rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Leveraging a biochem degree - need some guidance on getting a finance/sales job

Some background stats:

--->I have a 2.6 GPA right now in biochem w/ a minor in Chemical Engineering at a top 5 global program for both biochem and ChemE (also a notoriously difficult school)

(might be switching to this ChemE later this month, depends on my meeting with the dean)

--->I'm an upcoming senior (need to do five years, so I have an extra summer for an internship)

I really don't want to be stuck in research, and I don't want to gun for a professional degree...ideally, I'd get a job in finance but I have no clue where to start.

My GPA is shit for finance so I most likely won't be able to make moves straight afterwards.

I've considered starting in pharmaceutical sales and then getting an MBA then going to finance but I heard to kill it in pharma sales you need a pussy...so i might be better off leveraging this degree in a different role to get into business.

Also what are my options for sales outside of pharma? most preferably male-dominated? Sales Engineering seems interesting but that depends on whether my dean allows me to switch into ChemE.

I really want to be in either finance or sales, I have one year to leverage my resume to reflect this...I just need to know which route is my best bet. I feel like above all, I should focus on repairing my GPA, then taking up internships for both sales/finance.

EDIT: Really any plausible route that I can leverage with this degree would be ideal.. I just want a transitory job where I can work/save/climb for 10-20 years before working up the capital to quit and start a local import/export business.

Look into MSF programs.

Just get into B2B sales. From there you can go a lot of places. Plus if you can get in where you want.

Transitioning industries in sales is much easier than changing careers.

If you're a frat bro type you can do well in pharm/ortho/medical device sales although you need some prior sales experience. There are a ton of fields where doctors would rather talk to guys (like Orthopedics if you're an athlete or athletic looking).

I'd also consider going into patent law or being a patent agent if you don't want to go through law school.

I second the recommendation for MSF programs.

Come, my friends, ‘Tis not too late to seek a newer world.

-Alfred, Lord Tenyson

So do MSF programs have no problem with sub-par gpa's from top programs?

I think I just need to try out an internship in finance to see if I even like it. I'm gravitating towards it because of the extremely macho type-A competitiveness of the field(my personality).

I think I'd be really good at sales actually, I just feel like it might be a waste of some technical leverage that I currently have....if the finance internship doesn't work out, I'm for sure doing b2b.

I'm shooting from the hip here, but couldn't you use your engineering degree to get work in a foreign country that would value your expertise and pay you well at the same time?

I feel like a biochem major from a top tier university would be a sought after individual in developing countries.

Want to name your price? Combine with computer science and go for a graduate degree in computational biology/biostatistics.

I work in finance it is a very difficult industry which has been in decline since 2008. The top tier firms are not hiring unless you go to a top 10 mba school. The competition for entry level jobs excluding sales is extreme. Remember since 2008 10s of thousands of very experienced/ high educated people have lost their jobs. They have much more experience than you and you have to compete with them.

I am really jealous about your degree in biochem. That is and should continue to be a great industry to work in. Don't worry about the 2.6 gpa as long as your you did well in your degree classes. Had a friend in college who was in engineering who did great in all his degree classes but did not care about electives and core curriculum requirements. He got an entry level job in his field very quick out of college. Nobody cared about his gpa as long as he was proficient in his selected field.

Gyro bro, I'm gonna have to give you some tough love. You aren't cut out for finance/Wall Street.

Here are the red flags: 1) You say you are type A - then you say you don't want this this and this. Successful people in finance just get shit done.

2)Your GPA is 2.6 - Competitive people in finance get 4.0+ GPAs and do Tier 1 college sports and do 2-3 other interests in which they are heavily involved in.

3)You have no idea where to start to get into finance - You heard, you read, you think so and so way and that a certain job is stereo typically geared towards something. Read my point 1 above.

My advice: go grind out 3-5 years in big pharma or a chemicals company, then reassess your life.