rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

High paying jobs in Manila?

TLDR - Cliffs at bottom...

Tapping the great pool of knowledge here (incredible tips, glad I found this awesome community!) Saw the epic Philippines Thread but hoping to catch more eyes ITT. I want to live abroad a few years, and we all know how great PH is for escaping the West. However I am not willing to give up my comfortable lifestyle either. How can I go about living in Manila for 2-5yrs? Open to a paycut, just not living on <$10K USD/year like majority of Filipinos...my parents worked too hard to migrate West to make sure I did not.

Stats:
-Mid 20s single young professional
-Filipino American (full pinoy, first gen, born/raised SE USA) Major reason to move is to experience more of my ethnic culture.
-Eligible for dual citizenship and may own business/investments/property
-Proficient in Tagalog, will improve with full immersion
-Family connections (although lower-middle class)
-Hospital Admin background with masters from T10 US univ. (relates to below)

What USD-based or high-paying-PHP-equivalent jobs and other income sources are there in Manila? Obviously this is difficult to answer for a third world country, so could use more helpful insight. My brainstorming so far, in order of preference and feasibility:

1) CDC Public Health Advisor - Pretty good match actually. 2 Year Assignment as US Fed employee and I have relevant health admin exp. Probably Manila-based but may have to travel all over PH. Starting $63K is ~$3M PHP by conversion rate. Cons: Must be "GS12/14 grade" qualified, sounds Sr. Lvl requiring signf. leadership that I don't have yet. I do have healthcare-related masters but not MPH. Not a clinician MD/RN/etc. Not former military but clean record.

2) US-based employee of global IT or Advisory firm with overseas assignment. I've heard compensation can be $100K< USD for lucrative roles. Cons: likely IT/tech supervisory role. I have some healthcare IT exp. but not coding/networking/etc. Need to be employed first and assignments are by chance. Accenture, SAP, Oracle, Cognizant, etc have offices in Manila. Open to Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research industry but just unaware of opportunities.

3) Management Consultant as McKinsey Associate. I've been looking in strategy and operational consulting as a career change. From my research, supposedly McK's total comp. $150K< USD equiv. for post-MBA around the world, with some offices much higher depending on profit. Income potential is greatest here, with "1%" status if you climb to partner. Mgt. Consulting is a great track that I can see myself doing longterm. Cons: McK is the top firm in the world, very hard to get into. I wouldnt even consider if it wasn't for having an office in Makati. My "pedigree" is good with T10 MS, which ivy league-and-similar education is rarer in Manila than HK/Singapore, so that works to my advantage. Still, most Associates at top firms have a T10 MBA which itself is very competitive, expensive, and time consuming to earn (but I'm open to for overall career investment). These firms are global, so may be easier to transfer back to US office. Other Mgt Consulting firms include Big 4, although may be more Audit/Tax that I have little exp. in, and unsure if compensation is US-equiv like McK.

4) Banking: JP Morgan Chase, Citibank, Bank of America, BDO, etc. Cons: I know less about banking than consulting. And still may need a top MBA first.

5) Start a business. Cons: Currently lack drive and interests for entrepreneurship. Unsure what business to start. Aware of great rewards:great risk.

6) Remote work. Cons: Likely need to be IT professional (?)

7) Passive income via blogging/AM/eBay/etc. Con: Will take time and luck to grow substantial following or customer base. Need to find unsaturated, popular niche.

8) Contracting/Skilled Labor. Cons: Completely ignorant of. Major career change. Where to start and learn? Which skills are good abroad...Welding? Oil/Gas in PH?

8) Teach English: Generally <2yr gig

9) Entertainment/Modeling. Con: LOL....LMAO..... Although...naturally a big reason for moving is my dating outlook is noticeably higher there. Being PhilAm helps, and physically >6ft and good looking enough. Was asked if I was a model alot last time I visited. (Strong no e-brag...just noting since it could help find a high paying job where looks often matter, especially in Asia; as much it helps me for finding quality wife material!) Absolutely no interest in acting or singing. Would not want to be famous. Otherwise I would not mind finding a high-class Filipina to marry, which I think to have good prospects for. If she is a daughter of a rich businessman or a rising actress then I'd just want to be on similar social level to even meet this type.

Sorry if long read...I tend to overanalyze and have put alot of thought. It'll be a large commitment. Career is important to me, hoping to mitigate or increase professional outlook, not completely shut out the grind and become a lone wolf backpacker! This is not a vacation and still want to sustain a comfortable lifestyle. Not against staying in PH indefinitely if I absolutely love it.

