rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Need to Cover Gaps on My Resume Fast

For the past 3 years I've found myself going to job interviews in search of a job. The problem is that I got gaps on my resume that HR interviewers haven't been pleased about in considering me for a potential hire. Last week I read online about a 'virtual employer' that you can set up to fill in those gaps by falsifying about a past employer on your resume.

Such a service poses as your past employer and provides a positive reference when a prospective employer calls it to inquire about your past job performance. Honestly, I don't know how good these services are but I'm willing to take a shot to increase my chances of landing a job.

What are some good reliable 'virtual employer' services that I can use? I want to ensure that these services are reliable as references without any hiccups since any slip-ups can send my resume to the trash bin.

Could you describe what they aren't pleased about?
I think 50% of a resume is marketing. If I compare what people actually did to how they describe it on their resume there are big differences.

What were you doing during the gap? Why should you lie about the gap in employment? What type of job are you applying for?

You shouldn't use a reliable 'virtual employer' because you aren't qualified.

What line of work?

What were you doing during those gaps?

There are a lot of ways things can be framed. If you were traveling/living overseas that's an easy one to make sound good. Is freelancing common in your line of work?

If you have the skills they need and interview well then gaps normally are not an issue. I suspect there's other reasons why you haven't gotten very far and it's not the gaps.

Americans are dreamers too

Become self employed and have no one to explain the gaps to.

just lie, as long as your address record matches with what you tell them then they can't really find out.

have your friends as your employer references, and coach them on what to say. The only real verification they can do is background check on your address. as long as that matches, you're probably golden.

Just find a job you think is beneath you but you can work in and get good work experience and work your way up instead of lying and buying your way through a fake work history and trying to scam the system. I think this may be the core problem.

No need to tell HR interviewer all the truth, some kind lie can let you get the job.

Quote: (12-10-2015 02:49 AM)Disco_Volante Wrote:  

just lie, as long as your address record matches with what you tell them then they can't really find out.

have your friends as your employer references, and coach them on what to say. The only real verification they can do is background check on your address. as long as that matches, you're probably golden.

This. Its absolutely worth lying. Think about the possible results here:

a) You don't lie, you don't get the job

b) You lie, you possibly get found out and don't get the job OR you don't get found out and get a job thats way better than you would get by being honest, making your life considerably better

Theres literally nothing to be lost by lying - but much to be gained. Why would you waste your time "working a job thats beneath you for experience" as some other posted advised?

In regards to the lying itself, the easiest way is just creating fake jobs and having your prepared friends down as references.

If you want to make it more detailed you can create a website as a backstory for this. A number of companies will alternatively do this for you, if you've got some spare cash. If you do some Googling you'll pull up lots of stuff on this:

http://www.dailydot.com/business/career-...eferences/

Can't you just make up some amazing bullshit about what've been doing with that time? Tell them you were a missionary working in a hospital in Lesotho, tell them you pulled a Steve Jobs and traveled through Asia, exploring eastern religions and creative enlightenment, tell them you tried/failed to start your own business, or just go totally red pill and tell them you went to some other countries because the culture was cooler, the food was better, and the girls were smokin' hot. Your honesty is your sharpest weapon.

What are your skills?

Fake it till you make it - everyone does sooner or later - just put "consultant" to what ever industry you are in and if they ask details say you signed NDAs as an independent subcontractor and can't talk about it.

Quote: (12-09-2015 11:19 PM)GlobalMan Wrote:  

What line of work?

What were you doing during those gaps?

There are a lot of ways things can be framed. If you were traveling/living overseas that's an easy one to make sound good. Is freelancing common in your line of work?

Become self employed and have no one to explain the gaps to.

The line of work is finance. I wasn’t doing anything during these gaps because of other issues that I cant name here.

But the “traveling” excuse I may use. But should I put that down on my resume?

I’m sure freelancing is part and parcel of finance. How would I frame that on the resume?

Also, I’ll pm you so be expecting that. Thanks.

Quote:Quote:

Have your friends as your employer references, and coach them on what to say. The only real verification they can do is background check on your address. as long as that matches, you're probably golden.

Quick question. To what extent can a background check be made? What exactly can they check and can't check?

Quote:Quote:

If you want to make it more detailed you can create a website as a backstory for this. A number of companies will alternatively do this for you, if you've got some spare cash. If you do some Googling you'll pull up lots of stuff on this

Wow! I checked the site and it looks like something I’m very confident of using. I just want to ensure that these companies that provide these services can act as good references. It’d be weird if HR calls this “reference” twice (acting as 2 different references or companies) and the same voice comes on the phone. That would be red flagged by HR and they’d suspect something funny. Hope these companies don’t make that kind of stupid mistake.

You were:

*Taking care of a sick parent/child/wife
*You were on a religious mission (I'm thinking Mormon).
*You had an illness that you were recovering from.

Something like these^^. Be creative.

“….and we will win, and you will win, and we will keep on winning, and eventually you will say… we can’t take all of this winning, …please Mr. Trump …and I will say, NO, we will win, and we will keep on winning”.

- President Donald J. Trump

Use what Yossarian just described my friend, and if you get good rapport with the interviewer and your resume is up to par, you at least have a chance. Keep in mind that your probably not the only one to use that reference website. The risk of getting caught isn't worth it

I was just on LinkedIn and one of my connections has this for his current position:

"Full Time Care Taker at Taking care of dad in his final years."

