rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Stay in NYC or move to LA?

Hey guys,

So this company I interviewed with here in NYC is giving me an option to work in their downtown LA office. I'm still weighing the pros and cons. I've been in NYC for 7 years now and feel like I've taken advantage of everything it has to offer. I feel like LA would be a nice change of scenery. However, another part of me is worried i'll be making a mistake and will regret it later. A little bit about me, i'm in my mid 30's, single working professional, and mainly go out on weekends. I've been hitting the clubs for years but nowadays i'm more into bars and lounges. I'm at the point in my life where it would be awesome to meet a girl i'd like to settle down with. I've hooked up, dated, had a few girlfriends, etc. Let me tell you, finding a serious relationship in NYC is challenging. The sheer number of people makes you just another number. Everyone is easily replaceable. The popularity of dating apps has made things even worse. I've read that the gender ratios here favor men, but I can't see it to be honest. I've been to tons of meetups, social events, speed dating, etc. Most of the time it's a cockfest.

New York:
-Better logistics for pulling
-Better public transportation
-Bars stay open later
-more of an international crowd

LA:
-Better weather
-More options for outdoor stuff
-Slightly cheaper cost of living
-close to Vegas

Have any former NYers made this move? Can any LA people chime in? If I moved, most likely i'd live in Downtown so I can walk to work and there will be lots of nightlife options nearby.

Complaining about an NY cockfest and then preparing to jump into a worse LA version?? Looking at any sources on gender ratios and NY is ahead of basically anywhere in the US except a college hick town, for better ratios than NY you gotta go overseas.

Don't expect the ratios to get any better when you make the move. Most guys on here are all about the reverse move, LA to New York. I doubt finding a serious relationship is any easier than in NY. Girls have tons of options here too, and will easily disqualify you for anything serious based on distance. That has been a major factor even in mini-relationships.

Downtown LA is not a bad place to live but as the LA thread and personal experience shows the talent is just not there to a large degree. There are lots of good reasons to move to LA over NY though, and you can get laid in both cities if you have game. However the LA dating scene is worse than NY for a dude.

"I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of not trying. Everyday hit every wave, like I'm Hawaiian"

As someone who lives in LA and was just in NYC two weeks ago, I can definitely say that NYC is superior for girls.

Never been to NYC, but I've been to LA, and I'm a California native.

NY is one of the few cities in the US I would be excited to move to.

It would take a lot to get me to move to LA.

I lived in both cities,

LA is overrated, the only reason to move there is for personal and career opportunity. Family, Friends and career is a differential factor.

LA - cons

You will be spending alot of time in traffic, the international crowd is limited to UCLA/USC, the entertainment business and tourist.

LA invented traffic, I'm talking 1 hour minimum on any given day and time.

The city is more like a large suburb with mini towns. There is no central place or downtown. Meaning, girls are spread out and the talent is spread thin, to find thin and attractive girls, will become a challenge due to traffic logistic and distance. You may meet a girl in Santa Monica, but she lives in Orange county, that is like trying to date a girl from Boston, but you live in NYC.

Pro of LA

Great weather, airport provides direct flight to Asia. Thats about it. My time in LA is full of regret and disappointment. I would only move to LA in order to attend UCLA or USC or UC Santa Barbara, because my access to attractive girl is base solely on that network.

New York - Con

When winter comes, winter is coming!

The city slows down and NYC does sleep. But when summer comes it explode with interaction.

NYC- Pros

The only city where you can really do day game in north america, I don't know of any city that allows for that many approach.

NYC attracts the most attractive girls around the world. Period. Women love NYC.

NYC is the last decent pussy pseudo paradise.

If you love life, don't waste time, for time is what life is made up of.
– Bruce Lee

One must give value, but one must profit from it too, life is about balance

Born and raised in LA area. Couldn't get me to live there again.

The attitude, clique-y-ness, vapidity. Everyone is trying to be something else.
It's like being surrounded by a world of Christian McQueen's.

And maybe I'm weird, but the fact it's always sunny gets old. I need some rain, seasons, some variety.

If I had to live in SoCal again I would only live in downtown Long Beach, it has at least some elements I like.

Americans are dreamers too

I agree with most of what has been said above.

