rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Powerlifting belt

Powerlifting belt

I am 6'5'' and 225 lbs. I am starting to lift heavy in deadlift and front squats. Does anyone know a good site to buy powerlifting belts. My friend recommend that I buy one in order to help alleviate my low back pain. Thanks.

Powerlifting belt

http://bestbelts.net/

The owner, Dean Best, is a great guy, and will work with you personally to get you the belt you want. Made in America, reasonably priced, in great colors, and sturdier than anything else you own. You also get complimentary suede coasters from the leather leftover. I recommend finding someone else's belt and measuring the optimal length for you, and then telling Dean.

Powerlifting belt

I've always been told you shouldnt wear a belt. From my understanding if your in need of a belt due to pain, you're lifting to much. If you incrementally increase the weight you'll build a "natural" belt of muscle.

Chef In Jeans
A culinary website for men

Powerlifting belt

Only use a belt if your lifting 2x or more your bodyweight and plan to increase.

I've seen skinny guys use a belt when doing biceps curls with 10lbs dumbells, ridicolous.

If you always use a belt you're not letting the abs and lower back muscles develop properly.

Powerlifting belt

Quote: (07-03-2011 02:49 PM)tjf78 Wrote:  

I am 6'5'' and 225 lbs. I am starting to lift heavy in deadlift and front squats. Does anyone know a good site to buy powerlifting belts. My friend recommend that I buy one in order to help alleviate my low back pain. Thanks.

If your back is hurting, you may want to work on your core to alleviate (how I love this word!) the pain.

Try working on your abs. Those are support muscles to your back.

When did the back pain start or have you always had back pain?

OUR NEW BLOG!

http://repstylez.com

My NEW TRAVEL E-BOOK - DOMINICAN REPUBLIC - A RED CARPET AFFAIR

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00K53LVR8

Love 'em or leave 'em but we can't live without lizardsssss..

An Ode To Lizards

Powerlifting belt

http://www.elitefts.com - most of these guys are ex or current powerlifters and know their stuff, would definitely look at it if I lived in the States, I regularly check it out for articles etc.

As for belts, they're mainly to be used on heavy compound lifts to keep your stomach tight and tensed so your whole body is. Allowing you to channel as much energy and force into the lift as possible.

So deadlifts and squats are a good place to start with them. As another guy said, bicep curls are not!

Powerlifting belt

Quote: (07-05-2011 02:24 PM)dk902 Wrote:  

As for belts, they're mainly to be used on heavy compound lifts to keep your stomach tight and tensed so your whole body is. Allowing you to channel as much energy and force into the lift as possible.

So deadlifts and squats are a good place to start with them. As another guy said, bicep curls are not!

Correct. People who say to avoid belts, as a rule, don't know what they're talking about. The belt is a tool that helps you get stronger faster, and more safely, on lifts with and without the belt. There is no such thing as 'natural' lifting, when it comes to equipment - have you ever heard of a caveman using a barbell, or kettlebells? The belt is commonly used for all the big compound and olympic lifts, though not necessarily the same style of belt.

Use of a lifting belt increases Intra-Abdominal Pressure, which may reduce disc compressive force and improve lifting safety. Source

Wearing abdominal belts raises intra-muscular pressure of the erector spinae muscles and appears to stiffen the trunk. Assuming that increased intra-muscular pressure of the erector spinae muscles stabilizes the lumbar spine, wearing abdominal belts may contribute to the stabilization during lifting exertions. Source

Powerlifting belt

Quote: (07-05-2011 12:44 PM)Moma Wrote:  

If your back is hurting, you may want to work on your core to alleviate (how I love this word!) the pain.

Last Oct., I tore my acl in a football game and had surgery the next month. After three months of therapy, my knee felt good enough to get back into the gym and lift legs. This was probably a bad idea but I never like to be out of the gym too long. In Feb, of this year, I was doing a stiff-legged deadlift with 25 lb dumbbells in both hands. All of a sudden, after the lift, I had this weird back pain. I finished up with leg press and leg extensions, went home. The next day it still felt sore so I went to the trainer. I play college football as well. He told me to forgot about my back and focus on rehabbing my acl. So I went about rehabbing and forgot about the back pain.

Currently, my left knee (acl repaired) is solid, it feels stronger than my right. Deadlifts in gym are fine, front squats sometimes give me back problems but the pain will not make me quit. Push press bothers it more than these two prior lifts so I have switched to dbs. Buying a belt never occurred to me until I went back home for the fourth of July and spoke with one of my friend's dads about weightlifting. He told me to invest in a powerlifting belt for squats and deadlifts. He said that without a belt, the forces all converge onto one area of the disk. Wearing a belt, spreads these forces out between the disks.

This is my motivation for getting a belt. Just wanted to what you guys recommended. I will check out BestBelts, Thank you.

Powerlifting belt

Quote: (07-05-2011 08:54 PM)tjf78 Wrote:  

Quote: (07-05-2011 12:44 PM)Moma Wrote:  

Last Oct., I tore my acl in a football game and had surgery the next month. After three months of therapy, my knee felt good enough to get back into the gym and lift legs. This was probably a bad idea but I never like to be out of the gym too long. In Feb, of this year, I was doing a stiff-legged deadlift with 25 lb dumbbells in both hands. All of a sudden, after the lift, I had this weird back pain. I finished up with leg press and leg extensions, went home. The next day it still felt sore so I went to the trainer. I play college football as well. He told me to forgot about my back and focus on rehabbing my acl. So I went about rehabbing and forgot about the back pain.

