rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Stopping sore throat in its tracks

Will be on my way to PI in less than 24 hours. Flights, condo booked, dates pipelined. Now I feel like I'm coming down with some sort of flu/sore throat shit. This simply cannot be allowed to happen.

I already broke my 3-year no antibiotics streak and went preemptive strike with Amoxicillin and upped my B-C-D-Zinc-Magnesium combo to double dose. I'll rub vicks all over myself before I go to sleep.

What else would you guys recommend?

“Our great danger is not that we aim too high and fail, but that we aim too low and succeed.” ― Rollo Tomassi

Lots and lots of water. Keep eating as well.

I clear phlegm out of my throat as often as I can. Once it's yellow, you are fucked. A little yellow is fine, but once it goes full yellow, you have an infection on your hands that gets worse.

The antibiotics should cut it. But I don't see why you are asking a playboy forum for medical advice.

^ That would probably because this forum is much more than a simple playboy forum.

As for OP, gargling with warm salt water usually is a good preventative measure to take when you start to feel a soar throat.

I don't know if it is available in your area but I would also start drinking Airborne [ http://www.airbornehealth.com/ ] anytime I start feeling sick. Whether it is the placebo effect or it actually works I am not 100% sure but I can say it's part of my "don't get sick" ritual.

You did most of the reasonable things - other than laying low for a while and drinking lots of hot tea, there's nothing more to do. But I don't agree with taking antibiotics so frivolously. You don't even know if it's something caused by bacteria, let alone the kind of bacteria that could be killed by Amoxicilin.

My advice is to not force it and find a sweet PI girl to take care of you if you get sick. Win-win.

"Imagine" by HCE | Hitler reacts to Battle of Montreal | An alternative use for squid that has never crossed your mind before

The majority of throat infections are early symptoms of a cold or flu virus, and amoxicillin will not do anything for you. If you are at the early enough stage where you feel a little soreness but nothing else and no dark yellow phlegm like Moreless said, then a full-on infection still might be preventable. Just drink lots of (warm) fluids, and get a massive sleep (I'm talking 9+ hours). When you are awake keep your mind occupied with exciting and engaging thoughts (e.g. the destination of your travel) because any little bit of stress and concern about your state can only cause inflammation and make it worse.

In the absence of any other symptoms a sore throat can mean all sorts of things.

What color is your phelgm? Is it green, yellow, clear?

Depending on the color that can indicate an upper respiratory tract infection. Antibiotics are effectively useless against these types of infections. You may think you're getting better, but most of the time they're viral and you will quickly relapse back into gunky throats.

Guafnessian (Mucinex) is the easiest way to slow down phelgm and start to help your throat heal up. Gurgling hydrogen peroxide will also help clean up any bad stuff as well as kill any germs in the general area.

I'd also consider getting a neti pot and flushing semi daily. I've added small amounts of H2O2 diluted in a lot of water to kill anything in the nose.

Finally, a humidifier in your home will greatly aid your body's ability to fight off infection. It's that time of year when the air dries out which isn't good for your nose.

Big doses of Vitamin C. I take ten tabs when I feel a cold coming on.

They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety- Benjamin Franklin, as if you didn't know...

^What Roberto says, at least 1000mg of Vitamin C in the morning, another dose at night. All with food.

Also, I gargle with Iodine solutions, some are marketed specially to treat sore throat. Can be found over the counter, no big deal.

In South Africa we have an alcohol-based antiseptic throat spray called Orochlor, which contains chlorhexidine for good measure. Generally works really well, much better than gargling, because you can spray directly on the infected area. It does burn slightly but nothing intolerable.

I'm not sure if your country has a similar product but perhaps you can inquire at your local pharmacy.

one or two table spoons of honey, half a squeezed lemon, mix with hot water in a tea cup.

if i have a sore throat or any congestion i drink 2 of these in the morning and one or two before i go to sleep. always works wonders for me.