Cliffs:
-Want to move to PH 2-5yrs but also keep western comfy lifestyle.
-Need USD salary or equiv. in PHP Pesos. Not necessarily looking to be super rich, but SE Asia is only fun if you have $$$ afterall.
-I am Pinoy American with potential of dual citizenship.
-Wanting to reconnect with family and culture. This isn't a vacation.
-Brainstormed some job ideas, looking for more.
-What other jobs or sources of income to look into?

Any other leads for good paying income sources in the Philippines are APPRECIATED!

Have you considered starting a business using Filipino contacts you meet on the ground? Call center or perhaps online assistants?

IMHO the easiest way to do it is to either freelance or have a passive income based in the US. It's pretty easy to start a small income selling things online. Diversify your income with an eBook or two, and perhaps also use skills you have to freelance.

Of course, if you can get a job that allows you to remote-work and pays 40k+ a year, you'll be living like a king in Manilla.

Either way I'd also try to establish an income that allows you to make money on YOUR terms. [Image: smile.gif]

Quote: (10-04-2016 11:47 PM)John_Galt Wrote:  

Have you considered starting a business using Filipino contacts you meet on the ground? Call center or perhaps online assistants?

IMHO the easiest way to do it is to either freelance or have a passive income based in the US. It's pretty easy to start a small income selling things online. Diversify your income with an eBook or two, and perhaps also use skills you have to freelance.

Of course, if you can get a job that allows you to remote-work and pays 40k+ a year, you'll be living like a king in Manilla.

Either way I'd also try to establish an income that allows you to make money on YOUR terms. [Image: smile.gif]

Thanks for your reply! Yup def considered passive income/online business. Just less a sure thing than a job, and much harder to grow customer base unless I find a high paying unsaturated niche. Also thought of the business. Honestly I just don't know what I'd start. It is not uncommon for first gen kids to boomerang back, taking a successful business model in the West and export it to Asia or S. America where there's emerging markets....but yeah, don't have the passion for it, at least right now. If I move there and catch wind of something that interests me then open to entrepreneurship.

Right now investing into funds/maxing IRA and 401K for early retirement, and dabble in some online AM (which hasn't grown enough to live on just yet). Since I actively invest for long term, I'd hate to give up 2+ yrs of salary potential. Hence my conundrum!

I am gonna apply to that CDC Public Health role (even at starting $60K that's great money there). But have a feeling I am not experienced enough for what sounds like a Sr. position.

Really hoping to find someone here who was assigned abroad. How they landed that gig, etc.

Confidence my friend! Confidence is key! Don't assume you're "not experienced enough". You're here! You're bi-lingual! You have ambitions to move abroad and start a new life! Clearly, you are not the average man. Just as you sometimes need to "fake it until you make it" with women, so too can this advice be taken with your professional life. You have the degree, you're intelligent, certainly you can learn what you need to know in the new position. If not, it still doesn't hurt to go into the interview/hiring process with a confident mentality and assurance that you will succeed.

As for the online income, please don't be dissuaded. A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step. Donald Trump started his empire with a single property. Warren Buffet was not born rich. Bill Gates began in his garage. If you haven't already, do yourself a favor and pick up Tim Ferris book "The 4 Hour Workweek". It will change your way of thinking about ALL of this! [Image: smile.gif]

I recommend checking job postings that require Tagalog in the US. Check companies that outsource to the Philippines, they may have an assignment for you there. I get the feeling you'd like to relocate as soon as possible but at the same time you're aiming too high. Get an entry level job then work your way towards becoming a consultant. Nobody will hire you as a consultant without having at least 4-5 years of work experience in a specific area (IT, finance, accounting etc).

There is lots of money in running an office for IT/Web/Assistant work and leasing out the employees to someone who needs a filipino full time. Hiring them on places like ODesk is the worst. You get horrible quality and people who don't work. If they have to come into your office and work normal shifts it would be better as long as you hire good ones. Not to mention they might work hard/have more respect for a filipino boss.

Quote: (10-05-2016 01:41 AM)Shimmy Wrote:  

There is lots of money in running an office for IT/Web/Assistant work and leasing out the employees to someone who needs a filipino full time. Hiring them on places like ODesk is the worst. You get horrible quality and people who don't work. If they have to come into your office and work normal shifts it would be better as long as you hire good ones. Not to mention they might work hard/have more respect for a filipino boss.