Quote: (12-06-2015 01:37 PM)azulsombra Wrote:  

Complaining about an NY cockfest and then preparing to jump into a worse LA version?? Looking at any sources on gender ratios and NY is ahead of basically anywhere in the US except a college hick town, for better ratios than NY you gotta go overseas.

Don't expect the ratios to get any better when you make the move. Most guys on here are all about the reverse move, LA to New York. I doubt finding a serious relationship is any easier than in NY. Girls have tons of options here too, and will easily disqualify you for anything serious based on distance. That has been a major factor even in mini-relationships.

Downtown LA is not a bad place to live but as the LA thread and personal experience shows the talent is just not there to a large degree. There are lots of good reasons to move to LA over NY though, and you can get laid in both cities if you have game. However the LA dating scene is worse than NY for a dude.

Yeah I know the ratio is technically the best for guys here. I only go out in Manhattan though so maybe the ratio is skewed because it includes the other boroughs which I never go to. Most likely before I make my decision, i'm gonna fly over and check out the scene for a weekend.

Quote: (12-06-2015 04:45 PM)GlobalMan Wrote:  

Born and raised in LA area. Couldn't get me to live there again.

The attitude, clique-y-ness, vapidity. Everyone is trying to be something else.
It's like being surrounded by a world of Christian McQueen's.

And maybe I'm weird, but the fact it's always sunny gets old. I need some rain, seasons, some variety.

If I had to live in SoCal again I would only live in downtown Long Beach, it has at least some elements I like.

But doesn't it depend on what area you mainly hang out in? I would think that would be more prevalent in places like Hollywood where most people are in the industry.

Quote: (12-06-2015 05:34 PM)poutsara Wrote:  

I agree with most of what has been said above.

I've never lived in New York, but I've been there. I know LA very well, spent many years there.

Do not move to LA for the girls, but move to LA if it works for your career and you enjoy good weather, the beach, outdoor activities, hiking, all of that.

You say you are open to finding a girl to settle down with. No idea if that's going to be easier or worse in LA for you, probably no worse than New York. I will say that the girls who come to live in LA for the sake of living in LA are likely not going to be good prospects, at least for the long term. The girls who move to LA to chase the idea of fame and Hollywood are only good for one thing. The ones who grew up in LA are somewhat better; it's not their fault where they grew up.

You can find decent girls in LA if you look though. Focus on the first or second generation immigrants who are close to their families.

The key to avoiding traffic is to live near your work and work in a good location. Sounds like you have money and a good job, so this should not be a problem.

Nightlife is sub-par in LA compared to New York. My best party weekends in Los Angeles where actually in Las Vegas.

Yeah I plan to live within walking distance to work, and also near a subway station if I make the move. My career is fine in either city but I'd have to rebuild my social and professional network again. I do love the weather in LA. The first snowfall here is always nice, but it gets nasty when it turns into brown sludge and you have to walk into a random store to take shelter from the cold. Winters, crowded streets and packed subways get old real quick. As great as it is, it's a very stressful place to live and can take its toll after a number of years. I know lots of transplants that leave after a couple of years. It's not for everyone. But I think you're right about not moving to LA for the girls.

I lived in LA for 6 months and had a great time. Though there were a few things I had going for me. Most notably I had a social circle of people who graduated college after me and I would spend time with them. Secondly, I had a hot car at the time which made living in LA a breeze. If you live in LA, get a car. No questions asked, if you can get a convertible. It's the only place where you can live and not have to worry about the felt top getting ruined by snow.

Personally, after growing up in the north east and dealing with 1+ ft of a snow for years living in LA was such an amazing switch. I miss the town and the friends I had there.

As for you OP, if you want to consider it and have the funds to do so move into the corporate housing complex in Toluca Hills called the Oakwoods. This place is an apartment complex that you can get furnished. They also have a pool, hot tub, and fitness center. The complex is open for anyone, but mostly caters to wannabe actors and actresses looking to make it there. You'll also find a plethora of students there who intern locally.

I met a ton of stunners just hanging around and drinking beer at the hot tubs. I met some really solid dudes when I lived there and would hang out with them often at the pool.

The kicker for me was I met this 26 year old Russian actress who invited me to a Grammy pre party. It cost me 60$ to get in, but I ended up meeting some of the event planners smoking a cigarette. They gave me a VIP ticket to the roof top. Some B and C level celebs were there, but the entertainment networking events can definitely score you some great business and social connections. Getting to walk on the red carpet was pretty awesome even though I was definitely a no body.

