rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Getting out of a rut

Getting out of a rut

Hi all,

I would appreciate your thoughts on my situation. I am 24, and have degrees in law and economics, fluent in Spanish and have been a corporate lawyer for a year now. I did an exchange in Spain last year and had the time of my life, I have never been happier. I came back in January this year to start my graduate job, to a city in Australia of 1 million people which I find too spread out with no real urban life, slow with no heritage, and isolated from anywhere interesting. I have gone from being the life of the party in Europe, always making things happen, going on multiple dates a week and having a rich social life, to being unmotivated and generally feeling like I've lost my adventurous and curious spark. I am just waiting to leave, and can't enjoy myself here.

I want to get back to Europe (specifically Madrid) permanently asap, but am also mindful of not messing up my career prospects. Everyone tells me with the current level of experience I have, I will end up in a dead end. I am happy to continue being a lawyer, but am also open to other avenues which make use of my education and experience.

It is difficult to talk about this with people here, so if any one had advice (or even tough love) I would be interested in hearing.

Getting out of a rut

@draguer

I understand what happened.
You did good in Europe and found yourself in a great position.

Then you changed settings and lost it.

Quote:Quote:

Everyone tells me with the current level of experience I have, I will end up in a dead end. I am happy to continue being a lawyer, but am also open to other avenues which make use of my education and experience

Lawyer is not a one size fits all. You have a lot of options.
Suggest you focus on Intl' law, and try to work with Intl' corporations. Build your network and try to move.

Another option is to look for a relocation position. It is hard but possible.

Yet another option is to move to another city in the US. Maybe you and this location are not a good match. In another city you may feel much better.

Whatever you do, think about it hard an long. Then go for it.

"I love a fulfilling and sexual relationship. That is why I make the effort to have many of those" - TheMaleBrain
"Now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb." - Spaceballs
"If you strike me down, I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

Getting out of a rut

Quote: (12-13-2015 04:09 AM)TheMaleBrain Wrote:  

@draguer

Everyone tells me with the current level of experience I have, I will end up in a dead end. I am happy to continue being a lawyer, but am also open to other avenues which make use of my education and experience

Suggest you focus on Intl' law, and try to work with Intl' corporations. Build your network and try to move.

Yet another option is to move to another city in the US. Maybe you and this location are not a good match. In another city you may feel much better.

International Law doesn't actually imply "International Law" in the way you'd thing from hearing the term.

An International lawyer would still practice and almost exclusively practice in one location. I.e. Toronto, NYC, London etc. What they do is work on issues relating to international transactions and jurisdictional issues from the comfort of their own country. They don't actually go to another country for work.

Law is not a career that provides a travelling lifestyle unless you considered going to a court house 100 miles from your house travelling.

London would seemingly be a decent place for a legal career if you could get in at a good firm. I'd assume though I don't know that the pay would be pretty competitive.

Getting out of a rut

Quote: (12-13-2015 04:09 AM)TheMaleBrain Wrote:  

@draguer

International Law doesn't actually imply "International Law" in the way you'd think from hearing the term.

An International lawyer would still practice and almost exclusively practice in one location. I.e. Toronto, NYC, London etc. What they do is work on issues relating to international transactions and jurisdictional issues from the comfort of their own country. They don't actually go to another country for work.

Law is not a career that provides a travelling lifestyle unless you considered going to a court house 100 miles from your house travelling.

London would seemingly be a decent place for a legal career if you could get in at a good firm. I'd assume though I don't know that the pay would be pretty competitive.

Getting out of a rut

Can you write?

Corporate law, finance, french translations - all SOLID-paying specializations and perhaps even moreso if you blend the three.

Of course, then you face the productivity challenge most of us footloose freelancers face, but the potential is there if you can whip it. Assuming you have a good business sense, learn marketing, and have strong self-starter tendencies, it is possible to make a six figure a year self-employment out of these niches.

Your background would only help build credibility for promoting yourself.

Don't get me wrong - it's a path fraught with challenges. But it is doable if you want it bad enough.

Beyond All Seas

"The individual has always had to struggle to keep from being overwhelmed by the tribe.
To be your own man is a hard business. If you try it, you'll be lonely often, and sometimes
frightened. But no price is too high to pay for the privilege of owning yourself." - Kipling