I've tried everything in the book to try and I'm convinced the best way to kill BOTH the symptom and the cold is apple cider vinegar. Gargle 1 tbsp with half a glass of hot water for 30 seconds in increments and drink it down. Kills the uncomfortable throat feel and makes the body more acidic which ailments do not like.

Be careful about those Neti pots. I've read of a case where a brain-eating Protozoa was introduced in that manner.

If only you knew how bad things really are.

Quote: (12-05-2015 03:45 PM)RexImperator Wrote:  

Be careful about those Neti pots. I've read of a case where a brain-eating Protozoa was introduced in that manner.

Good call. I read about that too. If you're gonna use it, boil the water first then let it cool down before using.

Homemade tip...

1. Buy ginger root at a local supermarket
2. Cut about a thumbs worth then peel it
3. Cut that it into smaller sqaure pieces
4. Put some water in a pot and set it to boil
5. Drop your ginger squares into it
6. Wait 5-10 minutes
7. Pour this tea into a cup and sweeten with honey
8. If an extra kick is needed crush a vitamin C tablet and drop it in

This shit will feel like its spicy so be careful if you're not used to ginger, but it will cure any cold

Quote: (11-15-2014 09:06 AM)Little Dark Wrote:  
This thread is not going in the direction I was hoping for.

I've used Echinacea tea in the past and believe it really helps, but who knows. Take it with some honey and let that tea steep, covered for a good 10-15 mins.

[Image: braggs_acv_1.jpg]

Bruising cervix since 96
#TeamBeard
"I just want to live out my days drinking virgin margaritas and banging virgin señoritas" - Uncle Cr33pin

Quote: (12-05-2015 02:43 AM)Jesus Christ Wrote:  

The antibiotics should cut it. But I don't see why you are asking a playboy forum for medical advice.

I know you banned now bro, but you obviously don't get this forum if you think it's surprising for "playboys" to be concerned about their health.

And besides, excess Vit C is going to be far more useful than antibiotics for a sore throat. You don't need to be a Doctor to realise that.

Quote: (12-05-2015 08:48 PM)Lizard King Wrote:  

And besides, excess Vit C is going to be far more useful than antibiotics for a sore throat. You don't need to be a Doctor to realise that.

Besides the fact that I've met legions of patients with sore throats that refused to respond to self-medication with Vitamin C, I also don't get the point of feeding bacteria with extra vitamins.

Bacteria also need vitamins, when you take vitamins when you are ill, you risk making an infection worse. This is why the body naturally makes you lose your appetite when you are ill - it's the body's way of starving the little critters, because they feed on whatever you eat.

Probably too late to be of use to the OP, but the best thing to do when you are feeling a cold coming on is to put on some warm clothes get under the covers with as many blankets as possible and sleep. The idea is to get your body temperature up enough to roast the virus. You will know that you have successfully done this when you wake up in the middle of the night in a sweat. Stay hydrated and warm and take it easy in the days that follow.

Thanks Dr. Thomas.

No need to flame war guys, a few shots of ACV did the trick. Although, Stronglifts 5x5 three times a week and juicing every day probably played a part as well.
Apparently, best way to fight off a sickness is to not get sick in the first place.

“Our great danger is not that we aim too high and fail, but that we aim too low and succeed.” ― Rollo Tomassi

10mg of vitamin C a day until the symptoms clear.

Quote: (12-05-2015 02:49 AM)cascadecombo Wrote:  

^ That would probably because this forum is much more than a simple playboy forum.

As for OP, gargling with warm salt water usually is a good preventative measure to take when you start to feel a soar throat.

I don't know if it is available in your area but I would also start drinking Airborne [ http://www.airbornehealth.com/ ] anytime I start feeling sick. Whether it is the placebo effect or it actually works I am not 100% sure but I can say it's part of my "don't get sick" ritual.

I talked to an old Asian woman doctor once when I had a sore throat.

Old doctors have seen a lot, seen their recommendations work, not work, if they are intelligent ( almost all are) they've listened, tried, seen failure and success.

She said "Salt water is still the best. As hot as you can stand it"

I think she also said 3x a day.