With that in mind, try and find an apartment complex with a pool, hot tub combo. You can hang out at these places and meet cool people who live at the complex. The place I gave above is in a perfect location. About 20 minutes downtown with with traffic (talking 5-10 minutes without) and 40 minutes to Santa Monica. You're within a short cab distance to Hollywood if you really feel the need to hang with the goof balls who roll there.

Personally, I'd consider moving back even with all of the problems (mass immigration, bankrupt state, and crime). The weather, music, and 420 scene just makes it for me.

Quote: (12-07-2015 11:30 AM)The Beast1 Wrote:  

I lived in LA for 6 months and had a great time. Though there were a few things I had going for me. Most notably I had a social circle of people who graduated college after me and I would spend time with them. Secondly, I had a hot car at the time which made living in LA a breeze. If you live in LA, get a car. No questions asked, if you can get a convertible. It's the only place where you can live and not have to worry about the felt top getting ruined by snow.

Personally, after growing up in the north east and dealing with 1+ ft of a snow for years living in LA was such an amazing switch. I miss the town and the friends I had there.

As for you OP, if you want to consider it and have the funds to do so move into the corporate housing complex in Toluca Hills called the Oakwoods. This place is an apartment complex that you can get furnished. They also have a pool, hot tub, and fitness center. The complex is open for anyone, but mostly caters to wannabe actors and actresses looking to make it there. You'll also find a plethora of students there who intern locally.

I met a ton of stunners just hanging around and drinking beer at the hot tubs. I met some really solid dudes when I lived there and would hang out with them often at the pool.

The kicker for me was I met this 26 year old Russian actress who invited me to a Grammy pre party. It cost me 60$ to get in, but I ended up meeting some of the event planners smoking a cigarette. They gave me a VIP ticket to the roof top. Some B and C level celebs were there, but the entertainment networking events can definitely score you some great business and social connections. Getting to walk on the red carpet was pretty awesome even though I was definitely a no body.

With that in mind, try and find an apartment complex with a pool, hot tub combo. You can hang out at these places and meet cool people who live at the complex. The place I gave above is in a perfect location. About 20 minutes downtown with with traffic (talking 5-10 minutes without) and 40 minutes to Santa Monica. You're within a short cab distance to Hollywood if you really feel the need to hang with the goof balls who roll there.

Personally, I'd consider moving back even with all of the problems (mass immigration, bankrupt state, and crime). The weather, music, and 420 scene just makes it for me.

Nice! Yeah it definitely helps to network and meet the right people. Like I said, i'm pretty set on living in downtown if I decide to go through with it. Some of the nicer apartments do have the pool, bbq, etc. Though I assume the residents there are less "hollywood" than in other areas. I would definitely have to rebuild my social and professional network from scratch which might pose some challenges. I'm not the super outgoing type but I can make it happen if needed. I do have a car and plan to ship it. It would be nice cruising around the canyons and the PCH. So how come you left LA?

Quote: (12-06-2015 12:38 PM)goonies Wrote:  

Hey guys,

... Everyone is easily replaceable. The popularity of dating apps has made things even worse. I've read that the gender ratios here favor men, but I can't see it to be honest. I've been to tons of meetups, social events, speed dating, etc. Most of the time it's a cockfest.

New York:
-Better logistics for pulling
-Better public transportation
-Bars stay open later
-more of an international crowd

LA:
-Better weather
-More options for outdoor stuff
-Slightly cheaper cost of living
-close to Vegas
Experience with both places.

New York City during the week and during the weekend are two different animals. Can you dress well and say walk below 14th in Manhattan during a weekday with a wing? Would you feel the same about your question if it were Spring right now?

Vegas, speed dating and clubs are kinda fun in your 20s. In your 30s, I don't know, a bit plebeian? However, if you prefer more outdoorsy women and despise the cold, Los Angeles may be a far better option.

The only reason I can think of if you should move is if you're making "New York money" in LA ($200k+). The only other reason is if you're sick of day to day life in New York, since you kind of seem like you need a change of pace.