There you go! This guy has the right idea. Brilliant! You can give them instructions in their native language, you're not the farang barking orders, you're one of them, but the boss, and you can delegate work to them and pay the peanuts while getting paid a US income.

Heck, why stop with one business? Have a business for web design, then expand into IT, then into graphic design, etc etc. The possibilities are endless!

Quote: (10-05-2016 01:47 AM)John_Galt Wrote:  

There you go! This guy has the right idea. Brilliant! You can give them instructions in their native language, you're not the farang barking orders, you're one of them, but the boss, and you can delegate work to them and pay the peanuts while getting paid a US income.

Heck, why stop with one business? Have a business for web design, then expand into IT, then into graphic design, etc etc. The possibilities are endless!

The possibilities are endless. I'm actually stealing the idea of someone I personally know who did this about 15 years a go. He was paying $200-250 a month to the employee and charging companies a flat rate of $500-600 a month for web work. They had a "team leader" who managed 5-10 employees to make sure they were doing their job. I'm not sure the specifics but the business ended with his office getting raided and shut down, but he was a pretty big target with hundreds of employees.

Start by looking at your existing strengths, passions, connections, assets. What do they suggest?

All well and good thinking about management consulting, or launching a business.

But will you really be excited/satisifed by either option, for most days of the 3-5 years it takes to become competent and moderately successful?

Let's take the agency business suggested above. Great opportunity... but are you cut out for management? keeping clients happy? marketing and sales? Running a business in Philippines? Growing and scaling teams? All of these things are links in the chain, and skills in themselves. If you happen to hate one important link and/or suck at it, you won't grow a profitable company.

There are "key factors for success" in any endeavor and if your strengths dont match those, or you simply hate doing them such that you'll never get really good at them, you won't be successful.

I would think more about strengths, passions and existing skillsets than objective opportunities. It's not just what's great, it's what will be great for you.

1. High paying and Manila? LOL

2. Duarte is going to due serious harm to PI. I
am blown away how stupid this guy is.

3. You should visit manila before thinking you can
live there for a few years.

4. If you want high pay job you should look @ China
and not Philippines. China actually has an economy
and they lack english speakers.

My 2 cents.

Quote: (10-04-2016 11:36 PM)inq Wrote:  

TLDR - Cliffs at bottom...

Tapping the great pool of knowledge here (incredible tips, glad I found this awesome community!) Saw the epic Philippines Thread but hoping to catch more eyes ITT. I want to live abroad a few years, and we all know how great PH is for escaping the West. However I am not willing to give up my comfortable lifestyle either. How can I go about living in Manila for 2-5yrs? Open to a paycut, just not living on <$10K USD/year like majority of Filipinos...my parents worked too hard to migrate West to make sure I did not.

Stats:
-Mid 20s single young professional
-Filipino American (full pinoy, first gen, born/raised SE USA) Major reason to move is to experience more of my ethnic culture.
-Eligible for dual citizenship and may own business/investments/property
-Proficient in Tagalog, will improve with full immersion
-Family connections (although lower-middle class)
-Hospital Admin background with masters from T10 US univ. (relates to below)

What USD-based or high-paying-PHP-equivalent jobs and other income sources are there in Manila? Obviously this is difficult to answer for a third world country, so could use more helpful insight. My brainstorming so far, in order of preference and feasibility:

1) CDC Public Health Advisor - Pretty good match actually. 2 Year Assignment as US Fed employee and I have relevant health admin exp. Probably Manila-based but may have to travel all over PH. Starting $63K is ~$3M PHP by conversion rate. Cons: Must be "GS12/14 grade" qualified, sounds Sr. Lvl requiring signf. leadership that I don't have yet. I do have healthcare-related masters but not MPH. Not a clinician MD/RN/etc. Not former military but clean record.

2) US-based employee of global IT or Advisory firm with overseas assignment. I've heard compensation can be $100K< USD for lucrative roles. Cons: likely IT/tech supervisory role. I have some healthcare IT exp. but not coding/networking/etc. Need to be employed first and assignments are by chance. Accenture, SAP, Oracle, Cognizant, etc have offices in Manila. Open to Pharmaceutical and Clinical Research industry but just unaware of opportunities.

