rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Living With Aspergers Syndrome

Does anyone on here have Aspergers syndrome? I'm curious what your life is like.
I've taken several online tests and both strongly suggested I have it, although Ive never felt disabled in any way. Im pretty introverted and have a very hard time maintaining small talk and exchanging the basic social niceties in random conversation most people seem to enjoy. It was only when I got into game and drinking in college did I realize I needed to adapt and force myself to be more social.

4 years of highschool debate made me very good at saying things, but a poor communicator, if that makes sense.
It's like a veneer I can present myself well but ultimately I don't develop any meaningful relationships with people in general.

Like one time a cute girl opened me with a question, well I didn't know the answer to the question so I just kind of stared at her in silence until she turned away. I didn't know the answer so I didn't say anything, to me that was the logical thing to do. Obviously later when I thought about it I realized she probably thought I was being a huge asshole and a psychopath, even though I didn't mean anything negative by it.

I used to overcome this with drinking and music to get pumped up to socialize, but I don't even bother with bars anymore for over a year.

I don't think I'm even shy necessarily, just too serious and logical about everything. I wonder if that's considered aspergers. I definitely have no problem identifying humor or sarcasm, which supposedly is the hallmark symptom.

If anyone has a legit diagnosis I'd like to hear about it

I don't have any first hand experience to share, but I recently watched a show about the brain and one of the things talked about was this guy who didn't know he had aspergers until late in life, he was then mostly 'cured' by a fluke during some research on his brain, he went on to explain how he never knew there were all these small cues communicated by peoples faces that the rest of us just pick up on without thinking, that he never picked up anything before and now it's like a whole new world for him.

Here's a clip of just that segment of the show:

Americans are dreamers too

It can present itself differently, I had a classmate was socially a bit off and had Aspergers, but he would say ANYTHING without any social considerations. He was shy at times but generally with people he was comfortable with he would say the most inappropriate shit and only have a vague sense of how bad it was to say

Ie: Propositioning a teacher to have sex, declaring that all women are just holes, most black people are retarded etc