I personally wouldn't live in downtown, I'd probably live in Los Feliz where its a little better quality of life (and you can easily take the red line downtown). If you must live downtown, live in the Arts district and that's not really very walkable to the big buildings downtown. There's a new whole foods on 8th and Grand that have some decent looking apartments too, I think that's near FIDM and would be good. I just can't see myself wanting to live downtown. There isn't that much cool stuff to do, the people aren't as cool as other parts of LA. Miracle Mile/Los Feliz blow it out of the water.

If you have decent bank roll and are dialed into a good job with good networking, it might be good. If you're a financial "suit", you may not do that well in LA with the girls as in NY as careers like that aren't really an advantage.

Downtown LA, despite all the hype, isn't very awesome especially coming from New York. I saw that Beast1 mentioned the Oakwood in Toluca Lake, yeah there are some decently hot girls out there but going down the 101 from the Valley day in day out will suck. Plus, not a fan of the Valley, personally.

Girls aside, the lifestyle here is very good though. Weather, things to do, food, travel options, etc.

Quote: (12-07-2015 07:47 PM)Drazen Wrote:  

The only reason I can think of if you should move is if you're making "New York money" in LA ($200k+). The only other reason is if you're sick of day to day life in New York, since you kind of seem like you need a change of pace.

I personally wouldn't live in downtown, I'd probably live in Los Feliz where its a little better quality of life (and you can easily take the red line downtown). If you must live downtown, live in the Arts district and that's not really very walkable to the big buildings downtown. There's a new whole foods on 8th and Grand that have some decent looking apartments too, I think that's near FIDM and would be good. I just can't see myself wanting to live downtown. There isn't that much cool stuff to do, the people aren't as cool as other parts of LA. Miracle Mile/Los Feliz blow it out of the water.

If you have decent bank roll and are dialed into a good job with good networking, it might be good. If you're a financial "suit", you may not do that well in LA with the girls as in NY as careers like that aren't really an advantage.

Downtown LA, despite all the hype, isn't very awesome especially coming from New York. I saw that Beast1 mentioned the Oakwood in Toluca Lake, yeah there are some decently hot girls out there but going down the 101 from the Valley day in day out will suck. Plus, not a fan of the Valley, personally.

Girls aside, the lifestyle here is very good though. Weather, things to do, food, travel options, etc.

What do you mean by the people aren't as cool? Isn't Los Feliz hipster central? How would you describe the crowd in Downtown? I never knew Miracle Mile was a happening spot. For Downtown, I was looking at apartments in the historic core. My network in LA is virtually non-existant so i'd have to build that back up again. I was also considering Koreatown, although some of the nicer apartments there are close to dtla prices.

There are some hipsters in Los Feliz (more in Silverlake and Echo Park), but you'll mostly get people working in Hollywood that have a little more money. People are laid back. Its a pretty nice area, there are a lot of girls who live there, shop at normal groceries, etc. In downtown you'll get a lot of transients and working class people walking around. Sure, there are some hip bars but most of the people that really hang out there come from other areas for a "night out" on the town. I just think coming from New York you'll be shocked at how bad it is downtown. Things aren't open late, there are a lot of bums, there aren't really that many hot girls that live there, and there's relatively nothing fun to do there during the day. Its kind of depressing to be honest out there.

I think you'll be more "geographically desirable" for the dating pool if you live in Los Feliz or around Miracle Mile (Los Feliz is way closer and again, you can just take the red line if you live walking distance near the station which you probably should if you do live there).

Don't live in Koreatown either. Its a high density area of nothingness. I just don't see what you'll do out there, its hard to park anywhere if you have guests and people just don't do stuff there other than eat korean food.

Miracle Mile, I was talking about somewhere along 3rd street or Beverly Blvd between La Cieniega and La Brea. Tons of hot girls, very small community and tons to do in that area. Its far from downtown though but IMO one of the best areas to live in LA.

Quote: (12-08-2015 05:42 PM)Drazen Wrote:  

There are some hipsters in Los Feliz (more in Silverlake and Echo Park), but you'll mostly get people working in Hollywood that have a little more money. People are laid back. Its a pretty nice area, there are a lot of girls who live there, shop at normal groceries, etc. In downtown you'll get a lot of transients and working class people walking around. Sure, there are some hip bars but most of the people that really hang out there come from other areas for a "night out" on the town. I just think coming from New York you'll be shocked at how bad it is downtown. Things aren't open late, there are a lot of bums, there aren't really that many hot girls that live there, and there's relatively nothing fun to do there during the day. Its kind of depressing to be honest out there.

