rooshvforum.network is a fully functional forum: you can search, register, post new threads etc...
Old accounts are inaccessible: register a new one, or recover it when possible. x

Turn on, tune in, drop out

The 1960's psychedelic guru Timothy Leary was famous for these words, "turn on, tune in, drop out", I believe it was at the "Human be-in" a large counter-culture gathering in San Francisco in 1967 that he said it in a speech to the crowd.

Today I was just thinking with election season, ISIS, the war(s) in the Middle East, and terrorism in France, there are a lot of people getting whipped into a frenzy and on a smaller scale guys on this forum as well.

I have a degree in political science and read the news daily, I think it is important to stay informed, but recently I have been "turning on, tuning in, and dropping out."

What I mean by that is while in the past I would take to arguments about society, culture, and politics, passionately making my case for my beliefs, recently I have been not giving a fuck about what other people think, what mainstream society thinks, what conservatives think, what liberal SJW's think, etc...

Instead I have been focusing on myself and while I still have my beliefs, I know that they are mine, and while I can listen to those who may have a vastly different outlook, opinions, and ideas, I don't take what they have to say to heart. I don't let it affect me, on any kind of emotional or psychological level.

I have a guy that I train with who is former U.S. military, he's extremely right wing, I suspect borderline racist, he's very anti-Islam, anti-immmigration, etc., and is constantly posting right wing stuff on Facebook. In the past it would have bothered me, but now I kind of just chuckle and brush it off, and realize that if anything he's wasting a lot of mental and emotional time and energy by allowing all this stuff to piss him off so much, he's got so much negativity, and it's obviously affecting him on some level, especially if he's constantly posting and ranting about it on Facebook.

So what is my solution and how do I intent to "turn on, tune in, and drop out", my personal solution is just to try to be a self-reliant as possible, and not get caught up in all the geo-political bullshit going on in the world. I want to just focus on myself and build my own "fortress of solitude" so to speak, metaphorically and literally.

While I can acknowledge the benefits of living in a bigger town, city, urban environment, especially when it comes to access to women, and the excitement of urban living with it's bars, night clubs, concerts, etc. I'm starting to think more and more about "checking out" of society.

I live in a remote and beautiful part of California, it is my hope in the future to buy some land, hopefully within a half hour of town, but still far enough away, where I can have my own little "kingdom", a homestead where I try to live more self-sufficient and sustainable, growing my own food, raising animals, creating alternative energy, etc.

Basically I want to escape from the rat race that we are inevitably drawn into by modern society, and create my own little eden, a place where worries about immigration, mass shootings, terrorism, and all the ills of society will fade away. In other words "turn on, tune in, and drop out." Turn on to my purpose, tune in to a more zen state of mind and lifestyle, and drop out of the rat race and the ills of modern day Babylon.

This is not that hard to do. Build some income streams, buy your cheap land, and have a little garden. Should be doable in California or many other places.

Quote: (11-20-2015 06:25 AM)Menace Wrote:  

This is not that hard to do. Build some income streams, buy your cheap land, and have a little garden. Should be doable in California or many other places.

OG in his little garden

[img][Image: zkhi1d.jpg][/img]

Just make sure to get a princess in your kingdom so you wont get too lonely

A lot of interesting, competent people are already doing this:

http://permies.com/

As for women, an earth mother hippie chick who can actually do shit, though she might be a few points lower on the 1 to 10 scale than you'd like, still wouldn't be bad:

“The greatest burden a child must bear is the unlived life of its parents.”

Carl Jung