked me if i want to go somewhere, she asks: you don't want to go to the movies today?
Sounds like they are insinuating that you wouldn't want to do something all the time.

Quote: (10-25-2016 06:28 PM)369eyedea Wrote:  

Quote: (10-25-2016 06:01 PM)Vinny Wrote:  

Hey mate, going to have to rep you for all the value you're providing. Thanks so much and I hope you'll continue it in the future.

My question is why are so many russian questions phrased negatively. why not just : подскажите сколько времени?

I noticed they are always saying this. Like when my russian girlfriend asked me if i want to go somewhere, she asks: you don't want to go to the movies today?
Sounds like they are insinuating that you wouldn't want to do something all the time.

This is actually a tricky one. Don't know why it is this way but it changes the meaning.

He подскажите сколько времени - sounds like a question.
подскажите сколько времени - sounds like an order.

if you add пожалуйста it softens it:
скажите пожалуйста сколько времени - sounds very good, although it is not so commonly used.

If you want to be totally correct gotta change your signature to Не подскажите как пройти в зоомагазин? [Image: smile.gif]

Just seen the first episode of Кухня. Quite funny and well put together. Only option of subtitles are auto generated so the translations seem bad, even in Russian (maybe someone could verify usefulness?). I was able to follow the plot quite well although it's hard to tell if that's due to my listening skills or good cinematic story telling.

There seems to be mixed opinions on the viability of watching TV shows/films to learn languages. Sort of off topic but a rule of good filmmaking/screenwriting is that your audience should understand most of the plot through visuals alone. Show, don't tell. I have seen a few Russian TV shows online with english subtitles and I'm not particularly convinced it's helped improve my Russian.

Vinny, you said being able to understand 2 for every 5 words in your lazy language thread is good enough. That's probably where I'm at. This show seems fun so I'll give it a try.

Quote: (10-25-2016 12:29 PM)Vinny Wrote:  

I am new to Russian and have been using Duolingo as suggested by Vinny in his datasheet.

Спасибо Vinny!

Forget about golden handguns, try those:

Some actually funny lyrics, Moscow suburbs are no Ibiza, and gopniks no glamourous aesthetes lol:
Столица конечно не Ибица
Но есть ровная мазуля пацанятам раскрутиться
Может я и не гламурный эстет
Белая майченка, черный пистолет

Quote: (10-26-2016 11:17 AM)Going strong Wrote:  

Quote: (10-25-2016 12:29 PM)Vinny Wrote:  

Спасибо Vinny!

Forget about golden handguns, try those:

Some actually funny lyrics, Moscow suburbs are no Ibiza, and gopniks no glamourous aesthetes lol:
Столица конечно не Ибица
Но есть ровная мазуля пацанятам раскрутиться
Может я и не гламурный эстет
Белая майченка, черный пистолет

что это значит "майченка"?