3) Management Consultant as McKinsey Associate. I've been looking in strategy and operational consulting as a career change. From my research, supposedly McK's total comp. $150K< USD equiv. for post-MBA around the world, with some offices much higher depending on profit. Income potential is greatest here, with "1%" status if you climb to partner. Mgt. Consulting is a great track that I can see myself doing longterm. Cons: McK is the top firm in the world, very hard to get into. I wouldnt even consider if it wasn't for having an office in Makati. My "pedigree" is good with T10 MS, which ivy league-and-similar education is rarer in Manila than HK/Singapore, so that works to my advantage. Still, most Associates at top firms have a T10 MBA which itself is very competitive, expensive, and time consuming to earn (but I'm open to for overall career investment). These firms are global, so may be easier to transfer back to US office. Other Mgt Consulting firms include Big 4, although may be more Audit/Tax that I have little exp. in, and unsure if compensation is US-equiv like McK.

4) Banking: JP Morgan Chase, Citibank, Bank of America, BDO, etc. Cons: I know less about banking than consulting. And still may need a top MBA first.

5) Start a business. Cons: Currently lack drive and interests for entrepreneurship. Unsure what business to start. Aware of great rewards:great risk.

6) Remote work. Cons: Likely need to be IT professional (?)

7) Passive income via blogging/AM/eBay/etc. Con: Will take time and luck to grow substantial following or customer base. Need to find unsaturated, popular niche.

8) Contracting/Skilled Labor. Cons: Completely ignorant of. Major career change. Where to start and learn? Which skills are good abroad...Welding? Oil/Gas in PH?

8) Teach English: Generally <2yr gig

9) Entertainment/Modeling. Con: LOL....LMAO..... Although...naturally a big reason for moving is my dating outlook is noticeably higher there. Being PhilAm helps, and physically >6ft and good looking enough. Was asked if I was a model alot last time I visited. (Strong no e-brag...just noting since it could help find a high paying job where looks often matter, especially in Asia; as much it helps me for finding quality wife material!) Absolutely no interest in acting or singing. Would not want to be famous. Otherwise I would not mind finding a high-class Filipina to marry, which I think to have good prospects for. If she is a daughter of a rich businessman or a rising actress then I'd just want to be on similar social level to even meet this type.

Sorry if long read...I tend to overanalyze and have put alot of thought. It'll be a large commitment. Career is important to me, hoping to mitigate or increase professional outlook, not completely shut out the grind and become a lone wolf backpacker! This is not a vacation and still want to sustain a comfortable lifestyle. Not against staying in PH indefinitely if I absolutely love it.

Cliffs:
-Want to move to PH 2-5yrs but also keep western comfy lifestyle.
-Need USD salary or equiv. in PHP Pesos. Not necessarily looking to be super rich, but SE Asia is only fun if you have $$$ afterall.
-I am Pinoy American with potential of dual citizenship.
-Wanting to reconnect with family and culture. This isn't a vacation.
-Brainstormed some job ideas, looking for more.
-What other jobs or sources of income to look into?

Any other leads for good paying income sources in the Philippines are APPRECIATED!

He's Phil Am, so Philippines is the obvious choice. Many Asian Americans return to their parents' homeland and do well, due to numerous advantages. China would make far less sense.

Phils is not the Congo. It's an emerging market (albeit arguably one of the more fragile). Plenty of growth, money and opportunity in Manila - but he has to be smart about the path he pursues.

I know you are not an engineer, but I was looking at engineering salaries in Manila as part of my relocation research and...

Even senior engineers or project managers with 10 years experience are getting paid <800 USD per month. And I'm talking about big multinational corporations like Google, not crappy pinoy companies.

I would be surprised that a capital that pays that kind of salaries for engineers pays high salaries to other professionals.

Same positions in Hong Kong pay literally 10 times more, sometimes even more. And there are a lot of works in the kind of fields you are describing. Very foreign friendly, no visa problems. HK is very close to Manila by plane, you could go there every weekend and party like a king with the kind of salary you get in HK.

Relocating to Manila will work if you have a location independent source of income, such as freelancing, online business or remote consulting. Also a good destination if you have passive dividend income. Even 1 or 2 k USD per month will let you live like a rockstar.

Quote: (10-05-2016 11:45 AM)Stallion Wrote:  

I know you are not an engineer, but I was looking at engineering salaries in Manila as part of my relocation research and...

Even senior engineers or project managers with 10 years experience are getting paid <800 USD per month. And I'm talking about big multinational corporations like Google, not crappy pinoy companies.

I would be surprised that a capital that pays that kind of salaries for engineers pays high salaries to other professionals.

