rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Success: Habits and Environment - What Worked for You?

What deliberate habits or environment changes have contributed most to your career/business success?

Let's keep it to external changes - concrete things you've implemented that affected your behavior and fed into success (not just mindsets or books you've read).

Examples:

-A mastermind group with others
-Engaging a mentor
-Holding yourself accountable to someone
-Creating a vision board
-Creating a scoreboard to track something (e.g. revenue)
-Regularly attending conferences/meetups
-Moved to a location that inspires you to step up and hustle e.g. NYC or San Fran
-Working out of a particular space
-Networking hard, online or offline

etc.

What have you implemented externally that's supercharged your business/career? How did it massively help?

Also, please do recommend any great books/resources that detail these kind of success-inducing external habits/environment changes.

Let's get an awesome list going guys.

Adopting a minimialist lifestyle....I was always a natural minimalist because I never liked things like cars, expensive watches, etc. I've always been more oriented towards things that bring bodily pleasure and relaxation.

Little did I know that this tendency would help me save some decent amount of cash from working jobs I did not like and ultimately enable me start a business that I abslutely friggin love.

It had such an impact on my life and that i got the words 'minimalist' and 'bliss' tattooed on my calf.

To anyone who wants freedom, this is the only advice I can give you - make conscious decisions when it comes to spending money. MInimalism isn't about living like a beggar. Infact it's the opposite. It's about spending on things you value. If you feel having a better phone/car/watch will imporve your life, then the first thing you need to do is spend sometime with yourself alone and enquire about your inner nature. You're way off your soul, hence you feel the need to substitute it with 'things'.

I cant contribute with what led to my success, because I haven't had the success I'm looking for yet BUT I think I'm on a good path. I ended my lease on my apartment, threw/gave away most of my stuff and bought a one way ticket to SEA(beginning of March this year, still here). I've been location independent for 1.5 years, before that I was also location independent but was attending university.
I am trading my hours for money online and what i am trying to do is build passive income streams, which I've been doing for over a year but been lazy, getting here and hanging out with people making money online in different ways has helped me a lot, and I have been working so much more on my projects than at home.

Also reading rich dad poor dad right now, a really good book for motivation.

Thinking ahead about goals and slowly moving towards it by doing the smaller steps.

Budgeting my lifestyle and always thinking ahead about how to improve my station in life.

Taking risks that have actual payouts.

Stop doing useless things you enjoy like video games and replacing it with mandatory gym sessions.

Avoiding time burglars and useless people.

Systemisation by far.

Turning motivation, action, discipline etc all into automated systems.

It's also the key to delegation as well. You simply cannot manage employees efficiently without it.

See Work the System by Sam Carpenter for more.

Here are some of my personal foundations that have helped me power my biz

- Persistence, by any means
- Mapping your days out before they begin
- Networking with people smarter than you
- Cutting ties with negative people
- Faith in prayer and God
- Use Mint.com to track your spending
- Set pragmatic goals
- Avoid social media unless it's making you money
- Eliminate TV & Video Games

Quote: (05-09-2016 04:05 PM)Valentine Wrote:  

Systemisation by far.

Turning motivation, action, discipline etc all into automated systems.

It's also the key to delegation as well. You simply cannot manage employees efficiently without it.

See Work the System by Sam Carpenter for more.

Can you expand on the systemisation part? I'm starting the Sam Carpenter book, but I'm curious if you could expand on how you've implemented it in your life.

-Non zero days: doing something to improve myself every day, even if its for only 5 minutes
-cutting out distractions: stopped watching tv every day (game of thrones is the only exception). stopped watching sports, sold my xbox, broke up with my ex, cut out rubbish friends
- Only consumed positive, motivational music
-kept planning 2-3 jobs moved ahead, always looking for the next opening regardless of my current position
-being willing to go anywhere for a job , moved up an down the country as a result
- not listening to people that said I couldn't do certain stuff

-focus on one goal that has the greatest positive effect on your life and spend a majority of time to achieve it .
-be in an environment thats busy ie: the city (for me the suburbs is a difficult kinda hell for me)
-Find smart people and befriend them and learn as much as you possibly can but never use it for an excuse for inaction.
-Always do something to make your life better and if you deal with others make sure there is a mutual transactions that both sides gain something.
-shortcuts are the devil most of the time.

Adam says to God, "God, why did you make women so soft ?"
God says, "So that you will like them."
Adam says to God, "God, why did you make women so warm and cuddly?"
God says, "So that you will like them."
Adam says to God, "But, God, why did you make them so stupid?"
God says, "So that they will like you"