“….and we will win, and you will win, and we will keep on winning, and eventually you will say… we can’t take all of this winning, …please Mr. Trump …and I will say, NO, we will win, and we will keep on winning”.

- President Donald J. Trump

Would you mind uploading your resume to see what it looks like now? Edit out all personal information and change names of employers

One good gap filler is education.

Quote: (11-15-2014 09:06 AM)Little Dark Wrote:  
This thread is not going in the direction I was hoping for.

I had a friend who I think just fucked off for a year or two.

He put that he did bio classes for a year at a local college.

Quote: (12-10-2015 02:49 AM)Disco_Volante Wrote:  

[Image: Vandelay_Industries_T_SHIRT_royalheather_swatch.jpg]

Why do the heathen rage and the people imagine a vain thing? Psalm 2:1 KJV

I'd never pay a service to lie about employing me unless it was a really good job. Your best bets IMO are:

1) Go through a recruiter. A good recruiter will handle smoothing over your resume gaps.

2) Put down freelancer or something entrepreneurial and make sure you have a couple of friends to backstop it. This can be as simple as saying that you were hired to do X for a company that failed.

3) Do like someone else recommended and say you were taking care of a friend/relative.

Quote: (12-10-2015 07:19 PM)YossariansRight Wrote:  

You were:

Something like these^^. Be creative.

All of these say "I have baggage that will interfere with my work."
If you're going to lie, let the lie at least be a DHV.

OP, I'd recommend asking your family who they know that is an employer.
Second cousin Whatsisname could claim to have had you as an unpaid intern.

Quote: (12-20-2015 04:19 PM)DoctaWho Wrote:  

I'd never pay a service to lie about employing me unless it was a really good job. Your best bets IMO are:

1) Go through a recruiter. A good recruiter will handle smoothing over your resume gaps.

2) Put down freelancer or something entrepreneurial and make sure you have a couple of friends to backstop it. This can be as simple as saying that you were hired to do X for a company that failed.

Hello there DoctaWho. Greatly appreciate your reply. There’s a service that’s good at acting as a “previous employer” and providing references. But the problem with this is if the hiring company asks for your past W-2s from this employer, you won’t have them because you never paid taxes for it.

As to your first suggestion, I think recruiters expect a good resume to present to their clients. I don't think they'll help you lie on it since their clients expect workers to have no issues. But I could be wrong about this. Maybe someone here can shed more light on this?

As for the second suggestion, I have a friend who owned a hardware store. It operated 10 years before it failed this year. I could put that on my resume and say I either: 1) worked for it and then failed, or, 2) I was a partner and I invested money in the business but it ultimately failed.

Quote: (12-20-2015 06:51 PM)dispenser Wrote:  

Quote: (12-10-2015 07:19 PM)YossariansRight Wrote:  

You were:

All of these say "I have baggage that will interfere with my work."
If you're going to lie, let the lie at least be a DHV.

OP, I'd recommend asking your family who they know that is an employer.
Second cousin Whatsisname could claim to have had you as an unpaid intern.

Hi dispenser. I was actually thinking of putting on my resume that I:
1)Travelled abroad
2)Was a partner at a business that failed.

As for your suggestion, I do however have a family member who works for a corporation. He’s one of the executive managers. I could say that I was an unpaid intern where he worked. But the problem with this is that I’ve been unemployed for 3 1/2 years. Don’t you think a recruiter will be suspicious at that?

Quote: (12-21-2015 02:03 AM)nidall Wrote:  

Hi dispenser. I was actually thinking of putting on my resume that I:
1)Travelled abroad
2)Was a partner at a business that failed.

As for your suggestion, I do however have a family member who works for a corporation. He’s one of the executive managers. I could say that I was an unpaid intern where he worked. But the problem with this is that I’ve been unemployed for 3 1/2 years. Don’t you think a recruiter will be suspicious at that?

You could have tried one position for a year, then taken some time off, then tried another in a slightly different area.
I advise you to talk this out with your relative. He might be able to claim to have paid you.
However you manage to work it out, make sure this guy is on your Christmas list. Whiskey, cognac, something substantial.

I work in HR, and did recruiting for a long time.

Seeing a 3 years gap on a resume is usually a deal breaker.

Some suggestions :
-Say that you took those 3 years to work abroad. If you put a random Chinese/Indian/Japanese company on your resume, they probably won't call them to check references. If they do ask for references, say that your boss didn't speak good English, give a random number from the country, and they will probably give up.
-Write a fake work experience, and be prepared to give fake references (ex : one of your close friend could do it). Or you could also make your own fake references (buy another phone number on Magic Jack, change your voice a little bit, and pretend that you are your former boss).

Two things to keep in mind about HR/Recruiters :
a) We're under pressure to fill the positions quickly, so we don't put a lot of effort into checking out references.
b) Checking references is one part of our job we don't really enjoy, so we tend to neglect it.

Good luck!

Quote: (12-24-2015 09:49 AM)Soyouz Wrote:  

Seeing a 3 years gap on a resume is usually a deal breaker.

Some suggestions :
-Say that you took those 3 years to work abroad.
-Write a fake work experience, and be prepared to give fake references (ex : one of your close friend could do it).

As I said in my last post, I discussed the possibility of using a business that went under this year as my last "employer" that I never worked for. The business was a hardware store owned by a good friend who can back me up in case HR calls him.

My question therefore is, which is better? Putting down that I worked or traveled abroad or that I worked for this hardware store?