Same positions in Hong Kong pay literally 10 times more, sometimes even more. And there are a lot of works in the kind of fields you are describing. Very foreign friendly, no visa problems. HK is very close to Manila by plane, you could go there every weekend and party like a king with the kind of salary you get in HK.

Relocating to Manila will work if you have a location independent source of income, such as freelancing, online business or remote consulting. Also a good destination if you have passive dividend income. Even 1 or 2 k USD per month will let you live like a rockstar.

The part in bold is not correct. I know personally someone who works at Shell in the Philippines. Filipino national, born and studied in the Philippines, with about 10 years experience. He's making a higher than average Western salary, which allows him to live a luxurious lifestyle in Manila.

There is definitely money to be made in engineering in the Philippines. The construction industry is notably corrupt, and those well connected or high ranked in the company can make a lot of money (even engineers, not only officials).

Quote: (10-05-2016 11:45 AM)Stallion Wrote:  

You can live on that amount, but not like a rockstar. At least not by my definition. I have a very nice duplex condo (loft, laundry,high floor, unobstructed views) in a great area of Makati and it costs about P60,000/month ($1,250). I've been in other friends condo's in BGC who are paying P35,000/month. They are nice condo's but average.

To be a rockstar you need to be able to eat out every night, go on vacations, buy what you want when you want and what about a car?

You're not doing that in Manila on $1k/ month, $2k is better, but still.

Quote: (10-05-2016 07:12 PM)Onto Wrote:  

You can live on that amount, but not like a rockstar. At least not by my definition. I have a very nice duplex condo (loft, laundry,high floor, unobstructed views) in a great area of Makati and it costs about P60,000/month ($1,250). I've been in other friends condo's in BGC who are paying P35,000/month. They are nice condo's but average.

To be a rockstar you need to be able to eat out every night, go on vacations, buy what you want when you want and what about a car?

You're not doing that in Manila on $1k/ month, $2k is better, but still.

Onto is correct. 2k a month can buy you a nice life in Manila, but it's more of a short term option, over the long term, if you want to maintain a western standard of living, vacations, visa renewals, taxis, they add up.

3k a month is enough to live a comfortable western lifestyle, 4k a month if you want to have kids.

There's a few other ones that you could do;

Work as a diplomat/work in the embassy. Usually, you'd need to work a few years in DC before you're posted overseas.

Work as a teacher in an international school (not a english as a second language business), a non-profit K-12 school where diplomats send their children. You'd have to be trained as a teacher in the US first and have a couple years of experience there before landing a good job here.

I'm trained as a teacher and personally I plan on leveraging this job to work in Asia. I hope to be living in Asia for the start of the 2018 September school year. I'll be 28 then as well.

Quote: (10-06-2016 05:05 AM)John5000 Wrote:  

There's a few other ones that you could do;

Work as a diplomat/work in the embassy. Usually, you'd need to work a few years in DC before you're posted overseas.

Work as a teacher in an international school (not a english as a second language business), a non-profit K-12 school where diplomats send their children. You'd have to be trained as a teacher in the US first and have a couple years of experience there before landing a good job here.

I'm trained as a teacher and personally I plan on leveraging this job to work in Asia. I hope to be living in Asia for the start of the 2018 September school year. I'll be 28 then as well.

Hey mate, any idea how stringent they are on having actual educational qualifications in international high schools? If you've taught on a volunteer basis and know your subject matter, will they avoid hiring you if you don't have a diploma of education?

And do you know what sort of pay it is at an international high school?

As a Filipino, there's a lot more opportunities to you available than if you were white or black skinned. Foreigners looking to take money from Filipinos are considered enemies of society, and for people who don't look like the locals, they will be actively targeted.

You've got a huge leg up being able to speak Tagalog and looking like a Pinoy.

If you get dual citizenship, you have no limitations other than the trust of the people you work with (That's another post).

BTW, you need $30k a year to live like a westerner in Manila.

Doable for much less if you stay in a slum area.

But $1k USD a month isn't going to cut it in BGC or Makati unless you stay in a tiny one room studio, take local transportation, no Uber, no dates, no eating western food, no clubs, no expensive hobbies, no travel, etc.

Edit: Hell, just the fact that you can buy land and we can't puts you miles ahead of everyone else. If I were you, I'd stay in the USA, work there, fly to the Philippines with money, and buy land.

Flying to the Philippines to make money is a pretty shitty plan. There are a lot of other places you could go nextdoor, make money, and spend it in the Philippines. But the barrier for entry into those places (East Asia) for non-teaching jobs as a foreigner is high.