Currently, my left knee (acl repaired) is solid, it feels stronger than my right. Deadlifts in gym are fine, front squats sometimes give me back problems but the pain will not make me quit. Push press bothers it more than these two prior lifts so I have switched to dbs. Buying a belt never occurred to me until I went back home for the fourth of July and spoke with one of my friend's dads about weightlifting. He told me to invest in a powerlifting belt for squats and deadlifts. He said that without a belt, the forces all converge onto one area of the disk. Wearing a belt, spreads these forces out between the disks.

This is my motivation for getting a belt. Just wanted to what you guys recommended. I will check out BestBelts, Thank you.

Considering your past, forget the belt for now and see a sports doctor. I have a friend who can probably never lift again because of underlying issues that went un-addressed. Maybe an extreme case, but the point stands. You will get re-injured if you don't know what you're doing, and it seems like you don't.

Powerlifting belt

I've got a small waist (30"-ish) and most powerlifting belts don't fit me. Can anyone recommend an off-the-rack belt for smaller men?

I'm hoping to avoid the cost of a custom belt, although I'll do it if I have to. Thanks.

p.s. I wouldn't mind a multi-function belt that I could use for dips too.

"I'm not worried about fucking terrorism, man. I was married for two fucking years. What are they going to do, scare me?"

Powerlifting belt

Quote: (03-01-2018 07:03 AM)not_dead_yet Wrote:  

I've got a small waist (30"-ish) and most powerlifting belts don't fit me. Can anyone recommend an off-the-rack belt for smaller men?

I'm hoping to avoid the cost of a custom belt, although I'll do it if I have to. Thanks.

You may want to looks at women's belts. I have used my wife's a couple of times when I have forgotten mine. I have a relatively small waist (not as small as yours) and I put it on the last couple of notches.

Powerlifting belt

Quote: (03-01-2018 07:03 AM)not_dead_yet Wrote:  

I don't personally know of any place that sells actual powerlifting belts in a retail store. All the manufacturers that make legit belts sell online. That said, all manufactures make belts for any size. 30" is not an abnormal waist size by any means.

Check out:

https://markbellslingshot.com/collection...trong-belt

http://www.inzernet.com/search_results_b...h&iLevel=1

https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-13mm-...fting-belt

http://www.bestbelts.net/Powerlifting-Be...hlete.aspx

https://www.sbd-usa.com/product-p/sbd-belt.htm

They make belts for petite 100 lbs. women I'm sure you will find a belt to fit you.

Powerlifting belt

Look into Cardillo Belts -- best in the business, all the pro's use his belts, if you see a custom belt on any bodybuilder it's almost always Cardillo.

http://cardillousa.com/cardillo-weight-belts/

Powerlifting belt

I've got a 13mm thick one from Pioneer Fitness (General Leathercraft Inc.) made in Texas. Pretty darn rugged, I think. I doubt I'll ever need another.

Don't forget to drink your milk after your squats!!!

If only you knew how bad things really are.

Powerlifting belt

I've had a lot of success with my rogue fitness 10mm Ohio belt. A bit on the pricey side at $108 dollars but I've had it for almost two years and it hasn't worn at all.

https://www.roguefitness.com/rogue-ohio-...cid=banner

The quality is great. I have a small waist (31") and the medium has been fine for me. Just make sure you aren't relying on the belt to combat back pain. Work on your core stability, especially your glutes. Everyone mentions abs, but weak glutes also contribute to back pain. Add some hip thrusts into your routine. Your back will thank you.

Powerlifting belt

I use a plain jane harbinger belt from dicks sporting goods. Its lasted a few years and cost like 30 bucks. When I blow out the holes im buying a cardillo.

Powerlifting belt

Quote: (03-01-2018 09:31 PM)RexImperator Wrote:  

Don't forget to drink your milk after your squats!!!

Right after I pop my lactase pills. [Image: confused.gif]

p.s. You know what's fun? Finding out you're lactose intolerant on the first day of GOMAD.

"I'm not worried about fucking terrorism, man. I was married for two fucking years. What are they going to do, scare me?"

Powerlifting belt

[Image: lol.gif] Ugh your poor toilet bowl... we don't have a diarrhea .gif so this will have to do:

If only you knew how bad things really are.

Powerlifting belt

What is a suitable thickness when choosing a belt? I've read somewhere that most competitions restrict belts to 10mm. The only downside i can see from using one less than 10mm is selling yourself short in terms of the extra potential core stability to be gained; and the opposite when using something thicker that can't be used in competition.

Suggestions?

Also does anyone have experience with the fairly new belts equipped with lever like contraptions in place of the traditional two prongs? Are they better or worse in your opinion?

Powerlifting belt

The obvious answer here is that your form is off. Fix it.

Powerlifting belt

Quote: (03-03-2018 03:26 PM)Vet-Boy Wrote:  

What is a suitable thickness when choosing a belt? I've read somewhere that most competitions restrict belts to 10mm. The only downside i can see from using one less than 10mm is selling yourself short in terms of the extra potential core stability to be gained; and the opposite when using something thicker that can't be used in competition.

Suggestions?

Also does anyone have experience with the fairly new belts equipped with lever like contraptions in place of the traditional two prongs? Are they better or worse in your opinion?

13 mm is just more rigid. 13mm thick belts are legal in all federations as far as I know.

As far as lever vs. prongs thats really preference. Levers can be quicker to get on and off but require more work to adjust.