I think you'll be more "geographically desirable" for the dating pool if you live in Los Feliz or around Miracle Mile (Los Feliz is way closer and again, you can just take the red line if you live walking distance near the station which you probably should if you do live there).

Don't live in Koreatown either. Its a high density area of nothingness. I just don't see what you'll do out there, its hard to park anywhere if you have guests and people just don't do stuff there other than eat korean food.

Miracle Mile, I was talking about somewhere along 3rd street or Beverly Blvd between La Cieniega and La Brea. Tons of hot girls, very small community and tons to do in that area. Its far from downtown though but IMO one of the best areas to live in LA.

I'll definitely look into Los Feliz. The Vermont/Sunset station is in East Hollywood but maybe I can find a place close enough to walk. I get what you're saying that Downtown is more working class and corporate type people, but I feel like that's where I fit in. I don't work in the entertainment industry. I think ultimately i'll have to check out each neighborhood to get the overall vibe. But you're right, people care a lot about where you live. In NYC, lots of girls won't even date you if you don't live in Manhattan. Downtown LA is expensive though. Hopefully Los Feliz isn't much more.

Yeah, anywhere a block away from Vermont would be good, its a walkable street, there are date spots, bars and my favorite bar in LA, the Dresden.

Quote: (12-08-2015 07:27 PM)Drazen Wrote:  

Yeah, anywhere a block away from Vermont would be good, its a walkable street, there are date spots, bars and my favorite bar in LA, the Dresden.

After doing some research, I see that Culver City comes up pretty often. What's your opinion? I could take the train to work, and also be somewhat close to the beaches and westside. But how is the city itself in terms of nightlife, walkability, girls, etc. Is it geographically desirable?

Culver City is decent logistically as it puts you right by the 10 and 405. Soon the train will extend to Santa Monica making it easy to ride to the beach.

"I'm not afraid of dying, I'm afraid of not trying. Everyday hit every wave, like I'm Hawaiian"

Culver is where people live while they are in transition figuring out where to really live in LA. Its decent, but if you could swing Los Feliz I'd do that in a heartbeat over Culver.

The metro line is probably the most "hood" one, going along Crenshaw and the USC area before getting downtown.

Culver is where Robert Downey Jr. got arrested for walking barefoot high on drugs at 6am. Granted a lot has changed since then, but you don't want to live there. Los Feliz is a good choice, bonus points if you are walking distance to the red line.

Quote: (12-11-2015 03:24 PM)Drazen Wrote:  

Culver is where people live while they are in transition figuring out where to really live in LA.

The metro line is probably the most "hood" one, going along Crenshaw and the USC area before getting downtown.

Nah, the most hood one is the blue line that runs from Long Beach to downtown giving you a nice tour of watts and compton graffiti. 2nd most hood line is the green line which glides through south LA.

Los Angeles is vast and diverse, culturally and ethnically, but it's spread out geography and laid-back beach vibe sort of dilute it's cosmopolitan/internationalism. The west coast is more disintegrated and LA simply does not have the urban feel and amenities of NY, DC, Chicago, and SF. People are not as cliquish, have a bigger concept of geography, and will be willing to listen to your story. However, logistics are a frequent problem, freeway traffic will wear on you, you'll probably find your corner of LA and stick to it. There are a lot of very economically unstable young (and not so young) people around LA, especially in the beach/entertainment areas. Lots of mainstream entertainment wannabes, sleazy SoCal alt girls with tats and piercings. Heavy droves of visible minorities like probably nowhere else in the USA. This is interracial dating ground zero. I dated mostly CA-born 2nd gen ethnic types when I lived in Los Angeles, particularly Asians. You can find more attractions and date ideas in the suburbs than in other metros, and there are a large amount of perpetually single women in SoCal, but often for a bad reason. Watch out for the washed up late-20s/30s CA party girl. Watch out for recently-divorced cougars and minxs. Get ready to rely less on hardcore night game and using more day game, online dating, meet up groups, house parties, etc to meet women.

Thanks guys. Culver City is more expensive than I thought.