Also, teaching English to Chinese people in Makati pays about $8/hr. For the CDC job, they know who they're going to hire - and it's going to be someone who already works there. For the multi-national stuff, you're right, most people are there by chance - as they didn't take the jobs knowing where they would be put. And they usually don't stay there forever (needs of the company).

If you want to build a future in South-East Asia, in my opinion, the only way to secure a future for yourself is to create something.

^Tend to agree with that. If you had a good biz idea to bring over, and the drive/resources to make it happen in Manila - then go for it.

OR if you had your sights on a location-independent career/business, it would also be a good move.

But if you just want a job, without a definite foot in the door of a particular skillset... maybe best to build that up in the US first before you jump ship.

My advice: Start the citizenship process now.

It's getting harder and harder because you-know-who doesn't want its sheep escaping the pen.

Quote: (10-06-2016 07:18 AM)Dagnasty Wrote:  

Edit: Hell, just the fact that you can buy land and we can't puts you miles ahead of everyone else. If I were you, I'd stay in the USA, work there, fly to the Philippines with money, and buy land.

I like this idea! Let me add to this…

@INQ - Not sure what your skills sets are or the amount of experience you have but you may be better off doing contract work! You mentioned you have some healthcare IT experience?
Similar to what Dagnasty said, I would stick to working in the States but I would do contracts work. Work 4-6 month in the States, spend the rest of your time in Phils! Rinse and repeat!
I work in software as a PM and have signed off on many contracts and invoices for software engineers doing contract on my projects. Depending experience (Junior, Intermediate, Senior, Team Lead or Principle Eng) you can pull in anywhere from $40/hr to $120/hr or more!
Do a quick search on LinkedIn and see what available contract work exists in your field.
Live with minimal possessions, stay debt free, be smart with your money and be focused on what you want to achieve in Phils. You can buy property (new condo) in Davao for cheap and rent it out. Just an idea.

Good luck!

I think you're coming from a genuine place. Still, asking a lot of non-Filipinos on a game blog how to make a good living in the Philippines is probably not the best venue for that question.

Seems like you'd get a lot more viable information from your family back home or other Fil-Ams who've gone back to work there. I know a few and they've all leveraged their family connections and social networks to build businesses. Seems like the trend is to bring US trends back to PI: e.g. speakeasy bars, BTC remittance services, interesting balikbayan arbitrage opportunities.

Not trying to be a downer, I only think you have better resources at your disposal...

Quote: (10-06-2016 08:15 PM)booshala Wrote:  

I think you're coming from a genuine place. Still, asking a lot of non-Filipinos on a game blog how to make a good living in the Philippines is probably not the best venue for that question.

Seems like you'd get a lot more viable information from your family back home or other Fil-Ams who've gone back to work there. I know a few and they've all leveraged their family connections and social networks to build businesses. Seems like the trend is to bring US trends back to PI: e.g. speakeasy bars, BTC remittance services, interesting balikbayan arbitrage opportunities.

Not trying to be a downer, I only think you have better resources at your disposal...

I see your point, and I agree to some extent. But I think a lot of people come here for the perspective, i.e. redpill, reality, thinking outside the box, men who have their shit together, people who are location independent, etc etc.

While a "boots on the ground" approach does have it's benefits, let's remember that many Filipinos are stuck in a rut of constant work/sex/sleep/repeat and they never come close to making something comparable to a western standard of living.

Therefore I think he has the right idea coming here for advice. But one should always consider all wisdom, no matter what it's source.

Quote: (10-06-2016 08:52 PM)John_Galt Wrote:  

But one should always consider all wisdom, no matter what it's source.

...or be bogged down by analysis paralysis when too many data points are presented. I get what you're saying and I was definitely trying to temper my statement as I'm sure there's bound to be some decent advice presented here. I just feel like the OP is in a unique position because he's Fil-Am (most of the participants in this thread are not) and has better prospects and information sources than rando foreigners.

But yeah, bring it on... I've done some business in Manila as well so I suppose I'd be interested in hearing some new info. I'm still in the camp that OP should try something entrepreneurial as his language skills, visa situation and relatively low cost of living in PI should make it easier.

^

Yes, we're on the same page. I'm just saying we might give him the the direction, even if we can't provide a map. Sometimes all a man needs is the kernel of the idea, so that he can proceed to make his own path. Hopefully something we have said strikes a cord with him and we here of his success within a few years!